PDA

View Full Version : Anyone care about using psykers?

Hashulaman
21-11-2010, 16:53
Exactly what it says on the tin, do you care about using psykers/use them at all? (if you army permits them) I personally love the idea of being able to kill/screw with the enemy using your brain.

Hendarion
21-11-2010, 16:57
Yes, I do.

dragonet111
21-11-2010, 17:00
I play a librarian

JonnyX
21-11-2010, 17:17
im pretty sure most people use them, eldar are much stronger having 1/2 with them, librarians and runepriests also spring to mind as game changing psykers.

Baneboss
21-11-2010, 17:25
I wish they made psykers more important across the board. Right now there are only several armies that have them and even less that uses them.

Adamski Alders
21-11-2010, 17:27
Yeah I do, I always have a librarian in my Ultramarines army, sometimes 2 depending on how i feel.

J-rock
21-11-2010, 17:28
Why wouldn't you? Psykers have always been a fundamental part of 40k.

I wouldn't say that you're doing it with your brain, though. You're using energy from the warp, and technology and talent helps you to do that. You're not using your brain any more when using psychic powers than you are when you design and then use a gun.

kane40k
21-11-2010, 17:46
im pretty sure most people use them, eldar are much having 1/2 with them, librarians and runepriests also spring to mind as game changing psykers.

Your forgot the good ol' Lash Sorcerer/Prince for Chaos Space Marines :)

they stink of cheese But you gotta love those cute spikes :)
oh and running them with Gift of chaos aswell is cool against hoards so much low toughness low armoured Stuff to curse :)

However we arnt here for tactics are we... so in answer to your question Yes :) Psykers are pretty cool :) i love using them and therefore care alot :)

Toldavf
21-11-2010, 17:49
Yeah Psykers are individuals who can draw upon, channel, shape and focus warp energy. As for using them? There are about 5 or 6 armies that benefit from psykers. Nids find them essential to victory and Eldar find them invaluable.

Zaonite
21-11-2010, 17:54
As an Eldar player I find it hard not to go without a psyker. They bring so much to the table.

Even my marines have a Librarian half the time.

scopedog91
21-11-2010, 17:59
I play a psyker reluctantly at times.
Only for the 'hood, or for those times when Mr. Mephiston must run amok...
Generally however, I would like to avoid them.

marv335
21-11-2010, 19:18
I mainly run one army, Orks.
So no, I don't use Psykers. Compared to the other Hq choices, the Wierdboy is a poor choice (in my opinion)
The army I'm working on at the moment is DE (more of a painting/modelling project than gaming) doesn't have any.

Korraz
21-11-2010, 19:28
Since my Librarian destroyed 6 vehicles in one turn with blood lance I never leave the house without him.

LonelyPath
21-11-2010, 19:32
I run psykers with a couple of my armies, most often with my Nids.

Garanaul the Black
21-11-2010, 19:49
I'm a big fan of my Warp Time Nurgle Demon Prince, he almost always makes his points back, usually more, and is a huge distraction.

G

TheWarmaster
21-11-2010, 19:54
I was quite dissapointed to hear that dark eldar don't have psykers, so I can't field one. I would however if I could.

Nezalhualixtlan
21-11-2010, 20:03
I play Tyranids, so I never have a list without at least one.

Mini77
21-11-2010, 20:20
I play against Daemons quite a bit, so a librarian is a no-brainer for me. Can't do without him.

boogle
21-11-2010, 20:56
My EDT's can't take them, so i have to rely on good old fashioned guns guns and more guns

cuda1179
21-11-2010, 21:56
For my armies:

Tyranids, hard to make a list without at least one. Tyrants and Zoanthropes are pretty decent.

Tau, None

Dark Eldar, None

Imperial Guard, None

Necron: Never

Inquisition, a few primarily because I like grey knights squads. Also, I has an inquisitor for the mystics. He is still technichally a psycher even if I take no psychic powers.

Chaos, Sometimes I give a deamon prince a power or I use Ariman just for giggles

Space marines: rarely

Space Wolves, Never. I really don't like runepriests.

