PDA

View Full Version : Battle for the Fang

Orcboy_Phil
23-11-2010, 16:53
Looks like its going to be a good year for Spacewolf and Thousand Son's fans. Not only will we finally get Pospero Burns, but we'll also see one of the Thousand Sons counterattacks with Bjorn defending the fang from the Thousand Sons. if I remember my history correctly this was quiet a major conflict in which the fang was left mostly defenseless during a Great Hunt.

Product link thanks to Citizen Nick: http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/coming-soon/Battle-of-the-fang.html

Scorpius_78
23-11-2010, 17:01
a bit of old news man,

But this is the first time i'v seen this new cool peice of artwork.

Draconis
23-11-2010, 17:04
I dont know anything about it, but I'm sure, as always, the loyalist will win.

Mojaco
23-11-2010, 17:10
I hope Thousand Sons will be the moral winners after this book. I'm sick of SW's winning everything there is to win.

I should start reading Prospero Burns, haven't done a lot with it...

CitizenNick
23-11-2010, 17:13
What is this author's reputation? I haven't heard of him before. Looks like this is his frist 40K book after doing a few WHFB books.

Hopefully he's not another C.S. Goto.

Edit: @ Mojaco - You have a copy of Prospero Burns? I thouhgt it just went on preorder?

jspyd3rx
23-11-2010, 17:45
I would definitely bet that Space Wolves also get somekind of release of plastic around this time. I only think this because of the latest Salamander novel features Dark Eldar, almost seems like advertising. Then next years ultramarines vs. necrons at around the same time the army is due for an update. What do you guys think? Could I be on to something here?

Londinium
23-11-2010, 18:29
What is this author's reputation? I haven't heard of him before. Looks like this is his frist 40K book after doing a few WHFB books.

Hopefully he's not another C.S. Goto.

Edit: @ Mojaco - You have a copy of Prospero Burns? I thouhgt it just went on preorder?

I'd imagine he must be at least half way decent to get given such a project. The Battle of the Fang is one of the biggest fluff pieces post Heresy for both The Thousand Sons and the Space Wolves. They wouldn't give it to a Goto character to ruin or at least I hope they wouldn't.

MajorWesJanson
23-11-2010, 18:38
Finally, another good cover for a SM Battle book, and not the mess of Voldorious or Rynn's

CitizenNick
23-11-2010, 19:38
I'd imagine he must be at least half way decent to get given such a project. The Battle of the Fang is one of the biggest fluff pieces post Heresy for both The Thousand Sons and the Space Wolves. They wouldn't give it to a Goto character to ruin or at least I hope they wouldn't.

Let's all hope.

nazrag
23-11-2010, 19:51
Who is the writer?

CitizenNick
23-11-2010, 20:22
Hey Orkboy_Phil, could you put this in the OP?

http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-products/coming-soon/Battle-of-the-fang.html

t-tauri
23-11-2010, 21:29
Off topic deleted. Moved to Black Library. Please post in the appropriate forum.

narrativium
23-11-2010, 22:27
Who is the writer?

Chris Wraight is the author of Masters of Magic, Dark Storm Gathering, Iron Company, Sword of Justice and Sword of Vengeance; he's had short stories in the anthologies Invasion! and Death & Dishonour. Battle of the Fang is his first 40K novel. His blog can be found here: http://chriswraight.wordpress.com/.

Lord_Crull
23-11-2010, 23:42
I hope Thousand Sons will be the moral winners after this book. I'm sick of SW's winning everything there is to win.

I should start reading Prospero Burns, haven't done a lot with it...

I know the Sons lose and get chased away in the end. But I want them to give the Wolves as good as they got and come away with something to show for their efforts at least.

I don't really want to buy the book, crack open the cover and find out that the Sons have been reduced to cannon fodder for the Wolves. That would just be boring for me.

Nazguire
06-12-2010, 17:58
I know the Sons lose and get chased away in the end. But I want them to give the Wolves as good as they got and come away with something to show for their efforts at least.

I don't really want to buy the book, crack open the cover and find out that the Sons have been reduced to cannon fodder for the Wolves. That would just be boring for me.

