PDA

View Full Version : Golden Demon Entry 1 - And so it begins...

DV8
14-03-2006, 03:16
*Edit - bugger...forgot to put this in the Project Logs section. If a Mod read this, would they be so kind as to put it there instead (as I'm afraid it'll get buried within a day or two in the regular P&T thread... end edit*

And so it begins...with the bulk of my commissions done, I can finally begin work on the first of my Golden Demon entries: a Forgeworld Thousand Sons Dreadnought. Now unfortunately several of the pieces (most notably the Lascannon) were miscast, so a bulk of my first day was spent correcting these, as well as cleaning off all the flash (of which there was an obscene amount).

As the first day draws to a close, my Dreadnought sits ready as I wait for the green stuff to cure before I can prime the model. Yes, the base is covered in GW's snow flock, as I intend to paint the base in a Desert scheme, and the snow is a finer basing material than regular flock.

http://www.spacewithinspace.net/images/goldendemon2006/dayone.JPG

Now, to keep my sanity, (and because I need to finish it by the end of the week), for the next couple of days I will be working on a slightly converted Daemon Prince of Khorne, and hopefully finish it by Friday.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/mybrain/Daemon%20Prince%20of%20Khorne/DSC01635.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/mybrain/Daemon%20Prince%20of%20Khorne/DSC01634.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/mybrain/Daemon%20Prince%20of%20Khorne/DSC01633.jpg

Not the best pictures of either, I know. But the Dreadnought is just bare resin, so nothing special. And the Daemon Prince is far from done. But I promise better pictures tomorrow. (And yes, I did shade/glaze the recesses of the Daemon Prince with purple).

Cheers til then. Input, suggestions, ideas, criticisms, encouraging words, etc. etc. are all welcome, and hopefully y'all can help keep me on the ball on this project.

DV8

Ziljin
14-03-2006, 03:33
the daemon prince looks very awesome, but I haven't seen any GD winners, and I suck at judging/critizing people's work. I just like appreciating it.

Jericho
14-03-2006, 06:45
I really like the progress on the Demon so far, the NMM looks good from what I can see. Do post some more pics :D

BTW Purple - Red - Orange looks awesome, I wish I had more reasons to do it :D

ZAChos
14-03-2006, 07:17
Which deamon are you going for? I hate to say it, but your position in the world greatly effects your chances of winning.

(Nice deamon prince, if a little vanilla for my tastes)

kermit
14-03-2006, 16:15
Well I must say I am looking forward to viewing your finished models in person as I am actually going to get to come to Games Day. Actually on GW's bill too... can't wait!

I will keep an eye on your progress... and see what it will take for me to compete! Ok... I want to see who is going to beat me...

tzeentchgiant
14-03-2006, 16:44
DP is looking great. I'm surprised you're showing your progress, so many people are so secretive about their entries :p.

TG

Anvils Hammer
14-03-2006, 16:59
a competitor!! Im entering the vehicle catagory as well if everything goes to plan, UK GD that is, which one are you going for?

the deamon is coming along quite nicly.

DV8
14-03-2006, 17:40
I'm actually entering the Canadian GD (and apparently Jennifer Haley is entering as well, so my chances of winning the Sword are ... well...slim at best). I'm hopefully going to get a Gold in the vehicle entry, and I may enter Fantasy single if I have the time (with my Orc Warboss...which I have yet to start...). And honestly, I don't see the point of being secretive. It's not like anybody else will be able to paint better because I showed my entry early on, and plus I can get input on mistakes that I may not see myself from other people.

DV8

Dopey
14-03-2006, 17:57
I'll be at the Canadian GD as well, I'm entering a forgeworld Asurmen in the large scale category. I started about a month ago (I am probably the slowest painter on earth) and still have a lot to do. I have no illusions of winning, but entering is fun. I will keep an eye on this project and help out where I can, I don't have to sabotage you because you're in a different category than me :)

Star.Scream
14-03-2006, 17:57
>>>>>>Looks good, can't wait both of them finished, and just have fun doing it ;)

immortal99
14-03-2006, 18:51
I really like what you have done on the DP so far, it looks really nice. I think the freehanded WE symbol looks great! Now hurry up and start painting that dreadnought! I vant to suck your blood see how it turns out.

EDIT: Though on second thoughts maybeif I did fly over to Canada, track you down and then suck your blood i would gain some of your painting skills? Of course not that mine are at all lacking ;)

Tom
14-03-2006, 20:31
The only problem with the Khorne DP is that it's very well done NMM World Eaters.

Which is what won the sword last year.

The dreadnought should be cool though.

DV8
15-03-2006, 04:54
Some updates:

I've made some good progress on the Dreadnought, with the bulk of the armor plating on the legs done (along with the trims). I may have to go back and touch up the rivets (which are painted Boltman style) once I've glued the legs to the base.

The desert base is...shall we say...disappointing? I'm happy with how the Space Wolf helmet turned out, but I can't seem to get the color of the sand right. Any ideas on how to do the sand would be GREATLY appreciated.

http://www.spacewithinspace.net/images/goldendemon2006/daytwo1.JPG

http://www.spacewithinspace.net/images/goldendemon2006/daytwo2.JPG

http://www.spacewithinspace.net/images/goldendemon2006/daytwo3.JPG

DV8

Dopey
15-03-2006, 05:55
The desert base is...shall we say...disappointing? I'm happy with how the Space Wolf helmet turned out, but I can't seem to get the color of the sand right. Any ideas on how to do the sand would be GREATLY appreciated.

