PDA

View Full Version : Future Dark Elf plastics - what can we expect?

Scelerat
17-11-2010, 14:34
Firstly, no, I don't know anything of future DE releases, apart from what we've all seen (the Dragon).
My question is, now that we've seen (and touched and cuddled) the new Dark Eldar plastics, what would you like to see in future DE wave releases? I know Dark Elves are not Dark Eldar, at all. However, there are some aesthetic similarities that have been proven to work in plastic because of the Dark Eldar releases. I'm specifically talking about the scaled armour, sharp stuff and the running-dynamic poses and flowing hair.
Now it has been proven: plastic Witch Elves are feasible. Of course there are many differences between them and DE Wyches, but the point stands: running/pouncing stances can be made to look good in plastic, and non-freakish female elven faces and flowing hair can also be done to look good.
I don't dare to expect plastic Witch Elves, but I sure as hell hope for them!

Also, and having the last HE wave as a reference, I guess the next updated units will be from the special section: Black Guard is almost a given, and Executioners are somewhat expectable. What would you people like to see in those kits? How "expectable" do you think they are? Any more thoughts on that?

Knifeparty
17-11-2010, 14:56
I would really like to see the following in Plastics...

Dark Riders (obvious choice) I've converted mine from Glade Riders/Glade Guard and Corsairs

Warriors for sure. Just looking at the way the new corsair models turned out and the art that was in the WFB Rulebook for DE makes me think that they could do wonders with this unit. Same with Crossbows.

Aside from the price, I actually really like the Reaper Bolt Thrower model, so I wouldn't want to replace this any time soon.

Cold One Knight Chariot. Obviously the Knights were re-done, therefore the Chariot should also be.

Shades, now that great weapons are kinda **** for shades to take, they should definately get plastics.

Black Guard, Executioners, and Witch Elves are all very nice sculpts and still stand up after all these years. That being said I wouldn't mind them making a few into Plastic, they probably will when the next book hits and they make Executioners OP and nerf Black Guard.

Plastic Cauldron of Blood would be awesome as a centre piece to the army. Im thinking along the lines of the Screaming Bell. It would be awesome if it was pulled by Witches or Executioners.

I would like an all plastic Sorceress and Dreadlord box like the high elves got.

Plastic Manticore and Rider would be epic. Especially if in the next book they made the Cult of Khaine super competitive.

Lord_Elric
17-11-2010, 15:23
WHAT NEW DRAGON ???????

that aside going on the HE release im actualy guessing at plastic black guard and plastic witch elves i cant see excutioners as their not used that ofen.

character wise i cant see any new basic characters just yet tbh but i can see a proper plastic Helebron on manticore model would be ace and would go with plastic witchelves

cauldron of blood would be nice and so would shades tbh

Lars Porsenna
17-11-2010, 15:59
IMHO, I could see a combined Black Guard/Executioners box. There would have to be a few liberties taken WRT the current look, but it definitely could be done with alternate arms and heads. Also a plastic dreadlord (2fer: just like HE one would be mounted, and the other on foot) and a Sorceress kit (as the HE set). Also I'd throw in a plastic Dark Riders, and (I'm calling it!) a plastic Hydra!

For metal a new chariot, harpies, and something from the range that looks good or OK (like say Shades) and made into a much inferior sculpt (in keeping with the HE parallel).

Damon.

kyussinchains
17-11-2010, 16:04
I'd better buy up my remaining special slots of Black Guard and Executioners then!!.... the Executioners are still the best looking infantry unit around IMO

I'm hoping for Chariots (although I'm getting sick of waiting and plan to make some out of lion chariots) A Cauldron of Blood, Harpies, shades and maybe dark riders, although I'm perfectly happy with the 23 I have now....

I'd also like to see Malekith on foot, chariot and dragon, as well as Hellebron for a sense of completeness.... although historically they do suck at sculpting women and/or special characters in dynamic poses, the way queek headtaker looks like he's exploding out of the unit gives me hope that they've finally cracked it....