That is what happened at the Battle of the Fang though. There was only one Great Company, Bjorn, a few servitors and serfs, and Wolf Scouts. The Wolves were on the verge of defeat. So expect to see multiple Space Wolf casualties, a sense of despair and hopelessness in the book as the Fang is almost breached and then a heroic victory as Haakon leads the rest of the Chapter to dominate the Thousand Sons at the last second :p

Lord_Crull
06-12-2010, 20:42
That is what happened at the Battle of the Fang though. There was only one Great Company, Bjorn, a few servitors and serfs, and Wolf Scouts. The Wolves were on the verge of defeat. So expect to see multiple Space Wolf casualties, a sense of despair and hopelessness in the book as the Fang is almost breached and then a heroic victory as Haakon leads the rest of the Chapter to dominate the Thousand Sons at the last second :p

True, and that's what I hoped to see written.

Although I wonder how they will handle the whole Magnus vs. Haakon fight. In the original fluff Haakon fought Magnus, lost, but managed to severely wound the Primarch. Somehow.

No offense Space Wolf players, but Haakon should not have survived five seconds against a Primarch who was going to to toe with Russ and giving him a run for his money. Haakon should not have even wounded him if they fought.

The only way I can see this done is have Magnus weakened somehow before the fight or not fully manifested.

(And before anyone brings up the Ragnar example, Magnus had not manifested fully at all and Ragnar pretty much got lucky with a Primarch-grade weapon agaianst a Primarch who was not even fighting him)

Nazguire
06-12-2010, 21:39
True, and that's what I hoped to see written.

Although I wonder how they will handle the whole Magnus vs. Haakon fight. In the original fluff Haakon fought Magnus, lost, but managed to severely wound the Primarch. Somehow.

No offense Space Wolf players, but Haakon should not have survived five seconds against a Primarch who was going to to toe with Russ and giving him a run for his money. Haakon should not have even wounded him if they fought.

The only way I can see this done is have Magnus weakened somehow before the fight or not fully manifested.

(And before anyone brings up the Ragnar example, Magnus had not manifested fully at all and Ragnar pretty much got lucky with a Primarch-grade weapon agaianst a Primarch who was not even fighting him)

Perhaps thats merely Space Wolf saga exaggeration. Perhaps the reason that Magnus retreated was because his forces were pretty much destroyed now that the full Chapter had arrived.

Though didn't Magnus bring his Legion? They should haev been on equal terms if that happened?

Though I suppose with a fortress in front and a thousand Space Wolves at your back, it's time to call it a day.

So anyway, perhaps Magnus truly did just cut down the Great Wolf easily, but saw it was a lost fight, that he had run out of time, and retreated.

As long as the book doesn't revolve around some magical item or artefact needed to destroy Magnus, I'll be happy.

Lord_Crull
06-12-2010, 22:45
Though didn't Magnus bring his Legion? They should haev been on equal terms if that happened?

Read the end of a Thousand Sons. the TS no longer have anywhere near the numbers of a Legion.

Nazguire
07-12-2010, 02:18
Read the end of a Thousand Sons. the TS no longer have anywhere near the numbers of a Legion.

Exactly. I said close to equal terms. 1000 Thousand Sons vs 1000 or so Space Wolves at the end of the Battle of the Fang.

Orcboy_Phil
07-12-2010, 04:32
Your looking at more than a thousand Space Wolves unless the wolves really went of the rails in the 41st millenia. There are currently 12 great companies with around 120 marines in each with different companies being larger than this.

Nazerth
07-12-2010, 23:07
Well, it takes place in the 32nd millenium, no? You can pretty much make up whatever you want for numbers back then since there's not much around to contradict you.

reds8n
15-12-2010, 09:43
Just a small update for/from Tuesday...

Chris Wright's Sketches for 'Battle of the Fang'
Our studio manager Darius was sifting through his drawer today and came across Chris Wraight’s sketches for Battle of the Fang. Here, take a look.

Space Marine Battles books are different from our other books in that they contain force diagrams, maps and such. Normally what happens is that the author will sketch (in some cases doodle) roughly what they envisage going into the book and then our art department turns them into what eventually appears in the book. The drawings also provide the author with a handy resource, helping them to visualise the story.

