PDA

View Full Version : The Dark Eldar at Medusa V

War Angel
12-11-2010, 21:12
I've been reading the latest White Dwarf (370 US) and it got me into a
Dark Eldar kind of mood. I also happened to have my Medusa V campaign
booklet nearby. Reading the Dark Eldar section got me very interested in
No'akei, Daughter of Pain. :cool: The idea that she once was the handmaiden
of Asdrubael Vect himself and then lost favor is the start to a great story.
After her exile she gets a force together and gets win after win. And then how
it talks about her plans to overthrow Vect and take leadership for herself. :evilgrin:

So my question is was No'akei successful in getting enough slaves etc. to
make her move on Vect and leadership? :skull: Did they Dark Eldar in general
do well? Is there anything new maybe in the Codex or are we left hanging?

nagash66
12-11-2010, 21:25
If i remeber right she did do well on medusa, but she got betrayed by her underlings to Vect and so her plans failed.

Drasanil
12-11-2010, 21:48
IIRC she kicked butt and looked to be on the verge of sucess, but once she made her move at Vect's court Vect basicly went "Just as planned" and all the DE highborn had many lulz at her expense.

stonethecrow01
12-11-2010, 22:26
Basically what has been said. It never said she died tho just implied she was in for a very painful demise in the very near future. I wish she had been in the new codex =)

DantesInferno
12-11-2010, 22:40
Here's a copy of the Dark Eldar aftermath of the Medusa V campaign. I've got this from a different forum but it is in line with what I remember about the background piece:

The Screaming Holds of the victorious battlefleet heralded the return of No’akei, Daughter of Pain, to Commorragh. The slave pits, filled to overflowing with the captured millions taken from that doomed planet, would secure the support No’akei needed to finally overthrow Vect and gain her revenge in the most public way possible.

Arrogantly sweeping down the boarding ramp of her flagship, No’akei’s cold gaze swept across the stark architecture of the Dark City. A mirthless smile flitted across her full lips, the flash of her teeth glinting in the sullen light. Surveying the figures moving through the darkness, satisfaction danced over her face as she played through the imminent confrontation in her head. The return of her stature in the Dark Tower would come with the expulsion of Vect – a twin-joy she would bask in for years.

The gathered Archons and their collected retinues huddled in the Hall of Blood, a huge theatre at the centre of the Dark Tower, where the decisions of the Black Heart Kabal were made. Their lowered voices spoke of the anticipation surrounding the return of the Daughter of Pain. She would certainly challenge Vect – the reports of her armies’ countless victories on the doomed Mon-Keigh planet assured her presence here could mean nothing else.

Asdrubael Vect himself sat with his cadre in the throne of honour at one end of the huge hall. He studied the nobles surrounding him with the calm self-assurance expected of one who had sat at the very head of their Kabal for so many years. The rivers of blood he had spilled and the pain and misery he had caused were second to none in the long history of their dark kin. He caressed the handle of his ornate staff and considered the events that were about to unfold.

The colossal doors at the end of the hall swung open to reveal the expected figure of No’akei, flanked on either side by warriors of her own inner circle, as well as the Crimson Council, the Dark Court, Red Tide, and many others. The regal posture she held caused a stir in the halls and all eyes turned to watch the procession as she glided down the wide walkway toward the arena floor.

Vect slammed his staff down onto the black marble floor bringing immediate and complete silence to the hall. He stared down at the graceful figure of No’Akei still advancing towards his position.

“You dare to return, No’akei?” Vect snarled as he raised a mocking eyebrow. “After we last spoke, I am somewhat surprised that you would wish to show your face here. Surely you do not expect me to welcome you back, even with your paltry offerings gathered from that rock the Mon-keigh had been claiming as their own?”

No’akei stared unflinchingly up at the Dark Lord, a knowing grin settling over her face.

“I do not come for your welcome, Vect,” she spat. “I come for your throne! The victories I have delivered stand unmatched by any of our kin. With those loyal to my cause, I return to remove you.”

“So…a challenge? You must have many followers to be so bold, No’Akei. Many of your fellow Archons in your thrall, many Lords who pay you homage to push you to dare contest my throne… Have you these followers, Daughter of Pain, or are you wasting our time? The punishment for that would be worse than your banishment.”

“Waste your time? You are wasting everyone’s time! You know you are outmatched here, shadowed by one who has always been your better. Now bow before me and what I have accomplished or be forever shamed. You are nothing any more, Vect!” The furious passion in her voice broke through No’Akei’s calm exterior; she had been waiting for this for too long.

“Then call your followers, No’Akei, and let it be settled!”