Lord_Elric
17-11-2010, 16:15
???? ISNT the current hydra models plastic?????

i sculpted my own so never bought one (cus it looks so terribly unrealistic like an angry greyhound)

Lars Porsenna
17-11-2010, 16:18
???? ISNT the current hydra models plastic?????

Nope: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440051a&prodId=prod1380000

Damon.

L1qw1d
19-11-2010, 07:11
think of the flames "whirling" at the base of the mage for IoB- and then think of how that can translate to the long necks of the hydra!

Tupinamba
19-11-2010, 13:15
Id like plastic DRs and new chariotts, Dragon and Manti (dont mind really if theyre plastic).

Black Guard and Executioners are some of my favourite units overall, so I hope they DON`T mess with them.

Although many criticize the basic warriors, Im pretty ok with them (I actually quite like my painted ones a lot).

Chainaxe07
19-11-2010, 13:21
Hello,
well plastic dark riders and chariots are somewhat expected, dont know about anything else.

Lars Porsenna
19-11-2010, 16:46
Although many criticize the basic warriors, Im pretty ok with them (I actually quite like my painted ones a lot).

I think the basic warriors are fine too, one of the better plastics to come out of that era. I also collect High Elves, and our plastics from that era (specifically Warriors and Archers -- I think the Silver Helms are OK except for the horses) are dire. Ironically, making armored archers from the two HE sets look pretty good, so that is the one saving grace of the army...

Damon.

Poseidon_II_
19-11-2010, 17:05
I really hope they don't make a plastic model for witch elfs couse I just bought 10 metal and I think the current model is fine. But a Culdron of Blood would be nice (not a big fan of the Death Hag model).

Shards of Basalt
19-11-2010, 17:07
To me, the only thing wrong with the current Warriors is the oversized hands.

sulla
20-11-2010, 06:42
I would expect to wait a long time for anything new in plastic for the druchii. There have been rumours for a long time now; so long that they begin to look like wishlisting. Besides, the DE models are ok at present. Nothing is dreadful in their line.

AlphariusOmegon20
20-11-2010, 09:18
Considering what was released for their lighter cousins, I'd say Executioners, Black Guard, and a Cold One chariot would be the most likely releases.

Urgat
20-11-2010, 10:51
Also, and having the last HE wave as a reference, I guess the next updated units will be from the special section: Black Guard is almost a given, and Executioners are somewhat expectable. What would you people like to see in those kits? How "expectable" do you think they are? Any more thoughts on that?

For now, i'll merely allow myself to hope that black guards and executionners will have ther own respective kits, and won't be a mixed set deal, watering wodn both looks into a single one.

IMHO, I could see a combined Black Guard/Executioners box. There would have to be a few liberties taken WRT the current look, but it definitely could be done with alternate arms and heads.

See? Why someone would hope for that is beyond me.
Also, I do "hope" for a replacement for the warriors. I hate them, with their barrel torso which gives them shoulders as broad as a marauder's. I don't care about the hands, it's easy to fix hands. But gorilla bodies?
But judging by the HE, it's not going to happen anytime soon, I'm certainly not expecting them.

UberBeast
20-11-2010, 18:02
Also, I do "hope" for a replacement for the warriors. I hate them, with their barrel torso which gives them shoulders as broad as a marauder's. I don't care about the hands, it's easy to fix hands. But gorilla bodies?

And here I thought you liked barrel shaped gorilla bodies?

Lars Porsenna
20-11-2010, 23:28
For now, i'll merely allow myself to hope that black guards and executionners will have ther own respective kits, and won't be a mixed set deal, watering wodn both looks into a single one.

See? Why someone would hope for that is beyond me.

