PDA

View Full Version : Help with collecting bretonnians

Middenmordheimer
18-11-2010, 10:27
hey all i have just recently started collecting Bretonnians as i have aquired some very cheap.
So far i have a box of archers, knights of the relm/errants and a box of 5 questing knights. I was wondering if any bret players can tell me what is effective to use on the table as i can't afford the army book yet and want to know what to save money for/what to prep to paint.

Torpedo Vegas
18-11-2010, 15:46
Knights of the Realm, lots of them. Trebuchets are also very good. I don't like Questing Knights, I think they are too expensive and too easy to kill. Always take a unit of Grail Knights when you can. You'll need some Men@Arms (units 40 strong as a rule) and archers are always helpful.

Malorian
18-11-2010, 16:36
Another thing to keep in mind is that you convert more questing knights for cheap using a knight box and a great sword box.

Basically all the knights are solid, archers are useful, men at arms are effective IF you want to slow your lines, and trebs do a ton of damage.

You'll also want a mounted mage in there too.

Chaos Wombat
18-11-2010, 16:36
Depending how many points you are playing I would suggest getting 2 battalion boxes,which is 32 archers,16 knights,40 men at arms,works out around 2500 - 3000 points.
Plus you NEED the Bretonnian battle standard model as its kind of mandatory.

jindianajonz
18-11-2010, 16:39
Brettionians are required to have a BSB as well, so you'll probably have to get that unit.

What size army are you going for? I'd say two Trebuchet's are mandatory at 2000 points (they are the best stone thrower in the game). The bret army that I'm working on right now has 30 Men at Arms, 32 Archers, 16 knights of the realm, 2 Trebuchets, 3 pegasus knights, Paladin on BSB, Lord on Hippogryph (mostly used as an excuse to buy the model) and a damsel. I'm still buying and painting, though, so I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Awilla the Hun
20-11-2010, 16:08
The Battleforce is a good start. But what you need is stupendous amounts of Men at Arms, bowmen, trebuchets, a few pegasi, a compulsory knights unit, more men at arms, more bowmen, a reliquae and, of course, Comrade Von Stahlist thought! Failing the last one, just enormous waves of infantry, with knights providing leadership and occasional counter attacks. Actual mass heavy cavalry hammers are a luxury a true Bretonnia player doesn't need.

(Unless you actually want to fight in the spirit of the army. Which is rather more knightly, but less REVOLUTIONARY!)