PDA

View Full Version : Slann/Wizards in 2nd Rank, and Magical Vortices

H33D
25-11-2010, 07:13
If a Slann or any other Wizard that is in the 2nd rank of a unit for whatever reason decides to cast a spell that is a magical vortex spell, is the template placed in base contact with the wizard still? I ask because this would case the models in front of said Wizard to be affected by the spell, making the Lore of Death a less appealing choice for a Slann. Has this been FAQ'd?

McBaine
25-11-2010, 07:39
There was no FAQ for this. The rules make no mention of an exception. So the template is indeed placed in base contact with the Wizard and would affect models in the frontrow.
It's only a problem for the Slann I think. The only other Wizards who may placed in second ranks are Bretonnian maidens, and they have no option for vortex spells.
Every other Wizard who is not in the front row uses a loophole in the Char and units section and deserves nothing less than the wipeout of his entire first rank through the vortex spell.

Avian
25-11-2010, 07:42
Sorry, could you repeat that last part, I didn't quite hear it. There's a heap of goblins laughing over here. :D

H33D
25-11-2010, 07:49
I feared as much. We house ruled it last game, placing the Vortex in base contact with the front of the unit instead of the Slann (my opponent was Lizardmen). This worked out great especially when he crushed himself. My generosity was rewarded. :)

McBaine
25-11-2010, 08:19
Sorry, could you repeat that last part, I didn't quite hear it. There's a heap of goblins laughing over here.

Well, I guess it could also happen if you got a bunch of cheap goblin heros (or other) to fill your front row^^ But you know what i meant ;)

Lord_Elric
25-11-2010, 09:40
Does a vortex spell not require LOS?? therefore as the slann in second rank uses the models in front LOS it would be placed in base contact with the models directly infront of him? that how i read it anyway

Guanyin
25-11-2010, 09:46
Does a vortex spell not require LOS?? therefore as the slann in second rank uses the models in front LOS it would be placed in base contact with the models directly infront of him? that how i read it anyway

A vortex spell doesn't have a target, so for what reason, and to what, would it require Line of Sight? A vortex spell is placed in contact with the wizard casting it, making purple sun a costly spell for a slann in a temple guard unit.

Lord_Elric
25-11-2010, 10:53
A vortex spell doesn't have a target, so for what reason, and to what, would it require Line of Sight? A vortex spell is placed in contact with the wizard casting it, making purple sun a costly spell for a slann in a temple guard unit.

According to the chart in the back for the brb a magical vortex spell Requires LOS Therefore as models in the second rank use the models infront of then for arc of sight and Los then the vortex template would be placed using there LOS so in base contact with the models directly infront of it

narrativium
25-11-2010, 11:28
Using another model's arc of sight and line of sight isn't the same as using their base as 'in base contact'. The template is placed in base contact with the caster and moved from there, just as you measure all spell ranges from the caster's base, not the base of the non-caster in front of him.

Lord_Elric
25-11-2010, 11:39
Using another model's arc of sight and line of sight isn't the same as using their base as 'in base contact'. The template is placed in base contact with the caster and moved from there, just as you measure all spell ranges from the caster's base, not the base of the non-caster in front of him.

hmmm i guess that it true indeed :shifty:yet anothing thing to add to the faq list surely its not RAI for the slann to hit his own unit with any kind of spell so best discuss it with ure opponent (if you ever take death on a slan??) until it is (but probably not) faq'd

Kevlar
25-11-2010, 12:08
Slann has special rules for being in the second rank though doesn't he? Like his palanquin floats him above the unit giving him clear line of sight? (Which everyone has in 8th edition from the second rank anyway).

Tregar
25-11-2010, 12:09
Here's how it works: place the template in contact with the front of the slann's base.

The end.

a18no
25-11-2010, 14:18
Oh no, there's a drawback to the most powerfull mage build (non special character) who got the best protection for free (behing in the second rank of a good rank and file unit for no cost at all)...

Seriously guy, don't try to make an exception, the rule is very clear, and yes it can hurt you.

Tregar
25-11-2010, 14:19
...and no you can't cast Burning Head from the second rank either, nyaaaah! :P

Kevlar
25-11-2010, 15:12
Ah well, don't all slann take lore of life anyway? Dwellers can most certainly be cast from the second rank.

Lord_Elric
25-11-2010, 16:06
Ah well, don't all slann take lore of life anyway? Dwellers can most certainly be cast from the second rank.

yeh i thought that myself why would you give a slann the one lore in the brb with the least range (except for Ps obviously)

Kudzu
25-11-2010, 16:19
Oh no, there's a drawback to the most powerfull mage build (non special character) who got the best protection for free (behing in the second rank of a good rank and file unit for no cost at all)...

Seriously guy, don't try to make an exception, the rule is very clear, and yes it can hurt you.

Show us on the doll where the mean old frog touched you...

Grey Mage
26-11-2010, 04:59

You should have seen the ones in sixth edition if your even considering bitching about the ones from 7th. Very, very, toned down.

That being said, thats why my LoD Slann is Ethereal and rockin a 2++.

mishari26
26-11-2010, 10:27
There was no FAQ for this. The rules make no mention of an exception. So the template is indeed placed in base contact with the Wizard and would affect models in the frontrow.
It's only a problem for the Slann I think. The only other Wizards who may placed in second ranks are Bretonnian maidens, and they have no option for vortex spells.
Every other Wizard who is not in the front row uses a loophole in the Char and units section and deserves nothing less than the wipeout of his entire first rank through the vortex spell.

umm... there are two ways I know in which a wizard can be placed in the 2nd rank of a unit, 1 is perfectly legal, and the other, is very loopholic:

1- If the unit's front row is occupied by a full command and enough characters, (example, 5-wide, full command, 2 characters in front, then the wizard being a 3rd character can choose to go to the 2nd rank. p.97 under "Position In Unit", perfectly clear and no ambiguity there)

2- Some people claimed that in some tournaments this tactic has been used, when you perform a "Reform" maneuver, there's nothing that states that a character must be placed in the front rank, so they place their characters however they wish wherever they wish. This in my view is extremely loopholic and against the RAI.

But still the 1st method is very legal (and intended) as far as I can tell. requires quite a hefty investment in characters too.

dam goblins heh