PDA

View Full Version : Lizardmen Questions

H33D
18-11-2010, 08:33
This questions are all considering I will probably want to collect around 2-3k of Lizards.

-Is an Oldblood on Carnosaur effective? What are some popular magic items and equipment for the Oldblood?

-Is a priest on an ancient stegadon with engine of the gods effective? what is a good way to use magic without a slann? most of my points will probably go towards the oldblood for lord choices.

-What are good BSB options without a Slann? I am thinking of a Scar Veteran on a Cold one in a unit of Cold One Riders. Which leads to my next question.

-I am thinkin of running a somewhat miniature deathstar unit of 10-15 Cold Ones with my BSB and either the Jaguar Standard (extra D6" pursue) or the Razor Standard (armor piercing)

-Is a Skink Chief on a Terradon effective? I am thinking of taking one with the Staff of the Lost Sun and putting him with Terradon Riders and using them as a hit-and-run unit.

-I am thinking of running two units of 30 skinks with 3 kroxigors in the second rank. Will I lose that unit due to my opponent killing mass amounts of skinks or will the kroxigors help them win/draw combats? should I give up on the mixed unit?

-Chameleon Skinks, yes/no?

-Can Razordons ever be useful? It seems that if they stand and shoot they could dish out some pain but Salamanders still seem better and everyone takes them.

Sorry for all of the questions. You see, I want to start collecting a second army. I currently play Dwarves but I want an army that my son can play with when he is old enough to start learning how to play (he is a year old). He really really likes big dinosaurs thus the carnosaur instead of slann. Anyway let me know any other tips you guys have. Thanks and cheers!

Vsurma
18-11-2010, 09:32
This questions are all considering I will probably want to collect around 2-3k of Lizards.

-Is an Oldblood on Carnosaur effective? What are some popular magic items and equipment for the Oldblood?

Effective for cost? No, it will cost as much as a unit of saurus that add 18-24 S4 attacks, his 8 S5 attacks or 5 S7 won't compare, however he does take up 1 space in a saurus unit, meaning he can put a lot of against 1 unit, and in this edition you want to win combats by a lot to break the enemy, assuming they are no steadfast of course. So it depends, generally he is out in games that are below about 3k because the slann will end up costing about 450-500 points fully tooled up leaving no room for the old blood, that really is the main reason you don't see him, the 2nd reason is he doesn't add much over a scar vet.

-Is a priest on an ancient stegadon with engine of the gods effective? what is a good way to use magic without a slann? most of my points will probably go towards the oldblood for lord choices.

Magic without a slann kinda sucks, your stuck with the lore of heavens which is pretty much tied at worst place with fire for the weakest lores. If that is the way you want to go you will be playing magic defensive as opposed to offensive with the slann. Still if you want an oldblood for some reason (say you like dinos and want a carnosaur), then go with 3 lv2 skink priests, you can take the cube of darkness, dispel scroll and a 3rd arcane item. The engine is AWSOME if you never run into cannons, stone throwers and other war machines they make this guy dissappear way too fast. Fine in stand alone game where you know your opponent isn't empire, dwarves etc. If the enemy has cannons the guy is horrible, while your steg might survive the priest won't.

-What are good BSB options without a Slann? I am thinking of a Scar Veteran on a Cold one in a unit of Cold One Riders. Which leads to my next question.

Sort of, cold ones tend to run on flanks as they won't beat any infantry unit with S4 or more with a frontal charge, meaning your bsb will also be on the flank, is that where you want it? A walking bsb isn't too bad with armour of fortune and GW

-I am thinkin of running a somewhat miniature deathstar unit of 10-15 Cold Ones with my BSB and either the Jaguar Standard (extra D6" pursue) or the Razor Standard (armor piercing)

Multiple attack units such as cold ones do better when they actually get to use their multiple attacks, this doesn't really happen with the cold one units of large sizes. 2 Smaller units will do better, Oh and the huanchi banner is the way to go, you want to get the charge, otherwise the unit is just a very expensive saurus unit.

