PDA

View Full Version : Crisis Suit ankles?

Keichi246
14-03-2006, 13:56
Just a quick note - I didn't see it mentioned anywhere else.

When did GW strengthen the ankles on Crisis suits?

A model I purchased a few months ago has the "old style" ball joint. However - I just got a new Crisis sprue with a slightly different ankle - basically they just extended the solid core of the ankle all the way to the ball on the tip instead of tapering it as they used to.

so instead of being: =-O
it is now: ==O

Just wondering if this was a "stealth" upgrade on the sprues, if I am just totally unobservant, or what... :rolleyes:

Dave Gaidasz

A neutral shade of black.
14-03-2006, 14:02
Hmm...

Did you buy a commander box? The legs have been redone for that model only.

If not, are you under the influence of drugs or psychotic sicknesses? ;)

Would be good news if it was true for all 'suits. Maybe you got a condition error or something.

Jonathan =I=
14-03-2006, 14:18
As always pics please?

jonog2004
14-03-2006, 15:21
The commander box is just a standard Crisis with metal heads, weapons and support systems, so it's not especially for that. Must be a 'stealth' redesign as you say!

neko
14-03-2006, 16:12
I've uploaded a pic here (http://neko.tsmr.net/images/crisisankles.jpg). (fairly large for the sake of detail)

On the left we have the old sprue, and on the right there's the new sprue. The new sprue was taken from a standard Crisis box in the army deal, so the change does apply to all new Crisis suits.

Tom
14-03-2006, 16:13
Oh crikey! There's a turn up for the books!

Happy joy joy!

chris_valera
14-03-2006, 17:20
Huh, that's strange. These molds cost like $200K each, and last virtually forever. So unless the mold broke cuz a staffer dropped it (old Land Raider :wtf: ) I can't believe they redid it. Maybe they just widened the channel in the existing mold.

Either way, good on GW for fixing a serious problem with their models

--Chris

Dakkagor
14-03-2006, 17:31
sweet, this is good news. Should make building my army alot easier.

neko
14-03-2006, 17:39
Maybe they just widened the channel in the existing mold.
It probably doesn't show as well in the pic, but it looks like that's exactly what they've done. The legs look exactly like the old legs, but as if someone has just filled in the gap with a block of plastic - no attempt at any detailing or anything.

Personally, I never did have any real problem with the legs on the XV-8s, but the 88s were a real pain due to being so top heavy. I guess this makes the real question: Have the new broadside boxes containing the new sprue made it into circulation yet?

Wolflord Havoc
14-03-2006, 17:39
Pin them anyway...its for the greater good.......FACT

A neutral shade of black.
14-03-2006, 17:40
I've uploaded a pic here (http://neko.tsmr.net/images/crisisankles.jpg). (fairly large for the sake of detail)

Like, wow.

Okay, this is good news. GW get slandered for not fixing this and then go stealth-fixing it? The world's about to end. O_o

Thanks for the pic, neko.

burni
14-03-2006, 19:48
I've checked the 2 Crisis and 1 commander I got in the army box and the extra one I bought last week instore - all new ankles, all in the new packaging.

I think it's fairly safe to assume that suits in the new packaging have the new ankles (and there IS new broadside packaging, so...).

Tau 2006 - fixed codex, fixed ankles - everyone's a winner :D

Sephiroth
14-03-2006, 19:56
Wow... GW went and fixed something when they could have left it broke?

Many, many kudos to them! :D

Inquisitor Engel
14-03-2006, 19:57
Huh, that's strange. These molds cost like $200K each, and last virtually forever.

Don't forget, the cost of doing plastic moulds now is drastically reduced since the CAD programs and laser scanning were installed at Lenton.

They cost, compared to before, next to nothing. Small alterations can be made and sprues retooled in no time. That's why you're seeing these legs, why you're getting Black Templar doors, Ultramarine accessories on the standard sprues, Stealth Suits, etc.

What used to be plasic/metal hybrids are now all plastic, or will be soon.

Be prepared. :)

MrLiy
14-03-2006, 20:31
Drools... in the possibilities of a GW that actually listens to customers....

burni
14-03-2006, 20:39
What used to be plasic/metal hybrids are now all plastic, or will be soon.

Be prepared. :)

How prepared? Like CoD prepared? Like Venerable Dreadnought prepared? :D

(I know, I know - it's pretty much certain to be a hybrid but I still have a glimmer of hope!)

Anything you need to get off your chest Engel? :evilgrin:

Mr_middle_way
14-03-2006, 21:14
I can see the new legs proving difficult to get into certain poses with the feet, the small ankles allowed a greater degree of flexibility when it came to stances.

Still...very strange they didn't blow the "We ARE listening to you" horn to try and inflate their delapidated Customer opinions.

FunnyTom
14-03-2006, 21:15
Man the possibility of less (or no) more metal models? My day just got a whole lot better.