PDA

View Full Version : 2000pt Wood Elves

Biff Gunhed
21-11-2010, 23:07
I am just getting into Warhammer Fantasy, and I bought a second hand Wood Elf army for cheap. I put together a 1000pt list previously and it worked OK. Now I'm seeing what I can do with 2000pts.

I'd like to include more Glade Guard and more Treekin, but for now I'm working with just the models I got in the second-hand army.

UPDATED IN POST #5

Spellweaver. Level 4 Lore of Life. Stone of the Crystal Mere, Wand of Wych Elm. 335pts.

Noble. Battle Standard. Talisman of Protection, Bow of Loren. 140pts.

13 Glade Guard. Musician, Standard Bearer. Banner of Eternal Flame. 184pts. Noble joins this unit.
11 Glade Guard. Musician, Standard Bearer. 150pts. Spellweaver joins this unit.
5 Scouts. 85pts.
6 Glade Riders. Musician, Standard Bearer. 171pts.
10 Dryads. 120pts.
10 Dryads. 120pts.

6 Wardancers. Musician. 115pts.
3 Treekin. 195pts.

Treeman. 285pts.
Giant Eagle. 50pts.
Giant Eagle. 50pts.

Total 2000pts.

Other models I have but that aren't included in this army are some Highborn/Nobles, a Spellsinger, a Branchwraith, 14 more Glade Riders, 8 more Wardancers, and 3 Warhawks (which are in a serious state of disrepair).

Please let me know what you think.

thesheriff
22-11-2010, 19:50
Spellweaver. Level 4 Lore of Life. Stone of the Crystal Mere, Wand of Wych Elm. 335pts.
Would swap stone for talismain of preservation (4++)

I would not bother giving him anything other than armour. Silverd steel or destiny armour is ideal, with a luckstone

13 Glade Guard. Musician, Standard Bearer. Banner of Eternal Flame. 184pts. Noble joins this unit.
5 Scouts. 85pts.
You've got the right idea, units of them with musicians and banners. Scouts are a waste. Just take loads of units of the normal ones
Prefer more GG personally

10 Dryads. 120pts.
10 Dryads. 120pts.
These dont cut the mustard anymore. Consider more kin or GG?

See above

3 Treekin. 195pts.
These guys are amazing, but more required

Treeman. 285pts.
Giant Eagle. 50pts.
Giant Eagle. 50pts.
So-lid
Total 2000pts.

Ultimately I'd like to include more Glade Guard and more Treekin, but for now I'm working with just the models I got in the second-hand army. Other models I have but that aren't included in this army are some Highborn/Nobles, a Spellsinger, a Branchwraith, 14 more Glade Riders, 8 more Wardancers, and 3 Warhawks (which are in a serious state of disrepair).

Only just notriced this footnote. Sorry, but for WE to win, its as beard as possible.

thesheriff

puckus10
23-11-2010, 01:14
I am just getting into Warhammer Fantasy, and I bought a second hand Wood Elf army for cheap. I put together a 1000pt list previously and it worked OK. Now I'm seeing what I can do with 2000pts.

standard choice/good
good
5 Scouts. 85pts.
Make into normal gg
not that good
10 Dryads. 120pts.
10 Dryads. 120pts.
good

not that good
3 Treekin. 195pts.

Treeman. 285pts.
Giant Eagle. 50pts.
Giant Eagle. 50pts.

Total 2000pts.

Ultimately I'd like to include more Glade Guard and more Treekin, but for now I'm working with just the models I got in the second-hand army. Other models I have but that aren't included in this army are some Highborn/Nobles, a Spellsinger, a Branchwraith, 14 more Glade Riders, 8 more Wardancers, and 3 Warhawks (which are in a serious state of disrepair).
Please let me know what you think.

Waht i think you need to do is get rid of the riders and dancers for more treekin and gladeguard. Other than that looks good

bluemage
23-11-2010, 23:43
I agree with thesheriff on all but the dryads. Dryads are still great for flanking and helping your treekin and treeman kill units faster. Also they're stubborn in woods which is helpful at times. But really, your list needs to be optimized to have much of a chance.

Biff Gunhed
24-11-2010, 03:04
OK, I've made some changes based on comments and after learning my Noble won't benefit from the flaming banner. Also I expect I'll be mostly facing Dwarfs, so I've lost the Wand for something a bit more offensive-oriented.

UPDATED IN POST #7

Spellweaver. Level 4 Lore of Life. Talisman of Protection, Forbidden Rod. 330pts.

Noble. Battle Standard. Armour of Destiny. 140pts.

