PDA

View Full Version : Are DE jetbike riders compatible with Eldar jetbikes?

Herne the hunter
20-11-2010, 18:34
I want a squad of jetbikes for my new Eldar army but, whilst I love the bikes, I think the riders look absolutely terrible. I want to use DE rider bodies (new or old) Because they look way more dynamic but before I shell out the cash I need to know if they'd fit without too much chopping.

Can anyone help?

Grimtuff
20-11-2010, 18:40
Well for starters they sit in different positions. It is doable, but a fair bit of chopping is required, mainly to get the Guardian pilot to look up.

EDIT: Oh you want the Reaver torsos on Guardian jetbikes. Just use the plastic guardians, they'll look more consistent and miles better.

UberBeast
20-11-2010, 18:46
Yeah, If you just want the bodies, then go with the plastic eldar bodies. It would be a lot cheaper conversion for you as well because you'll have extra figures you can use and won't be stuck with the DE jetbikes and pieces.

DYoung
20-11-2010, 21:50
I'd suggest actually using the Dark Eldar jetbike and just swapping the canopy, weapon, wings and maybe the rider's head for the Craftworld ones.

xxRavenxx
21-11-2010, 01:40
They are planning to release new eldar bikes, which were designed alongside the DE ones, sometime in the near future. There are photos somewhere on the GW website.

I'd suggest just holding out :)

Spell_of_Destruction
21-11-2010, 01:55
Although the designs are very similar I think that the DE jetbikes look too sinister to be converted to CE jetbikes.

Converting the current jetbikes by adding the upper bodies of the current plastic guardians is easy enough but you are still left with the laid back, seated pose.

As the previous poster pointed out, the models are due an update but it depends if you don't mind holding out for an indeterminate period of time.

Chris_
21-11-2010, 04:36
I think they could make quite good conversions, just cut of all the stuff they painted as blades on the jetbike and add some eldar stuff for the rider, paint in brighter colors and you are done!

chromedog
21-11-2010, 08:40
The 'concept' design leaked a number of years ago is still fundamentally the same one under the DE blades and spikes (swap the fairing, remove the blades and spikes and swap the weapons and it's the same one. ALL of these are SURFACE changes.)

Herne the hunter
21-11-2010, 13:33
Using guardian bodies is a no-no. The helmets maybe, but I want the forward-poised racing position of the Reaver riders. Way better at giving the impression of speed than the stiff, upright Craftworld riders. That looks better suited to say... orks, who look like they should be riding Harleys.

Also I'd rather avoid giving the Reaver chasis craftworld fairings. That would mean buying both boxed sets whereas just using the riders means I can simply wait for some to show up at my usual bits store.

Where's this new jetbike picture and how sure are you guys that it's actually gonna happen? It's not this one is it, because this has been doing the rounds since at least 2008:

SeaSwift
21-11-2010, 13:48
There are photos somewhere on the GW website.

Wait - what?

:eek:

Not the pic from the poster above me, but actual displayed pics?

SgtTaters
21-11-2010, 18:21
Using guardian bodies is a no-no. The helmets maybe, but I want the forward-poised racing position of the Reaver riders. Way better at giving the impression of speed than the stiff, upright Craftworld riders.
They are slower and more heavily armored and armed than reaver bikes though. If Shining Spears share the same bike though, I do wonder how they'd hold a laser lance when leaning forward.

Where's this new jetbike picture and how sure are you guys that it's actually gonna happen? It's not this one is it, because this has been doing the rounds since at least 2008:

yeah, I doubt Jes Goodwin is happy with that sculpt. As is right now the Reaver is just waaay cooler.

Hendarion
21-11-2010, 18:52
If Shining Spears share the same bike though, I do wonder how they'd hold a laser lance when leaning forward.
Not really a problem I'd say.

If Shining Spears share the same bike though, I do yeah, I doubt Jes Goodwin is happy with that sculpt. As is right now the Reaver is just waaay cooler.[/QUOTE]
You think he isn't happy, but still uses the very same chassis for the reaver?
The Reaver might be nice, but I'd take this CWE-jetbike with a hand-kiss.

SgtTaters
21-11-2010, 19:06
You think he isn't happy, but still uses the very same chassis for the reaver

The Reaver has a much cooler looking rider, canopy, wings, everything really. The Reaver is a successful use of the chassis, it only compounds how frumpy the concept jetbike looks.

It's mostly that canopy on the concept jetbike, it just doesn't look very cool, or have much a feeling of speed or armor, it just looks lumpy. The current CWEjetbikes have a cooler canopy.

While the reaver has a cool backfin that adds to its striking silhouette, that concept jetbike just has two little fins that look great on guardian backpacks, but out of place on the bulk of a jetbike.

Hendarion
21-11-2010, 19:12
Tastes differ. And my main point is that you should not make a guess about Jes Goodwin being happy or not about that CWE jetbike, since the DE-version uses the same chassis.
Of course both are still different, but they should be after all. I don't see how you can equal "I love the spikey one more" to "I doubt Jes Goodwin is happy with that (CWE) sculpt".

