PDA

View Full Version : The Thing Prequel!

Raellos
20-11-2010, 16:16
Has anyone heard about this? I did a search, but I couldn't come up with a thread (though the search function can be hit and miss at times).

I haven't come up with much on the film, but while looking for an actual teaser trailer I came up with this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgWiss9XX_g&feature=related), which is actually just a slideshow of stills, but has some promising information in the description.

Mary Elizabeth Winstead says that much of the film could be subtitled, as scenes were often performed mostly in Norwegian. English-language takes were shot at the end of each pass, for safety, so we don't know how much of the film will require subs.

Is nice, which I guess means I'll be able to watch the Swedish team ;) speak proper Norwegian on the DVD release at least. Or even in the theatre if there's a subbed version that gets released here. That being said, Mary Elizabeth Winstead above and Joel Edgerton playing Chopper Dave kind of shatters that.

firestorm40k
20-11-2010, 21:23
Well, the latest news is that Universal have pulled the film from its original planned release date in April of next year, in favour of the next Fast & Furious sequel :eyebrows: with apparently no stated date of release :rolleyes:

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?nid=29480

Other than that, I suggest you look at aintitcool.com, which had a series of on-set interviews with the cast and crew, including the team doing the creature fx. The approach they're taking, which has rightly been the subject of 'Thing' fans' biggest scrutiny, is to what extent these will be practical. Apparently, they're going for 75-80% practical, with CGI enhancements. The CGI is being handled by the effects house that did Distrcit 9 - and that looked pretty good, almost photo-real in places.

Honestly, the film will live or fail by the effects - if the CGI spoils the practical monster effects, it will honestly render it not worth watching.

Oh, though it's not great, there's a bootleg of the trailer which has been shown at movei conventions and festivals at various places in the last month or so. THough it is a shoddy, camera-phone recorded bootleg, you can get a feel for the vibe of the film. I hope they release the trailer officially so we can see it in HD soon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KejPX-qnuzs

*EDIT* This one's better: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXUS3C697lw&NR=1

Phyros
21-11-2010, 04:04
Everybody had better die at the end.

firestorm40k
21-11-2010, 08:59
Everybody had better die at the end.
Apart from two Norwegians, one a helicopter pilot, the other with a gun ;)

Marsekay
21-11-2010, 11:13
Looks awesome.

did they go with the "kurt russels characters brother at the norwegian base" thing?

i hope not.

firestorm40k
21-11-2010, 12:01
did they go with the "kurt russels characters brother at the norwegian base" thing?

i hope not.
No apparently not - thankfully... Their justification for having Jeol Edgerton's Helicopter Pilot character, and Mary Elizabeth Winstead's Paleontologist's character, who obviously aren't Norwegian ;) on the base, is that she has been called to the base after the discovery of the the body in the ice, and he is the pilot that flies her there.

I have mixed feelings about that, I think it's a reasonable way of justifying there being non-Norwegians in the prequel; on the other, when Mac & the Doc find the Norwegian base in the original, there is nothing to suggest that there was anyone other than Norwegians there...

Jonathan =I=
21-11-2010, 13:34
The Thing along with Dark City and Aliens rank as my three favorite films of all time.
I'm just completely happy that its not going to be a remake, and there dialing back the CGI for traditional effects.

Marsekay
21-11-2010, 15:38
when Mac & the Doc find the Norwegian base in the original, there is nothing to suggest that there was anyone other than Norwegians there...

we dont know that these two characters dont end up somewhere else at the end of the film....

on another note, how do you know what nationality a dead body is? if he doesnt have ID..

Freak Ona Leash
21-11-2010, 20:55
on another note, how do you know what nationality a dead body is? if he doesnt have ID..

Blond hair + smells like metalhead= Scandinavian of any description.

True story.

TimLeeson
24-11-2010, 01:49
I'm a huge fan of the original and I dont think I am not sure I will bother with this new version.

My reasons are that 1) we know what the thing is capable of so what new shocks/horrors are they going to show to make up for it ? 2) The unanswered questions are best left to the imagination than anything hollywood could come up with and 3) how is it going to be any different to the original ? I think they should of used the budget and done something different and new in the same style instead. Perhaps an adaptation of a Lovecraft story.

If they can do an innovative story that matches or surpasses the previous one with new shocks and horrors to take me by surprise and leaves enough of the questions from the original to the imagination I may give it a go though.

AndrewGPaul
24-11-2010, 09:14
Yes, clearly this is what we need.

I mean, what about the original film needs explaining? It's a self-contained story.

TimLeeson
24-11-2010, 13:24
Yes, clearly this is what we need.

I mean, what about the original film needs explaining? It's a self-contained story.

nothing IMO. the origin of the spacecraft and if it is made by the thing or not, and what happened to the norwegians are things I felt added horror - I really dont wish to know any of that, iv had lot's of fun discussing the potential origins and explanations with friends.

For example, things we saw at the norwegian site in the original will be explained in the new film - something I dont want to see. I think horror is also best as a self-contained story and things that are hinted at are in some ways more nightmarish to that which IS seen.

I think they should of used the money and done an adaptation of HP Lovecraft's "The Shunned House" instead. Different story but very similar visual style ect...

firestorm40k
25-11-2010, 18:10
Well, I don't know how official this is, but it seems Universal have chosen a release date for this 'Thing' prequel: October 14th, 2011 (http://twitter.com/UniversalPics/status/7161312803028992).

At least they're putting it back in the schedule, and not somply dropping it altogether.

Plus, it's more time for the FX team to get those creature effects absolutely right... ;) :D

Kiro
29-11-2010, 19:35
Very, very pleasantly surprised. So glad they nixed the whole 'Mac's brother' storyline. I'm looking forward to this, and not the least bit worried, considering I would rate The Thing as one of my all time favourite films :)

Tymell
01-12-2010, 16:00
Have to admit I'm dubious. The Thing is among my favourite films of all time, with it's great premise, ace writing and very effective direction style.

A prequel -could- be good, but it'd have to tick several boxes IMO. Firstly, effects: Flashy CGI would ruin it, The Thing needs gritty realism for it's horror. It also needs to steer clear of stereotypical horror dialogue/layout or risk feeling forced and pointless. And they need to keep The Thing itself interesting. Carpenter's Thing was great because you kept waiting to see what would come next, and never really knew who might be human. The danger here would be predictability leading to boredom.

Stories where we know the outcome in advance -can- be great, but they have to approached differently. See Greek tragedies: when put on the audience would know exactly what was coming, and the composer would play on this, use their own knowledge to add to the tension. I feel a prequel like this could be very effective in the same way.

Play with the fact that most of the audience knows what's in that block of ice, use that immediate sense of foreboding to make it all the more tense. Tease, toy, manipulate. Give hints that make us think we can see how the end comes about, then throw us off with another route entirely.