14 Glade Guard. Musician, Standard Bearer. Banner of Eternal Flame. 196pts. Noble joins this unit.
14 Glade Guard. Musician, Standard Bearer. 186pts. Spellweaver hangs out nearby for Look Out Sir!
8 Glade Riders. Musician, Standard Bearer. 219pts.
10 Dryads. 120pts.
10 Dryads. 120pts.

6 Wardancers. 108pts.
3 Treekin. 195pts.

Treeman. 285pts.
Giant Eagle. 50pts.
Giant Eagle. 50pts.

Total 1999pts.

myrdinn
25-11-2010, 08:01
That's really not a bad list. I think at 2000 points you really do need to drop the riders for more treekin though.

Biff Gunhed
29-11-2010, 00:35
Thanks for the feedback. I didn't actually get to use the army as planned on the weekend as my opponent only had 1500 points. I cobbled together a list pretty quickly for the game, and managed a victory against Dwarfs.

The Dryads were my game winners, so they're definitely staying. My BSB didn't need as much protection as I gave him, he would have contributed more to the game with some magic weaponry. In the first turn I managed to cast Dwellers Below and eat half a squad of Dwarf Warriors, but each turn after that he managed to shut down my magic phase. Then I remembered I had the Forbidden Rod, and promptly killed myself with it :) Still I think that combination of gear for the Spellweaver will work for me.

Based on that game, I've made some changes to the proposed 2000 point list, and also revised a 1500 point list. Ultimately I'll buy more Glade Guard and Treekin, but I'm persisting with only the models in my collection for now.

Spellweaver. Level 4 Lore of Life. Talisman of Protection, Forbidden Rod. 330pts.

Noble. Battle Standard. A Pageant of Shrikes, Gambler's Armour. 135pts.
- The Pageant of Shrikes lets him contribute, hopefully sniping some characters.
Noble. Alter Kindred. Light armour, shield, additional hand weapon. Hail of Doom Arrow, The Helm of the Hunt. 158pts.
- This guy lends support where it is needed. With the additional hand weapon, the Helm, and Alter Kindred, he gets 6 attacks at WS7 on the charge. They're only strength 3 but it should be enough to take out war machines or do some damage with a flank charge.

15 Glade Guard. Musician, Standard Bearer. Banner of Eternal Flame. 208pts.
- BSB joins this unit.
15 Glade Guard. Musician, Standard Bearer. 198pts.
- Spellweaver hangs out nearby for Look Out Sir!
10 Dryads. 120pts.
10 Dryads. 120pts.

8 Wardancers. Musician. 151pts.
3 Treekin. 195pts.

Treeman. 285pts.
Giant Eagle. 50pts.
Giant Eagle. 50pts.

Total 2000pts.

Noble. Alter Kindred. Light armour, additional hand weapon. Hail of Doom Arrow, The Helm of the Hunt. 156pts.

12 Glade Guard. Full command. Banner of Eternal Flame. 178pts.
12 Glade Guard. Musician, Standard Bearer. 162pts.
12 Dryads. 144pts.

3 Treekin. 195pts.

Treeman. 285pts.
Giant Eagle. 50pts.

Total 1500pts.

belgarath97
29-11-2010, 20:27
15 Glade Guard. Musician, Standard Bearer. 198pts.
- Spellweaver hangs out nearby for Look Out Sir!

If she is going to be near the unit, why not put her into it? At least to start the game, that way she is better protected.

10 Dryads. 120pts.
10 Dryads. 120pts.

Why 10? If one dies, you no longer disrupt ranks.

Giant Eagle. 50pts.
Giant Eagle. 50pts.

Please tell me how you use these, I am currently unable to get them to do anything for me.

puckus10
29-11-2010, 20:44
Change the wardancers and drop an eagle for 3 more kin

Hjiryon
29-11-2010, 20:47
Hi there, and welcome to the hippie-smurf-faction of warhammer. :)

Your list is improving rather quickly, but a few further tweaks, I think, could make it even more solid. I usually play 2.5k, so I may overestimate the points you have available.

Glade Guard: I always bring 46, no question. With 500 points less, I'd probably go for 36: 20 in a big block with banner of eternal flame (and your spellweaver) and 10 with your BSB, plus 6 scouts (for hunting warmachines and small units - or just for being annoying if your opponent has neither.
I know people give scouts a hard time, but in my book, ~100 points for disrupting his deployment (force him to cover his deployment zone, so to speak) is always worthwhile. If they actually take out a warmachine, even more so.

Dryads: Not as useful as they have been, but still okay for their price. They're really good support for your heavier hitters.
Be advised, though, that dryads, being skirmishers, cannot disrupt steadfast, have ranks themselves and only have steadfast in fairly rare conditions.
I tend to prefer units of 12 in 8th, but that's just me.

Glade Riders: You removed them, and good riddance.