“Very well. Stand, all my allies, and be counted. Let us take what is ours!” With that call, No’Akei closed her eyes and raised her long, graceful arms towards the ceiling to draw her comrades to join her in finally throwing over the Lord in whose shadow she had so long been forced to dwell. “See my power,Vect?” No’Akei could hear movements from around the hall, the hundreds of Lords who had professed their loyalty to her in exchange for the souls of the countless victims she and her armies had captured on Medusa V, standing to face her hated adversary.

“Is this some sort of pathetic jest?” The voice of Asdrubael Vect was filled with a mocking tone that shattered the moment in No’Akei’s mind.

No’akei clenched her teeth, anger and frustration contesting with fear as the realisation of her fate dawned on her. With Vect’s words, No’Akei knew she had been betrayed, her audacious plan had been foiled. Her own betrayal had been ruined by the betrayal of others. She knew what she would see when she opened her eyes, knew it and would be able to do nothing about it. Her plans had been so bold, her victories immense, but it would make no difference. Vect had won again.

FarseerMatt
12-11-2010, 22:52
EDIT - Ah, Dante got in first. To put the story in context:

The Dark Eldar did okay, ranking around 5th or 6th of the 9 factions for most of the campaign.

They initially teamed up with the craftworld Eldar at the behest of a Harlequin (?) known as "The Cloaked One" but the Dark Eldar players, acting in character, started to split into factions, with some voting to backstab their craftworld cousins round about week 5. Unfortunately the Eldar players got wind of this, and led a pre-emptive strike.

The Dark Eldar managed to hold their position in 5th over the next few weeks but didn't make the gains they wanted and so the players, in another beautiful bit of in-character roleplaying, continued to scheme behind each others backs. Some supported No'Akei, but a larger group - led IIRC by our own warseer poster IncubiLord - wanted to turn the campaign on its head by betraying her and deposing her as leader (for general incompetence and for pissing off the Harlequins). This was taken into account by GW when they wrote the final reports, and so No'Akei was screwed over when she got back to Commoragh.

Gimp
12-11-2010, 23:03
EDIT - Ah, Dante got in first. To put the story in context:

The Dark Eldar did okay, ranking around 5th or 6th of the 9 factions for most of the campaign.

They initially teamed up with the craftworld Eldar at the behest of a Harlequin (?) known as "The Cloaked One" but the Dark Eldar players, acting in character, started to split into factions, with some voting to backstab their craftworld cousins round about week 5. Unfortunately the Eldar players got wind of this, and led a pre-emptive strike.

The Dark Eldar managed to hold their position in 5th over the next few weeks but didn't make the gains they wanted and so the players, in another beautiful bit of in-character roleplaying, continued to scheme behind each others backs. Some supported No'Akei, but a larger group - led IIRC by our own warseer poster IncubiLord - wanted to turn the campaign on its head by betraying her and deposing her as leader (for general incompetence and for pissing off the Harlequins). This was taken into account by GW when they wrote the final reports, and so No'Akei was screwed over when she got back to Commoragh.

I was under the idea that the ending was a lame way of maintaining the status quo. However after what you just said the ending is just plain epic

madd0ct0r
13-11-2010, 01:14
Yeah. It really brings something extra to the background. I liked the story before, but now it's just as full of irony as a raw heart.

War Angel
13-11-2010, 02:18
Wow great ending. Thank you DantesInferno. :yes: Surprising that No'akei's efforts lead to nothing.
She closed her eyes, raised her arms and thought her "allies" would appear. But it looks like what I'm
guessing is classic Dark Eldar and they back stab her.

And I agree that she's not killed right away. That would be too easy and to good for someone
who took on the head guy. I heard somwhere that if you go after a leader you better make
sure you get them. This proves that. So I'm guessing she's being tortured in some very horrible way. :evilgrin:
Something harsh even by Dark Eldar standards. Probably with anyone who could be identified as
having been on her side at one point.

Now I'm wondering if they just didn't side with her for real because of lack of belief in her cause or
were they so affraid of Vect that they'd rather fight on his side due to fearsome reputataion.

baphomael
13-11-2010, 04:52
Wow great ending. Thank you DantesInferno. :yes: Surprising that No'akei's efforts lead to nothing.
She closed her eyes, raised her arms and thought her "allies" would appear. But it looks like what I'm

And I agree that she's not killed right away. That would be too easy and to good for someone
who took on the head guy. I heard somwhere that if you go after a leader you better make
sure you get them. This proves that. So I'm guessing she's being tortured in some very horrible way. :evilgrin:
Something harsh even by Dark Eldar standards. Probably with anyone who could be identified as

Now I'm wondering if they just didn't side with her for real because of lack of belief in her cause or
were they so affraid of Vect that they'd rather fight on his side due to fearsome reputataion.

