PDA

View Full Version : Coven of the Dark Tower: 3000pts Beastmen

Knifeparty
19-11-2010, 16:52
Hey, I've always wanted to make a Beastmen army ever since 6th edition. There's something lovingly pathetic about them, and I kinda want to watch them die in droves to massed arrow fire as they attempt to rend their foes apart in merciless combat. And I like the models alot...

I'll eventually get around to making this army I hope, after I'm finished my WOC, Space Wolves, and Dark Eldar Kabal. Anyway this is my first attempt at a Beastmen list, tell me what you think.

Coven of the Dark Tower: 3000 pts Beastmen List

Lords:

Doombull: Goes with the Beastigor Heard
Options: General, Shield
Magic Items: The Brass Cleaver, Armour of Destiny, Iron Curse Icon
Gifts of Chaos: Gnarled Hide

Great Bray-Shaman: Goes with the Beastigor Heard
Options: Level 4, Extra hand weapon
Magic Items: Power Scroll, Chalice of Dark Rain
Lore: Lore of Shadows, or Death I haven't yet decided.

Hero's:

Gorebull: Goes with the Minotaur Heard
Options: Battle Standard Bearer, Shield, Heavy Armour
Magic Items: Talisman of Endurance
Gifts of Chaos: Gnarled Hide

Bray-Shaman: Goes with Gore Heard #1
Options: Level 1, Extra hand weapon
Magic Items: Feedback Scroll
Lore: Lore of Beasts: Selecting only Wyssan's Wildform to buff Gors

Bray-Shaman: Goes with Gore Heard #2
Options: Level 1, Extra hand weapon
Magic Items: Dispel Scroll
Lore: Lore of Beasts: Selecting only Wyssan's Wildform to buff Gors

Core:

5 Ungor Raiders:
Options: Musician

5 Ungor Raiders:

5 Ungor Raiders:

39 Gors:
Options: Full Command, Shields

39 Gors:
Options: Full Command, Shields

Tuskgor Chariot

Tuskgor Chariot

Special:

35 Beastigors:
Options: Full Command
Banner: Standard of Discipline

7 Mintaurs:
Options: Full Command, Great Weapons

Knifeparty
20-11-2010, 04:15
No comments at all?

So would you say this is a great list? or the Greatest list?

Sexiest_hero
20-11-2010, 04:32
get a Cygor, I mean why not.

spiderman5z
20-11-2010, 07:44
I agree on getting either a cygor or a gorghon

Mithras69
20-11-2010, 08:17
I agree on getting either a cygor or a gorghon

I don't :p The core and special choices beastmen have are all very solid but the rares are not very effective for their price.

Back to your list I think it looks pretty good. One thing I would do is swap the shield on the gors for xtra handweapons. And maybe change a gor unit into ungor (hw+sh) and get some harpies and a single razorgor with the points saved. Harpies are great for warmachine hunting and being a general nuisance.

Knifeparty
20-11-2010, 13:26
I was thinking about getting harpies, maybe i'll drop some Raiders in favour of them. Some flying monkeys to add to my Dark Tower would be cool. lol.

On the question of the Rare choices in the Beastmen list, I like them but honestly just think they are way overpriced points wise. Especially that they have no armour or regen, I really can't see them being all that effective. If anything I would take a Jabberslythe or a Gorgon anyway.

Extra hand weapons eh? May I ask why, only because I was debating this myself, and came to the conclusion that the shields would at least make the Gore units a bit more survivable with the wardsave and I felt like I needed some anvil units in this army since I have Chariots and 2 Large Hammers.

P.S. Im not buying a Pumbagor lol.

RMacDeezy
20-11-2010, 14:30
i'm not an expert beastmen tactician by any means but wouldn't your bestigor herd be better served by primal fury rather than frenzy from the doombull? plus he'll get no LO,S so every template on the table is going right on his head. like i said, i am just barely starting beasts so if i'm missing something, don't be too hard on me ;)

Knifeparty
20-11-2010, 16:53
Thanks for the feedback, now I could also be wrong but doesn't the beastigor unit in this case benefit from both frenzy and primal fury, I know the doombull doesn't but I thought the unit did. Also I'm pretty sure he gets a 4+ lookout sir instead of the standard 2+. templates landing on my head I guess is just one of those things I'm just going to have to deal with. And with5 wounds and a 2+/4++ I'm not super worried. You can write a great list to deal with the most important threats but you can't cover your ass on every eventuality.

RMacDeezy
20-11-2010, 18:14
well my reasoning is that frenzy=immune to psych, therefore immune to primal fury. i think it would be better to put a mino character in with a huge unit of ungors instead, as they'll benefit more from frenzy than re-rolls to hit. as far as LO,S, the character needs to be within 3" of a unit of his unit type with at least 5 rank and file models in order to get a lookout sir. bestigors do not fit this criteria, thus no LO,S for you general.

Knifeparty
20-11-2010, 19:25
Primal fury I don't think has anything to do with psychology. You may be right about the Los rule, I'll have to double check my book. If I go up against alot of templates I'll just keep him close to my minotaurs I guess.

RMacDeezy
20-11-2010, 22:23
hatred is psychology...

Psygon
20-11-2010, 23:21
Primal fury I don't think has anything to do with psychology. You may be right about the Los rule, I'll have to double check my book. If I go up against alot of templates I'll just keep him close to my minotaurs I guess.

The rule (Slaughterer's Call) which grants the Doombull's/Gorebull's unit frenzy (and thus ItP) specifically states that the unit may no longer test for primal fury.

It is either/or, sadly. Regainable frenzy and multiple rounds of hatred would be great...

Knifeparty
21-11-2010, 00:03
Ok that's the rule I was looking for.

Hatred however is not psychology, it's a separate special rule. ITP simply states that they are immune to fear, terror, and panic and may not opt to flee a charge.

So I will probably turn my BSB into a Wargor and put him in the unit of Beastigors instead, and put my Lord in with the Mino's.