Battle of the Fang is out net summer, while the latest addition to the Space Marine Battles series, Gav Thorpe’s The Purging of Kadillus, can be pre-ordered now.

link to post with pictures in (http://www.blacklibrary.com/Blog/Battle-of-the-fang-sketches.html).

thewickedworm
16-12-2010, 23:36
Chris Wraight is the author of Masters of Magic, Dark Storm Gathering, Iron Company, Sword of Justice and Sword of Vengeance; he's had short stories in the anthologies Invasion! and Death & Dishonour. Battle of the Fang is his first 40K novel. His blog can be found here: http://chriswraight.wordpress.com/.

I will definately be purchasing Battle for the Fang based on what I read in Sword of Justice. Great stuff. His take on Ludwig Schwarzhelm is awesome (think of him as a grumpy old man--one that can rip you in half with his bare hands!). It's the one book that really got me into Warhammer Fantasy fluff.

FlashGordon
21-12-2010, 08:35
Exactly. I said close to equal terms. 1000 Thousand Sons vs 1000 or so Space Wolves at the end of the Battle of the Fang.

Problem is that the 1000 thousand sons was considered to be as strong as any legion thanks to their awsomely powerful psykers(more or less the whole legion).

reds8n
04-01-2011, 12:58
Mr. Wraight answered a few questions for B & C with regards to his forthcoming Space Wolf book, relevant/interesting parts follow ( IMO, YMMV etc etc )

Please excuse the awkward format :thumbsup:

The Wolves, like all aspects of 40K, have evolved over time, so the question of what counts as getting them 'right' isn't entirely straightforward. Consider how Graham McNeill portrayed them in A Thousand Sons, compared to how Bill King did in the four original Space Wolf novels. Superficially things are pretty similar, but in many ways they're very different characters. Every author, including the various writers of the Codexes, has their own angle on the SWs, and being faithful to that huge collection of material is a challenge.

So, in preparation for BotF, I thought a lot about the nature of the SWs and how to portray them. At the same time, I did a *lot* of reading. For starters, that meant the current Codex, plus extracts of the older ones sent to me by BL. I went back through the two Space Wolf omnibuses, as well as the relevant stories from the anthologies. There were bits and pieces from the Index Astartes that were useful, as well as chunks of the venerable Rogue Trader rulebook. And don't forget the Thousand Sons - I didn't want them to be mindless villains (the sorcerers, at least), and it was important to get them 'right' as well. So that meant reading extracts of the Chaos Space Marine Codex (both old and new), as well as the various snippets about them scattered across the GW canon. I also wanted to get a feel for how Space Marines were being written in contemporary BL books, so got stuck into books like Salamander and Soul Hunter for a flavour of how the universe was being rendered by current authors.

In the end, there were three sources that proved most helpful and influential. The first was Helsreach, which came out just as I was getting started. This was a great inspiration in many ways, but the story structure is also quite similar to the Fang's and I suspect the writing issues were pretty similar. The second was A Thousand Sons, which gave me heaps of ideas for portraying Magnus's sons. I had a long chat with Graham before starting out, as I wanted my Thousand Sons to feel the pain of Prospero in everything they did. For them, it's a matter of decades since the City of Light fell, and they're still coming to terms with it.

The third influence was, of course, the mighty Prospero Burns. I won't be giving any spoilers away if I say that this was one of the finest books I've ever read from BL, and it was a huge help in getting the Space Wolves clear in my head. By the time I got hold of an advance copy I was about a third of the way through Fang, so I had to do some rewrites to make sure everything matched up. In my opinion, Dan has written the definitive Space Wolf book in PB, and I've taken his account as the principal template for my own rendering of the warriors of Fenris.

All that being said, though, BotF is my book. There are ideas there that are totally my own, and I've not tried to copy anyone's style or mannerisms. It was an enormous privilege to portray Fenris in all its savage glory, and to try to tell an epic tale with the action and depth it deserves. I'll have to wait to see what the readers make of it, especially those who play SWs or TSs. Experience tells me that not everyone will agree with my take on the characters, setting and story, since everyone has a different angle on them. But I hope that others will, and that it'll stand up alongside the other Space Wolf stories and further enrich their fantastic background.

1) how long does Black Library usually give you to finish a book? did you choose this project or was it given to you?

Hi MaveriK, and thanks for the idea of doing this. BL books vary in how long they take to write. Some are written as quickly as three months, although there's usually been a few weeks of planning before that, and the proofing stage can also add to that. BotF took a lot longer, as it was Big and Difficult. I was asked to pitch for BotF by BL.

