PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite LOTR miniature?

IllidanStormrage
24-11-2010, 16:43
Whats your favorite hero model, and regular model.

Hero: Haldir, just because he looks cool, eh hes okay in the actual game

Regular: Haldirs elf model, because i just love the way they hold their glaives.

scar face
24-11-2010, 16:48
Wrong board

ForgottenLore
24-11-2010, 16:51
Not sure what this is doingin 40K general, but...

Probably Sauron the Necromancer.

I also really like the Haradrim, but then I like arabian nights flavored stuff.

Lord Damocles
24-11-2010, 17:03
Gimli #6

...or is it #7? There's just so many of them!

Aiwass
24-11-2010, 17:08
Sauron the Betrayer?

Gilrowen the Brave
24-11-2010, 17:13
Aragon on Amon Hen, sculpted by the Prerrys

Wintermute
24-11-2010, 17:51
I'm moving this thread to LOTR General

Wintermute

Cuchulain84
24-11-2010, 18:28
So hard to say, I haven't seen a single bad LOTR sculpt.

I think the Eowyn models are very nice.

RunepriestRidcully
24-11-2010, 19:55
Elendil: one of my favorite GW models, just trying to copy the helmet and shoulders for my Thousand Sons and a wfb chaos sorcerer of tzeentch.
Numenorians: my only problem is tha fact none have beards, but apart from that I like them, and am trying to convert some chaos warriors to look a bit like them. noone replied to the thread I made on the conversions, so if anyone has any advice it's welcome.

Light of the Emperor
25-11-2010, 01:26
I like Boromir of the White Tower...the older version where he actually carries the Banner.

Gandalf on cart is also quite nice. I have the model and will one day will recreate that iconic still shot of him stopping infront of Bilbo's house.

Forgotmytea
25-11-2010, 07:29
Hero-wise I think mine has to be Saruman from The Two Towers (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat460026a&prodId=prod1080061). As for the regular guys, possibly the plastic Easterlings. To my eyes, they're just such lovely models...

Bruncase
25-11-2010, 08:12
Whats your favorite hero model, and regular model.

Hero: Haldir, just because he looks cool, eh hes okay in the actual game

Regular: Haldirs elf model, because i just love the way they hold their glaives.

Hero: It's got to be Khamul, but with the dark marshal close behind...

Regular: Easterling pikes :) the most menacing unit in the game :D

Krabat
25-11-2010, 10:49
Bilbo; imho the most authentic figuration of all.

Chrombar
25-11-2010, 17:14
hero: Prince Imrahil (mounted) or the betrayer (mounted), can't make a choice there

regular mini's: watchers of Kârna

Codsticker
26-11-2010, 05:42
I think my favourite hero mini is Lurtz, and the Rohirrim plastics are great.

Khamul
26-11-2010, 23:12
The Dwimmerlaik (9th Ringwraith)

ForgottenLore
26-11-2010, 23:43
The Dwimmerlaik (9th Ringwraith)

Seriously? The fabric store elemental? I was under the impression that was one of the least popular ringwraiths.

To each his own I suppose.

Khamul
27-11-2010, 18:36
I love his model, and he's a Ringwraith I can use without it being to unfair for my fellow players! In SBG his rules are great, and in WOTR I normally play against epic heavy forces.

tezdal
28-11-2010, 05:52
My favorite is the Erkenbrand on foot model, and the Rohan heroes in general.

IllidanStormrage
28-11-2010, 17:29
I agree the rohan models are all very interesting!

Codsticker
28-11-2010, 21:50
My only complaint about he Rohan models are that the horses' tongues are all modeled over the bit; that explains why they are running around with their mouth open and their tongues stuck out to the side.:eyebrows:

ForgottenLore
28-11-2010, 21:58
I'm actually not that fond of the Rohan models. They are nice sculpts but just a little too bland and ho-hum for my tastes.

spiderman5z
29-11-2010, 04:19
the golden king of harad. How can u not love a guy being carried by fat dudes?

destroyerlord
29-11-2010, 13:54
Galadriel has by far been my favorite model from any system to paint so far. Simply amazing (although Durburz, the Goblin King comes close second).
As for regular troops I think Warriors of Minas Tirith are my favorite. I guess its just the massed ranks of 'knights in shining armour' look. I really like the detailing on their helms and shields though.
Bilbo is an amazing sculpt too, looks exactly like the actor in the face, and has perfect proportions.

Azzarath the Soul Keeper
30-11-2010, 00:56
the balrog of course

lotrchampion
30-11-2010, 11:28
Breaking of the Fellowship Aragorn:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1060227

And for Warriors, it's got to be the Variags of Khand:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat460031a&prodId=prod1090027

Just wish they did them in plastic...

Spider-pope
30-11-2010, 16:14
Personally my favourite is Denethor. The level of detail and accuracy achieved on that model is astounding, he looks exactly like John Noble.

Codsticker
01-12-2010, 04:12
The level of detail and accuracy achieved on that model is astounding, he looks exactly like John Noble.

