PDA

View Full Version : How is Karl Franz on the field?

Kiras of the flame
19-11-2010, 22:07
As the question says, how is the emperor on the field?

I'm thinking of making a 2500 game with him on a barded warhorse carrying Ghal Maraz(a.k.a The Banhammer) with Ludwig Schwarzhelm and a healthy amount of knights....

how will I fare on the field? how big of a target am I making him? You have any other builds to put our dear Emperor?

please discuss

Torpedo Vegas
19-11-2010, 22:09
Karl AND Ludwig in the same unit. If they manage to get into CC they will massacre everything, but expect to have every single Handgun, bow, crossbow, blowpipe cannon and mortar aimed at them.

Fox Of 9
19-11-2010, 22:17
dont forget every throw away and anvil unit just to allow them to purple sun or dwellers them

Nocculum
19-11-2010, 22:20
Sadly diminished with the advent of Leadership 10 Generals of the Empire (with Standard of Discipline).

Still, the increased range of his leadership translates well, and he is relatively cheap for his abilities if you keep him on foot or horseback, and don't fall for the trappings of a Griffon or Dragon.

DivineVisitor
19-11-2010, 23:14
I've fielded him once in 7th but yet to do so in 8th. He smashed up a Skaven Screaming Bell and proceeded to panic the accompanying Skaven unit with his Reiksguard Knight bodyguard.

I plan to field him as my army general in 3k+ games, mainly because i love the Hammer of Sigmar. I plan to run him with Knights and a Warrior Priest.

BigbyWolf
20-11-2010, 00:06
As the question says, how is the emperor on the field?

I'm thinking of making a 2500 game with him on a barded warhorse carrying Ghal Maraz(a.k.a The Banhammer) with Ludwig Schwarzhelm and a healthy amount of knights....

He's hard-hitting, basically a Templar Grand Master with an improved Runefang and decent ward. He is fairly pricey for an Empire general, but he's done ok in the games I've faced him.

Kiras of the flame
20-11-2010, 04:45
From what I can understand our great emperor is very pricey for the many lesser generals we can field... BUT he's awesome in a fight, and is basically a combo between an Empire General and a Templar Grand Master...

actually I like that because I like my Lord Fighty as well as a good leader might let him ride on a mighty steed....

Torpedo Vegas
20-11-2010, 05:02
I don't ever plan on fielding him, but when I finish up my Empire army at ~4000 points, I'm definitely buying His Imperial Majesty and giving him the Imperial Dragon as a mount.

SatireSphere
20-11-2010, 15:26
I've played him a couple of times on his dragon at 3000. He works pretty well in my experience, just make sure you send him at the right targets (heavily armored scary things like chaos knights).

He's a touch tougher now that he gets an armor save point for being on his dragon, plus they have to kill both of them to get the massive chunk of victory points.

Fox Of 9
20-11-2010, 17:53
Damm forgot what i was going to post :( Wait Wait Wait Wait isnt 130 of his price for skull splitter ???

Kiras of the flame
20-11-2010, 18:19
Damm forgot what i was going to post :( Wait Wait Wait Wait isnt 130 of his price for skull splitter ???

no it's just 30pts for the hammer

Fox Of 9
20-11-2010, 22:23
yer but you replace his runefang for 30pts so the skull splitter must cost runefang + 30pts. runefang = 100pts so skull splitter must cost 130pts so karlfran without weapon is 250pts

RanaldLoec
20-11-2010, 23:02
I find he works best in a unit of knights.

Immune to psych
4+ ward vs magic for his unit
2+ ward vs magic for himself
4+ ward normal
2+ armour save on a barded warhorse
3+ on a dragon or griffon
Ld10 18 inch range
4 attacks that auto kill after hitting

Pretty sweet just he costs 350 on foot no hammer
401 with hammer and horse
620 on deathclaw with hammer
750 on a dragon with hammer

I've modelled him on a dragon just finished him on foot and I need to reorder him to mount on a griffin, and modify my valtan for him on a horse.

He's a big chunk of points high strength troops can kill him scarily quick eg Woc chosen with halberds, white lions, swordmasters, blackguard.

If enough attacks get thrown his way he can die quite quickly. Also watch out for spells items that nullify magic items/weapons you even hint at taking KF and chaos lords all go to Walmart and buy a chaos rune sheild and all high elves wizards learn the vaul spell that nullifys magic items etc etc.

Plus under 3k I wouldn't bother some players seem to be allergic to special characters it turns them into whining little 5 year olds screaming "its broken I won't play, NO I won't play broken". Over 3k seems to make KF more palatable for the more sensitive players.

If your opponents easy going I'm sure the occasional outing of Karl should be fine.

Torpedo Vegas
21-11-2010, 03:30
yer but you replace his runefang for 30pts so the skull splitter must cost runefang + 30pts. runefang = 100pts so skull splitter must cost 130pts so karlfran without weapon is 250pts

Nope, he comes with the runefang, as in you cannot take him without it, it comes in his overall price, Skull Spliter is basically a very good upgrade.

DivineVisitor
21-11-2010, 11:42
Nope, he comes with the runefang, as in you cannot take him without it, it comes in his overall price, Skull Spliter is basically a very good upgrade.

Too bad it doesn't add +2 attacks ontop of everything else any more, Franz with 6 attacks would be beastly!

Novrain
21-11-2010, 16:53
Yeah that I gues is his weakness compared to alot of other killy characters out there. Only 4 attacks and ok but not startling weaponskill mean that he can sometimes whiff out.

bluerobbo_101
11-12-2010, 20:04
i've used a few times, usually on foot in blocks of greatswords or on horseback in of cav horde. He can work really well, especially when theres a priest to give him rerolls