PDA

View Full Version : Did I just get an ridiculously cheap army or are LOTR minis not worth much?

Cuchulain84
14-11-2010, 17:07
I won this lot on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180584476664&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thats 280 miniatures, 75 of which are cavalry, the WOTR rule book and movement trays for 71!

Am I right in thinking I just picked up an amazing bargain, or is this pretty typical due to the lack of popularity for the game?

LOTRCROWN
14-11-2010, 17:14
bit of both mate really i was even going to have a bit on that one lol

Cuchulain84
14-11-2010, 17:37
New from GW it comes to ~400. And seeing as they are unpainted (not even primed) and they are non pose-able they are as good as new really.

Even if I can't find anyone to play WOTR they would make great saxons or equivilent for Historical.

McBoner
14-11-2010, 19:45
Amazing! Can't help but feel sorry for the guy who sold it.

Wil Grand
14-11-2010, 20:06
Top quality buy.

I bought WotR, started getting a force of Goblins together..... Found out no bugger plays it.

I see it being the basis for fan list historicals in the future, though.

tongalad
14-11-2010, 20:50
I'd say anytime you pay approx. 25p for any figure (plastic or metal) you got a deal you can't beat!

Xelee
15-11-2010, 06:45
I won this lot on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180584476664&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thats 280 miniatures, 75 of which are cavalry, the WOTR rule book and movement trays for 71!

Am I right in thinking I just picked up an amazing bargain, or is this pretty typical due to the lack of popularity for the game?
It's not so much lack of popularity, as it is that some armies are plentiful from way back in the SBG days, when they were cheap.

Whatever the current GW prices, some armies are cheap to pick up while others still cost quite a bit. It's still a nice price though, and Rohan miniatures are good in that you can use them for other than WOTR.

Will Garand, it's a shame no one near you plays. We've got a small but consistant group here.

Wil Grand
15-11-2010, 09:22
It is a shame. I got a bit excited about the four model minimum the game assumes you have for a company and started modding scenic trays and all. Might get the force finished now that the Blackshields are out and they're not too dear by GW standards. I've got six metal cave trolls partially modelled as well.

I might even inquire at my local GW if it's possible to find a game on the gamenight.

Kroot Lord
15-11-2010, 21:15
You've definitely gotten lucky, but LotR models tend to go for very low prices on eBay. However, the newer models- those released within the last two-three years- are much rarer and tend to go for a lot nearer to the RRP.

ForgottenLore
15-11-2010, 21:24
Everyone says that but I keep checking and I never find any amazing deals on LotR figs on eBay. Yeah, they're less than retail, but not usually "WOW, amazing deal" like this was.

Glabro
15-11-2010, 23:29
Top quality buy.

I bought WotR, started getting a force of Goblins together..... Found out no bugger plays it.

I see it being the basis for fan list historicals in the future, though.

Huh, that's a good guess! I've already done War of the Ancients for Rome vs. Gauls and Germans / Sweboz.

Codsticker
16-11-2010, 03:33
I won this lot on ebay:

You would have paid a lot more for it if I had seen it. ;)

A very good deal in my opinion.

starlight
16-11-2010, 03:58
Indeed. :)

If it had been a Warg cavalry army I'd have been all over it. :D

...erm, I mean... :shifty: *looks at many boxes of unpainted minis...* :(

Wil Grand
16-11-2010, 06:16
Huh, that's a good guess! I've already done War of the Ancients for Rome vs. Gauls and Germans / Sweboz.

You know, just after I typed that I went over to the Warlord games forum and saw pictures of a game being played at Warhammer World that was using WotR bases and ruled but with historical figures.

Cuchulain84
16-11-2010, 12:55
Hmm after a bit of research I'm not hearing great things about the WOTR ruleset. Are they going to be updating it at any point or is it no longer supported?

Wil Grand
16-11-2010, 14:21
Give them a chance!

There's plenty good things said about it, it's reputed to be the best thing GW have produced in a very long time.

There was an expansion about six months or so ago, I believe and there's always something coming out for it by way of miniatures every other month.

Cuchulain84
16-11-2010, 14:31
Give them a chance!

There's plenty good things said about it, it's reputed to be the best thing GW have produced in a very long time.

There was an expansion about six months or so ago, I believe and there's always something coming out for it by way of miniatures every other month.

You'll have to forgive me. I knew nothing about LOTRSBG or WOTR until now, and all I know now is what I've quickly got from teh internets.

