PDA

View Full Version : Help making Calvary heavy WE army?

Techron 2.0
14-11-2010, 16:00
My fiancee has an interest in starting up warhammer so i asked her to pick an army and she really loved the Wood elves, and really wants alot of Calvary in her army, from what i know they arent that tough so i was wondering if anyone could help me out? i just want Majority calvary in the army but ground troops are still going to be included. any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

- Erik

SkawtheFalconer
14-11-2010, 16:18
Your basic choices are Wild Riders or Glade Riders, although you could probably also include Warhawk Riders.

To be honest, my advice would be to try and dissuade her from this approach. All of these units took a major hit in 8th ed due to stepping up - they can still be used to overwhelm small units, and are still decent flankers, but they should definitely be a support element rather than key force.

Techron 2.0
14-11-2010, 16:22
yeah thats what i was thinking, i told her if she wants calvary to go Bretonnians, but she likes the Nature stuff. . . *gags*, thank you for the advice i will try to dissuade her from it lol, whats a good core for the army? im used to playing Warriors of Chaos, and theyre heavily armored, eternal guard?

innerwolf
14-11-2010, 16:36
She could always build an Avelorn themed High Elves army. They also are very attuned to nature, she can aim for the same look (even using WE models out-of-the-box or kitbashed) and have substantially better cavalry.

Torpedo Vegas
14-11-2010, 16:52
She could always build an Avelorn themed High Elves army. They also are very attuned to nature, she can aim for the same look (even using WE models out-of-the-box or kitbashed) and have substantially better cavalry.
This would be very [referable. Calvary is not fit to make the bulk of an army in 8th ed (with the exception of Brettonians and possibly Empire), and Wild/Glade Riders aren't medium calvary to begin with. Has she considered playing Brettonians.

Witchblade
14-11-2010, 22:37
Play HE that count-as WE. Eagles, decent cavalry, chariots, good magic, characters on flying mounts.

Cavalry heavy WE are absolutely and utterly doomed. Bottom tier doesn't begin to describe their situation.

Kal Taron
15-11-2010, 05:51
Play HE that count-as WE. Eagles, decent cavalry, chariots, good magic, characters on flying mounts.

Don't you mean WE that count as HE?
I agree that WE cav armies aren't really feasible. The main problem is that Glade Riders don't do anything for their points anymore. I mean they can't even break ranks with any reasonable chance. (Unit size max. 10 does that to you now...)

About the only way to get a semi usable cav army with WE is using Orion. With Wild Riders as core you might have a sporting chance against a non-competitive opponent.

Witchblade
15-11-2010, 21:19
Don't you mean WE that count as HE?

Yes, sorry for the confusion.

LaughinGremlin
16-11-2010, 00:40
See if the WE player will compromise and only use maybe a couple units of WE fast cavalry to augment the rest of the non-cavalry army. This could work if the WE player refuses to use an alternate army book.

The following is a teachable moment that I can't resist.
The shortened slang for "cavalry" is "cav", because it is spelled "CAVaLry."
I only wish you the best, and thank you for your post.