PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or cant the Skaven Assassin, assasinate anything?

Cowardly Skaven Seer
19-11-2010, 09:33
Used him in my first game, popped him out and challenged a Chaos Knight champion. Did no wounds and got killed in return. I found him very lack-luster lol.

Just wonder if you guys have had a similar issue.

Although maybe my problem was not giving him any gear.

Wakerofgods
19-11-2010, 09:37
Hard to kill something with a 1+ amour save. You need to have something special to get around it.

Bad thing for a skaven assassin to fight.

Grupax
19-11-2010, 10:00
- potion of strenght and weeping blades?
to kill characters

- give him rending stars and stick him in a unit with flaming attacks
to kill aboms, hydras and valghurfs ...

not the most optimal character but still handy nontheless

"Although maybe my problem was not giving him any gear. " -- 120 points for just his statline is a bit crap, better to use 8 gutter runners with poised slings then :D

Kayosiv
19-11-2010, 10:04
The assassin went from being a useless and expensive chump in 7th edition to be amazing in 8th.

Suddenly he now gets to re-roll all misses and now has a huge item selection to choose from, most notable of which is the potion of strength which can make him strength 7 the turn he emerges.

A poorly equipped assassin is no match for a 2+ armor save, That doesn't make him worthless.

An unequipped assassin is going to get 4 hits at best which will turn into a likely 2 wounds. That gives you a 1/3 chance to kill that knight. He has a better chance than almost every other unequipped hero character in the game. Give him some stuff that can cut through armor and that knight'll be giving you some combat resolution in no time.

Cowardly Skaven Seer
19-11-2010, 10:07
hmm true thanks for the feedback

CauCaSus
19-11-2010, 11:22
- give him rending stars and stick him in a unit with flaming attacks
to kill aboms, hydras and valghurfs ...

Magic weapons can't be flaming (unless its in their description).

The weeping blade / potion of strength combo is still pretty good. Maybe not 170 pts good, that depends on what target you are able to reach.

Kevlar
19-11-2010, 11:49
The problem with the assassin is his base 3 attacks for 170 points. He costs more than a warlord naked, and the warlord is better once equipped. ASF isn't that powerful in 8th where killing the front rank doesn't matter.

Against most things a chieftan with halberd is better, since you can have 3-4 of those for the price of one assassin.

Djekar
19-11-2010, 12:47
I heard a great discussion of this when the 7th ed rules came out about using the assassins in a protective role rather than a destructive one. For example - you soak challanges with your assassin that has a pretty low chance of dying while keeping your Seer or Warlord alive. Who knows, you might even kill your opponent! This tactic got a lot better in 8th with the ability of the Assassin to take armor (the silvered steel seems popular) and make himself even harder to kill.

You'll have to judge for yourself is challange protection is worth the price tag though, given the general weakness of the assassin's attacks. I'm not a huge fan, but it's good to keep an open mind about things.

Grupax
19-11-2010, 13:58
Magic weapons can't be flaming (unless its in their description).

The weeping blade / potion of strength combo is still pretty good. Maybe not 170 pts good, that depends on what target you are able to reach.

are you sure it doesn't stack with that banner?
considering it's not an ability of the assassin but the banner saying that all attacks, shooting and close combat count as flaming...

bluemage
19-11-2010, 15:31
^ Look under the rules for flaming attacks.

decker_cky
19-11-2010, 16:09
I think the 2+ armour save assassin is pretty hot too (with 1 reroll from the luckstone).

snottlebocket
20-11-2010, 15:36
I think the 2+ armour save assassin is pretty hot too (with 1 reroll from the luckstone).

He doesn't die so he can continue to do nothing?

Kevlar
20-11-2010, 16:03
He doesn't die so he can continue to do nothing?

Well I guess he would be good for challenges. He could tie up an expensive lord for a while. Offensively I can't see him earning back his points though. Not bad to protect a bell seer I suppose.