So it is still very much active from GW's point of view but seemingly it's not widely played?

Maybe I should have been a bit clearer in that last post. The critisms aren't really with the game but with the balance and points cost between armies.

Godswildcard
16-11-2010, 14:52
I would be all over a good army deal like that if the right one came along. Thats pretty much the only thing that has kept me from LOTR and WOTR...the only armies I really want to play are mostly metal....

LOOKING AT YOU GONDOR FEIFDOMS!!! (and less so, but still looking at you easterlings with your beautiful models but horribly expensive Cataphracts....)

ForgottenLore
16-11-2010, 14:59
@Cuchulain84 - WotR is a great rules set with a few noticeable problems with point costs. There does seem to be a lot of undeserved hate for it on some internet forums though from people who try to apply a warhammer ultra-competitive attitude to it. Most of that comes from before the FAQ was released. Really, adjustments to a few point values and a competent editor would fix virtually everything that people complain about. It is a much better system than either warhammer game.

It is very much still being supported by GW, 2-3 sizable releases a year i would say, though not enough new plastic kits sadly.

Chrombar
16-11-2010, 17:52
I would be all over a good army deal like that if the right one came along. Thats pretty much the only thing that has kept me from LOTR and WOTR...the only armies I really want to play are mostly metal....

LOOKING AT YOU GONDOR FEIFDOMS!!! (and less so, but still looking at you easterlings with your beautiful models but horribly expensive Cataphracts....)

easy to solve to take khandish allies for cavalry, but they're going to be metal then

Xelee
16-11-2010, 20:23
Most of that comes from before the FAQ was released. Really, adjustments to a few point values and a competent editor would fix virtually everything that people complain about. It is a much better system than either warhammer game.

Ain't that the truth, I gave Warhammer a go last night. It is definitely a very fun game, but unit balance is laughable (I actually laughed when it was described to me). I thought the likes of Khamul in WOTR was a pretty egregious example of wargame imbalance... turns out I knew nothing about how some popular wargames 'work' lol.

Compared to that, WOTR is the paragon of balance. Most of our group now play using houserules, but the game is perfectly playable without them. Half of the reason we use them is just to give Elves and Rohan a bit of a boost - so they at least resemble what you'd think they should be able to pull off.

GW seem to be pushing WOTR as their third game now, so I think it will keep its visibility. Like all wargames though, the 'network effects' are pretty important and if no one is pushing it in an area, then there will be no core group, and the whole thing will just fall away.

Wil Grand
16-11-2010, 20:33
From an Aesthetics point of view the game does look beautiful as well, the movement tray system is so elegant.

Xelee
16-11-2010, 20:41
I agree. However, a few of us here have gone one step better and just permanently based whole swathes of our troops to WOTR sized bases. I use the movement trays for my historicals (the ones that represent Carn Dum Warband etc) so I can use them for other games, but everything LOTR specific is now just stuck to unit sized scenic bases. It helps protect the spindly figures and we just mark casualties with a dice. By basing them that way, we can also vary the formation of the lines a little.

One of my mates has done his really well: http://krugerskreations.blogspot.com/2010/07/build-me-army-worthy-of-mordor.html

Cuchulain84
16-11-2010, 20:59
One of my mates has done his really well: http://krugerskreations.blogspot.com/2010/07/build-me-army-worthy-of-mordor.html

That really is very, very nice. LOTR minis are so much nicer than WFB I think.

Codsticker
17-11-2010, 03:48

Is it my imagination or is he only putting seven models per base? Nice work nonetheless.

Xelee
17-11-2010, 03:52
I'd say he probably is, for some berserkers at least. I don't exactly count them all in-game! lol

I particularly liked what he did with his Orcs (another post), basing them on scenic bases allowed him to give the rabble an irregular formation. Nice tidy ranks suits Minas Tirith Warriors, but Orcs not so much.

Elflover94
17-11-2010, 20:53
If you really want to get into WOTR then you have had a good buy

Cuchulain84
19-11-2010, 14:20
As always these things are never quite as good as they seem.

The lot arrived the other day and I noticed some missing bits...

Namely 25 of the cavalry riders and 140 shields. The lot said three missing riders and one or two missing shields.

The chap who sold them is being nice about though and is trying to make it right. Unfortunately he doesn't have the missing the parts and just didn't check what he was putting up properly, instead he has offered me a few other related bits as compensation which I think I will accept.

