PDA

View Full Version : Choose Engel's Next Vehicle!

Inquisitor Engel
28-05-2005, 22:45
Well, the time as come to part with my 98 Range Rover - The gas milage is just too low, and its inability to take anything but Premium is just too much. Gas prices being what they are I just can't deal with it now.

Oh, and yes, I am aware those of you residing in the UK that US Gas Prices would be a steal and only wish they could pay $2.20 a gallon, so Ł1.50ish, which is around 21 Pence per Litre)

So I have decided that I will indeed take a car payment. I'm through swimming, so I've got time for a job now, ample time. I get paid $8.05 an hour and during the summer I'm doing over 40 hours a week, and during the school year I can manage 20.

All prices are MSRP, so I that's the max I'll be paying. I'll be trying to go for 0%APR and doing a $10-15,000 downpayment from my car and some savings.

Now, onto the options -

2005 Mazda RX-8: Sporty beyond all belief, a bit shaky to drive compared to the others, AC is spectacular, and the steering is responsive and smooth. The controls are are all well laid out and make sense. It's easily the best looking of the cars. Two full doors and a two half doors make it cheap on insurance and the centre console that runs all the way back is kind of cool. Oh, and it looks fantastic, inside and out.

On the downside it only takes premium, but it gets closer to 30 MPG, which makes it immediately half as expensive to run than my Range Rover.

Also the most expensive at $25,689 for the options I want.

More info and pictures: http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/handleHomeFlash.action?vehicleCode=RX8&modelYear=2005

2005 Mazda 3 - Much cheaper and 4 doors. Also gets around 35 miles per gallon, and takes bog standard 87 Octane unleaded, which makes it unfathomably cheaper for me to run. It's 4 doors, roomy and comfy. The words that make describe it best is 'nifty.'

It's $18,735 for mine with options, so it's much cheaper. I'd be going with the 4 door model. S Model. (Middle model)

It looks decent, it's just not got all that pazazz. It's "youthfully sensible."

More info and pictures: http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/handleHomeFlash.action?vehicleCode=MZ3&modelYear=2005

2005 Scion tC: Scion makes two cars that I think look really, really silly. The xA is a girlie mini-minivan, and the xB is a box on wheels.

The tC is better looking. This is cheap, I can get a fully loaded one for $20,560. Subwoofer, interior lights, everything I want. It's dirt cheap on insurance, and it's decent looking, but unique enough for some people to notice it from time to time. The rear seats RECLINE as well as fold over and it has tons of luggage space.

It gets 28ish MPG and takes regular octane gas, so it's not too bad.

It's a nice car, but not my favourite out of the list. It is however the least expensive on Insurance.

More info and pictures: http://www.scion.com/showroom/tc/gallery/

2005 Ford Mustang: This car look... well it looks awesome. There's a couple of issues. It's not got the greatest interior, and the radio is a little blah, but sounds VERY nice. It turns heads without a doubt.

There's a problem. Everyone who can afford one, owns one, especially College Kids and High School kids, especially ones whose parents fork it out for them.

There's a massive blind spot, and it feels like you're driving a MUCH bigger car than you're actually driving. I'd be getting a coupe Deluxe and not a GT. It's already the second highest on insurance (RX-8 being the highest) so I'm not sure. Lacks luggage space, small back seat.

More info and pictures: http://www.fordvehicles.com/cars/mustang/

2005 Mini Cooper : We all know what this is. Or you should. The regular coupe, which is the one I'd be getting. Blue with a nice big Union Jack on top. The one I want ends up being around $21,825 and is pretty much fully loaded as far as accessories go, but with some minor adjustments to the wheels and some trim bits.

Racing stripes too.

It gets an astounding 35 mpg, regular gas, so I'm told. The downside is that in the US, unless you are unabashadly cool, as a male, you can't pull it off. So I'm hesitant. I haven't test driven it yet, so we'll see when I get back from the UK in a couple of weeks.