2) like Dan Abnett, he had certain props around him to help him write Prospero Burns, did you do anything similar?

Lots of artwork, and piles of codexes. But mostly the inspiration comes from the music I'm listening to as I type. God bless Spotify.

3) who is a your favorite Space Wolf character and why?

The Dreads. They're awesome. The way I see it, all Space Marines have an ambivalent relationship with being stuck in a giant metal coffin for all eternity. Sure, it's a huge honour and they can keep on fighting, but deep down they know they'll never race toward the enemy with a chainsword in their (real) hand ever again. They're pissed, they're confined, and that makes them utterly terrifying. Space Wolves even more so. Imagine being a Blood Claw - the most reckless and exuberant warrior in the galaxy. You spend your time hurling yourself into combat like the were-rabbit from Holy Grail. Then you're told you can only trundle into contact at two miles per hour and you have to get your mjod through a tube. That's some interesting psychology there.

And, of course, there's the grandaddy. Best Space Wolf character? Bjorn, by a distance.

4) what are your final thoughts on the Space Wolf chapter in comparison to the other chapters of the Imperium.

As I said in the previous post, I think Dan's take on them is the right one. They're savage, but not savages. They're brutal, but not brutes. They're obsessive in pursuit of their goals, and kill without remorse or hesitation. They're executioners, the guys you turn to when you need a job doing with the most extreme kind of prejudice. But they're also capable of extreme loyalty and devotion. They value the human spirit when it stands up and fights. They have no airs - what you see is what you get. They will laugh as they run into battle like a mortal would laugh when falling in love. They're superstitious and backward, but for all that wiser than many more advanced strands of the Imperium. They're extremely simple, and also extremely complicated.

In short, they're brilliant.

5) I would like to ask if the author will shine a light to the lethal native flora and fauna of Fenris aside from the obvious Wolves, like Psyfoxes and cave dragons....? Is the Fang described in lots of detail?

Hi Bulweih. As you'd expect, Fenris gets a lot of attention. I did try to flesh out the planet's unique landscape, and pay attention to the fact that everything on it is trying to kill you. All the time.

Don't expect much focus on the more exotic fauna, since most of the action takes place in the Fang, and this is about Space Marines fighting each other. But there are deep tunnels at the bottom of the fortress, and the story takes us a long way down...

6)I am wondering what authors inspiers him and he looks up to. :-)

I've been pretty vocal about the BL authors I admire, in this thread and elsewhere. As for non-BL writers, I have pretty broad tastes. SF-wise, I like Iain M. Banks, Ursula LeGuin, Christopher Priest, John Wyndham and Margaret Atwood. I also enjoy Robert Harris thrillers, journalism by Joseph Mitchell, and Calvin and Hobbes.

One author I hugely admire is J. K. Rowling. Not for the books (I haven't read any of them), but for her life-story. Anyone who can work that hard and go through so much rejection and maintain belief in her material is a hero. I'm glad she's made a success of herself - she deserves it.

7)Was the battle/war only at the fang or was it global?

Hi dragon950. Your questions touch on stuff that I'd rather leave to the book to tell, so don't assume from my brief responses that they're not good questions (they are).

The book concentrates on the Fang.

8)How many brothers were left to defend the fang? There should be one company left to defend, plus all the different priests, scouts, blood claws that haven't been put in a compnay yet, and dreadnoughts.

Yup, that's about right. More detail in the book.

9)Any ideas on how many thousand sons were attacking the planet. In the third ragnar book it made it seem like there was alot more of them than there were in the HH book.

I took the likely numbers from what's left at the end of A Thousand Sons, accounting for defections to Ahriman, etc., over a millennium. So we're talking hundreds of Rubric Marines rather than thousands. But that doesn't mean there can't be mortal troops as well, on both sides - the ranged forces are pretty big.

10)My thoughts: I know it's much more likely that whenever the Thousand Sons launch an assault on Fenris they would just head straight for the Fang (rather than get shot out of the sky by Fenris' Planetary Defense Guns) but if they were to consider sending forces off to go after the natives how would the SW counter this/ act on it and how would the skirmishes play out?

Hi Orphus. As with my previous post, not much I can say here that isn't answered in the book. The battle focusses on the Fang, just as the Sack of Prospero focussed on Tizca.

