PDA

View Full Version : Non Imperial Preists?

Hashulaman
22-11-2010, 22:24
Aside from the Dark Apostles of the Word Bearers does chaos have anything that would be their version of a preist? Same for Eldar and Orks.

Lord Fatwa
22-11-2010, 22:45
That depends on your definition... Basically any cultist leader, be they Chaos, Genestealer, Mechanicus, or otherwise is a 'priest'... These would be much more plentiful than Word Bearer Dark Apostles as well...

Orks would have the occasional prophets of Gork and Mork, Ghazghull being the most recent of these, but I think in both Eldar and Ork culture, religion and faith is much stronger than that of humanity... They know who their gods are, and they'll follow them because they are their gods. So the role of a 'priest' as such is less important than a prophet or teacher.

Lord Damocles
23-11-2010, 08:25
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Chaos/CHAOS_RENEGADES/RENEGADE-APOSTATE-PREACHERS-OF-NURGLE.html

Shamana
23-11-2010, 08:38
I would suppose Ethereals fulfill that role for Tau, at least when it comes to high priests - we don't know if there are a lot of low-ranking ethereals, the aun'la, as it were. If these are rare, other castes probably have some rituals as pertaining to their role in the Greater Good.In kroot societies, iirc the shapers also fulfill the role of shamans, especially those who have acquired minor psychic powers.

Eldar ... well, we know that the Exarchs are, apart from their combat roles, priests of Khaine, although I think that unless the craftworld is at war, most of their "congregation" is limited to their aspect shrines. Harlequins serve as messengers and chosen of Cegorach, spreading the cult - although there may be some separate cults as well... and as far as most eldar are concerned, the rest of their gods are dead or worse. Perhaps there are some priesthoods based on the ideals espoused by them, Isha in particular probably still has some cults - but I'm really not sure. I need to check Path of the Warrior, maybe it has something about all those. The Dark Eldar supposedly have some kind of veneration for the "Dark Muses", epitomes of their culture and the pre-fall period, but I haven't read the fluff part of the new codex yet.

Among orks, I'd say the big ones would automatically be presumed to have Gork and Mork's favour; big orks have a natural authority over the runtier ones, so a Warboss kinda has Gork & Mork's authority anyway. Still, I believe there were some oddboyz that might be more inclined to yell at others and motivate them, occasionally risking a beatdown, disemboweling or other form of krumpin' for their troubles - I think they were called yellerz, appropriately enough.

Idaan
23-11-2010, 10:24
Perhaps there are some priesthoods based on the ideals espoused by them, Isha in particular probably still has some cults - but I'm really not sure. I need to check Path of the Warrior, maybe it has something about all those.
lol, I applaud your guesswork. There is indeed a priesthood of Isha in "Path of the Warrior". They're healers, using a mix of technology, psychology and psychic powers.

Iracundus
23-11-2010, 10:59
lol, I applaud your guesswork. There is indeed a priesthood of Isha in "Path of the Warrior". They're healers, using a mix of technology, psychology and psychic powers.

They walk the Path of the Healer but that is not the same as saying they are a priesthood of Isha. Even though in the novel the reference was often made to the "Tress of Isha", that seems to be a psychological construct used to aid Eldar in healing rather than an actual appeal to or worship of Isha.

Idaan
23-11-2010, 11:10
Huh, I seem to recall the healer being called priest at least once. Sadly I don't have the book at hand right now to check that.

Iracundus
23-11-2010, 11:44
The closest is they call themselves "Isha's healers" (p. 189, Path of the Warrior) but that still isn't clearly the same as saying they are priests of Isha. It would be like saying "Vulcan's smiths". The profession of healers may be certainly be associated with Isha ideologically and mythologically, just as warriors are linked with Khaine.

Shamana
23-11-2010, 12:46
Well, the eldar paths are supposed to be incredibly immersive and, if the warrior ones are any indication, may well submerge the wielder into a semi-idealized persona. It would only make sense to have Isha as a patron (matron?) of the healing paths, and especially those who get lost on them would serve as her voices in the community, filling a role similar to priests.

Lupe
23-11-2010, 16:26
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Fire_Caste#Shas_-_Fire_caste

According to the translation of the higher ranks of the Ethereal caste, it seems they do indeed function as some sort of priests.

Hashulaman
28-11-2010, 18:41
Rather Ironic, an Athieistic race suich as the Tau revering the Ehterals relgiously. I thoguth it was just biological compliance from the Pheromones.

TheLaughingGod
29-11-2010, 11:19
Exarchs are literally priests of Khaine.
Farseers fulfill a role similar to a priest or prophet, though they don't acknowledge a higher power as such.
Harlequins are certainly priests of the Laughing God.
The Dark Eldar appear to have priests for their minor gods.
Gazghull considers himself a Prophet of the WAAAGH.

schoon
30-11-2010, 05:25
Wouldn't Weird Boyz technically be the most direct channel of Orks with their primal "spiritual" power?