PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy vs 40k?

Poseidon_II_
20-11-2010, 13:31
I saw a thread on another forum about if you could play warhammer fantasy vs warhammer 40k (ovbiously 40k would win easely, rule wise). But then I thought if it where lore wise or if you think "logicaly" it would still be 40k couse they got all those guns and tanks and advance technology thingys, but then i started thinking about demons of chaos. They are the exact same in both fantasy and 40k. So lore wise even if they got all those fancy weapons, technology and all those sci fi stuff they still can't anhialate all those demons. Actually they fight the demons on the same terms as they do in fantasy. And the demons of chaos diden't "evolve" or reaserch better weapons or stuff like that. So it is safe to say that it is equally effective to fight demons with swords as it is to shoot them down with super advanced plasma guns from the future? So if we could say that if tehoreticly the demons of chaos hade lika power level 90 then both fantasy and 40k would be like 50?

This is just my crazy theories but feel free to disscus and/or enlighten my mad thoughts ;)

Shas'o Kais
20-11-2010, 13:37
Well, since they're demons, yes, Fantasy is probably doing just as well beating the crap out of them (to whatever extent) as 40k is with giant tanks, something that is funny is, My high elf knights get 3+ armor save against bloodletters, while space marines get no armor at all.

The Marshel
20-11-2010, 13:52
fantasy universe and the 40k universe being the same place is very much up for debate. afaik oringinally this was the case in the early years of 40k but in recent times things have swung away from such. as such, one can assume deamons of 40k =/= deamons of fantasy just as easily as one can assume they are, so in terms of the old fantasy vs 40k debate its not really that solid of an argument.

but, for the sake of this thread, lets assume they are the same daemons. now, explain to me this. if daemons are not of the physical world, then why should a gun be any better at killing them then a sword? isnt the whole point that daemons are an unapproachable problem? explain to me exactly why an exploding tank shell should work any better then a sword through the chest of a deamon?

then we could take another angle entirely. again, afaik, daemons of the fantasy world are pretty much contained to the poles and they are breaking lose from there. they originally came to the world via the old ones portals correct? is it not to impossible to assume that the initial wave of daemons simply weren't the most powerful daemons running around the warp? or we could say that there is greater warp exposure in 40k then there is in fantasy thanks to all the warp travel going on, giving daemons more chance to break free and draw power and what not. in this theory the daemons my not have adapted, but the circumstances suit them far better and make them deadlier then ever.

Grand Master Raziel
20-11-2010, 13:53
Poseidon_II, I wouldn't read too much into it. GW saw an opportunity to make one set of models work with two of their core games, that's all. If it really came down to a fight to the death between the two universes, the 40K universe could just send in a starship with an exterminatus weapon to obliterate the entire Fantasy world.

Chris_
20-11-2010, 14:08
Poseidon_II, I wouldn't read too much into it. GW saw an opportunity to make one set of models work with two of their core games, that's all. If it really came down to a fight to the death between the two universes, the 40K universe could just send in a starship with an exterminatus weapon to obliterate the entire Fantasy world.Sorry, dispelled by Teclis. He then goes on to throw a sun in to the starship, poof... :D

impala
20-11-2010, 17:00
I think that 40K daemons need to be summoned into the body of a mortal host, while WFB daemons come into the material world with their own bodies. So the 40K daemons are a little more stable and tough, which is why the differences in technology have the same effect against daemons from different games.

Inquisitor_Tolheim
20-11-2010, 17:47
Sorry, dispelled by Teclis. He then goes on to throw a sun in to the starship, poof... :D

NUH UH! My starship was using it's sun invincibility shield and it fires it's magic proof laser to blow up the whole planet. No takebacks no shield I win.

They are two entirely different settings, and though the Daemons share names and models they are actually different from a storyline perspective and hardly inter interchangeable. It's like stupid arguments about who would win in a fight between Gandalf and Darth Vader, they are universes apart and play by different rules. You might as well be a pair of four year olds playing Calvinball and Indians.