I never said I hope for it, so please don't attribute to me something I did not say. I have complete units of both (now), so if GW released plastic Executioners/Black Guard, it wouldn't make much of a difference to me (FREX I do not own a single plastic White Lion, and never intend to, as the metals are fine and I own a lot of them). However, speculating on such a development isn't out of order in this thread.

Damon.

AlphaLegionMarine
20-11-2010, 23:43
I would expect to wait a long time for anything new in plastic for the druchii. There have been rumours for a long time now; so long that they begin to look like wishlisting. Besides, the DE models are ok at present. Nothing is dreadful in their line.

I raise the issue of the Cold One Chariot they no longer sell on the online store. That has long been our rallying flag for proof of a second wave for us Druchii. I will admit Dark Rider plastic kit would be nice, but Cold One Chariots are needed.

Makrar
21-11-2010, 01:49
New Plastic Warrior/Crossbow box
Old chariot with new cold ones
Dark Riders

As much as id like plastic special units, id rather not take the risk that they end up like the high elves did. failing that just cheaper plastic box sets that look exactly the same would do

Hochdorf
21-11-2010, 02:21
Plastic Executioners and Black Guard would be disappointing. The metals look good already. Unfortunately, I strongly suspect that this is what DE will get next. GW have a bad habit of replacing perfectly good metals with virtually identical plastics, rather than updating poor plastics (like the warriors and xbows).

vorthain
21-11-2010, 02:51
I'd say plastic harpies and dark riders would be great - non-plastic core is unacceptable.

AlexHolker
21-11-2010, 15:14
Plastic Executioners and Black Guard would be disappointing. The metals look good already. Unfortunately, I strongly suspect that this is what DE will get next. GW have a bad habit of replacing perfectly good metals with virtually identical plastics, rather than updating poor plastics (like the warriors and xbows).
I'd be disappointed too, but for a different reason. While a new 15 basic DE infantry kit is needed - whether it's warriors, executioners or black guard - what I want is for GW to extend their plastic range in new directions, and not just doing variations on the themes that are already represented. That means witches or harpies, not three different DE infantry in armour kits or another light elf cavalry kit.

Scelerat
21-11-2010, 18:32

While I agree that warriors should be updated, I strongly dislike Black Guard, for example. Why? Well, their proportions are extremely off. Look at those arms: they could belong to an ape! Too long.
Also, the helmetless head is ugly as hell, and the standard is ridiculously small. Of course that last thing is easily converted, but still.

Sandlemad
21-11-2010, 18:43
Are there any mixed-unit elite plastic kits? The HE White Lions and Phoenix Guard suggest it's not an angle GW would take... The only ones I can think of is the Dwarf Warrior/Longbeard kit but that's not really the same kind of thing.

Aenarion
21-11-2010, 19:15
The Dark Rider and Chariot kits are long over due, sadly I can't see us getting these until a book surfaces. The Chariot could be a possibilty as a out of wave release (did we ever get a second?) Dark Riders it seems are just to valuable and have been for a long time, thinking of the amount they get used in lists to their relative cost.

All I can think is to wait and see on the amount of plastics that a new HE book will get, I don't think we've ever had a book before our cousins. And compare from there, I wouldn't count their wave releases with anything we may initaly get on a release.

I'd expect the above as well as a rehashed box of warriors with spear shield and rxb options.

I'd like to see plastic Witches, Executioners, Black Guard and a Hydra as the metal one is so expensive. Unfortuantly I can see only one of those with the most likely to be Witches, perhaps I'm just looking at the Dark Eldar release too much. Though I would even be happy with metal updates on the Execs and BG as I'm not to overly fond of them at present.

I'd like to see the plastic dragon and rider if it does happen I see people's wishs of a dreadlord/mage box up in smoke.

And as for other mounts, a new pegasus would be grand but I can wait and steal from brets, and for others im still waiting on that heresy dragon and raging hero's manticore.