-Is a Skink Chief on a Terradon effective? I am thinking of taking one with the Staff of the Lost Sun and putting him with Terradon Riders and using them as a hit-and-run unit.

You will have minuses to hit from moving, multiple shots and possibly long range, you will never hit anything. He is also expensive and easy to kill. What is it going to be gunning for?

-I am thinking of running two units of 30 skinks with 3 kroxigors in the second rank. Will I lose that unit due to my opponent killing mass amounts of skinks or will the kroxigors help them win/draw combats? should I give up on the mixed unit?

In theory it is kind of a cool unit, the krox do the killing and everytime you lose a model its just a 5pt skink, sounds ok, full ranks for some static CR.

Unfortunately 3 krox get 4.5 hits on average per turn, a Similar costing saurus spear unit will be getting 12 S4 hits, which do you prefer? The krox just don't kill enough for it to be worthwhile most of the time. They would do well against certain enemies though, say Greater demons, treemen, dragons etc, that is pretty much the only unit it does well against as far as I can tell.

-Chameleon Skinks, yes/no?

yes....Yes.....YES, you can take 3 units, do so, I started with 3*6 but have since raised them, 3*10 for my next tournament, these units are pure awsome

-Can Razordons ever be useful? It seems that if they stand and shoot they could dish out some pain but Salamanders still seem better and everyone takes them.

Yes but salamanders are 17.47 times better so it's hard to take these guys. The ability to stand and shoot is kind of funny, they work well when enemies that can't beat them in CC charge them. How often do people make bad charges? The enemy will either never charge them or they will do so with a unit that kicks their ass. Bad deal for you

Sorry for all of the questions. You see, I want to start collecting a second army. I currently play Dwarves but I want an army that my son can play with when he is old enough to start learning how to play (he is a year old). He really really likes big dinosaurs thus the carnosaur instead of slann. Anyway let me know any other tips you guys have. Thanks and cheers!

I reckon at say 3k points level you could go with a carnosaur, slann in TG and lots of stegadons, 3 chamo skink units to take out the cannons.

Grey Mage
19-11-2010, 07:09
If your going to go with a skink chief on terradon I reccommend the following build-

Skink Chief- Terradon, Shield of Ptolos, Light Armor, Sword of the Hornet- 137pts, good for character hunting and bring magical attacks where you need them.

I play ALOT of vampire counts in this area, and spirithosts and other ethereal units are absolutely a pain in the **** to deal for lizzies. I miss the days when we got extra magic items, including being able to take them on champions, because of our 'superior number and quality' compared other races.

Vsurma
19-11-2010, 10:22
Won't said spirit hosts destroy that guy inthe first round of combat?

Also 1 magic missile kills him dead, you could use terradons to protect him I guess.

War machines can still snipe thuogh unless you have a huge unit.

Grey Mage
19-11-2010, 23:20
Depends on wether or not your dumb with model placement- warmachines cant snipe things they cant see, and magic missiles still have to break a 1+ armor save in most cases- hes also got a high Initiative and a decent number of attacks.

A spirithost charged in the flank or rear as it holds up your units wont be killing him in one round of combat though unless your opponent gets really lucky. In return he gives you the extra 2-3pts of combat resolution that allows you to watch the ghosts dissapear.

Vsurma
20-11-2010, 09:20
The 1+ armour save that works against shooting and not magic?

Huh? he will still have 2 models in btb most likely, 3 if your unlucky or if the opponent is the one charging, so 6-9 S5 attacks, the guy has 2 T3 wounds, why wouldn't it die?

Are you running it on its own or with a unit? Neither seems great to me.

I really wish the skink heroes had some function atm I just don't see it.

Glen_Savet
21-11-2010, 19:11
I use skink priests on flying carpets and with wings as mobile bolt throwers for my fire slann. It's more of a gimmick then anything, but it's fun.