Herne the hunter
21-11-2010, 20:38
Much as I love the Reaver, it looks too spiky to fit in with regular Eldar. That large "lumpy" canopy is exactly what draws me to them. I'm stealing my vehicle colour scheme from the Halo games, and the Craftworld jetbike is the perfect counterpart for the Covenant Ghost:

DYoung
21-11-2010, 22:52
Jes Goodwin's designer's notes on the GW blog seemed to imply that the chassis for the CE jetbike will be the same as that for the DE one. I'm assuming it'll just have different weapons, fins and rider. The Reaver pilots don't look all that DE-like anyway. Their torso looks a lot like a Guardian torso but less bulky.

SgtTaters
21-11-2010, 23:27
Much as I love the Reaver, it looks too spiky to fit in with regular Eldar. That large "lumpy" canopy is exactly what draws me to them.

"I love the spikey one more" to "I doubt Jes Goodwin is happy with that (CWE) sculpt".

I mistyped on my previous post, I didn't mean that Reaver Jetbikes are better than CWE Jetbikes, but the concept for a new CWE Jetbike looks worse than the reaver and current jetbike. Tastes differ, yes, so I will do my best to explain why I feel this way.

to explain: First the canopy of the jetbikes. Comparing the two, the current jetbike has a gently curved canopy and only one segment in the middle, a single gem adorns the side. The curve of the canopy recalls the curve of Eldar helmets, the curve of Falcon hulls, the curve of a wraithlord's head The bottom of the canopy also curves inward and flares out slightly, leaving a slight 'hook' that echos the hook of its back fins.

The Concept jetbike lacks this. It's fairly flat with three bumps for the center and hand guards. The 'bottom' edge of the hull also remains straight and does not continue into the Concept jetbike's back fins. It doesn't mesh as well with the rest of the Jetbike's shape or Eldar armor aesthetics.

The rider also stands out awkwardly, the helmet looks huge compared to the rest of his body. Guardian's big heads are balanced by their large backpacks with fins, the Concept rider lacks such a back so all we got is a giant head (and a strange emphasis on his protruding butt). The helmet also points straight up, breaking a feeling of speed by creating a 90degree angle, the vertical helmet clashes with the horizontal "racer" orientation of the body. (the straight/flatness of the jetbike hull is also further emphasized next to the curves of the guardian helmet). Notice that the Reaver rider avoids this point with a helmet that's smooth over the top and flares in the back.
A tall helmet works for current CWE jetbikes because they lean back on their seats easyrider mode, the rider still fits in the contours of his jetbike. They ride like High Elves on steeds (some even wield lances). Changing the position to "racer" means you need to change the helmet to match the new position for the rider (The Reaver Jetbike does this EXCELLENTLY)

The Concept Jetbike Rider either needs a new, sleeker helmet (like the reaver's which are AWESOME looking), or a larger back section to fill out. The current Jetbike is a great model and it has a great looking canopy, change the rider to a guardian and they look fantastic on the 5e battlefield.

*I like talking about the aesthetics behind designs and why I like things and 40k is a great example of the excellent execution of many different tastes.

xxRavenxx
22-11-2010, 01:17
Wait - what?

Not the pic from the poster above me, but actual displayed pics?

I just went to go and try and find the article. (one of the dark eldar "sneak peak" articles in "whats new today"). I have no idea how to dig it out now unfortunately.

Maybe someone can do better and get the image found and posted.

I cant remember if its of an actual model or of one of those screenshots from a cad tool.

The article, from vague memory, is discussing how they tried to make DE look similar in places to eldar, while also being unique.

The image is accompanied by commentry that they co-designed a new eldar bike, along with the DE one, to make them look right as a pair. It has a little comment with it saying "coming soon" or somesuch.

Given they've designed it and possibly even made a model for the studio, I imagine its coming soon. (Within a year is my guess, but that is entirely speculation.)

DYoung
22-11-2010, 01:24
I just went to go and try and find the article. (one of the dark eldar "sneak peak" articles in "whats new today"). I have no idea how to dig it out now unfortunately.

Maybe someone can do better and get the image found and posted.

I cant remember if its of an actual model or of one of those screenshots from a cad tool.

The article, from vague memory, is discussing how they tried to make DE look similar in places to eldar, while also being unique.

The image is accompanied by commentry that they co-designed a new eldar bike, along with the DE one, to make them look right as a pair. It has a little comment with it saying "coming soon" or somesuch.

Given they've designed it and possibly even made a model for the studio, I imagine its coming soon. (Within a year is my guess, but that is entirely speculation.)

Tis here: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=13200008a

ForgottenLore
25-11-2010, 00:14
I know you said you would rather avoid buying both and then kit bashing your bikes, but here is a test I did of mixing the two. It works rather better than I thought, the only real problem is the TL Shuriken catapults on the bottom. Other than that the canopy fits without too much trouble and the guardian head fits right in there (which surprised me). I didn't cut off the blades and put on the CW flaring, but it is just the right size and would fit no problem.

Not a great picture, but you should get the idea.