PDA

View Full Version : Skaven - Strength in Numbers

Kisanis
14-11-2010, 21:44
Quick question.
Strength in numbers states that they add rank bonus to a maximum leadership value of 10.
The rulebook states that max bonus for extra ranks for combat resolution is +3

Nowhere for Strength in numbers or the FAQ does the skaven book say to a +3 bonus. It simply states to a maximum of 10.

I have someone arguing this isn't the case as the phrase 'rank bonus' doesnt exist. The only thing that really is connected to it in 8th is extra ranks for combat resolution.

I mean, GW may not mean it to be this way, but until they fix it with an FAQ I see it as a rules oversight.

Korraz
14-11-2010, 22:14
Following that logic, Skaven do not get any boni on their leadership. Tell them that. If there is no such connection, then that rule refers to nothing, as it tells you to use the "Rank Bonus", not the "Ranks." No Rank Bonus, no bonus-LD. Simple.
"Bonus for Ranks" = "Rank Bonus"

Kisanis
14-11-2010, 22:28
I honestly see a 6 rank deep unit of 5 wide clanrats getting a Ld 10 with this wording. Combat resolution is the only mention of extra ranks in the main rules, and it says +3 max for combat resolution..

I just don't see how currently as written between books and FAQ's that it maxes out at +3 for other purposes.

Korraz
14-11-2010, 22:50
Again, if there is no Rank Bonus, there is no SiN-Bonus.
If it is the same bonus as in the book, then it maxes out at 3, as the bonus maxes out at 3 for the combat resolution.

Tarian
14-11-2010, 22:54
That, and +3 LD is already amazing, and I always read it as up to +3 to a max of 10.

Kisanis
14-11-2010, 23:15
FAQ's need to spend less time on grammar and more time on clarification -____-

Tregar
14-11-2010, 23:48
Add rank bonus. What's the rank bonus of a million Slaves deployed 5 wide? 3. There's your leadership bonus. Absolutely clear and simple.

Kisanis
15-11-2010, 17:01
I've pretty much concluded this. No worries there. but its one of those situations that when you look at the rulebook, and look at the army book, then ignore past conventions (as jervis himself said you need to do) the clarity diminishes significantly.

A simple subordinate clause would really avoid all this.

That said, I'm not new to the game, just to skaven, and I've made A LOT of assumptions about 8th that have been based on past convention that have been completely and utterly wrong.

Have I let the pendulum swing too far the other way? perhaps. But I'd rather ask a stupid question, then make a stupid assumption.

PaintByNumbers
15-11-2010, 17:37
It's not a stupid question at all. If Games Workshop is going to use specific terminology they need to stick to that terminology. I've only found the term "rank bonus" once in the 8th edition rule book in the character section. The rest of the references are somewhat obscure.

Tregar
15-11-2010, 23:47
There are references in the close combat section (P59 speifically calls it "rank bonus" a couple of times), but it is quite funny how on P52 the author seems to go to pains to not specifically call it "rank bonus".