Yeap, probably a very nasty fate by DE standards. Not because she was treacherous and attempted a coup against Vect (afterall, these are DE we are talking about, its expected) but because she had the audacity to fail at it. For the DE, its not about the crime...its about getting caught for the crime :p

War Angel
13-11-2010, 05:00
Yeap, probably a very nasty fate by DE standards. Not because she was treacherous and attempted a coup against Vect (afterall, these are DE we are talking about, its expected) but because she had the audacity to fail at it. For the DE, its not about the crime...its about getting caught for the crime :p
So trying to kill the leader they're ok with? :rolleyes: Sounds like they don't care who's in charge.
But lose your attempt and it's Wheel of Torture time. I love it. :evilgrin:

Zander77
13-11-2010, 05:13
Now hang on a minute...I remember the Dark Eldar making a big push at the end, but they mysteriously ended up worse than they were supposed too, and there was a bunch of talk of conspiracy, because they imperials couldn't get beaten by the "bad guys."

baphomael
13-11-2010, 16:33
So trying to kill the leader they're ok with? :rolleyes: Sounds like they don't care who's in charge.
But lose your attempt and it's Wheel of Torture time. I love it. :evilgrin:

Yea, the only reason DE follow other DE is because they havn't got round to usurping them yet ;)

War Angel
13-11-2010, 17:21
Yea, the only reason DE follow other DE is because they havn't got round to usurping them yet ;)
Sounds like they have a philosophy of "Do unto others before they do unto you." :evilgrin:

Son of Sanguinius
13-11-2010, 18:27
Sounds like they have a philosophy of "Do unto others before they do unto you." :evilgrin:

More like "Do unto others as you will, for such is your birthright."

Lord Damocles
13-11-2010, 18:37
...there was a bunch of talk of conspiracy, because they imperials couldn't get beaten by the "bad guys."
Just like in the Eye of Terror campaign, eh?

*Is clubbed into unconciousness and dragged away to 40K General*

Drasanil
13-11-2010, 18:41

Of course they're not ok with it. If she'd usurped Vect that would have put a real crimp in all the other Archons' plans to usurp Vect, they care, they care a lot! Never say such a horrible thing again the dark eldar are an incredibly carring and sofisticated race:)

SgtTaters
14-11-2010, 07:20
Was noakei antagonistic towards the craftworld eldar?

If yes, that's probably why she got disposed. There's a tendency for Eldar of both colors to team up if they have to fight everyone else.

TheLaughingGod
14-11-2010, 08:15
Just like in the Eye of Terror campaign, eh?

*Is clubbed into unconciousness and dragged away to 40K General*

Eldar win a huge victory kill Abbadon.
He survives and Eldrad is killed as our reward.

At least Vect didn't die for our *reward*

DantesInferno
14-11-2010, 08:18

Not necessarily. No'akei's story is pretty much identical to that of Khirareq in the back of the 3rd ed Dark Eldar Codex.

Khirareq is a Dracon who launches a coup to displace her Archon, Akhara'Keth. Khirareq slays her Archon's advisor but before she can dispatch Akhara'Keth, her warriors are slain by Incubi and Mandrakes and she herself loses a hand to the Incubus leader.

Defeated, Khirareq is on her knees and preparing for the deathblow. Unrepentant, she says:
"Do what you will, I am not ashamed of my deeds. I have done what I wanted, as is our code, and I will not bow down to a Lord who does not respect that."

But Akhara'Keth spares her life, and indeed promotes her to replace the advisor she just killed. The Archon seems to admire her audacity, but thinks that she can be better taught how to manage the intrigue of Dark Eldar society.

TheLaughingGod
14-11-2010, 08:33
Not necessarily. No'akei's story is pretty much identical to that of Khirareq in the back of the 3rd ed Dark Eldar Codex.

Khirareq is a Dracon who launches a coup to displace her Archon, Akhara'Keth. Khirareq slays her Archon's advisor but before she can dispatch Akhara'Keth, her warriors are slain by Incubi and Mandrakes and she herself loses a hand to the Incubus leader.

Defeated, Khirareq is on her knees and preparing for the deathblow. Unrepentant, she says:
"Do what you will, I am not ashamed of my deeds. I have done what I wanted, as is our code, and I will not bow down to a Lord who does not respect that."

But Akhara'Keth spares her life, and indeed promotes her to replace the advisor she just killed. The Archon seems to admire her audacity, but thinks that she can be better taught how to manage the intrigue of Dark Eldar society.