Yeah, that's a good call purely on that.

zhu bajie
03-12-2010, 20:41
Tough one. I'm going to plum for Sauron on his throne from the original 80's ME range. The throne is awesome - twisted snakes and dragons and naked people topped off with a giant eyeball.

picture of Sauron on his throne (http://realmofzhu.blogspot.com/2010/06/lord-of-rings-minis-from-white-dwarf-67.html)

destroyerlord
04-12-2010, 09:28
That is a pretty sweet Sauron model there zhu bajie. I'm not really familiar with any of the classic range but from what I had seen I wasn't very impressed. That Sauron is a really great concept though. :)

Elflover94
08-12-2010, 18:05
I like the Castellans of Dol Guldur models I think they look great!

zhu bajie
08-12-2010, 21:49
@destroyerlord. Hey, glad you liked the Sauron. It is cool. There's not much in the old 80's line that would appeal to a new-line LoTR fan, but it has some shining examples of 80's style minis if you're into that sort of thing - and there are quite a few of us who are! The hobbits are especially nice, a bit slimmer than the current Warhammer halflings, but mix in well - far too cartoony for LoTR use tho...

So my winners for new LoTR are the Halfling Archers! Amazing detail, perfect costume design, great poses.

Whitwort Stormbringer
09-12-2010, 23:25
I'm going bend the rules and list a favorite hero and warrior model each for both good and evil.

Good
My favorite hero model by far is Thranduil. I love the design, the pose is very regal (if not especially dynamic), and he's full of detail. I also think he and Cirdan are the only figures that aren't based on anyone appearing in the films but still maintain a lot of character and facial expression. Other non-film characters appear a bit bland or generic in the face.

My favorite good warrior model/group is probably the hobbit archers, too. I love hobbits as it is, and the archers are the best of the range in my opinion. However, I also really like the unarmored Dunedain (maybe the count as heroes?) and the Rohan Royal Guard. Hard to make a definitive call on this one.

Evil
I think my favorite hero model for evil has to be the Knight of Umbar - I really love the Numenorean design on his armor, the pose is cool, and he's very sinister looking. If not him then definitely The Necromancer, though.

For evil warriors, I have a tie between one of the first-run metal orc models and one of the first-run metal goblin models. My favorite orc is the one running, carrying a club and shield with his shield raised up to protect his head. My favorite goblin is the one with the sword raised and the mail hood with his face exposed.

Honorable mentions go to Radagast the Brown, Guardians of the Fountain Court, Morannon Orcs, and the Warg Chieftan.

Really, though, almost all of the LotR models are pretty good, there are only a few exceptions that I especially dislike.

Shnerg
21-12-2010, 16:39
The Dwarf Kings models, and the Easterling models.

Adyger
21-12-2010, 19:11
Well, of all the ringwraiths, I love the pose of the tainted on his horse. Very creepy and a bit notalgic to boot. For warriors, I really like the fighting Uruk-hai. i don't know what it is, but I relaly enjoy them. They were my first painted army and I love the whole white hands thing.

For the forces of good, I love the Aragorn from Amon head, with his knife blade and all. I think it is a great model (although I am quite partial to the new Arwen and the newer galadriel).
For warriors, my favourite would have to be the plastic rangers. I also really enjoyed painting them and was very pleased with how they look.

wilsongrahams
22-12-2010, 18:31
Mine would have to be Glorfindel in armour from the White Council boxed set. Great sculpt.

Hammer49
23-12-2010, 11:55
I like arwen on horse, and the wood elf warriors.

Zogash
23-12-2010, 17:05
My favourite models for the Good side are Gandalf on Shadowfax and unarmoured Glorfindel (both foot and mounted are awesome).
The worst by far are Elrond, Master of Rivendell (I thought Elves were supposed to be beautiful, not mongoloids...) the old Elladan and Elrohir models (way too apeish/cartooney for me), and the new mounted Faramir (gruesome model... *shudder*). And while I like the Warriors of Rohan models per se, the quality of their cast is horrible, with huge mold-lines running right across faces, etc. I find them extremely hard to paint up to any standard when their faces are molded as a complete mess...

On the Evil side, the best is a three-way-tie between the generic Ringwraiths, the Balrog (of course :p), and the Knight of Umbar, who I would, however, play as counts-as Gothmog - the notion of an Orc being second-in-command of Sauron's army is, frankly, ridiculous. It is far more likely to have been either another Ringwraith or a black Numenorean, like the Mouth of Sauron (minus the stupidly-oversized mouth).
The worst, IMO, is Kârdush the Firecaller (Go to Warhammer, will ya!). An honourable (or not...) mention goes to the Mordor Orcs, which aren't that bad themselves, but their lack of different poses is quite annoying. It's quite tough to picture a ragtag horde of filthy Orcs when they somehow all look more or less the same.

But, as a whole, the amount of nicely-sculpted miniatures greatly outweighs the number of screw-ups, IMO. :)

LOTRCROWN
26-12-2010, 22:03
Hmmmmm now i have 2 favorates 1) bilbo baggins spot on mini really in every way & 2) fellowship Gandalf whats not to like about him . . . .

as for worst mini ever made in the range well . . . . . . alot of people have said the monkey twins (1st sculpt of elronds boys) over the years but i quite like them for me its some of the newer stuff like the dwarf kings champion ,totally pointless and nothing to to with the books or film for that matter its just GW making it up

ForgottenLore
26-12-2010, 23:55
the newer stuff like the dwarf kings champion ,totally pointless and nothing to to with the books or film for that matter its just GW making it up

That doesn't really have anything to do with the quality of the miniature, though I suppose it can influence your perception of it.

Personally I think the King's champion is one (three?) of the coolest figs in the line, though probably not my favorite. If I remotely played Dwarves or had a bunch of money to spare I would totally get one (trio) just to put on a shelf for pure attractiveness.

Sludgehammer
22-01-2011, 16:27
any of the hobbits
Fatty specifically

HRM
22-01-2011, 18:33
The generic Ringwraiths, or the mounted Aragorn from "Warg Attack".

For troops, I really love the High Elf cohort.