More info and pictures: http://www.miniusa.com/crm/load_mini.jsp

Apart from the Mini, it'll either be silver or gunmetal grey (think 'Boltgun Silver' ;)) No navigation systems on them at all, but nice decent and colourful options on them all.

So, what thinks you all?

alterion
28-05-2005, 22:52
umm i'm only 16 but don't cars lose like 25% of thier value in the first year .. why not go for a 2-3 year old one and seave yourself loads of dough

Inquisitor Engel
28-05-2005, 23:01
umm i'm only 16 but don't cars lose like 25% of thier value in the first year .. why not go for a 2-3 year old one and seave yourself loads of dough

Because then they likely don't come with a warranty by that point, and milage is bad. You also don't know what's wrong with it, what's gone wrong, what's been fixed. People don't tell you if they've had to fix the AC or the suspension.

And the 05 Mustang and 3 are new bodystyles, the RX-8 is new for 04 (And doesn't devalue more than a couple of grand apparently) and the tC is new for 05. The Mini Cooper is also new as of 2004.

tzeentchgiant
28-05-2005, 23:12
RX-8 hands down, you gotta look good for the ladies ;) .

Seriously though, that's by far the best looking car on the list (i was going to use the phrase shaggadelic, but there may be children present)

Good luck affording it

TG

Kjell
28-05-2005, 23:17
Mazda RX-8, simply because it's the car that Alternator Shockwave is based on. That's all the reason you'll ever need, right there, baby. ;)

Xhalax
28-05-2005, 23:23
Go for the mini.

Although they're not mini anymore, which is a shame....I still love the make.

And if you do get it, then if I ever witness you near it I can happily punch you coz of it. For seeing a mini always earns you a punch should you be too slow to call it.

angelspast
28-05-2005, 23:24
Well if you're dead set on spending lots of money I'd say the the RX looks like a pretty neat little car ;) .

My suggestion though would be to look at Toyota pickups :D You can lug about several tons of crap, they drive to about 300k miles, and get great milage. Oh and they cost less :p

Kittah
29-05-2005, 00:24
RX-8, hands down.

Wish I had the money to spend on an RX-8.... :(

Shuya
29-05-2005, 00:33
Carvar :D it leans !!!!!!!

but i would say ford i mean its a classic!

m1s1n
29-05-2005, 01:36
The RX-8 has a rotary engine, which I understand to be difficult to work on. Not that you have expressed interest on working on the car--but if something does go wrong with it there is the potential for an added cost on this.

I like all the choices you've listed. Honestly, I think you could pull off a mini. They're becoming so trendy that at least where I've lived (California, Oregon, and Montana) they are not really seen as "girly". Additionally, they have a great price and great mileage.

Ultimately it is up to you. Ever thought about getting a hybrid? Like the hybrid Civics or Toyotas?

Delicious Soy
29-05-2005, 01:51
If you want something larghely based on looks, go with the mustang. The RX-8 bears an excessive resemblance to a penis.

NaT
29-05-2005, 02:37
RX-8, rotor!

'Nuff said.

Serpent
29-05-2005, 05:50
Whichever feels safest to be in. You talk about the "blind spot" in the Mustang and how comparably uncomfy the RX-8 was.

The car that pollutes the least, I'd say. Don't mind the looks of it. If you need a car to pick up women... (Nah, I'll just leave the insult hanging in the air. ;) )

Serpent

DisruptorX
29-05-2005, 06:01
The RX-8 is an awesome, awesome car. You are a spoiled bastard to get to drive one, and I hate you. :p

That said, I voted 2005 mustang, that thing is beautiful, it is the only car in the last decade or more to have a design that is really damn cool (prowler aside)

Brimstone
29-05-2005, 06:02
RX-8 come on it's got a Wankel engine.

Plus is a very very nice car.

Who cares about the complicated engine, if you have to do that much work on a new car then without the warrenty kicking in then you have a problem.

