PDA

View Full Version : creating bases?

Botjer
23-11-2010, 10:02
I ordered some minis from Copplestone casting and they are great and all but i didnt get any bases, any suggestions for making kick ass bases?

DaR
23-11-2010, 16:34
For 10mm scale minis, especially if you're putting whole units on them, you're not going to get a ton of landscaping. If the minis are singles, rather than strips, you could probably do some nice diorama effects using cork and a little epoxy putty. If you haven't any cork sheet on hand, most office supply stores will sell sheets or tiles of it meant for making wall hanging bulletin boards out of.

For the base material itself, you can either make or buy 20x40mm MDF or bass wood rectangles. I've also seen some people use 2mm plasticard for the same job. There are companies which will also sell you acrylic (such as Litko Aero) or thin steel sheet (made by a few companies).

I would recommend avoiding anything thinner than about 2mm, unless it's steel, as otherwise the glue from the figures and flocking material will tend to curl up the edges of the base. It also makes it hard to grab without using the figures themselves and risking breaking off things like spears or bows.

Cpt. Drill
23-11-2010, 21:11
Its a boring process but sit down with a nice drink, a ruler, a sharp knife and a piece of plasticard (2-3mm works fine) Just measure out a whole bunch of 20x40mm bases. One piece of plasticard will cost you a couple of quid and make about 60 or so bases. I sat down with four sheets of plasticard and made all the bases I could need!

Botjer
24-11-2010, 11:02
thanks for the help :)
what are the different basesizes?
4x2 cm is regular infantry how about other types?

Cpt. Drill
24-11-2010, 15:24
Everything goes onto a 40x20mm. The only thing in the game that doesnt is the stegadon which is mounted on a 60x40mm base (three bases stuck together).

We either use small coins or 40k bases for heroes but you can mount them of 40x20mm bases if you prefer.

StefDa
02-12-2010, 08:44
I suggest putting heroes on small, round 40k bases like in my log (link in my signature). This makes them stand out very well which they certainly deserve!

fracas
02-12-2010, 18:04
i went with standard warmaster base for heroes because of the monster mounts and a near pathologic compulsion to keep all character bases standardized and thus the same

Verm1s
20-05-2011, 20:25
I know this is pretty late, but seen Renedra?

http://renedra.co.uk/webstore.html
http://renedra.co.uk/images/40x20LGE.gif

tinfish666
22-05-2011, 10:18
You could order mdf bases from Warbases.
Search ebay for 20x40 bases.
Spend hours cutting out plasticard or mounting card bases.

your choice.

Killshot
22-05-2011, 22:09
I was going to suggest Warbases as well. I order from him on my side of the Pond and get my stuff quick and I haven't had any problems.

Spectrar Ghost
23-05-2011, 03:15
Kallistra also has plastic 20x40 bases.

But for WM, cutting 40mil/1mm Plasticard to size and cleaning the edges (optional) is really not difficult. It's far less time consuming than Epic bases, which usually requires 2 sheets of 40mil, with the top punched with a 1/4" hole punch and cleaned up with a similar sized drill bit, then the edges cleaned.

roman90
14-09-2011, 21:15
I've been on here the past few days trying to figure out a good, cheap way to make bases for counters (the paper images of units). I saw somewhere in a post that someone mentioned a vinyl tile 1in x 1in that had a film that could be pealed off and was ideal for counters. I can't find it anymore and can't put up a new post without a 2 post count, so I wondered if someone could point me to it, new to the site and Warmaster, have about 3-5 other people interested, but none of us have lots of "frivolous spending money", and so are wanting to learn the rules and kinda test armies out so when we buy miniatures, we buy only what we need for our games.

Nuada
16-09-2011, 12:47
Just found this.... http://www.magistermilitum.com/product.asp?numRecordPosition=12&P_ID=10532&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=460

They sell bases for 15p each, or 50 for 5.