PDA

View Full Version : The Torturer's tale

reds8n
26-11-2010, 10:19
Back when GW had their previous site there was an article entitled "The Torturers' Tale" which, pretty much, was the entirety of the Dark Eldar fluff.

It was lost/removed when GW changed their site over, but they've now put it back up in a handy little pdf format, which you can download -- remembering to have logged onto the GW site first of course -- here :
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=14300030a

..I assume the first word is supposed to be "Gideon".

Lord Fatwa
26-11-2010, 10:54
Yes! Great find... Thank you!

I really liked this story... The last thing Vect says, if a little bit contrived and dramatic, is amazing.

chromedog
26-11-2010, 21:52
Where is the article?
I'm logged in, but have not found it - the link just goes to the main page for me.
I've looked through the articles archives and each army articles and not found it.

Sandlemad
26-11-2010, 22:16
Where is the article?
I'm logged in, but have not found it - the link just goes to the main page for me.
I've looked through the articles archives and each army articles and not found it.

Same here, link doesn't work but it's in the 'What's New' and should be up on the Astronomicon. Nice bit of background, he's a proper villain and a rather complex character.

Shards of Basalt
27-11-2010, 02:17
Its almost* a pity that the new Codex seems to have discredited it so much as a source. I wonder if any part of it is still considered "true".

*I prefer the current origins of Commorragh, that one was a little "Lord of the Flies in spaaaaace!"

Idaan
27-11-2010, 09:03
The kids wandering into the Webway is still true, as it's mentioned first hand in "Path of the Warrior". It's just they didn't have to build the whole city from scratch, which frankly was a bit ridiculous.

webba84
27-11-2010, 09:36
Its almost* a pity that the new Codex seems to have discredited it so much as a source. I wonder if any part of it is still considered "true".

I always found one of the parts of that story that was so cool, apart from how well it's written, is that it could just all be a massive lie, it could be Vect's propaganda, it could be talking about someone else, heck, it could even be Vect's own delusion talking, he is supposed to be getting a bit that way upstairs. In any case, it remains one of the best 'summaries' of the whole Dark Eldar theme out there.

Polaria
27-11-2010, 09:44
The direct link to PDF is:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1520304a_TheTorturersTale.pdf

Iracundus
27-11-2010, 10:22
The new Dark Eldar Codex doesn't entirely invalidate Vect's account. It describes Vect as being originally a slave, which he might very well have been if he was captured as a new refugee stumbling into Commorragh. The Tale also describes how they sat in one of the original chambers of the Kabal. Vect was described as founding the first Kabal so him or his followers building a Temple of the Black Heart isn't really contradicted. At the time of his upset of the status quo was a Dracon. Perhaps he didn't dare call himself an Archon at that point because his Kabal still seemed to have been outmatched in raw numbers and power by the existing noble houses.

Perhaps even the original building and founding wasn't entirely contradicted. Vect could have built in a relatively quiet sub-realm first, as the leader of his gang of survivors, only to be later enslaved when the sub-realm is connected or preyed upon by the noble houses.

ryng_sting
27-11-2010, 15:38
The wording implies he left for the webway from an Eldar world after the Fall. If that's changed for him, it's because it's changed for all the DE. They were already in the Dark City when Slaanesh was born; that was how they survived it.

MagosHereticus
27-11-2010, 15:59
The wording implies he left for the webway from an Eldar world after the Fall. If that's changed for him, it's because it's changed for all the DE. They were already in the Dark City when Slaanesh was born; that was how they survived it.

however it is still possible that eldar children survived the fall when all the adults were consumed, we have so little hard details of the event that vects account of the young surviving long enough to escape into the webway being true

Idaan
28-11-2010, 15:03
As noted in the previous post, we have evidence for the children fleeing for the homeworlds. But regardless, it isn't said anywhere that all Dark Eldar are descendants of the the pleasure cultists who were in Commorragh during the Fall - Arhra was originally a Craftworlder, and so are the Outcasts who are "drawn and lost into the Dark City" as the Eldar codex puts it.