LonelyPath
20-11-2010, 18:00
The only real exchange between 40k and WFB was presented in the Realm of Chaos books where on a result of a roll on a table your warband was catapulted from one universe into the other. It made fr some interesting gaming, even more so if you created a few rules where you could permanently run out of ammunition or had to find substitute ammo and so on.

Corrupted
21-11-2010, 08:15
Arent daemons in Fantasy TOP TIER army and in 40k on Lower tier ? That would mean figting with swords isnt that effective as shooting them with bolters etc.

KharnTheBetrayer01
21-11-2010, 09:16
I figured it was to do with the Gods potential Worship pool.

The Gods in fantasy have a sizable number of followers, and the strength of their daemons is shown accordingly. in 40, the number of Worshippers is truly ridiculous, and so the daemons get stronger, carving through armours, tanks and walking through hails of gunfire without stopping... Not to say they don't fall though. They're far more powerful, so are their enemies. So it all evens out. And then they get Exterminatused, and the whole thing becomes moot.

Col. Tartleton
22-11-2010, 03:32
Warhammer Daemon: Hit him with a hammer. Okay. Again. That's better. Exorcism completed.

Warhammer 40,000 Daemon: Load the Exterminatus Array. Cue Adagio in G Minor. Fire Exterminatus Array. Laugh out loud. Exorcism completed.

Kage2020
22-11-2010, 03:46
Poseidon_II, I wouldn't read too much into it. GW saw an opportunity to make one set of models work with two of their core games, that's all. If it really came down to a fight to the death between the two universes, the 40K universe could just send in a starship with an exterminatus weapon to obliterate the entire Fantasy world.
Let's just face it. GW are snickering all the way to the bank.

"We've sold them the same game twice and they're still lapping it up after two decades! FTW!"

:D

Kage

Tarian
22-11-2010, 03:52
Not to mention, 40k doesn't necessarily beat Fantasy on tabletop too. Multi-wound weapons, critters with T6, W7... Magic, and don't forget, armor save modifiers.

(Really depends on whether each system is using their own rules or if there's some conglomerate system or somesuch. Armor Saves, stackable saves and Magic v. Psykers is the major question, especially regarding Psychic Hoods, Dispel Dice/Scrolls and stuff like that. I'll take my T4 1+AS Knights against a Space Marine any day of the week, or the 1+ Rerollable, 3++ Tzeentch Lord with a ton of armor ignoring attacks.)

TheLaughingGod
22-11-2010, 07:05
Not to mention, 40k doesn't necessarily beat Fantasy on tabletop too. Multi-wound weapons, critters with T6, W7... Magic, and don't forget, armor save modifiers.

(Really depends on whether each system is using their own rules or if there's some conglomerate system or somesuch. Armor Saves, stackable saves and Magic v. Psykers is the major question, especially regarding Psychic Hoods, Dispel Dice/Scrolls and stuff like that. I'll take my T4 1+AS Knights against a Space Marine any day of the week, or the 1+ Rerollable, 3++ Tzeentch Lord with a ton of armor ignoring attacks.)

What +1 armor saves? Those don't exist anymore, sir.

Also, that's pretty much hilariously useless against a power sword.
("what? You have an auto-pass armor save? I ignore armor saves. yeah. suck it.")

as far as TT goes though, once Super-heavies, Fliers, Gargantuan Creatures and Titans get involved you're done on the Fantasy side. Assuming the rules for Psychic/Magic interact to some extent Super-heavies and Gargantuan creatures are basically immune to spells and Strength D is going to run everyones day in Fantasy)

FarseerMatt
22-11-2010, 08:09
Warhammer 40,000 Daemon: Load the Exterminatus Array. Cue Adagio in G Minor. Fire Exterminatus Array. Laugh out loud. Exorcism completed.