AlexHolker
21-11-2010, 22:55
Are there any mixed-unit elite plastic kits? The HE White Lions and Phoenix Guard suggest it's not an angle GW would take...
The White Lions and Phoenix Guard have a distinct look that, IMO, the Executioners lack. A single kit with two handed swords, crossbows and hand weapons and shields could could adequately represent any of the three units.

Unfortuantly I can see only one of those with the most likely to be Witches, perhaps I'm just looking at the Dark Eldar release too much.
It will be the first time GW has ever released plastic females without 40-75% of the box being wasted on males, which is why I want them. Just as long as GW doesn't get a sudden attack of prudishness or do something else stupid.

kyussinchains
21-11-2010, 23:26
The White Lions and Phoenix Guard have a distinct look that, IMO, the Executioners lack. A single kit with two handed swords, crossbows and hand weapons and shields could could adequately represent any of the three units.

wow......just wow, I'm constantly amazed at how differently people see certain miniatures.....

Scelerat
21-11-2010, 23:42
Indeed. How can anyone say Executioners don't have a distinct look is way beyond me.

Venkh
21-11-2010, 23:57
wow......just wow, I'm constantly amazed at how differently people see certain miniatures.....

Yeah it threw me as well. The DE elites are just as characterful as their HE counterparts. As far as Im concerned they can keep them metal in perpetuity

DE never get the same attention as other armies from a model perspective anyway. Despite being around as an army since at least 2nd ed they still have fewer plastic kits than any other army. It wouldnt surprise me if new models were years away and a new book came out in the middle of 9th.

Personally I would like new dark riders. Chariots are a very, very easy conversion.

AlexHolker
21-11-2010, 23:57
Well then, would someone like to stop being scandalised for a moment and tell me why you think they have a distinct look? If you replaced the weapons, couldn't they pass as a generic Dark Elf soldier kit?

I feel the same way about the Swordmasters of Hoeth, by the way.

Voss
22-11-2010, 00:35
Indeed. How can anyone say Executioners don't have a distinct look is way beyond me.

Thats true. GW hasn't been stupid enough to put a join in the middle of a sword with any other kits I can think of. I'd actually buy some if they were plastic.

@Aernarion- the wave releases seem to be the darling of GW production schedule these days. Given how slowly they're releasing books now, I don't think the Dark Elf armies will have to wait for a new book to see reinforcements.

@AlexHolker- I see what you mean, with a head swap [the helmets and chain mesh is rather dissimilar from warrior helmets] and the addition of the 'plate' flaps hanging on the front and sides of the models, the executioners are pretty close to standard warriors. The black guard are a bit more distinct in style, though.

Venkh
22-11-2010, 00:39
I agree about swordmasters, they look pretty dull to me. They ought to have gone for flowing robes with armour underneath to fit with the whole mystical warrior asthete background.

Executioners have a lovely curved shapes on their armour plates, helmets and the musicians horn. Their posture is also quite different, important in an elite unit.

Black guard have the distinctive horned helmets and wear a suit of full plate armour with, again, in its own distinctive pattern as well as a rather natty tabard.

They achieve this distinctive look without having to resort to the terribly overstated giant wings or spikes which blighted two of the recent high elf releases.

Voss
22-11-2010, 01:17
I... huh. How did I miss high elves with wings and spikes on?

Venkh
22-11-2010, 01:30
Hmm yes, hard to miss those giant flying helmets on the Pheonix Guard. The older more understated look was much better. Same goes for the Dragon princes, they just dont need all those spikes.

The HE asthetic started to go wrong with the release of the plastic character set. I really hope the DE sets keep to more sensible propoertions

boogle
22-11-2010, 01:44
for me the it would be:

Bolt Thrower - the HE have a nice kit and 16.50 for 1 metal one, no thanks!!
Dark Riders - they're core and just need the riders themselves redoing
Cold One Chariot - for the reasons others have said, to tie them in with the current Cold Ones
Witch Elves - controversial, but i feel as they have done Daemonettes in plastic, doing the Witch Elves wouldn't be that much of a stretch
Hydra - as it's so much of a pain to even think about putting together, i'm not even considering it as a purchase at the moment

Metals
Kouran
Tullaris
Harpies
Black Guard - i feel that they are just wrong, can't put my finger on exactly what, but they don't sit right with me.

