PDA

View Full Version : Vampire: tactics counts

Sexiest_hero
26-11-2010, 05:03
Are you tired of people talking about how overpriced and useless the army is. Or to only take ghouls and grave guard. Well so am I. I'll tell you some tips to make they army you want. and make it work.

Drakenhoff banner sucks, everybody has flaming attacks.

Lies all lies.

I use this banner all the time.

I simply add a Necromancer and a fighty vampire (hero or lord) to the mix. Then I toss n the 2+ ward vs flaming attacks. Now I get a 4+ or a 2+, if it's a unit wide ability My heroes sit safe from harm. It's it's on a enemy hero weapon I either challenge or accept with my....... Necromancer.

This is where the fun starts. I give my necro a Potion of Str, and the gem of blood. The gem is for the 1 time they get a flaming wound through, only to have it slammed back in their face on, yep another 2+. With no armor saves mind you. The potion a save for when I can get off Savage beasts giving him 4 str 9 attacks. Of course you can combo your necro anyway you like. Mind razor and fright shroud, or maybe the tasty lore of light. No matter what you do, Your Combat hero will be free to wreck camp while Mr.Flame sword Gets litch-slapped by Nagash incarnate. He comes in at the base cost of a vampire.

You can however use any hero or lord you like. point is these are teo simple very cheap items, that make facing the banner a damned if you do damned if you don't. I just personally like beating people silly with my necromancer.

Tip two. Watch the birdie!

Calvary is dead. Not true...well they are undead sooo. I use blood knights, 12 of them in 2 units of 6. And 20 black knights in 2 units of 10 or 4 units of 5. People stopped using dogs, and such with 8th for some reason. They say you hit a block of stead fast units and they just combat reform to face you.

let's bust this myth for VC now. With our movement spells. It's not hard to get blood knights to the front and black knights in the side. Getting blood knights in the side can be a trick in of itself. They turn to face you, they leave themselves open to a flank by your, Scouting ghouls of danced skeletons. I run my skeletons at five ranks deep. So I will usually break stead-fast. Blood knights to the front black knights to the side. or Blood knights to the side anything in the front. Point is every time somebody removes fast stuff from their lists, It's time to get your danse on.

tip 3 Magic. I use beast lore. I works so good. People expect you to transform, and I do, mind you. but that's usually an "Oh crap I need a lion-goat-dragon...with a snake coming out of it's butt...oh and it flies." kinda thing.

VC Need magic, always have. Remember my first tip. With savage beasts all 3 heroes get +3 attack and str at max casting power. Remember the lore attribute? Watch people reform to face your blood knights and buff your black knights with wild form. with a skull staff lvl 4, you are looking at a +6 to cast on your Knights (and dogs, and bats).

Once I took 4 Vampires with dread knight bsb with hatred banner, and a VC lord with lore of beasts. Along with my Calvary army. Got 24 str9 re rollable hits. Good times. Point is we don't need rez spam as much because our units already have to start out big. Use that magical might to buff your army. you can always fall back on an IoN or summon undead horde if need be.

Tip 4. Sticks and stones will break my bones..but.

People love taking purple son or dwellers below. Then they love to target the biggest unit. same deal with most war machines. Gods no, not my 50 man skeleton horde. Wait horde reminds me. Summon undead horde, K now my skeletons are back. I'll heal what ever else has been wounded too, while I'm at it. My knights say thank you. Now the other player Could try to hit my knights with Sun or dwellers. But they have high str and toughness. and are easy to scatter off off, And can be re-raised, AAAND I have 4-6 units of knights. Oh and they will likely mis-cast to get it off. I like them odds.

last tip. Play chess.

Summoning a unit of zombies to redirect, or lure a unit into range can make them the perfect pawn piece, even with no over run a 6 inch charge is one less danse you have to do to get into combat. Only a fool would try to over run into 50+ unbreakable troops with flanking support. A wind of undeath spirit host can be used to cause all kinds of back field fun. Or take a charge if need be.

Or you could just take GG and ghoul hordes and go "RAAWR" in a straight line.

Grey Mage
26-11-2010, 06:47
As a lizzies player, a summoned spirithost is the bane of my existance- and all my local VC opponents know it to mores the pitty.

Some armies have ready access to magical CC attacks, many do not.

I agree though- black knights seem rather underrated, and have been for years. The simple fact that theyve got a decent armor save and can walk through walls is pretty cool- and the one time I saw them while playing out of town they were lead by a level 2 Vampire Lord on a mount, and he flank marched them around and into combat in the magic phase and started chewing on the unit of halbrediers something awful.

Sexiest_hero
26-11-2010, 14:29
Indeed! The vampire lore is so easy to cast it's silly. With all the new terrain, people tend t avoid them like the plague. SO you have ample room for you black knights and ethereal units to move. The Black knight stat line isn't bad and they are some of the best flankers in the game with their movement ability and Danse.

wilsongrahams
27-11-2010, 17:27
As a veteran counts player, I'd like your advice.

I've never fielded Crypt ghouls before having always been a skeleton and zombie man, but now I have twenty ghouls awaiting building.

Would you recommend building them in two units of ten, or one of twenty? I was leaning towards the two units as the parts kinda dictate one to be a Ghast out of each ten, but some advice is always good to hear first.

Kevlar
27-11-2010, 20:39
As a veteran counts player, I'd like your advice.

I've never fielded Crypt ghouls before having always been a skeleton and zombie man, but now I have twenty ghouls awaiting building.

Would you recommend building them in two units of ten, or one of twenty? I was leaning towards the two units as the parts kinda dictate one to be a Ghast out of each ten, but some advice is always good to hear first.

Well my buddy bought two units and runs them 35-40 strong in a horde formation. 3 ranks of ghouls attacking levels a lot of stuff, and no matter what you hit them with you probably won't get rid of them all. So he spends his magic phase keeping them topped off. put a cheap block of skeletons behind them with a vampire and the weaponskill crown. Tough unit to deal with, and not too expensive. Plenty of points left over for the regenerating grave guard unit.

Sexiest_hero
27-11-2010, 21:32
One unit of 20. Ghouls die easy to bow fire and high I attacks. Things like skaven daemonetts and any kind of elf. Plus you don't waste dice trying to keep up two small units. Don't depend on them too much. You are always one Purple sun, organ gun, or sword master away from a sad face

Marshal Torrick
28-11-2010, 04:43
My experience with ghoul horde vs equal points of demonettes is that eventually the ghouls will grind down the nettes. They are also the bane of elves as many of them will die, but they will drag down a whole buncha' expensive elves with them, then get back up thanks to magic. YMMV, though.

Kevlar
28-11-2010, 13:44
WS7 ghouls are a pain. Most normal stuff is hitting on 5s wounding on 5s. One SUH or a couple IoN and they are back at full str.

wilsongrahams
28-11-2010, 17:22
Thanks guys, one unit of twenty it is then. :-)