PDA

View Full Version : Potential For A Breach?

The Inevitable One
23-11-2010, 08:28
Watching the Dark Eldar videos provided by Games Workshop, I was wondering, could there ever be a breach of the Webway that holds Commorragh? I mean, when the Dark Eldar are flying in and out of that part of the Webway, trying to collect prisoners, a portal/door/etc. should open. If that is the case, couldn't daemons of all sorts some how slip through and infest Commorragh eventually?

Shamana
23-11-2010, 08:48
It may be possible, but quite hard. The Dark Eldar supposedly have quite a few defense measures yet, some of which were iirc used when one not-so-smart archon decided to open a rift and use daemons to defeat his/her rivals. Still, this is why dark eldar have no psykers and shun this path - an untrained or just unlucky psyker may open a rift through which daemons could pour through.

Also, the webway is a network of tunnels, and by and large is fairly safe. A lot of tunnels were lost, or are risky, but a raiding force would probably use one of the more stable ones... otherwise they risk annihilation before they even get to the battle.

Iuris
23-11-2010, 08:57
I thought the new codex had a story where some of the safeguards were disabled by an archon who believed he could control chaos, only to have Veck activate secondary safeguards, isolating the section the archon was in from the rest of Commoragh.

Essentially, compartmentalized system, with backups.

Of course if ALL should fail...

Malagate
23-11-2010, 09:04
That was a pretty neat story in the codex Shamana refers to, shows how crazy prepared Vect is so I would wager that even if a breach were to somehow happen, there would already be plenty of counter-measures or at least a lot of unfortunate bodies inbetween the daemons and anyone important/powerful in Commorragh.

Lord Fatwa
23-11-2010, 10:59
Here's a fun idea...

Let's say a Dark Eldar raid captures a Gamma or higher level psyker who, as a coping method to avoid the Inquisition/Witch Hunters etc, has learned to mask their ability to appear as only slightly more psychically able than normal humans. Let's say a relatively young, unknowing Archon thinks that what appears to be a latent psyker would be a lot of fun to torture, and eventually this actually quite powerful psyker reaches out from their dungeon and, trying to escape, takes a hold of the walls of the webway and starts trying to tear them open so they can escape back to the material universe. Would they succeed, given enough time and mental energy? Would daemons sense this tear about to happen and flock to the opening to try and break in? Or would Vect end up going 'just as planned' as usual?

MagosHereticus
23-11-2010, 12:31
Here's a fun idea...

Let's say a Dark Eldar raid captures a Gamma or higher level psyker who, as a coping method to avoid the Inquisition/Witch Hunters etc, has learned to mask their ability to appear as only slightly more psychically able than normal humans. Let's say a relatively young, unknowing Archon thinks that what appears to be a latent psyker would be a lot of fun to torture, and eventually this actually quite powerful psyker reaches out from their dungeon and, trying to escape, takes a hold of the walls of the webway and starts trying to tear them open so they can escape back to the material universe. Would they succeed, given enough time and mental energy? Would daemons sense this tear about to happen and flock to the opening to try and break in? Or would Vect end up going 'just as planned' as usual?

i could image a daemon host being prepared by the inquisition to achieve that effect (essentially a daemon bomb to try and inflict horrendous damage on the dark eldar)

Clockwork-Knight
23-11-2010, 13:48
Stuff like that has probably happened so often in the history of Commoragh that the dark eldar will have prepared defensive measures for anything of that sort. And with the gigantic size of the dark city, practically no damage could really stall the dark eldars' ambition to wreck havock upon realspace.

Killgore
23-11-2010, 20:25
With the technological might of the Dark Eldar who is to say that they are not the undisputed masters of Webway tech left in the Galexy? With areas regularly used by DE properly maintained to avoid any unfortunate breaches.

negZero
23-11-2010, 21:44
No matter what it is Vect has plan to deal with it.

Mánagarmr
23-11-2010, 22:27
No matter what it is Vect has plan to deal with it.

This; Vects plot-armor is thicker than an Orkz skull.

No matter what trick or trap you set, somehow Vect actually tricked you into setting it up.

Arthanor
24-11-2010, 04:21
Coming back to the original topic, raiding real space from the webway is similar to raiding the surface from an underwater "tunnel" that reaches the surface; you don't have to get wet.

In this case, the portal links real space and the webway directly, the connection (and the dark eldars in the raiding party) don't go through the warp at any time, therefore there's no gap for demons to get in.

The webway exists in the warp, like underwater "tunnels" exist in the water. If you rip up the wall, demons (or water in the analogy) will flood the tunnels. If you just follow the tunnel to the surface, that's not a problem.

Or did I miss something central that's told in the new DE codex and requires those exiting the webway to go through the warp?

Paul Nexus
24-11-2010, 08:28
The webway isn't quite in the warp, it's in between. I would imagine it would take a lot to cause a breach on the warp's side. For a start the webway wouln't be surrounded by mere physical 'walls'. You couldn't just take a hammer, hit the webway a bit and find yourself poking your head into some warp. It took the creation of a god to reall damage and weaken parts of the network.

Lord Asgul
24-11-2010, 23:00
This; Vects plot-armor is thicker than an Orkz skull.

No matter what trick or trap you set, somehow Vect actually tricked you into setting it up.

You do know that there is one person who taught Vect everything he knows about traps.

Admiral Ackbar

GingerBalls
25-11-2010, 17:56

Maybe Vect is the ONLY DE psycher and wants to keep it that way.

Off topic but I'm just sayin'.

Zander77
26-11-2010, 02:28
With the technological might of the Dark Eldar who is to say that they are not the undisputed masters of Webway tech left in the Galexy? With areas regularly used by DE properly maintained to avoid any unfortunate breaches.

I always thought it was the Harlies that were the "best of the best" as far as webway tech. Isn't the library hidden in the webway as well?

traeplien
26-11-2010, 04:31
I always thought it was the Harlies that were the "best of the best" as far as webway tech. Isn't the library hidden in the webway as well?

Yes, the Black Library is located deep within the webway, hidden away from most. However, there are hints in the current Eldar codex that it's not all Harlequins that guard the Black Library, but some Eldar even scarier than the "killer clowns".

Also, Vect often performs what we fondly refer to as the Xanatos Gambit. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/XanatosGambit) :evilgrin:

chromedog
26-11-2010, 05:03
The Harlequin "black library" is also hidden inside the webway.
In a similar way to Avalon (mythology) or the "magic shop" in Diagon Alley (or even platform 9 3/4).
Only certain individuals are given access to it, and woe betide anyone attempting entry who isn't. The shadowy "guardians" of the library will have more than just "SHHH!" to say about it.

The webway has its own little defences, too. Crystalline spider spirits that act as an immune system.

Paul Nexus
26-11-2010, 22:43
Crystalline spider spirits that act as an immune system

Warp Spiders? (not the aspect)