PDA

View Full Version : 1750pts Skaven for Tournament

TheDrugLordX
18-11-2010, 02:14
Tournament rules:
*Maximum 1 large target
*Power Scroll is banned.
*Maximum 4 warmachines.
*No more than 12 power dice can be generated per magic phase.
*Items can't generate more than 2 power dice.
*Maximum 1 Lord Choice.
*No dublicate rare choices.

So with this in mind, I created a first draft for a moulder-themed list (scenarios are yet to be spoiled).

Grey Seer - 315
General
Dispell Scroll, Talisman of Preservation, Iron Curse Icon

Assassin - 148
Potion of Strength, Tail Weapon

Warlock Engineer - 45
Doom Rocket

39 Stormvermin - 398
Standard, Musician, Storm Banner
Warpfire Thrower

41 Skavenslaves - 84
Musician

40 Skavenslaves - 82
Musician

5 Giant Rats & 1 Packmasters - 23

6 Rat Ogres & 2 Packmasters - 256

6 Gutter Runners - 108
Poison, Slings

Hellpit Abomination - 235

Total: 1750pts

Now it's your job to tell me how I can improve this list.

Thanks!

TheDrugLordX
19-11-2010, 22:04
List updated.

Really, is it that good that you have no comments? :)

Svarten
20-11-2010, 09:55
The only comment I can think of is, why you donīt use The Foul Pendant on your Grey Seer? :(

Itīs exactly the same item as Talisman of PReservation, only that it is so much more Skaven xD

w3rm
21-11-2010, 01:26
Because it doesnt exsit anymore :P

TheDrugLordX
21-11-2010, 10:16
Well it does exist, but it only confers a 5+ ward save, not a 4+...

Svarten
21-11-2010, 15:12
Oh, sorry, havenīt learned the new magic items good enough it seems... xD

karse88
22-11-2010, 20:56
i would bring a doomwheel.. hard to find a situation not to bring one i think... takes care of the big guys that might show up.. beastmen beware! ^^

TheDrugLordX
23-11-2010, 16:02
I have the gutter runners and assassin for bigger (unarmoured) stuff. I would prefer a doom wheel over the hellpit, but I keep the hellpit for theme purposes.

Only question I have now is; in what formation do I use my stormvermin? My initial thought was horde, but I'm not so convinced any more. Thoughts?

karse88
24-11-2010, 11:43
i really don't know for sure... i choose the formation when i know what i want to trow them at.. at the beginning when theyre placed on the table.. 7 wide have worked wonders for me, and you still keep hight ranks

ztlambe
24-11-2010, 13:29
Grey Seer - 315
General
Dispell Scroll, Talisman of Preservation, Iron Curse Icon

Im a fan of keeping him simple and safe so I like your build.

Assassin - 148
Potion of Strength, Tail Weapon

This is something I would lose for other options later in the list, besides looking super cool, I've never found these guys pulling their own weight.

Warlock Engineer - 45
Doom Rocket

Perfect.

One thing I would swap the Assasian for is a BSB, it really helps to keep your slave blocks holding them up. A slaveblock with generals leadership and a few ranks is a rerollable stubborn 10... amazing!

40 Stormvermin - 400
Standard, Musician, Fangleader, Storm Banner
Doom Flayer

Great but personally I have always been a fan of the Warpfire thrower, and the reason is this, you run a slave block 5 by 8 in your case, hold them in combat, and then flamethrow into the combat while your steadfast troops hold them.

40 Skavenslaves - 82
Musician

I love 50 but we are playing at low points.

40 Skavenslaves - 82
Musician

6 Rat Ogres & 2 Packmasters - 256

The giant rants would be more effective IMO in one squad rather than 3, I'm not really a fan of them in 8th but a themes a theme, the ogres are great.

6 Gutter Runners - 108
Poison, Slings

Id like to see you boost these guys up to 10 somehow, with 10 you can put enough wounds to average kill a warmachine with one round of shooting, which is what you want them doing anywho.

Hellpit Abomination - 235

Perfect, I love the Hellpit, its a really solid choce

Total: 1750pts

Now it's your job to tell me how I can improve this list.

The one MAJOR thing I would change in this list is the stormverman block. While they do hit hard for skaven infantry, during the play-testing we have done they have never preformed as optimally as they should for their points. My recommendation would be to try and get 2 clan rat squads with warpfires, for the reasons I mentioned above, you should be able to whittle down your opponents enough that your static combat rez and your ogres/hellpits can win the day.

thesheriff
26-11-2010, 20:49
Your grey seer is illegal. 2 talismains.

thesheriff

htmlord
26-11-2010, 23:25
Iron Curse Icon isn't a talisman, its an Enchanted Item. He's all good.

TheDrugLordX
27-11-2010, 00:20
Seeing you guys seem to approve of the list, I'm pretty satisfied. I'll just address your comments briefly;

Assassin is there mainly because I have a cool (moulder) conversion idea for him. I'm also in a hurry kinda (need to do roughly 3 minis a day!:eek:) to finish this army, so point-sink characters is one way to make it go faster.

With LD10 over the bord (mostly) I'm not too convined on the BSB. Especially a fully equiped one, I'd rather have the assassin in that case.

I've never quite succeded with the slave + warpfire thrower combo, mainly because I've never commited to it fully. But I'll drop 1 stormvermin (and fangleader uppgrade) and ad a slave and exchange the Doom Flayer for a Warpfire Thrower (same total points).

The giant rats together would form a unit of 18 modells, you really think skaven units can do anything in such small numbers? If I want ranks, i play slaves/clanrats, if I want attacks, I play Stormvermin. I actually hated giant rats untill I figured out their best purpose; redirection, disruption & warmachine/mage hunting! Deployed in 2x3 formation (2 files, 3 ranks) they still get all attacks with as few attacks back as possible. Just have to be careful so that they don't cause any unecessary panic tests.

I'm not convinced on the Stormvermin either, but making them heavily (moulder) converted so they fit perfect in the army. They're based on plaguemonks, so for other games later on, I could just use them as plaguemonks and then ad in clanrats with WFT. As for now, I need to limit the amount of painting I have to do!

Thanks! If you have any other ideas please let me know:)

MUTATE: First post (army list) updated!