PDA

View Full Version : Future Ownership Of The Milky Way

The Inevitable One
28-11-2010, 04:42
Although the war between humanity and the rest of the aliens races is still ongoing, who do you think will ultimately win ownership of the Milky Way Galaxy and why?

Jonny_N
28-11-2010, 09:12
I believe humanity is not quite done for just yet.

Gorbad Ironclaw
28-11-2010, 09:29
Shouldn't there be an option for Humans that isn't the Imperium? I could possibly see it ending up as a human dominated galaxy but I also think the Imperium is going to crumble and essentially disintegrate and humanity will instead fracture into multiple factions centred around whatever happens to be the strongest power in the vicinity.

Apart from that, Orks seems to be best placed to actually dominate the galaxy. Even defeating there invasions doesn't seem to actually do very much to lessen the danger they represent to anyone else so it would seem like they wear everyone else down in the long run.

Aun'aart'al
28-11-2010, 09:40
I swear to god, whoever voted for the Tau must have thought they were being hilarious or that their tech would ultimately save them. I play Astartes and I say the 'nids by an unimaginable landslide for the obvious reason; the hivefleets that the Imperium has encountered thus far have only been scouts! Scouts!

grissom2006
28-11-2010, 10:29
Like how the Nids are out in front. But if the Nids do indeed destroy everything in the Milky way they won't win ownership of it. The Nids have a constant need for food and genetic code they will merely leave the Milky Way and onto the next galaxy to consume that one. Leaving the Milky Way as nothing more than a star filled dead galaxy.

Jerrus
28-11-2010, 11:13
None of the above.

In the grim future there is only war....

Lionsprey
28-11-2010, 12:20
Owner as in controling the biggest part of it?
in that case IoM simply becouse they have a headstart and more often then not Space marines plot armor reflects anything that might make them sell less
depends a lot on how far in the future we are speaking about though

LordLucan
28-11-2010, 13:05
No faction will. Some factions will rise, others will fall, and the balance might shift a bit, but I reckon no one race will ever become sole 'owners' of the galaxy. Too many factions with comparable power to each other.

Triszin The Wrath God
28-11-2010, 15:19
hmm who would own the galaxy?

Nids, even though i'd like to believe that IoM could stop em, IoM man power has been the only thing to stop a complete takeover by the nids. but then again the tau's plot armor is looking thicker than a SM. they took out a splinter without losing a single troop? BS i say, propaganda.

Shamana
28-11-2010, 16:00
The Squats!

You all thought they were gone for good - and that is just what they wanted you to think!

@ Triszin - where's the part about not losing a troop from, the Nid codex? I was under the impression that they eventually triumphed, but it wasn't a walk in the park. A small enough splinter fleet should be within their powers.

Triszin The Wrath God
28-11-2010, 16:13
it said that no tau died, but countless auxiliaries did. i just find it hard to believe that nids can make planet fall but not kill a single tau. i believe it is in the nid dex.

Shinzui
28-11-2010, 16:59
it said that no tau died, but countless auxiliaries did. i just find it hard to believe that nids can make planet fall but not kill a single tau. i believe it is in the nid dex.

Gotta love that old Chinese whispers game with Tau background :rolleyes:

The fleet lead by Shadowsun destroyed a splinter fleet without the loss of a single ship in the Tau codex.

Tau themselves had massive losses to hive fleet gorgon featured in the Tyranid codex which set them up for their mistake in the Dark Eldar Codex.

Shas'o Gavner'Elan
28-11-2010, 17:04
If the Tau Empire can learn from their mistakes and successes, and continue with their tactics of picking apart an enemy force systematically, while still forming suitable alliances and creating beneficial situations, they could find themselves in a better situation than many would suspect.

Realistically, however, using only the fluff and information from the current state of the galaxy, it's gotta be the Nids or Necrons. No chance of Chaos, cos, even if they do conquer humanity, according to Legion, they'll just die out, because their entire purpose is to fight the Imperium (and the Eldar).

MidgetD
28-11-2010, 17:09
Like how the Nids are out in front. But if the Nids do indeed destroy everything in the Milky way they won't win ownership of it. The Nids have a constant need for food and genetic code they will merely leave the Milky Way and onto the next galaxy to consume that one. Leaving the Milky Way as nothing more than a star filled dead galaxy.

Which would be the reason as to why the Necrons would be left, with a massive dead galaxy. Void of life. Just the way they want it :D

spogglenose
28-11-2010, 18:53
I'd say humanity not Imperium just because even though the Imperium would fall then the Emperor would likely return and squish everything untill he made Horus MkII.

I wouldnt say the Orks would win because they have always been around never "ruled the galaxy" as such. Obviously they are in the best position but Orks never unite and waste most of their time fighting each other.

MEcorp
28-11-2010, 21:47
Very few races actually want control of the galaxy. Orks, Nids, DE and Chaos all want something else.

The Imperium's descent is inevitable but it will be very difficult to destroy. The Eldar's time has passed and eventually they will learn to accept this or die. The Tau are in the tenuous position of too weak to be a threat but just large enough to matter. If they advance much further the Imperium will actually commit forces against (like for real this time) and they will crumble.

