PDA

View Full Version : Wizarding Hat + Armor

Jericho
25-11-2010, 16:33
So, the rules for this sort of thing always cause problems.

When WoC came out, many people were arguing that Sorcs couldn't take magic armor/shields, since the rule allowing it was fairly buried in the book. I still haven't seen anything that says Vampires can wear armor and cast spells, but then again I haven't looked since the book came out.

So, how does this all affect the Wizarding Hat in 8th? Does it matter if the character had the armor automatically? Can he buy mundane/magic armor and use the hat at the same time? I don't think I've seen someone else ask this before (forgive me if it has).

SkawtheFalconer
25-11-2010, 16:35
I would imagine it has no effect, as I don't believe it strictly confers the status of a wizard and just means the user can cast a spell? that's certainly the way I used to treat the comparable WOC item (Book of Secrets?)

Eta
25-11-2010, 16:38
I would imagine it has no effect, as I don't believe it strictly confers the status of a wizard and just means the user can cast a spell? that's certainly the way I used to treat the comparable WOC item (Book of Secrets?)

It does confer the status of a "wizard", just as well as the Book of Secrets makes you a lvl 1 wizard.

Tregar
25-11-2010, 16:55
If he can buy armour, then he can buy armour. Simple as.

Malorian
25-11-2010, 17:02
The main issue is that they have the option to get mundane armor so is has no effect on them casting spells.

And from a RAI point of view, the item would be useless if the noly worthwhile models to give it to could use it due to their armor (in a lot of cases that they start with).

Palatine Katinka
25-11-2010, 17:11
Nothing stops a wizard from casting in armour that he starts with or armour that his army list allows. Wizards that neither start with armour nor have a stated option for armour cannot have magic armour. A character with the wizard hat can still use armour allowed by his army list or armour he starts with and, if he has the option for normal armour, he can take magic armour.

BRB p.172 has the relevant rules under "Magical Interference". Most importantly the second paragraph.

PS: Vampires are allowed Magic Armour because a well hidden rule in their Magic Items section says all Vampires are allowed Magic Armour. It's well hidden but it is there.

Whitehorn
25-11-2010, 17:51
Wasn't the rule simply 'lost in time' and replaced by wizards simply not being able to buy armour normally?

Warp-Juicer
25-11-2010, 18:07
Repeating the general Message: If they're allowed to buy armor normally, Wizards can buy armor.

too many people going "DERP YOUR SORCERER STARTS THE GAME NOT ABLE TO CAST SPELLS!" and "Derp you bought barding for your horse? YOU CANT CAST SPELLS!"

Jericho
25-11-2010, 18:13
Please note the lack of "Derp" and the precence of capital letters, punctuation, and proper grammar in my posts. Thanks.

I was just clarifying, as I saw a number of people talking about builds/combos involving the Hat and I didn't bring my leather-bound BRB to the office with me today. I just wanted to make sure I was on the right page. As we all know, common sense and Warhammer rules don't always mix (anyone who has read through all the different versions of the FAQ's recently will agree I'm sure!) :)

Tregar
25-11-2010, 19:05
What's common sense got to do with anything? All we have are arbitrary rules about magic. There's no common sense to be had here!

Malorian
25-11-2010, 19:14
What's common sense got to do with anything? All we have are arbitrary rules about magic. There's no common sense to be had here!

My wizard hat and that burning cat disagree with you...

T10
26-11-2010, 08:06
If he can buy armour, then he can buy armour. Simple as.

Yes.

-T10

Cypher
26-11-2010, 08:18
Wasn't the rule simply 'lost in time' and replaced by wizards simply not being able to buy armour normally?
It hasnt existed for a number of editions - cant remember precisely which edition (thinking 4th or 5th was the last to have it), but it's a good while since its been an actual rule.

Chris_
26-11-2010, 08:45
A character that has mundane armour as options can buy magic/mundane armour no matter if he is/becomes a wizard or not.

Nakhar
26-11-2010, 09:05
With one small exception, that if a character can't use mundane shield, he can't use the magic ones as well.
It was FAQ in WoC where chaos wizs could use magic ones although they can't use the mundane version.

Chris_
26-11-2010, 09:24
With one small exception, that if a character can't use mundane shield, he can't use the magic ones as well.
It was FAQ in WoC where chaos wizs could use magic ones although they can't use the mundane version.Please give a reference. I see no such requirement. A wizard that can wear mundane armour can take any kind of item from the Magic Armour section, including shields even though their mundane armour options do not include shield.

Archangelion
26-11-2010, 10:22
Page 500 of the CRB (large book)

"...most Wizards cannot wield the Winds of Magic if they wear armour of any kind... The only exception to this is when a Wizard has armour as part of his standard equipment or an option for 'normal' armour, such as light armour, or a shield. Such sorcerers have trained their mind to focus and can wear armour without confusion or penalty."

So yes, if you character may noramaly take armour in their profile, then wearing the Wizarding Hat will not make that character unable to wear armour or cast spells if they are already wearing armour, as per the rules.

Tregar
26-11-2010, 11:03

Leave this thinking in 7th edition where it belongs.

decker_cky
26-11-2010, 17:50
Yes. If you aren't a wizard, you can buy whatever armour you feel like. If you are a wizard with armour options, you can buy whatever armour you feel like.

doddy84
28-11-2010, 01:08
yes he can but it is a 100 points so u cart buy any more magic stuff

Whitehorn
30-11-2010, 10:01
It hasnt existed for a number of editions - cant remember precisely which edition (thinking 4th or 5th was the last to have it), but it's a good while since its been an actual rule.

When you've been playing 20 years, it all merges into one.