Interestingly, No'akei's background is identical to that of Lady Malys. (Cast aside plaything of Vects) I guess he makes a lot of jealous spurned lovers!

Shamana
14-11-2010, 09:54
Yeah, I liked that Khirareq's story a lot. Initiative and boldness are generally considered highly in DE society, the Archon DID need a new advisor... and apparently she was better than the last one, so why not give her the position?

I'm not sure No'akei can expect the same, though. She didn't even manage to kill anyone :) .

eldargal
14-11-2010, 12:13
Personally I found the whole No'akei ending quite stupid and unsatisfactory. You are all plotting against Vect, and then when your supreme leader makes her move, you betray her. Right, thats like trying to bump off your partners before you rob the bank instead of after.:eyebrows: You think Vect is going to treat you as anything less than a traitor for working with her against him and betraying her at the last minute? Grumble grumble.

I rather hope one of Vects rivals freed her from prison so she would go and scheme and try and undermine Vect some more, thus keeping his attention away from said rival.:shifty:

Gorbad Ironclaw
14-11-2010, 12:36
Basically what has been said. It never said she died tho just implied she was in for a very painful demise in the very near future. I wish she had been in the new codex =)

You don't think Lady Malys qualify? The concept is exactly the same. Sure, there is a few differences and a name change but essentially it's all there.

FarseerMatt
14-11-2010, 13:44
Personally I found the whole No'akei ending quite stupid and unsatisfactory. You are all plotting against Vect, and then when your supreme leader makes her move, you betray her. Right, thats like trying to bump off your partners before you rob the bank instead of after.:eyebrows:

To be fair, they did support her until it started to look like she wasn't going to be able to pull it off. Better to cut your losses, back out while you've still got some level of deniability, and live to join the next conspiracy rather than openly associate with the one that's likely to fail. Vect knows that everyone in Commoragh is after his job by default - so he can't go and execute everyone who might have been involved with No'Akei.

MagosHereticus
14-11-2010, 13:54
Personally I found the whole No'akei ending quite stupid and unsatisfactory. You are all plotting against Vect, and then when your supreme leader makes her move, you betray her. Right, thats like trying to bump off your partners before you rob the bank instead of after.:eyebrows: You think Vect is going to treat you as anything less than a traitor for working with her against him and betraying her at the last minute? Grumble grumble.

I rather hope one of Vects rivals freed her from prison so she would go and scheme and try and undermine Vect some more, thus keeping his attention away from said rival.:shifty:

maybe they could even give her a sword made of pure warpstone...
and point her in the direction of the throne room

Easy E
15-11-2010, 14:27
The Dark Eldar stuff organization for the Medusa V is one of the few things that have really kept me going in the GW world. Frankly, IncubiLord (and his fellows) saved my faith in GW gaming. Since then, I have had the pleasure to play two other online campaigns with Incubi Lord, and gone on to run a few myself.

Without the satisfaction of running/participating in these campaigns; I frankly would have been tired of GW years ago.

War Angel
15-11-2010, 17:49
@DantesInferno: Is the No'akei story an offical one?

More like "Do unto others as you will, for such is your birthright."
I like that one too. :evilgrin:

I rather hope one of Vects rivals freed her from prison so she would go and scheme and try and undermine Vect some more, thus keeping his attention away
from said rival.:shifty:
I agree with you. Would add some more to the story and make No'akei a rouge Dark Eldar.

They could maker her into a Commander Farsight style character. Torture her for awhile
and then like you said a rival frees her for their own designs etc. Have her in a fleet
instead of anywhere near Commoragh. She roams around doing her thing and
generally continuing her mission.

That way the story wouldn't have to end and we could get bits here and there.

Without the satisfaction of running/participating in these campaigns; I frankly would have been tired of GW years ago.
Most of us are "tired of GW." We just continue to buy their stuff and discuss the story
because it's all addictive. And they know it. :p

DantesInferno
15-11-2010, 21:13
@DantesInferno: Is the No'akei story an offical one?

Well, after the Medusa V campaign, GW posted on their website a background piece for each faction designed to reflect that faction's results in the campaign.

The GW Medusa V webpage is no longer available, so I took the above story off a post in another forum. I can't 100% guarantee that the version I posted is the "official" version, but I'm pretty sure that it's authentic.

Easy E
15-11-2010, 23:52
I will vouch for it's authenticity, or at least close enough.

hivefleetcarrion
16-11-2010, 10:43
with No'Akei being betrayed, wouldn't a more fitting punishment be to kill her, then bring her back and kill her again....and again....and again and so on. how that we know that they can be regrown in vats and no eldar truely wants to die as they know where they will end up.