Nah - Schubert's credo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg8Twzm7YBs) ;)

Tarian
25-11-2010, 23:19
What +1 armor saves? Those don't exist anymore, sir.

Also, that's pretty much hilariously useless against a power sword.
("what? You have an auto-pass armor save? I ignore armor saves. yeah. suck it.")

as far as TT goes though, once Super-heavies, Fliers, Gargantuan Creatures and Titans get involved you're done on the Fantasy side. Assuming the rules for Psychic/Magic interact to some extent Super-heavies and Gargantuan creatures are basically immune to spells and Strength D is going to run everyones day in Fantasy)

Maximum Fantasy AS is a 1+ (1 always fails, but we have armor modifiers!) Anyhow, Fantasy has big hitters too (Emperor Dragon, etc. And I'd like to see your Super-heavy pass an I test or die. Or if its a Warmachine, roll a 5+ or die, no saves of any kind allowed, or S Test or die, or on a 5+, turn to gold and remove, no saves, etc. etc. Both sides have heavy hitters, so it's not that one sided. And yes, Strength D ruins everyone's day... though have to wonder what D6 wounds do to a Vehicle...

SimonL
25-11-2010, 23:46
I don't think it would be quite the massacre most people think. Remember that most Fantasy guns have a proportionately higher strength (Str 4 basic). Don't know if they changed it in the recent addition, but also strength related armour save reduction, plus the armour-piercing rule. In hand to hand, 40k units would take heavy losses from out-numbering in melee. Warhammer units get +1 strength from heavy hand weapons.

TheLaughingGod
26-11-2010, 06:15
I don't think it would be quite the massacre most people think. Remember that most Fantasy guns have a proportionately higher strength (Str 4 basic). Don't know if they changed it in the recent addition, but also strength related armour save reduction, plus the armour-piercing rule. In hand to hand, 40k units would take heavy losses from out-numbering in melee. Warhammer units get +1 strength from heavy hand weapons.

It would be because they don't have rules to deal with AV.
Titans would walk all over them.
Also, AP and power weapons would ruin WHFBs day.

No armor save reduction, but you just don't get to TAKE saves.

Tarian
26-11-2010, 14:56

No armor save reduction, but you just don't get to TAKE saves.

I'm sure a S10, Ignore armor Saves weapon with T7 and 3 Wounds could give a Titan trouble, especially as it can do d6 Wounds, which would have to be extrapolated into how it affects tanks. Or field their own tank, T10, W10, with a S10 Cannon on it with a 1+ AS, so ignores anything save a Meltagun or Power/Chain Fist on a 2+, which will be wounding it on 6s, and only be able to pop 1 wound off it a turn.

EDIT: Yep... go go Steam Tank?

Novrain
26-11-2010, 14:59
and a 1+ save on that fantasy tank :P and healable with lore of life...

massey
26-11-2010, 18:02
I'm sure a S10, Ignore armor Saves weapon with T7 and 3 Wounds could give a Titan trouble, especially as it can do d6 Wounds, which would have to be extrapolated into how it affects tanks.

Not really. It affects tanks the same as anything else, Str +D6 AP. Multiple wounds doesn't do anything to vehicles in 40K. See the old Implant Attack.

Or field their own tank, T10, W10, with a S10 Cannon on it with a 1+ AS, so ignores anything save a Meltagun or Power/Chain Fist on a 2+, which will be wounding it on 6s, and only be able to pop 1 wound off it a turn.

EDIT: Yep... go go Steam Tank?

We played a 40K vs Fantasy fight a while back. It was fun. Tyranids were attacking a VERY out-of-the-way Imperial feudal world. Halfway through the battle, reinforcements showed up in the way of deep striking Space Marines (the sky warriors had come to help). We gave Fantasy double the points and it worked out okay. Occasionally you'd have something weird, like a cannonball blasting a Carnifex to pieces, but Barbed Stranglers annihilate blocks of infantry, and a Devourer Flyrant is death to pretty much anything.

