PDA

View Full Version : starblazers(space battleship yamato) revival 2010

mughi3
25-11-2010, 00:15
I am stoked. starblazers was the show that got me into anime back in about 1980 when i was just a kid.

The original series aired in 1974 and this is the first modern update using state of the art CG. they are releasing 2 versions-the animated film takes place at the current point in the timeline(17 years after the last movie) while a second live action movie does a re-telling of the original series.

I already have a copy of the animated version, and i am looking forward to the live action.

Animated trailer-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y1mOMWDIsg&NR=1

Live action trailer-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJhJHoHUvX4

Rabid Bunny 666
25-11-2010, 01:39
The live action one looks amazing, the anime one is... a little off. I'll keep my eye on this to see if it eventually comes out in Blighty.

El_Machinae
25-11-2010, 15:28
We've had the necessary leap in special effects. This, and BSG, let us really enjoy the aesthetics of the space vessels. B5 was an excellent show, but the visuals were not quite there, yet.

I've heard that there's a Macross movie where the SDFs are fighting each other. I've tried to find the battles on youtube, but no luck yet.

nagash66
25-11-2010, 15:47
WoW the movie version looks very very good.

mughi3
25-11-2010, 16:32
We've had the necessary leap in special effects. This, and BSG, let us really enjoy the aesthetics of the space vessels. B5 was an excellent show, but the visuals were not quite there, yet.

I've heard that there's a Macross movie where the SDFs are fighting each other. I've tried to find the battles on youtube, but no luck yet.

Your probably thinking of the last episode of the macross frontier tv series. the newest one. they had a large budget and lots of CGI. it's great.

Ah here is a music video version of the battle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEa2RDYJEfo&feature=related

As for B5, it was a great show and it pretty much laid the ground work for modern CGI in TV. hell when they started they had a bunch of LAN linked commodore amiga's doing the graphics. by the 4th season on they really got good at it. Of course the thing about B5 that set it apart aside from the ground breaking visual effects, was at it's heart a good story.

El_Machinae
25-11-2010, 18:57
Yeah, thanks.
In the trailer in the OP, it looks like there's an SDF-style cannon blast, too.

Flame Boy
25-11-2010, 23:23
This is good news as far as I'm concerned, but the version I watched was a PAL version called "Space Cruiser Yamato", so if this gets a western release, adaptaing to the "Startblazers" thing will feel strange, the US version had all the characters renamed. :p

Codsticker
29-11-2010, 20:04
Amazing... I remember this show from when I was a kid; I loved the idea of battleships in space. :D

theunwantedbeing
29-11-2010, 22:09
Okay, that looks awesome despite being basically just a boat that's in space.
Space-battleships just aren't as awesome as space pirate-ships.

Wave motion gun?
Very cool the way it's fired, overly dramatic and long winded in exactly the way some sort of hyper powerful energy beam should be :)