The missing riders I don't mind so much, but the shields are a real pain. There are no bitz sites selling LOTR as far as I know and ebay is not much better.

Anyone have any suggestions? Maybe a site selling big bags of plain, round, saxon esque shields? Maybe even a craft bag of small discs?

Chrombar
19-11-2010, 15:32
how about this?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat440123a&rootCatGameStyle=

warhammer shields might do the trick

Cuchulain84
19-11-2010, 15:44
how about this?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat440123a&rootCatGameStyle=

warhammer shields might do the trick

2 for four means 50p per shield X 140 = 70! :eek:

Chrombar
19-11-2010, 15:56
well I have some rohan shields at home wich i don't use and prob never going to use at all, not rlly sure how manny

Cuchulain84
19-11-2010, 15:59
well I have some rohan shields at home wich i don't use and prob never going to use at all, not rlly sure how manny

If you find a fair few I will definitely be interested in buying them off you. Can you let me know?

Chrombar
19-11-2010, 16:10
well PM you about that

Wil Grand
20-11-2010, 00:21
Making a green stuff press mould for milliput will do the job, bud.

Xelee
20-11-2010, 01:35
Cuchulain84, if someone isn't able to hook you up with spare shields, and getting all the tools and materials to make a press-mould is a bit expensive for this one job, then the other option would be to just go to the like of Gripping-Beast for their accessories.

Cuchulain84
20-11-2010, 14:17
Making a green stuff press mould for milliput will do the job, bud.

This sounds interesting. Do you know of a tutorial or something? edit: Just found one, this looks perfect! http://www.coolminiornot.com/articles/1739

Cuchulain84, if someone isn't able to hook you up with spare shields, and getting all the tools and materials to make a press-mould is a bit expensive for this one job, then the other option would be to just go to the like of Gripping-Beast for their accessories.

I will investigate. Thanks.

Wil Grand
20-11-2010, 15:57
This sounds interesting. Do you know of a tutorial or something? edit: Just found one, this looks perfect! http://www.coolminiornot.com/articles/1739

I will investigate. Thanks.

Aye, that's the idea. I only really use it for shields and adornments I've made. I used GS for the mould but milliput for the cast since it's a lot softer and I just do the fronts. The back you can do later by using damp milliput and embossing.

Bruncase
21-11-2010, 18:22
I won this lot on ebay:

Thats a v good deal considering they're around 400 new. I though i got a bargain when I bagged a mumakil, 70 haradrim, 2 capts and 2 standards for 40 :)

Forgotmytea
23-11-2010, 10:06
Thats a v good deal considering they're around 400 new. I though i got a bargain when I bagged a mumakil, 70 haradrim, 2 capts and 2 standards for 40 :)
That's still pretty good :) All I can boast is a few lots of Uruk-Hai that were relatively cheap :p

Cuchulain84
23-11-2010, 12:09
The Green Stuff casting is great. It'll be a lot of work to do all 140 but the results are near perfect and it's practically free! I might even try and cast missing riders if I'm feeling especially ambitious.

http://i54.tinypic.com/9va6vr.jpg

Click the link to see an example. At the back is the mold, I can do four shields at a time with it. The shields could still do with a little flash removing but the green stuff's rubbery nature makes it quite hard.

Chrombar
23-11-2010, 18:19
does the green stuff have any problems sticking in the mould our does it come out by itself?

Cuchulain84
23-11-2010, 18:32
does the green stuff have any problems sticking in the mould our does it come out by itself?

I coated the mould in cooking oil (in the guide they used petroleum jelly but also said cooking oil is fine.) They came out relatively easily, i poked a knife in the edge and gently lifted it out which worked fine but after a while it might damage the mould. It was really easy to make anyway though.

Chrombar
23-11-2010, 18:54
yea we're used to brown soap, but then again that was for big objects, nice to see that the green stuff fills in all the holes and makes the details quite nice

Wil Grand
23-11-2010, 19:03
The Green Stuff casting is great. It'll be a lot of work to do all 140 but the results are near perfect and it's practically free! I might even try and cast missing riders if I'm feeling especially ambitious.

http://i54.tinypic.com/9va6vr.jpg

Click the link to see an example. At the back is the mold, I can do four shields at a time with it. The shields could still do with a little flash removing but the green stuff's rubbery nature makes it quite hard.

Bravo sir!

Excellent stuff.