PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Thousand Son Models

Harbinger
27-11-2010, 04:58
I am looking t add some TS to my Chaos force, but I am not into the giant headress. So, I am looking for alternate ways to model them, while trying to stay away from being too different/random.

I am assuming the sorcerer in each squad will go a ways to ensuring they are recognizable as TS, but I am looking for other means as well. I have been thinking about skulls in place of the helmets, and trying to paint a glow on them.

Anyone else have any ideas, or should I just resign myself to pointing out that they are TS every game and that I modeled them differently?

Vandelan
27-11-2010, 05:15
You could go with a pre heresy theme, but that would entail painting them in an entirely different color scheme.

Harbinger
27-11-2010, 06:14
You could go with a pre heresy theme, but that would entail painting them in an entirely different color scheme.

The prehersy design was another idea I was thinking if. That would pretty much be just replacing the heads, as both have the kilt/skirt, and adding the sorcerer. I was going to change the color scheme regardless.

Evilgenius
27-11-2010, 10:11
Maxmini Steam Knight range has heads look like the pre heresy heads on the cover of 'A Thousand Sons'.

Jonny_N
27-11-2010, 12:15
Maxmini Steam Knight range has heads look like the pre heresy heads on the cover of 'A Thousand Sons'.

Wow, these look great, I am very tempted to get them along with some of their jump packs!

Aiwass
27-11-2010, 12:29
Awesome TS:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320622502013

Grubnar
27-11-2010, 16:00
Awesome TS:

Wow!
Indeed so.

Latro_
27-11-2010, 17:26
Awesome TS:

omfg those are so gettin bought

thanks

Clang
27-11-2010, 18:15
The fluff is that they're all dead (well, except the sorcerers, presumably), and animated only by Chaotic enchantment, so modelling them as skeletons in decrepit power armour is a fairly easy option - remove random bits of armour to show skulls and other bones underneath.

And some people who like the vaguely Egyptian look but hate the TS 'silly hats' have mixed in WHFB Tomb Kings bits with good results.

Thoth62
27-11-2010, 18:20
Tomb King bits work magically. Personally, I don't have a problem with the current heads, but I did use Ushabti Glaives as power weapons for a Rubric Terminator squad conversion back in the day (when we still had the old codex...).

Born Again
28-11-2010, 00:12
The idea of having skeleton parts showing through their armour is a cool one, if you painted them to look like they had an eerie glow coming from their bones as well.

Awesome TS:

Wow. I'm pretty sure those constitute a copyright breach.

Mini77
28-11-2010, 00:19
They don't have bones though do they? Isn't the armour just full of dust?

Nubl0
28-11-2010, 00:24
Yeh pretty sure there is nothing but dust inside the suits and they are powered by the souls inside, who in turn are kept awake and given direction by the sorcerer leading them.

susu.exp
28-11-2010, 00:47
Wow. I'm pretty sure those constitute a copyright breach.

Iīm pretty sure they donīt. GWs miniatures are protected by design law, not copyright (the original sculpts are ptorected by copyright) and design law has "must match" and "must fit" exceptions pretty much everywhere. I donīt think they fall under the LEGO laws (exceptions to these exceptions for modular systems). You can get no-name ink cartridges for your printer and body kits for cars (or even engine modifications allowing you to use bio-diesel) through the same legal mechanism.

And if youīre looking at models: Check some military scale modeling catalogs. You will find upgrade kits for specific other kits made by different manufacturers (For instance Tamiya do a 1:35 scale M-4, Legend and Eduardo do conversion kits for this kit). As these cases show (both note that they are designed specifically to be used with the Tamiya) and as your no-name ink cartridge does note for which brand of printer they are suited, there are also some trademark issues. This seller could advertize them as Torsi for Space Marine kits made by games Workshop without violating trademark regulations (as long as he does not appear to be GW or GW sanctioned).

BobtheInquisitor
28-11-2010, 00:49
You could use DA robed torsos with Chaos Warrior helmeted heads (trim off the horns for a pre-heresy look), or just CSM sorcerer heads.

matterofpride
28-11-2010, 02:32
Really I think just going with normal sm/csm heads would work just fine.