Ba'al Starslayer
16-11-2010, 11:10
Eldar win a huge victory kill Abbadon.
He survives and Eldrad is killed as our reward.

At least Vect didn't die for our *reward*

Come again? :confused:

Didn't Eldrad basically just get bored with life and allow himself to be absorbed into the Dome of Seers? Or am I getting confused here? (I don't have C:CWE on me)

LordLucan
16-11-2010, 12:39
Eldrad was devoured by the heart of one of the blackstone fortresses, as it had a slanneshi daemon inside. However, his soul might have survived partially in the various waystones he distributed to his allies.

Shamana
16-11-2010, 12:52
With Eldrad it seemed like a "Ok, he's dead, but we left ourselves a few backdoors if we ever want him back" - the soulstones are one, and have people noticed the name of his protege that goes around insisting Teach is still not dead? Yeah, when a crazy prophetess starts who just so happens to be named Cas... Q'ssandra (spelling?) starts spewing obvious BS, it might be a good idea to hedge your bets.

Kellindel
16-11-2010, 15:03
With Eldrad it seemed like a "Ok, he's dead, but we left ourselves a few backdoors if we ever want him back" - the soulstones are one, and have people noticed the name of his protege that goes around insisting Teach is still not dead? Yeah, when a crazy prophetess starts who just so happens to be named Cas... Q'ssandra (spelling?) starts spewing obvious BS, it might be a good idea to hedge your bets.

I'm not following you here. Please explain someone..

What's the big deal with the name? Who is this person/seer supposed to be?

Idaan
16-11-2010, 15:15
Cassandra, whom the Greek gods cursed with being able to always foretell the truth, but not be believed by anyone. She foresaw the fall of Troy among others.

But I don't think it's means a great deal - they're not going to advance the timeline enough for it to have any meaning. Also Eldrad forced himself not to die until his work was done and he named a successor as the First of Ulthwe. The fact that he did die means it's not going to hurt the Eldar race.

Shamana
16-11-2010, 22:15
I'm not following you here. Please explain someone..

What's the big deal with the name? Who is this person/seer supposed to be?

As Idaan said, Cassandra was a famous seer, who received from Apollo the gift of true prophecy as a wooing gift - then the curse to never be believed after she spurned him. At any rate, maybe it's nothing - but I think the fact that "one of " Eldrad's protegees who just happens to be named similarly (Q'Sandria) indicates something. Perhaps Phil Kelly was just teasing us, perhaps he was told to leave a door open in case GW decides to mention old Eldrad again at some point.

SgtTaters
16-11-2010, 22:44
with No'Akei being betrayed, wouldn't a more fitting punishment be to kill her, then bring her back and kill her again....and again....and again and so on. how that we know that they can be regrown in vats and no eldar truely wants to die as they know where they will end up.

Dark Eldar have a high tolerance for pain, many find it pleasurable

now to torture a DE though, is to give them a reaally boring, monotonous job (mentioned in DE codex how one of the most cruel punishments is to make a DE work at a desk)

She's probably Vect's potato peeler now.

Shards of Basalt
17-11-2010, 04:02
I'm struggling to see the loss with No'Akei, maybe she could've been developed more and I wouldn't feel so indifferent to her. I really like Lady Malys though - she was an interesting character even before she got her crystal heart and there's that layer of etiquette and respectability that hides the fact that deep down she is insane.

Gimp
18-11-2010, 14:47
I remember I cool little story during the campaign. It was a report of some sort from a lower ranking Dark Eldar to a more senior Dark Eldar.

Report stated that the Dark Eldar had taken some Space Marines as prisoners. After a while they thought it would be good fun to toture the marines and eat their souls. However they soon discovered that the Marines had escaped out of the chains with the help of there acidic saliva. It ends with the poor Dark Eldar being all killed by a bunch of rather unhappy Marines.

Thought it was cute.

Shards of Basalt
21-11-2010, 03:01
I remember I cool little story during the campaign. It was a report of some sort from a lower ranking Dark Eldar to a more senior Dark Eldar.

Report stated that the Dark Eldar had taken some Space Marines as prisoners. After a while they thought it would be good fun to toture the marines and eat their souls. However they soon discovered that the Marines had escaped out of the chains with the help of there acidic saliva. It ends with the poor Dark Eldar being all killed by a bunch of rather unhappy Marines.

Thought it was cute.
Reminds me a lot of the back-story of Veteran Brother Cloten from Bloodquest, only he was captured by Fabulous Bill and by the time the other Blood Angels found him he'd started eating Bill's minions.