Orks, Never, Weirdboys don't appeal to me.

Eldar, I use a shadowseer for Harlequins, and a Warlock for a Wraithguard squad and that is it.

totgeboren
21-11-2010, 22:21
My IG Primaris psycher (Chaos Magos)sees a lot of play, and most of the time do very good.
My Chaos Sorcerer sometimes grace the table. Not very often at all though, since he is very costly for what you get, and I don't want to use lash.
My orks haven't got a wierdboy. Both the Warboss and the Big Mek are really good choices for the points, and the wierdboy just can't compete.

carldooley
21-11-2010, 23:02
Tyranids - tyrants, so yes
SM - yes
SW - yes
IG - love taking Callidus, so yes (PBS)
BA - love Unleash Rage(which is about all I'll use), will take Librarian Dreadnoughts a lot more often if I can switch to Blood Talons.
CSM - love Lash Princes

impala
22-11-2010, 01:01
My Eldar tote a Farseer once I play higher-points games, and my Space Marines switch between Commander and Librarian. My upcoming =][= Witch Hunters force will feaure psychic powers on my Inquisitor Lord, but not on the junior Inquistor.

Half Breed
22-11-2010, 02:06
I never field either of my Marine lists without a Librarian.

freddieyu
22-11-2010, 02:13
I'm going to try out the pysker battle squad competitively this coming weekend. For fun games however I do not use them often.

ramongoroth
22-11-2010, 02:36
For my nids they are pretty mandatory. Although I don't take zolanthropes often as psyker defense really messes with them.

Eldar it depends on what list I'm running. Most of the time I have a farseer unless I'm doing reserve denial.

Guard not yet. Although a friend of mine is turning me on to Psyker battle squads.

chromedog
22-11-2010, 02:50
I play eldar.

NOT using psykers is against pattern.
Warlocks are pretty much mandatory to get any kind of combat effectiveness from guardians.
Farseers make even marine players dread facing scatterlasers.

My Daemonhunters Inquisitor doesn't take powers though (null rod kinda disallows that stuff) - but his GK buddies are ALL psykers.

daemonicemission
22-11-2010, 05:02
Psykers is tasty

Born Again
22-11-2010, 08:08
If they're an option, then I try and take them. Psykers are just cool. Unfortunately I seem to often be drawn to armies without psykers, I have Tau and am about to start some DE. But I use a Weirdboy in my Ork army, and have a Sorceror and Huron (if he counts) in my CSM's.

Isfimbur
22-11-2010, 08:23
As an Ork player i sometimes take wierdboy for a good larf. :3

Barbarossa
22-11-2010, 10:33
I kinda feel bad for my opponent whenever I use my Psyker Battle Squad. Those guys are just too good. I even converted them their own Chimera.

The WH Inquisitor with the Psyker-Killing power is also nice.

Overlord Krycis
22-11-2010, 10:43
Your forgot the good ol' Lash Sorcerer/Prince for Chaos Space Marines :)

they stink of cheese But you gotta love those cute spikes :)
oh and running them with Gift of chaos aswell is cool against hoards so much low toughness low armoured Stuff to curse :)

However we arnt here for tactics are we... so in answer to your question Yes :) Psykers are pretty cool :) i love using them and therefore care alot :)

I would pay good money for someone to execute your access to smilies... lol

I actually have recently tried using 3 Rune Priests and Njal in 1750pts for a laugh...until I played a Nidzilla army and had 4 chances for JotWW...

Never again.

I also play as Nids and Eldar, so many many Psykers in use there.

Serpent
22-11-2010, 10:45
For my Wolves, I use a Rune Priest, and my Night Lords Daemon Prince sometimes take Psychic Powers. My Guard hasn't recieved enough love lately to have a Psyker Battle Squad converted for them, and my Sisters...no. Although they will get very happy when they face psykers.