It seemed to me that the heavy-hitters in Fantasy allow them to keep it close, but 40K will have advantages across the board. Fantasy needs its wizards and knights and things to keep it from being a rout, because 40K infantry shooting is much more effective.

spetswalshe
26-11-2010, 18:27
NUH UH! My starship was using it's sun invincibility shield and it fires it's magic proof laser to blow up the whole planet. No takebacks no shield I win.

My anthropo-frogs laugh at your 'magic proofing', dissipate your laser and activate the Fantasy Apocalypse Cannon, also known as the Great Maw Launch Tube.

Then they send in Doom Space Divers. Fire enough goblins at a thing and it'll die, no questions asked.

Hrw-Amen
26-11-2010, 18:53
Not sure about actual in game stats, but I am pretty sure that in a 'real' situation unless a world was very heavily garrisoned then a feudal army of enough numbers would still win out in the end. Afterall, could a single tactical squad of marines (Even of Ultramarines.) hold a hill top against an army of every man in both the Empire and Bretonia, not to mention every other race? Maybe as long as they had ammo for the bolters or whatever else, but weight of numbers would surely win out in the end.

Afterall, there are plenty of examples from history.

What maybe fun, and not so potentially unmatched even fluff wise, would be an Ork Waghhh against wherever Orcs live in fantasy. (Sorry, I'm not that up on the WFB map.) They all appear to wear roughly the same armour, (Apart from Meganobs.) and wave choppas and the like around. I can imagine that being fun.

SimonL
26-11-2010, 19:14

ARRGH just lost my huge response....okay, here we go again

Of course Apoc. units will own Fantasy on the table, let's stick with codex comparisons...

AP and Power Weapons are not a good thing when compared with Fantasy stacking saves and armour modifiers...

For example, Space Marines firing on my Skaven Stormvermin...if the SV have shields, they get a 4+ save against boltguns (5+ Heavy armour, +1 for shields). Now assuming there's 30-40 in each unit...

Now firing back, a pistol is Str 4 and reduces Marine armour to 5+ (-1 from Str 4 and -1 from Armour Piercing). a warp musket is Str 5, reducing the save to 6+. Warplock jezzails are Str 6 and Marines get no save.

Now in hand to hand, Stormvermin have higher Initiative, the same WS, if using halberds reduce Marine armour to 4+ and have a 5+ save. if they use Hand weapon/shield combo, they are Str 3 but have a SM save of 3+ (5+, +1 for shield, +1 for Parry bonus).

Characters are pretty hard too, a basic Skaven Warlord with Fellblade is Str 10, WS 6, A 4, rerolls Ward (Invulnerable) saves and each wound becomes D6 wounds.

MidgetD
27-11-2010, 02:02
Yes, but it's difficult to compare, given that a standard bolter fires a .75 Caliber round, to boot with explosive charge imbeded within, and a heavy bolter fires 1.00 caliber rounds(IIRC) again with explosive punch. This would mean that the strength value would jump, because i honestly fail to belive that anything (short of demon weaponry) in a fantasy arsenal is higher caliber than a bolter, or of higher power, let alone a heavy bolter. Watch as fire seeps into the cracks of your armor from our promethium belching flamers! Put in eldar, and their reality ripping D-Cannons,and jetbikes and Fantasy will have a Migrane!

BLOOD FOR BOTH TIME PERIODS BLOOD GODS!!!!!!!!!!