Raibaru
28-11-2010, 03:50
Get the DA upgrade sprue and some bases. The sprue comes with 10 DA robed bodies iirc (been awhile since I checked) and bolters. You can then use the chaos or SM backpacks you probably have lying around somewhere in your bits bin. Then use the Steam Knight helmets listed above. This will get you 10 TS for like 25.

If you want to make a pre-heresy list. You can stock up on the pre-heresy jetpacks maxmini makes. You can get some of these:

http://www.brickforge.com/store/home.php?cat=273

There are also these you can use for added conversion potential:
http://chapterhousestudios.com/webshop/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.browse&category_id=44

Good luck

Clang
28-11-2010, 06:53

Officially that's true, there's supposedly nothing but dust inside their armour. But then officially they should have the proper TS silly hats too :)

I was going for a slight reimagining of the TS curse, where their flesh has been turned to dust but their bones remain. Hey, makes just as much sense, right?

Raibaru's idea of using DA robed figures is good, but remember there are only 3 (from memory) choices of robed torso and three choices of robed legs, so visually they're going to look samey if used in quantity. But used say just for sorcerers, it could work great.

Born Again
28-11-2010, 12:12

True, but call it artistic licence. It'd look cool, so why not? :D Play them as some other variety of cursed, undead Marines rather than actual TS.

Iīm pretty sure they donīt. GWs miniatures are protected by design law, not copyright (the original sculpts are ptorected by copyright) and design law has "must match" and "must fit" exceptions pretty much everywhere. I donīt think they fall under the LEGO laws (exceptions to these exceptions for modular systems). You can get no-name ink cartridges for your printer and body kits for cars (or even engine modifications allowing you to use bio-diesel) through the same legal mechanism.

And if youīre looking at models: Check some military scale modeling catalogs. You will find upgrade kits for specific other kits made by different manufacturers (For instance Tamiya do a 1:35 scale M-4, Legend and Eduardo do conversion kits for this kit). As these cases show (both note that they are designed specifically to be used with the Tamiya) and as your no-name ink cartridge does note for which brand of printer they are suited, there are also some trademark issues. This seller could advertize them as Torsi for Space Marine kits made by games Workshop without violating trademark regulations (as long as he does not appear to be GW or GW sanctioned).

I was talking more about the conceptual design. There is no way whatsever than anyway who is the slightest bit familiar with GW wouldn't recognise those as space marines. They have the same construction and design throughout their armour, same shoulder pads, same chestplate, even the same backpacks with the four vents at the bottom and extended main vents that is so unique to CSM's. They were clearly designed with the sole purpose of being used as alternate TS models. While it may be ok to make a cheaper version of a printer cartridge for another brand's printer, but you will have to develop that cartridge yourself. Something that is so obviously a Space Marine infringes GW's IP, something that they are well known to cling tightly to.

susu.exp
28-11-2010, 12:55
I was talking more about the conceptual design. There is no way whatsever than anyway who is the slightest bit familiar with GW wouldn't recognise those as space marines. They have the same construction and design throughout their armour, same shoulder pads, same chestplate, even the same backpacks with the four vents at the bottom and extended main vents that is so unique to CSM's. They were clearly designed with the sole purpose of being used as alternate TS models. While it may be ok to make a cheaper version of a printer cartridge for another brand's printer, but you will have to develop that cartridge yourself. Something that is so obviously a Space Marine infringes GW's IP, something that they are well known to cling tightly to.

Well, I can only repeat my point: Check design law for the "must match" and "must fit" exceptions. A printer cartridge has to fit the parinter in a lot of ways, it has to be a certain size and shape to actually go into the printer, etc. This cartridge design is the IP of the printer manufacturer, but under the must fit exception no-name cartridges can be - and are - sold. They are clearly designed with the sole purpose of being alternative cartridges for specific printers. Must match exceptions refer to aesthetic criteria. It wouldnīt make sense for somebody to sell conversion bits for space marines that didnīt look the part, would it?

The must match exception pretty much fits this case like a glove - itīs there to allow companies to break the monopoly of other companies by producing alternative spare parts that do not conflict the original aesthetic. There are limits to the protection of designs and in this case the limits donīt seem to be overstretched.