PDA

View Full Version : Goblins 1000 ->2000 points (tournament lists)

sssk
16-11-2010, 12:55
After my previous (rather vague) army list sank like a stone through this forum, I have re-vamped it, with less vagueness, and less random fluff, and added the development from 1000 to 2000 points. The aim is a fairly tournament worthy army (which will in time develop to 2500 and then 3000 points), and therefore it has to be fairly all comers style.

Anyway, without further a-do, here's the lists. The basic plan is the slow and steady blanket advance under cover from the artillery (which will most likely blow itself to pieces in the first 2 turns), with the spiders and wolf mounted big boss hunting warmachines. The BSB will sit in the small unit of archers just behind the main line in order to provide his benefits without risking himself.

Give me your opinions (be as harsh as you like, I'm a big boy, i can take it)

First off, the 1000 point list

Heroes:

(general) Goblin Big Boss – Light armour, Shield
Night goblin Shaman – Lv2
Goblin Big Boss – Wolf, shield, light armour, spear
Night Goblin Big Boss – BSB, tricksy trinket

Core:

39 Night goblins – Hand weapon and shield, Full command, fanatic, nets
30 Night goblins – Bows, Full command, fanatic, nets
20 Night goblins – Bows, Full command, fanatic

Special:

Rock Lobba

Rare:

Doom Diver

3 Trolls

And here's the 2000 point list

Lords:

(General) Goblin Warboss – Armour of destiny, shield, martog’s best basha
Night Goblin Great Shaman – Lv2

Heroes:

Night goblin big boss – 2 hand weapons
Night goblin big boss – great weapon

Core:

40 Night goblins – Hand weapon and shield, Full command, fanatic, nets
5 Spider Riders – musician

Special:

Rock Lobba
Rock Lobba
5 Squig Herds

Rare:

6 Trolls
Doom Diver
Pump Wagon

Thanks for any feed back

immortal git
16-11-2010, 22:22
again your general is wayyy to squishy for my liking and WHEN he dies you will have a LD 5 army. i think you have too many troops in your 1K and those could be dropped to get armour of silvered steel on yer lord or soemthing. (2+ Save)

pluch87
18-11-2010, 06:15
Drop the nets in the Bow Gobbos... they aren't meant to win combat, so the nets are a waste of 35 points. I would also run both bow units with only a musician and spend the remaining points elsewhere.

Great Shaman is a lvl 3 not 2 (I'm sure that's a typo though?). And he needs to at least take staff of sneaky stealin'. It can mean shutting down an enemy's magic phase.

I would stock up on at the very LEAST 2 spear chukka's, and more spider's, 5 won't live long enough to hunt war machines. Once they vanguard the enemy will concentrate on getting ride of them since they seem scary and fast... getting rid of one unit of spider's is a pretty simple task.
To find the points for that, drop the nets as mentioned above (there's one spear chukka) and consider dropping the squig herd.

Hope this helps!

sever14
18-11-2010, 12:02
try to make your shaman a lv4 and give him a WS, at least the 5+. As mentioned by immortal gift, a good build for lord is armor of silvered steel, tal of 4+ WS, and then a GW. This should give him some staying power. I would drop a lobba and add two chukkas. That way with DD, lobba and two chukkas you have a nice well rounded artillery contingent. Personally im a fan of ng units of 60 models. but 40 does work. good luck.

sssk
18-11-2010, 17:06
Drop the nets in the Bow Gobbos... they aren't meant to win combat, so the nets are a waste of 35 points. I would also run both bow units with only a musician and spend the remaining points elsewhere.

Hmmm, normally I might agree with you, but I had a slight epiphany regarding this subject recently. Let me explain:

Against shooting, shields (with no other armour etc) effectively do nothing for you (lots of strength 4 or armour piercing stuff out there, or against strength 3 stuff you'll only save 1 in 6, so not really worth it, as it'll rarely be the line between a panic test or not).

In combat, against strength 3 (or less) hand weapon and shields will (on average) suffer 4 or 5 casualties out of 6 wounds, bows will suffer 6 casualties. Against strength 4 (or more), shields will suffer 5 casualties, bows will suffer 6. So in total you might save one or two per turn.

So shields give a little benefit some of the time, whereas with bows you can cause damage before you reach combat, can stop fast cav trying to bait you, can stand and shoot. With nets they become relatively resilient in combat (effectively toughness 4), so can stand up to most things which shield wielding goblins would stand up to relatively well (at least until back up arrives).

Anyway, in summary, it's just something I'm going to try out for a while to see how it goes.

As for the full command, each unit will have a character in it, so the champion is relatively important for taking challenges, and the standard is needed for blood and glory (and is handy when smallish units think they can take the unit on).

Great Shaman is a lvl 3 not 2 (I'm sure that's a typo though?). And he needs to at least take staff of sneaky stealin'. It can mean shutting down an enemy's magic phase.

Either I'm paying to reduce him by a level, or I do in fact mean level 4 (I jest of course). Good call on the staff. I always used to take the rune of balance when I played dwarfs, and it was great back then, therefore the staff is a must. Time to re-think things a bit.

As for sever14's ward save suggestion, I don't tend to bother on wizards, as I tend to keep them far removed from combat, and in units big enough to take most shooting. I'm almost tempted by the lord build, but at the end of the day, it's a goblin. On the whole, I like to keep my characters cheap as possible, as they're rather useless in a lot of respect, so the old ethic of quantity over quality holds true.

I would stock up on at the very LEAST 2 spear chukka's, and more spider's, 5 won't live long enough to hunt war machines. Once they vanguard the enemy will concentrate on getting ride of them since they seem scary and fast... getting rid of one unit of spider's is a pretty simple task.

I whole heartedly agree. I've been rethinking the spiders. I'll have to paint up another 5, but that shouldn't be too difficult. Still deciding whether to give them a banner (for blood and glory purposes, as well as picking on smallish units, and using the cool BFSP spider rider standard bearer). I'm going to take Sever 14's advice on swapping the rock lobba for 2 spear chukkas. I was purely thinking about killing troops, and forgot that such things as artillery and monsters existed.

I might drop the squig herd for some other stuff (starting with the staff of sneaky stealing), but I need some hard hitters in combat (what with the lack of any orcs and all).

As for immortal git's suggestion, I might think about giving him a bit of defense, but I don't want him too expensive.

Thanks for the feedback, anyone else got any suggestions (or have you folks got any further suggestions). I'll go away and have a slight re-think and maybe post a new list soon(ish)

sssk
19-11-2010, 12:22
(apologies for the double post)

Right, here's the re-worked list. I'm still trying to keep characters cheapish. I'm not sure whether the big bosses would be better off all with great weapons. Now that I've lost the squigs I need something to cause some hurt (however against things which great weapons might be good against, the big bosses are likely to be dead before they strike anyway). In fact, I know they're popular, but are the big bosses actually that much use? I could drop them and pop in a chariot or two?

I should have a few points left over, which may well go on a small scattering of magic items (probably the iron curse icon for a start).

Lords:

(General) Goblin Warboss – Armour of destiny, shield, martog’s best basha
Night Goblin Great Shaman – Lv4, staff of sneaky stealing

Heroes:

Core:

10 Spider Riders – musician

Special:

spear chukka
Spear chukka
Rock Lobba

Rare:

6 Trolls
Doom Diver
Pump Wagon

Thanks for any help

pluch87
19-11-2010, 12:45
I say drop the bosses... You could get a lot more bang for your buck with 2 chariots than 4 night goblin hero's. Also, If you run all those hero's, pray your opponent doesn't take that magic weapon that gives them an extra attack and strength for each enemy character within 12".