Chem-Dog
22-11-2010, 11:05
Yeah, a Primaris Psyker is fast becoming my default second HQ choice.
My Renegade guard take one and if taking two didn't make some of my more tasty orders unavailable I'd seriously consider taking two. My Steel Legion will bring a Primaris if they have the points.
The Nightshroud ability alone is reason enough to bring him along, plop him in a blob squad or a suitably chunky group of ogryn and see your opponant hurl stupid amounts of fire at them....any time they fail a Ld test you're laughing like a Hyena on N2O.
Lightning Ark is handy for when you're about to charge, it can blow holes in the enemy unit you're closing with and it's also prety handy for dealing with a cheeky side/rear armour shot at most tanks.

My Renegade list is also pretty much loves the Psyker battle squad, it can be a little flimsy, but pick an enemy and reduce his Ld by the number of psykers in the squad (max 9) can be a potent ability (especially when pared with the Primaris' Nightshroud) or any combat you've got a chance of winning. Soulstorm can be pretty goddamn fatal to virtually anything in the game, S=number of psykers in the squad, AP D6, big blast. This has the potential to Blast a majority of models in the game clear off the board, unreliable though.

Just a shame we don't get Psichic hoods.

Thanatos_elNyx
22-11-2010, 11:37
I play Thouand Sons; so yes I do.

But unfortunately they are also the worst Psykers in the game!
These guys (1kSons as opposed to CSM) need an update almost as much as my Necrons.

Deaf Leaper
22-11-2010, 12:16
Lightning Ark is handy for when you're about to charge, it can blow holes in the enemy unit you're closing with and it's also prety handy for dealing with a cheeky side/rear armour shot at most tanks.

Just a shame we don't get Psichic hoods.

Cheeky, he says. After getting fired at by a maximum shot barrage from that unit, I've had several other ways of describing them that were much less flattering. But for myself as a Tyranid player it's pretty much a given that we use psychic abilities, and I'm not the exception. Fortunately they're good enough that I've no reason to complain.

LonelyPath
22-11-2010, 13:52
As I was in a bit of a rush when I last posted in this thread I'll go into a little more detail this time.

Nids - When you use Doom it's hard not to take Broodlords for their Aura of Despair. It may not seem like much, but when you overlap 3 or 4 of them it soon adds up and the casualties start to pile up with Dooms aura. I also like to field Tyrants and Zoans.

Daemons - nuff said really, heh.

Chaos Space Marines - DP and Sorcerers are good fun, also I tend to avoid Lash if I can to mix it up.

Dark Angels - While DA Librarians are pretty terrible, I still like them and field them on occasion.

Daemonhunters - Grey Knights all over the place, they're all psykers! I also like a Inquisitor with Word of the Emperor just to mess with my opponents, heh.

Imperial Guard - I like the Primaris and the Psyker Squads, even more so when I am all to keen on allying a Culexus assassin (and inquisitor) to the list. Keep the Psykers and Culexus close and that assassin is a one-man army for shooting! (I took out 9 terminators in 1 shooting phase with him once, woot!).

Simo429
22-11-2010, 14:15
Always run one rune priest but I am thinking about using two for a tournament list.

mughi3
22-11-2010, 15:09
I've had great fun playing around with Njal storm caller, just having him on the table is effective at screwing with your enemy even when he doesn't use his other powers.

It has become quite meta-game to use them if for nothing else a hood to cancel out nasty powers used by other chaos or xeno armies.

additionally for myself my libby uses gate of infinity to move my tac squads around. making him quite indespensable in my list.

Chem-Dog
22-11-2010, 16:53
Cheeky, he says. After getting fired at by a maximum shot barrage from that unit, I've had several other ways of describing them that were much less flattering.

You were the victim of some preposterously good dice, a couple of sixes followed by a hail of 3+'s
I've had it bounce off of a Rhino.

ColShaw
22-11-2010, 17:45
I play historically-themed IG and Sisters of Battle. I don't PLAY psykers, I KILL psykers. :D

Cry of the Wind
22-11-2010, 18:00
I like Psykers for their in game effect and their background. Always struggling to hold back the daemons that seek to consume them while being able to unleash crazy powers into the material world. Very 40k and not simply wizards in space.

I play Inquisition and Marine themed lists so pretty much always have some kind of psyker in my forces as they are decent in game and fit my background.