Tarian
27-11-2010, 16:42
If we're talking fluff-wise, 40k > Fantasy for obvious reasons. Tabletop, comparing Army Books to Codeci, it's not as "one-sided" as people like to make it. And the most common guns are AP 5 or 6, maybe as low as 4. Basic Armor in Fantasy is a 5+ for the most part, with heavy armor going down to a 3+ and knights getting as low as 1+. Blood Knights would be a pain for 40k armies, 2+/4++ (Of which we get both) against shooting, and S7 (so -4 AS) on the charge. That, and they can "march" 14", which is a tad faster than most armies.

dragonet111
27-11-2010, 17:29
A WFB crossbow is Str4 and reduce the save of 1 I'm pretty sure a Str 4 bolter is WAY stronger than a classic crossbow. A longbow (I know how powerful those weapons are) is Str 3 no save modification but I'm sure a humble lasgun is more powerful.

You can't take a 40k weapon and apply it to WFB without adapting the rules the game mechanics for the two games are too different. IMO a bolter in the WFB world is a Str 6 weapon with multiple shot (Like dark elfs crossbow), ......

It is the same for armour save. a 2+ terminator armour is infinitely better than a 1+ inner circle knight and only magic armour can compete.

In a situation between non-wielding magic item stuff and normal 40k stuff (like chaos marauders Vs guardmen) I bet on the 40k stuff

Magic now is a totally different story. I'm not sure if a psychic hood is useful against magic.

Ka Faraq Gatri
27-11-2010, 18:33
If you're talking about playing a proper 40K vs Fantasy game, roll the 40K stats back to 2nd edition, when all weapons - including melee - had individual profiles complete with save modifiers. Could be fun to try out.

massey
27-11-2010, 18:46
Of course one side will dominate if you slant the rules in their favor. Remember that units in 40K and Fantasy are given points values based upon how they work in their own rules systems. A 2+ save in 40K means a lot more than a 2+ save in Fantasy.

Personally, to make it work, I don't think 40K armor should suffer from armor modifiers, while I think Fantasy armor should. So yes, your krak missile is going to impose a seriously hefty save penalty on those 1+ save knights, while a Terminator still gets its regular save. But since you're using some combination of two different game systems, it's all gonna come down to how you balance it.

Of course, an Ironclad Dreadnought coming out of a drop pod is gonna be a bitch and a half for just about any Fantasy unit to deal with.

Aiwass
27-11-2010, 18:48
Footslogging IG, FRFSRF!, or tons of artillery btw... Banewolfs, Valkyries even the LRMBT. IG can ruin the day almost to everyone :p

MidgetD
27-11-2010, 19:17
If we're talking fluff-wise, 40k > Fantasy for obvious reasons. Tabletop, comparing Army Books to Codeci, it's not as "one-sided" as people like to make it. And the most common guns are AP 5 or 6, maybe as low as 4. Basic Armor in Fantasy is a 5+ for the most part, with heavy armor going down to a 3+ and knights getting as low as 1+. Blood Knights would be a pain for 40k armies, 2+/4++ (Of which we get both) against shooting, and S7 (so -4 AS) on the charge. That, and they can "march" 14", which is a tad faster than most armies.

I was trying to say that due to this, weapons will have to be adjusted. As would points costs and such. And that the rules would have to become one conglamorate sloppy mess, but that's not to say it couldn't be done...Bolters would need a significant boost, without space-marines becoming "Movie-Marines".

To the above, your kind ALWAYS ruins my day...

dragonet111
27-11-2010, 19:59
If you're talking about playing a proper 40K vs Fantasy game, roll the 40K stats back to 2nd edition, when all weapons - including melee - had individual profiles complete with save modifiers. Could be fun to try out.

Well depend on who's getting the terminator armour :D
A 3+ save with 2 dice for the save (add the results) makes terminators almost canonball proof:D

Here how I see an invasion of the planet Warhammer by the IG
First step.
Orbital scan and infiltration of scout units. After witnessing blatant heresy for the human population and a heavy presence of xenos (ork, eldar-like lifeform, .....) an all out attack is decided.

Second Step.
Orbital bombardment followed by an air assault (elysian style). In the first hours of the conflict the IG destroyed easily every target. Every thing seems fine total conquest of the planet ETA 10 days.