AlexHolker
22-11-2010, 02:32
Witch Elves - controversial, but i feel as they have done Daemonettes in plastic, doing the Witch Elves wouldn't be that much of a stretch
Funny, my only misgivings about the idea are because of what they did to the plastic Daemonettes (and to a lesser extent, the Wyches). If GW isn't willing to do them right, they might as well not bother.

scarletsquig
22-11-2010, 03:28
Warriors/Crossbows, Harpies and Dark Riders should be the three plstic releases when they next get a wave IMO.

Harpies would also have the bonus of being a useful kit for beastmen players (one of their best special choices), and a new source of plastic wings would get all sorts of use.

The Warriors/Crossbows thing probably won't happen because GW only replaces core infantry plastic if it already pretty looks good (beastmen gors and ungors, empire state troops, dwarf warriors).

I think skaven clanrats, skeleton warriors and night goblins were the only 2 core plastic sets released in the entire of 7th/8th edition that actually improved on the old plastics. Pretty terrible track record considering these are supposed to be the iconic units of the army and we're forced to take a massive heaping pile of them.

Lars Porsenna
22-11-2010, 04:05
The Warriors/Crossbows thing probably won't happen because GW only replaces core infantry plastic if it already pretty looks good (beastmen gors and ungors, empire state troops, dwarf warriors).

I think skaven clanrats, skeleton warriors and night goblins were the only 2 core plastic sets released in the entire of 7th/8th edition that actually improved on the old plastics. Pretty terrible track record considering these are supposed to be the iconic units of the army and we're forced to take a massive heaping pile of them.

I'm going to have to disagree here. When Dwarfs were revised for 6e, I was pretty excited about the warriors plastics. I had stopped collecting dwarfs around 4e when a lot of Marauder sculpts became the range (say what you will, but I really never liked most of the Marauder sculpts aesthetics). But when I got a boxed set, I became really dissappointed in them -- they were terrible in all the same ways that HE and DE spearmen are criticized: ham-hands. Also the sculpts (and assembly) made them look more like midgets IMHO. The newer 7e plastics are marginally better. They're still not great, but at least it allowed me to retire the old 3e dwarfs and Harlequin sculpts I had been using (which were looking pretty ratty and crudely painted by my standards).

Damon.

Lord_Elric
22-11-2010, 04:54
personaly i think itll simply be either Black guard, executioners, or witch elves tbh i think given the new casting tech Gw are using now there getting rid of all their infantry metals tbh albeit slowly..I dont think their even going to touch dark riders tbh

considering the last models realeased were hydra, characters, corsairs, cold one knights its incredible unlikly that theyll be getting any of these next wave.

kyussinchains
22-11-2010, 10:56
considering the last models realeased were hydra, characters, corsairs, cold one knights its incredible unlikly that theyll be getting any of these next wave.

although they did replace the metal bloodcrushers with pretty much identical plastic ones within a few years..... so it's not like they haven't done this before.....

R-Love
24-11-2010, 00:26

Beastmen, at least, people really should have seen coming. When GW made the decision to ax the mixed herd (which I will admit, was probably a bad idea in the first place...) it was pretty obvious we'd get separate kits, trying to make effective units when you had to get 12 gor and 8 ungor per box would have been incredibly irritating... And considering Gors look exactly the same with more variety, I'm not sure how they didn't improve?

Also, Skaven + Skeletons + Night gobbos = 2 Kits? :p

Scelerat
24-11-2010, 17:58
Don't forget Stormvermin. They are core also.

kyussinchains
24-11-2010, 22:15
Don't forget Stormvermin. They are core also.

yes but they weren't plastic before....