Thoth62
22-11-2010, 18:00
I play Thouand Sons; so yes I do.

But unfortunately they are also the worst Psykers in the game!
These guys (1kSons as opposed to CSM) need an update almost as much as my Necrons.

So do I. Nothing bugs me more than the fact that we have some of the "best" psykers in the game, and we have no anti-psyker ability of any sort.

Typically I run a pair of DP's with wings, MoT and warptime. They are absolutely deadly.

Gorbad Ironclaw
22-11-2010, 21:02
I tried a Weirdboy for a few times with my Orks, but gave up on it as it just seemed like a bad idea. Similar I can't think of a good reason as to why my Dark Angels (assuming I'm using that Codex) would use a Liberian.

However mostly I would just like them to make psykers interesting again. They don't have to have there own mini-game like the did before 3rd edition but similar they have become drap and boring (and frequently completely ineffective) from 3rd and forward. You don't really notice them being as being psykers. Some of the things they can do might be due to psychic powers but a lot of it is pretty boring stuff.

shinankoku
22-11-2010, 21:35
I must be the only 40K player that takes Warpheads. "Why?" I'm glad you asked! At 1500 points I like to take 2 warpheads and stick them with 30 shoota boyz. The rerolls generally allow you to avoid 'eadbangaz and, and this is the trick now, let you teleport by at least one mob by at least turn 2 or 3. At first I did it as a gag, but I won that game, so I did it again. I started noticing that I was winning more than I was lossing - as a matter of fact, I've only ever lost once using this taktik! I've teleported in behind leman russes and popped them through the back armor, I've hossed down tyranid from the objective counter I just teleported on to, and I've outshot tau crisis suits, leaving myself a charge on the firewarriors in the following turn. It's weird, but it's worked for me! (Although I don't think it'd work in larger games.)

AlphariusOmegon20
22-11-2010, 22:04
It really depends on which army I've brought with me that day.

'Nids - Oh hell yes, I run psykers... 100%
DE - Nope, we don't have any. 0%
Salamanders - Sometimes, maybe 30% of the time yes. I prefer running Vulkan and a Chaplain (I use the Xavier model.)
DA - One word : Ezekiel, maybe 75% of the time. ( If Ezekiel isn't in the list, then Belial or Sammael is.)
Black Templars - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA......... Yeah right. 0%
IG - NOT. ON. YOUR. LIFE. But then I run a either a Mech list or an infantry horde of Ork Hunters. 0%
Chaos :
Tzeentch _ Most certainly. 100% ( I don't run Ahriman though. I prefer to make my own.)
Slaanesh - This one's 50/50%. Lash's notorious rep has caused me not to run it in my list as much as I do run it. In Apoc, it's mandatory though. ( I only run one DP. If not a DP, then a Termie sorcerer gets tapped.)
Nurgle - Probably 80% chance I'll run one. (Always a PA Sorc.)
Sisters - You're kidding right? 0% chance I'll run one. (No Inquisitors for me. Straight Sister army.)
Daemonhunters - Yep, always. 100% chance. (You can't help but run them with Daemonhunters.)

As for the rest I don't have:

Eldar - Probably would
Tau - That's laughable, and a big no for obvious reasons.
Necrons - I'm laughing again....
Orks - Under the right circumstances I might. 50/50%.

Deaf Leaper
23-11-2010, 05:45
You were the victim of some preposterously good dice, a couple of sixes followed by a hail of 3+'s
I've had it bounce off of a Rhino.

Preposterous dice are the worst kind my friend. They are the uncouth yobs of the dice world.

Thanatos_elNyx
23-11-2010, 09:08
So do I. Nothing bugs me more than the fact that we have some of the "best" psykers in the game, and we have no anti-psyker ability of any sort.

Typically I run a pair of DP's with wings, MoT and warptime. They are absolutely deadly.

True on both counts.

I hope that whenever we get a new book that the old Warp Blade (psychic powers are negated on 4+ and psyker suffers perils) and Talisman of Tzeentch (-1 Ld for enemy Psykers) get a return.