Svarten
20-11-2010, 16:16
I use mine to hunt warmachines, hangunners etc. I do this by scouting him close by, then either marching up close and charge the next turn, or charge the first if I donīt get first turn.
Because 4ASF poisoned attacks, killes most warmachine crews and small ranged units :D

decker_cky
20-11-2010, 17:39
Does any hero really earn back his points? If he generates some extra kills that wins a fight and breaks an enemy, he's worth his points same as most combat characters. With 4 rerollable poison attacks, he'll generate a few extra wounds against most any unit. He can tie up any hero very effectively, and many lords too. Earning back points is a stupid concept. He's a tactical tool, and a survivable one at that.

Glittering scales is another solid option for an armour, and lets you throw a potion in there too for some S7 on all those attacks one turn.

Kevlar
20-11-2010, 18:31
Does any hero really earn back his points?

65 point warlocks do very easily, usually in the first warp lightning cast. If I want a hero that is going to help break a unit a priest on a furnace is a better choice. Assassins don't really have much of a point, and at 170 points are a bit overpriced for just adding some kills against RnF. A 47 point chieftan with halberd is fine for that job.

russellmoo
21-11-2010, 06:33
It really depends on what you are trying to do- a single, no magic items assassin can't do that much-

However, what is the potential tactical advantage of say- 3 assassins hiding in say a unit of slaves or similar "tarpit"- suddenly, 3 assassins pop out and turn the "worthless" slave unit- into a combat monster-

This works really well against armies that need certain match ups to win- you could really throw off someones overall battle plan in a hurry-

Really, it is the theme of 8th ed- go big-

TheDrugLordX
21-11-2010, 11:34
Well I guess he would be good for challenges. He could tie up an expensive lord for a while. Offensively I can't see him earning back his points though. Not bad to protect a bell seer I suppose.

This option is really bad if he also has a champion in his unit, simply having the challenge with your assassin with the champ instead. Once you've finished of his champ, his combat monster would surely have finished of your seer.

I run mine with Potion of Strength and Tail Weapon. That's 5 attacks with rerolls to hit and poision (altough one attack is S3). Cleares infantry pretty well, unless they're heavily armoured, where the potion comes in handy. With ASF, poison and a strength boost, he kinda smashes larger opponents (monsters) with ease.

w3rm
21-11-2010, 19:23
I run one with tail blade and a str potion in a unit of 5 gr with smoke bombs. Run up, do some damage, run away, repeat.

snottlebocket
21-11-2010, 21:18
Does any hero really earn back his points? If he generates some extra kills that wins a fight and breaks an enemy, he's worth his points same as most combat characters. With 4 rerollable poison attacks, he'll generate a few extra wounds against most any unit. He can tie up any hero very effectively, and many lords too. Earning back points is a stupid concept. He's a tactical tool, and a survivable one at that.

Glittering scales is another solid option for an armour, and lets you throw a potion in there too for some S7 on all those attacks one turn.

My heroes win back their points the first time their leadership prevents my expensive unit from breaking and running.

Kevlar
21-11-2010, 22:53
My heroes win back their points the first time their leadership prevents my expensive unit from breaking and running.

Yep, something else that 170pt assassin can not do.

Clanrat
21-11-2010, 23:12
well call me old fashioned, but i run mine with the good old weeping blade/pot ofr str combo...seems to work quite well, hidden in units hes pretty dam nasty against almost any enemy. frankly ever since he took out a chaos lord with the Mot and a silly armour save by rolling a 3 onb the mulitpe wounds bit on the one failed save, ive much preferred the weeping blades on him rather than the warlord.

htmlord
22-11-2010, 04:05
Don't forget that you don't have to challenge your opponent. When you put out the assassin, put him in base to base with the enemy you want to fry (Teclis, perhaps???) and don't issue a challenge, just swing like crazy. Weeping blades are golden, btw.

Tarian
22-11-2010, 04:09
I use mine to carry a bomb. Useless? Maybe. Absolutely hilarious? Of course.