11)I've always wanted to know with all Black Library authors how much the stories main details are already decided ?

There's a lot of freedom there. BotF had a couple of restrictions which gave me a few headaches, mostly involving numbers and timing (like the siege lasting 40 days, etc.), but in terms of characters and the unfolding of the action, we get a fairly free hand.

12)I noticed areferance to greylock in the write up on the site, i am interested to see if this is the same greylock aka brother captain greylock from the wolftime campaign released back in the rt book of the astronomicon ?

Ah, no. There's been a slight typo on the BL site here - the character in the book is actually called Vaer Greyloc, and he's a Wolf Lord. He's got no relation to the Greylock you're referring to, who I think would have been fighting in the 40K 'present' (BotF is set in M32).

13)Did you do all your research via books, or who did you talk to for facts on the wolves? What places/groups/films/etc did you find yourself drawing on for their speech and behavior? How do you feel your works line up with William Kings descriptions of the Fang and Fenris?

Hi Grey Mage. I think the first (long!) post at the top of this series of answers mostly covers this question.

Just on Bill King's vision - I do think that my version of Fenris is a little different. That's not because I don't admire King's original (I do), but just because I think that the 40K universe has evolved since those books were written. I've not set out to contradict anything in the Space Wolf saga, but we do get to see a darker, grittier Fenris, which I think is in keeping with the tenor of current 40K writing. Also, remember that there are approximately 8,000 years between the action of BotF and the King Space Wolf books, so you'd expect some things to have changed.

14)Just how peeved are the Wolves that Fenris is being invaded? Does it bring on a righteous fury among the Wolves, making the assault on Prospero seem like puppies playing?

One of the aspects I wanted to play up was the difference between the TSs' defence of Prospero and the SWs' defence of Fenris. Remember that the Thousand Sons were hamstrung by confusion and contradictory impulses - in large part, because the wisest among them recognised that they were being punished for a terrible miscalculation, and that makes the conflict all the more tragic. The Space Wolves have no such uncertainty - they loathe the Traitor with a passion, and they're going to fight like daemons even when it looks like all is lost.

So there are key differences here, but there are also some surprising similarities. The Wolves and the Sons share millennia of mutual hatred and mistrust, and over the centuries they've become more alike than either would admit. The Thousand Sons are driven by a bitterness at their betrayal (as they see it) which makes them far more ruthless than they were in the days of the Crusade. The Wolves have also been badly hurt by the Heresy, and are mistrusted by the wider Imperium almost as much as Magnus once was. One of the great aspects of the Heresy story is the ambiguity between 'good' and 'bad' in the Galaxy - over time, as the Long War drags on, the various factions become more and more alike, and the only real victors are the ever-thirsting gods. In telling a story set in M32, I wanted to start hinting at how this process begins, and how the Galaxy of the young Imperium already exhibits the flaws that will see it degenerate so terribly by 40K.

Nazguire
05-01-2011, 00:57
Interesting.

I never saw the Space Wolves as mistrusted by the Imperium. Certainly a thorn in the side of the Administratum, certainly an annoyance and fascination for the Inquisition, and of course there would be some that would mistrust their obvious mutations.

But aren't the Space Wolves stated as being loved by the Imperium, especially Logan Grimnar?

I'm guessing that the Imperium of M32 is still some what similar to the pre-Heresy Imperium (Minus the Emperor/Primarchs/Malcador etc) in outlook and organisation.

Pacific
10-01-2011, 14:00
Interesting interview, thanks for that.

It will be interesting to see how the book stacks up to Prospero Burns, that book is simply phenomenal and IMO better than all of the Omnibus titles put together. Kudos to Mr. Abnett for once more having the balls to add something new to the concept of the SW.

Dry_Erase
10-01-2011, 21:27
They're savage, but not savages. They're brutal, but not brutes. They're obsessive in pursuit of their goals, and kill without remorse or hesitation. They're executioners, the guys you turn to when you need a job doing with the most extreme kind of prejudice. But they're also capable of extreme loyalty and devotion. They value the human spirit when it stands up and fights. They have no airs - what you see is what you get.

This makes them sound almost exactly the same as Wolverine. Interesting.

The Anarchist
18-01-2011, 21:53
Beautiful cover art! differnt from the recent artwork on many space marine books!