For the sand I would highlight it more using either bleached bone or white. Right now it looks a bit too yellow.

tzeentchgiant
15-03-2006, 12:56
Sand wise, either, wash it with a dark brown, a thin wash will work OR go out and buy those "weathering dusts" pour them over and blow off the excess with all your might.

Both would work (more small textured sand).

TG

Anvils Hammer
15-03-2006, 13:00
the sand is too yellow.

really sand is not yellow, it is white.

start from graveyard earth, then dry brush very heavily bleached bone, then lightly in white.
to give it a yellow tint, which is what you want, mix a very small ammount of yellow in to each stage.

of course.. this may look awefull, I havent tried it, so try it on a spare 25mm first.

Other than that, its looking really awesome! get some free hand on that blue!

Malakian
15-03-2006, 14:19
to DV8:

Could you please tell me how did you paint your NMM step by step. I found some NMM guides but they just dont work for me. Your NMM is what I have been looking for so, How did you paint it?

BTW it looks cool. Get some free hands to those blue parts.

DV8
15-03-2006, 15:40
I already tried drybrushing the sand Bleached Bone and Skull white and it looked terrible. I'll try washing the sand with watered down Brown Ink and see how it goes. As for freehand on the blue, any ideas what I should paint on there?

@Malakian - Basecoat Snakebite. Layer progressively up to Golden Yellow by slowly mixing Golden Yellow with Snakebite. Start washing/glazing the recesses or the darkest areas with diluted Snakebite, then diluted Dark Flesh, then diluted Scorched Brown (I use a mix of about 3 parts water to 1 part paint). Then highlight with 50/50 Golden Yellow and Skull White. The parts where light catches receives the greatest highlights, so I use pure Skull White for that. I then go back with a very fine brush and some Scorched Brown and I paint just under the brightest highlights. I'll take a step-by-step on the next NMM gold section I work on (which should be later tonight)

DV8

kermit
15-03-2006, 19:04
I had a friend who actually made the Tzeentch symbol to look like a skull. It was amazing. I can't recall how he did it, but it was AWESOME! Your other work has lots of viney type work to it, maybe something like that with a more of a chaos feel, maybe even faces or such... I would stick to blues so it looks like the armour is living... maybe something for the warp flame?!?

Thanks for the NMM gold lesson... I might have to try it out and work on some myself!

Anvils Hammer
15-03-2006, 20:19
As for freehand on the blue, any ideas what I should paint on there?
DV8

leering deamonic faces appearing out of the paintwork, as if it is possesed.

or possible lots of lines of deamonic runes, done in a random pattern (if that makes sense). done in a sligthly lighter blue but made to blend in in areas.

or a combination..

or somthing else entirly.

tzeentchgiant
15-03-2006, 22:21
The freehand on the blue, do you own a copy of Liber Chaotica? There are LOADS of cool sketches in there, which, with a bit of adjusting (and joining together) would look very cool on the armour.

I mean, sketch half a birdy thing, and have the lines continuing into a spawn or something, that would kick ass.

TG

VtrAxx
16-03-2006, 05:41
Saw this baby coming along in person, Great job Jo (DV8)

Keep on trucking, I hope you actually finish it in a good amount of time to get started on your other GD entries! Peace!

Vtraxx Out

DV8
20-03-2006, 03:57
Ok. I've just done some quick math, and I have some bad news. A bit of background information, I am in College in Ontario, and there is a strike going on. It is currently in it's 3rd week and, even if it ends after this week, I still have 7 weeks of school left, ending my school year a week before Games Day.

All that means that I am unable to finish my Tzeentch Dreadnought in time (to the quality that I want) for Golden Demon. In retrospect it is my fault for starting so late, but look at it this way, I've started early for entry next year! :D

I will most likely end up painting either a Long Fangs pack or Tau sniper team for my entry, along with my Black Orc Warboss (models which I can finish more easily than the Chaos Dreadnought, which has obscene amounts of NMM). I will post pics when I get started on them.

DV8

Suicide Messiah
20-03-2006, 11:01
That sucks man. I was really looking foward to seeing the finished dred, it looks great. The black orc sounds interesting though. Its a conversion yeah?

DV8
20-03-2006, 18:04
Actually, no. It's the limited edition Black Orc (with the double-handed axe raised over his head). I'll be replacing the head and the axe head, but that's about it.

DV8

Suicide Messiah
20-03-2006, 20:16
So its conversion lol. Still very interesting since thats the best GW Orc mini out there IMO.

HPD_Andy
21-03-2006, 07:39
Liking the paint so far. Don't rush your self...but do post more pics as they come.

bloodwraith
22-03-2006, 07:35
By limited edition black orc you mean this guy?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v458/warlord_gorbad/3a118f7b.jpg

I can't wait to see that. It will blow my crap painting out of the water.

DV8
22-03-2006, 18:35
Aye, I am refering to that model in particular. I've kept the same head (as I couldn't find a suitable bare Orc head of the same size). I've replaced the haft of the axe with a spear shaft, and the head of the axe with the double-sided axe from the Orc Wyvern Warboss (with the raised Orc glyphs). You can see the conversion/swap here:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/mybrain/Orcs%20and%20Goblins/DSC01672.jpg

Along with what I've assembled of the army so far. The count is 2 characters (1 the limited edition Black Orc, the other the limited edition Orc Standard Bearer), 3 fanatics (of which 1 broke, so I'll need to either try and repair, or replace it), and 57 Orc Boyz:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/mybrain/Orcs%20and%20Goblins/DSC01671.jpg

What I have left to assemble. 38 Boyz and 40 Night Goblins...fun:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/mybrain/Orcs%20and%20Goblins/DSC01670.jpg

All that (baring characters) is still only 660 points..ish....ugh.

DV8