PDA

View Full Version : Where to place skaven weapon teams?

Fritzallmighty
21-11-2010, 15:03
So, where do I place them in relation to their parent unit? Seems easy enough with plague wind mortars, they can fire from behind the clanrats and still benefit from Look out sir! and hard cover. But what about ratling guns or warpfire throwers? I imagine they would get shot to death quite quickly next to a regiment if they only have a LOS save.

Any suggestions?

King_Pash
21-11-2010, 15:17
Do they even get a LoS roll? I thought it was just a ward save from their parent unit as the weapon team is a separate unit type, no?

Fritzallmighty
21-11-2010, 16:03
my apologies, it is indeed a 4+ ward. Still it seems that could be easily failed with enough incoming shots.

King_Pash
21-11-2010, 16:15
my apologies, it is indeed a 4+ ward. Still it seems that could be easily failed with enough incoming shots.

Don't they usually have some Heavy Armour as well? Means that it'll take a lot of arrows (less if it's gunpowder) to take one down. At least they're not shooting at other stuff :/

Djekar
21-11-2010, 16:18
It is easily failable with enough incoming shots. I recently watched a video battle report from the blue table gaming group where a wood elf player took several units of glade guard in 12s. His first turn he shot down roughly 2/3 of the skaven's weapon teams with single volleys from units. 4s to hit, 4s to wound and 4 up save isn't very promising. I'd say that it's worth it because it protects the rest of your units, but there really isn't much else for small arms fire to focus on in the skaven list since the blocks are generally huge and resilient to a smattering of casualties.

All that being said, my regular skaven opponent still runs them to the side of his blocks, not flush with his line units and tries to keep them out of LoS with deployment or angling of blocks for as long as possible.

russellmoo
21-11-2010, 20:51
The ease with which weapons teams can be shot is what makes the poison wind mortar so good- since it can use Line of sight from the parent unit you can leave them in the back where they can't be shot at-

I think the real key to placement depends upon your opponent- if they have a good amount of shooting place the teams behind your units- if they have very little shooting then place them next to the unit for optimal firing-