Third step.
After the shock of the initial attack the Warhammer folks hardened by centuries of war regroup and counter attack. The "normal" counter attack are useless but the presence on the battlefield of monsters (dragons, shaagoth, ....) and especially sorcerers surprised the IG. Magic laid waste of the Battlefield, IG can do nothing to stop it and full tank divisions are destroyed by metal sorcerer.

Fourth step.
Casualties stack on each side and the Slaans finally decided that is it agaisnt the Old Ones plan they fusion their minds and using the power network of the Pyramid shot a magic laser to the Imperial spaceship. The shield protect the ship but it suffer heavy damage. The ship scanner detected a second burst of energy, the astropath send a distress signal second before the ship destruction.

Fifth step.
The remaining surface troops, without the support of their ship are destroyed.

Sixth step.
After receiving the distress call a "rescue" fleet is launched. Because of the certified presence of a huge number of sorcerers the Ordo Hereticus and The Sisters of the Golden Tears join the fleet. In response of ancient honour debt The Silver Dragons space marines respond to the call of Inquisitor Barbara Seth.

Seventh step
The "rescue" fleet is on orbit of the warhammer planet. Massive orbital bombardment followed by a all out assault. The planet fall within a few days

In the end, 40k will win only because of sheer number. I'm sure that there is more Eldars in the galaxy than inhabitants on the Warhammer planet:D.

SimonL
02-12-2010, 15:56
The OP wasn't asking about the fluff-wise outcome of 40k invading fantasy...he was asking about playing the tabletop game...in which case Fantasy has a number of pros compared to 40k.

Of course a bolter should be more powerful than a crossbow or blackpowder pistol...BUT in a purely stats sense, they aren't.

I sorta want to try this now...

bluemage
02-12-2010, 16:12
My local GW has a large fantasy vs 40k game every year. Fantasy had a lot of benefits that are easy to over look. Such as static combat res. Greater demons would get stuck in combat with things like clanrats, lose combat and get run down. Also a large number of landraiders filled with terminators were gatewayed off the table. I think fantasy won the last battle they had. But 40k won all the previous years. I've never gone as being stuck in a GW store with 100+ people is just a bad idea for so many reasons.

Gorbad Ironclaw
02-12-2010, 19:42
Not sure about actual in game stats, but I am pretty sure that in a 'real' situation unless a world was very heavily garrisoned then a feudal army of enough numbers would still win out in the end. Afterall, could a single tactical squad of marines (Even of Ultramarines.) hold a hill top against an army of every man in both the Empire and Bretonia, not to mention every other race? Maybe as long as they had ammo for the bolters or whatever else, but weight of numbers would surely win out in the end.

Not at all, but then Marines would be completely incapable of almost anything attributed to them if you think about it.

massey
02-12-2010, 20:39
My local GW has a large fantasy vs 40k game every year. Fantasy had a lot of benefits that are easy to over look. Such as static combat res. Greater demons would get stuck in combat with things like clanrats, lose combat and get run down. Also a large number of landraiders filled with terminators were gatewayed off the table. I think fantasy won the last battle they had. But 40k won all the previous years. I've never gone as being stuck in a GW store with 100+ people is just a bad idea for so many reasons.

But whose combat rules do you use? 40K units aren't affected by static combat res. "Sorry, I only compare wounds inflicted." You've got to find some common middle ground.

bluemage
02-12-2010, 20:50
Each side was allowed to use their special rules for determining how well they did in combat, how wounds and armor work. I'll be honest that they ended up being quite biased towards fantasy, because they felt doing otherwise would make it a cake walk for 40k.

SimonL
03-12-2010, 18:39
As a poster above noted, the best way to make it "fair" would be to use earlier editions, like 2nd ed 40k where there were more complex weapons rules and "hero" stats.

genestealer_baldric
03-12-2010, 19:30
seeing as demons are manifestations of the god and the gods get the power from the humans, and there bucket loads more humans in 40k it means the gods will be bucketloads more powerfull i dont know the correct term for measuring a gods power.