Not the mini it's a girly car.

alterion
29-05-2005, 09:08
kk.. i don;t know much about cars so thnks for the reply.. in that case go for the sexeh rx-8

Kittah
29-05-2005, 10:59
Who cares about the complicated engine, if you have to do that much work on a new car then without the warrenty kicking in then you have a problem.

Of course, the RX-8's engine is no ordinary rotary - it's a RENESIS. That and the fact you're not dealing with forced induction in the way of a turbo means the engine isn't nearly as complicated as other common rotary engines.

I think that a lot of the flak rotaries get for breaking down and being complicated to fix is because of the popularity of porting the engines - meaning that the engine wears a lot more and is forced to do a lot more than it was made for.

Of course, you have to upgrade your exhaust system for better flow and more noise - you can't starve pedestrians of that beautiful rotary sound as you drive past :D

Great Harlequin
29-05-2005, 11:28
I'd either go for the RX-8 or the Ford Mustang. But I have voted for the Mustang because it's just that little bit cheaper on insurance ;)

Ouroboros
29-05-2005, 12:45
Have you looked at a Cobalt SS or Dodge SRT-4 yet?

They're both wrong wheel drive but other than that they're pretty nice cars that seem to be what you're after and they're cheap even when brand new.

Personally though I wouldn't ever buy a brand new car. If you're willing to buy a car a year or two old you could end up with something a lot nicer than any of these for that 25k you're willing to spend on a new RX8. You might even be able to land an older C5 Corvette for around that money if you look hard enough. I hear that GM is also slashing the prices on the older GTOs pretty heavily now that the new ones with the better motor are coming out.

Make depreciation work for you.

Of course if you must have a new car you could always just wait a year (http://www.saturn.com/saturn/showroom/future_vehicles/sky.jsp?nav=710&flashOK=yes) to.

Fusion
29-05-2005, 13:07
Engel, we all know cars aren't going to be around much longer...

...sooooo get yourself a Norco DH Team and watch the ladies flock to you!

Wooooo, go Hadley hubs...!

ps- I may or may not be drunk at this point in time. If it so happens that I am, then It's amazingly good typing on my behald. Or so it seems now. Now being 10.06 EST, Melbourne.

SO there.

Thirdeye
29-05-2005, 13:35
RX-8: Yeah, cool car. I had an ’84 RX-7. Great car, sleek, cool, fast and fun, until I wrapped it around a pole… The passive rear-wheel steer doesn’t work so good on wet pavement.

I was look’en at an 8 myself not too long ago. The rotory is a great engine: powerful, small, light-weight. Its actually less complicated than a standard piston engine, less moving parts. But the only one who’ll work on it is the dealer, not that you’ll need it, not for the first 60,000 miles anyway. After that it’s hard to say. Rotories are known for compression problems with high(ish) miles. But Mazda has been working on the problem and this new engine should perform better than the earlier versions. Rotories are also notorious gas guzzlers. “Close to 30MPG”, believe me, you’ll get a lot closer with a piston four.

Re-sale is likely to be low. Whatever the reality the perception is high mile rotories are trouble. And the styling, while exciting, lacks classic lines and so will become dated quickly.

Mazda 3: Good car, cheep, fun, nice. Sure, it lacks that certain pizzazz, maybe a bit too practical, but if you’re young and still in school you don’t want to be saddled with an oppressive car payment. Re-sale is also likely to be good, assuming Mazda’s reputation doesn’t take a nose-dive.

Scion tC: Looks like a cool car but I haven’t really studied it so I can’t say.

’05 Mustang: Another cool car. I like the retro style but let’s face it, the muscle car is dead. If ya get the v8 you’re an idiot, and if ya don’t then you’re settling for a want’a be. Either way the re-sale is likely to be bad.

’05 Cooper: Cute little car, maybe too cute and little. The new ones are certainly better than the old ones (have to be), but I believe Consumer Reports still gives it bad marks. I would think it would be better for around town then on the highway but a friend of mine drove hers from Ohio to California and back, no problem.