Specials: This, for me, is the dilemma in the Wood Elf arsenal:
Treekin: An absolutely solid for their price - but the models look like something a 5-year old could have done better. Still, probably one of our best units available.
Minimum unit size is 6 as far as I'm concerned. I know the BRB disagrees, but 3 haven't really done much for me, ever. Yes that's almost 400 points; your opponent will hate having to get rid of them (beware high-str warmachines, though).

Wild Riders (I do use two units of these, mind): Used to be really good. Now they're... A decent place to stick a banner, I suppose. And decent at hunting warmachines. At 2k, though, I may very well give them a pass.

Wardancers: I shelved these, I'm using dryads instead, and it seems to work out. 'Dancers are good for the one round when they can choose the 4+ ward save dance, and for killing characters (killing blow dance). That's it, sadly, and given how fragile they are and that you pay 18 points per wound, that's not good enough.

Your rare selection is absolutely solid. I'd probably not change it until you reach grand army size.

Biff Gunhed
29-11-2010, 22:42
If she is going to be near the unit, why not put her into it? At least to start the game, that way she is better protected.
I figured it might be better to separate her to minimise casualties if she miscasts... but maybe this is misguided.

Why 10? If one dies, you no longer disrupt ranks.
Ah, I missed the bit in the rulebook where I need 2 or more ranks... actually now I re-read the Skirmishers section it says Skirmishers can never disrupt ranks, so it seems their excellent performance in the last game was due to not knowing this rule. In light of this I may even drop them both down to eight, or maybe a single unit of 12.

Please tell me how you use these, I am currently unable to get them to do anything for me.
War Machine hunting. A single Eagle managed to take out nearly all of the Dwarf Cannon crew. At the very least they can tie them up for a couple of turns.

Glade Guard: I always bring 46, no question. With 500 points less, I'd probably go for 36: 20 in a big block with banner of eternal flame (and your spellweaver) and 10 with your BSB, plus 6 scouts (for hunting warmachines and small units - or just for being annoying if your opponent has neither.
I know people give scouts a hard time, but in my book, ~100 points for disrupting his deployment (force him to cover his deployment zone, so to speak) is always worthwhile. If they actually take out a warmachine, even more so.
The first game I played at 1000 points I had 5 Scouts. They performed quite well then. I certainly aim to get a few more Glade Guard eventually, and I may try out your suggested units. They're similar to what I would want.

Dryads: Not as useful as they have been, but still okay for their price. They're really good support for your heavier hitters.
Be advised, though, that dryads, being skirmishers, cannot disrupt steadfast, have ranks themselves and only have steadfast in fairly rare conditions.
I tend to prefer units of 12 in 8th, but that's just me.
As I said above, discovering they can't disrupt steadfast means they actually performed better in my last game than the rules would normally allow. In my first game they performed well as they were in a forest, so I may try and keep using them that way.

Treekin: An absolutely solid for their price - but the models look like something a 5-year old could have done better. Still, probably one of our best units available.
Minimum unit size is 6 as far as I'm concerned. I know the BRB disagrees, but 3 haven't really done much for me, ever. Yes that's almost 400 points; your opponent will hate having to get rid of them (beware high-str warmachines, though).
Indeed. The second-hand army I bought had 3 Treekin, but the models are absolute rubbish. I may end up converting some more, but I'm definitely not going to hand over money for more of the current models. Hopefully they make plastic ones when a new book is released in the distant future.

Wardancers: I shelved these, I'm using dryads instead, and it seems to work out. 'Dancers are good for the one round when they can choose the 4+ ward save dance, and for killing characters (killing blow dance). That's it, sadly, and given how fragile they are and that you pay 18 points per wound, that's not good enough.
I'm really only including them because I have the models and the points. Another few games and I think I'll be ready to put them on eBay and get more Glade Guard.

Hjiryon
29-11-2010, 22:47
Indeed. The second-hand army I bought had 3 Treekin, but the models are absolute rubbish. I may end up converting some more, but I'm definitely not going to hand over money for more of the current models. Hopefully they make plastic ones when a new book is released in the distant future.

For Treekin, if you're fine with using models not made by GW, there's one decent choice out there. It's not everything I'd want them to be (and those who make them usually do better than this), but they are miles and miles ahead of any competition I've seen:

http://www.ragingheroes.com/collections/complete-collection/products/the-tree-warriors

They also happen to be cheaper than GW treekin, though not by much unless you buy 12, which is a costly proposition anyway.

Biff Gunhed
29-11-2010, 23:02
Those models do match the Dryads fairly well.

Other models I like are these:
http://privateerpress.com/hordes/gallery/circle-orboros/warbeasts/woldwatcher

Though they take the idea in a slightly different direction.