Lord Asgul
03-12-2010, 20:59
The way I look at it, the stat lines for everything Fantasy related would have to be downgraded to fit with the actual fluff before any game could be played because let's face it; a black powder pistol will not do anything to a Marine's armour, probably not even a Guardsmen's Flak Armour and wooden shields couldn't stop a bolter round or a laser let alone flamethrowers, plasma guns, lascannons. The Steam Tank? That'll probably have AV10 maybe AV11. Not too sure about cannons however, they won't be that powerful compared to earthshaker rounds and demolisher rounds. Also then individual character rules come into effect e.g eternal warrior. The best armour save anything in fantasy would get is 4+ (one of the imperial guard codecies states that feral platemail armour could count as carapace). The only thing that would keep them alive longer is invulnerable saves.

genestealer_baldric
03-12-2010, 21:16
fantasy doesnt have exterminatus = end of arugment :p

Lord Asgul
03-12-2010, 21:19
fantasy doesn't have the Planet Killer...or the Talismans of Vaul...or the C'tan and their undying legions of Necrons...or the Tyranids...

Drasanil
03-12-2010, 21:25
fantasy doesn't have the Planet Killer...or the Talismans of Vaul...or the C'tan and their undying legions of Necrons...or the Tyranids...

No we just have basic wizards that can throw meteorites around with little effort... your fleet doesn't mean much, and that's before you get into stuff like Teclis, Slann and Nagash.

havoc3149
03-12-2010, 21:31
Meteors are nothing compared to km city sized leviathans of planet killing goodness (hell our spaceships right now deal with mini-meteors on a daily basis, and they're fine) And our gods actually impact entire universes instead of a single planet.

Drasanil
03-12-2010, 21:36
Meteors are nothing compared to km city sized leviathans of planet killing goodness (hell our spaceships right now deal with mini-meteors on a daily basis, and they're fine) And our gods actually impact entire universes instead of a single planet.

You mean the same gods who's galatic power can't even conquer a single planet with two open warp-breachs? Hmph, and people think Space Marines are 'ard core.

Iracundus
03-12-2010, 21:41
You mean the same gods who's galatic power can't even conquer a single planet with two open warp-breachs? Hmph, and people think Space Marines are 'ard core.

In Realms of Chaos it describes how in their squabbles over daemon worlds and such, the Chaos gods often gamble and set rules, some seemingly arbitrary and strange, upon the conflict.

It could very well be the rule in place for WHFB is that no non-native mortal forces can be used, so only daemons and native corrupted mortals as Chaos forces.

Lord Asgul
03-12-2010, 21:54
The Planet Killer can just appear in the system on the opposite side of their sun, shoot until the sun goes supernova and go back to the warp, I really doubt that wizards could stop an entire sun from exploding.

Also there are two forces in W40k that nothing in WFB could stop. Necrons (knock them down, they get back up again...and again...and again) and Tyranids (there are so many of them they make Skaven look like an elite troop force)

insectum7
03-12-2010, 23:04
Don't need the Planet Killer, don't need C'tan gods eating stars, don't need Exterminatus...

The unwritten GW rule is that Space Marines win. Marneus Calgar would just show up and it would all be over, regardless of any other rules that anyone has.

SlayerMonka
03-12-2010, 23:16
If you go back to second ed 40k there were rules for black powder weapon, shields, swords, etc etc.

So if you want to do a game of 40k vs fanasty you would the 2ed rule book for 40k, dark future (the pysker power expansion), and the I think it was about 5 or 6th fantasty rules (1994). After that point in time, the two games grow to disimilar from each other.
You would need to work how combat would work. If I remember correctly magic and pysker both used a card system for casting powers/spells, so they should match fairly easily.

Combat would be the most trickest thing to work out.