I’ll always have a soft spot for these cars because of the movie “Italian Job” (the original with Michael Cain not the stupid re-made), I just don’t see myself driving one.

What about a Mazda 6? It’s a nice midway point between the 8 and the 3. I almost got one myself but I had the $ so I went with an Acura TSX. My first choice was a Honda S2000, but with a wife and kids that would have been impractical and a bit self-indulgent.

Inquisitor Engel
29-05-2005, 17:04
That Sky does look neat, but I'll need a new one before I leave home for school at the end of the summer unfortunately. Thanks all, keep voting. And commenting. :p

RX-8: Yeah, cool car. I had an ’84 RX-7. Great car, sleek, cool, fast and fun, until I wrapped it around a pole… The passive rear-wheel steer doesn’t work so good on wet pavement.

That's a shame. Those were really fun. Finding an old one is hard. They're quite expensive still.

Rotories are also notorious gas guzzlers. “Close to 30MPG”, believe me, you’ll get a lot closer with a piston four.

Hmm. I'll take that into consideration. Much as I love the way it looks and drives (I think the bumpyness could just be me being used to not feeling anything in my Range...) the Premium only and the gas milage is a serious downside to it.

And the styling, while exciting, lacks classic lines and so will become dated quickly.

That's another fear. It's very stylish now but we all know how fast the auto-industry's idea of 'cool' changes... Look at the old Mustang now, and a 98 Camaro compared to a 2001.

but if you’re young and still in school you don’t want to be saddled with an oppressive car payment. Re-sale is also likely to be good, assuming Mazda’s reputation doesn’t take a nose-dive.

I'm leaning towards a 3 in many ways, but all options are still open really. My parents really like it, and I'd certainly be happy with it. That said, it's not the greatest chick magnet. ;)

Mustang ... Either way the re-sale is likely to be bad.

Probably. I expect the body style will remain the same for a while, but Mustangs aren't known for holding their value well at all.

The Italian Job (the original with Michael Cain not the stupid re-made),

Obviously. ;) He's just better. Oh, and the film actually TAKES PLACE in Italy... and yeah. The remake is on my boycott list.

What about a Mazda 6? It’s a nice midway point between the 8 and the 3. I almost got one myself but I had the $ so I went with an Acura TSX.

I drove it, I didn't really like it. It seemed a little too "grown up" for me on the inside, and for the price difference, I'd rather have the 3. It looks more youthful and fun. But that's just me. ;)

Beefstick
29-05-2005, 17:04
Out of those choices, the mustang is the way to go. The mustang is wicked sexy, especially with those Shelby style headlights. Nice in the gunmetal grey wtih racing striped. The lines on the RX-7 were great, and the upgrades available kicked ass. Not so much on the RX-8 tho. The cooper is too cute, convince your girlfriend to get one. The other cars are too responsible. You should also consider the Dodge Charger (http://www.dodge.com/charger/?pid=10665864&adid=12939057&rid=0) on your short list. A little work on it, and it will be balls to the wall! :evilgrin:

palmerantony
29-05-2005, 17:35
The Mazda 3, I don't know why I like it but it's the one that drew me most. And it's cheap.

Go for the sensible, intelligent angle ;)

Yay, 1 person agreed with me on the poll :)

Crazy Harborc
30-05-2005, 02:36
I would go for the Mustang. I doubt you'll be able to have a Mustang for a "family" car in a few years. Who knows what transportation choices will be in 10 to 15 years.

Another way to look at the choices.........What does your heart want? What will you be able to spend on gasoline? Where is the vehicle made? Ford and GMC need the business.......are any of those workers friends or relatives of you OR your friends?

Your education won't mean squat if the economy hits bottom and starts digging.

daemonhuntermoe
30-05-2005, 03:29
mustang. although if it were any car, I'd go for an NSX or one of those new porches. just my opinion. go for mustang.

Wiseman
30-05-2005, 05:27
go for the RX-8, a real nice care id own one if i had the money, though my friend has one already so id probably be accused of copying