Only the nids and the Necrons have any real hope for victory and my money's on the Necrons. The Nids have numbers and variability on their side. The Necrons have vastly superior tech, physics breaking gods and almost limitless regeneration. In combat against the Necrons the Nids lose their ability to gain additional resources (thus allowing them to create more) but the Necrons don't lose their ability to reconstruct themselves.

Eventually the Hive Mind will grow to consider this galaxy a waste of resources and abandon it to the Necrons. And then the harvest of the lesser races shall begin.

TheLaughingGod
28-11-2010, 23:15
I picked Eldar. While the other foolish races are wasting their lives and resources bludgeoning each other, the Eldar are making calculated strikes according to their farsight and directing things to an end.

The Eldar are only growing stronger, each fallen warrior can become a Wraithconstruct or add to an Exarch or Phoenix Lord's power an experience. They even have ghost starships. And while they may be a shadow of their former glory, they still have children and the craftworlds have GROWN in size over the millenia

In time, the other factions will beat each other into the ground, and when the Necrons have few tomb worlds left, the imperials few hive worlds, and the nids and orks have exhausted each other, the Eldar will return and scour the lesser races from the galaxy before turning to face Chaos once and for all. Rhana Dandra will commense and the Eldar race will perish, forming Ynnead and crippling Chaos for all time.

...just as valid as your pet theory. ;)

Sanguine
29-11-2010, 08:03
Eventually the Hive Mind will grow to consider this galaxy a waste of resources and abandon it to the Necrons. And then the harvest of the lesser races shall begin.

I think its in the current nid codex you can see they avoid ¨dead¨ worlds in favour of ones with bio-matter. If they attacked a world like earth, and that had necrons then they´d still have the bio-matter of the planet to replicate more. I believe nids will destroy (control) the milky way, then move on and the necrons will be left with a lifeless galaxy, their own personal heaven :D

MvS
29-11-2010, 09:16
Thing is, there's no 'end point'. Thousands or even millions of years may pass, one species or another might gain ascendency for millennia, but then the wheel will turn and this will begin to change and unravel.

Ultimately the Big Crunch or Big Freeze will 'win', depending on which cosmological model you prefer.

All that aside though, I'm backing the home team - humanity. ;)

Zweischneid
29-11-2010, 10:05
I swear to god, whoever voted for the Tau must have thought they were being hilarious or that their tech would ultimately save them. I play Astartes and I say the 'nids by an unimaginable landslide for the obvious reason; the hivefleets that the Imperium has encountered thus far have only been scouts! Scouts!

Irrespective of Nids and other major 40K menaces, I think it's been pointed out that the Tau Empire background takes major inspiration from Asimov's Foundation Series, specifically the "thousand year plan" implemented by Hari Seldon for, quote, "the greater good"...

In other words, both present civilisations that got an artificial boost in technology, knowledge, as well as societal traits (inclusive of other races, fairly unaffected by the Warp, in case of the Tau). All this not to "beat" the big galactic empire on the decline, but, at least in Asimov's version, to mitigate the negative effects of the galactic empires inevitable collapse and "reduce 30,000 years of Dark Ages and barbarism to a single millennium".

In this sense, the Tau Empire certainly is meant to conjur parallels to Asimov's "second Empire", not because they are meant to beat the Imperium of Mankind or the Nids or whoever in a one-on-one fight, but because they're purpose made to "keep things going" after the Imperium "inevitably" collapses (lacking the Foundation series psychohistory, the plan would have to be made up by someone with future-sight/precoginition in 40K). They Tau are sort of a pan-galactic insurance policy so that the galaxy does not fall to the crazies should the Imperium ever give out.

Also, assuming these parallels hold, there would also be multiple "Tau Empires". Not necessarly the same biological species or the same technology, but certainly multiple minor civilizations that got tinkered with and who are now ringfencing the Imperium of Man to hedge against the catastrophe of its likely/inevitable/probable collapse.

Of course, it should be noted that the thousand-year-plan in Asimov's books crashes and burns. The same might be true for 40K.

chromedog
29-11-2010, 10:09
An as yet unknown race will crawl from the primordial ooze when it is once again time for life to exist.

The tyranids will eat everything and just before they move on, they will be eaten in turn by the C'tan who remain (who will have properly awakened by then and be rather in the mood for some om-nom-noms). Once they have finished picking their teeth with the leftover scything talons, they will again do the "Damn. We should have saved some for later!" and having no more races to worship or consume, will again crawl back under the duvet and snooze for another hundred or so million years.

Thanatos_elNyx
29-11-2010, 10:13
Nids eat everything and move on; and leave Necrons as sole players in the galaxy.

Lionsprey
29-11-2010, 11:34
Whats with all the "Necrons want an empty galaxy" stuff?
they want a galaxy filled with food for their masters not big empty rocks.

spogglenose
29-11-2010, 11:43
Whats with all the "Necrons want an empty galaxy" stuff?
they want a galaxy filled with food for their masters not big empty rocks.

Exactly.

The Necrons will fight the Tyranids just because they dont just eat the people they strip worlds barren so they can never support life again and the C'tan dont want that. Sure wipe out all sentient life in the galaxy for some munch but make sure that it will all grow back later. You may even find the C'tan start prioritising the Nids as the greatest threat to their food stocks. (Maybe far-fetched but still a theory)

Thanatos_elNyx
29-11-2010, 12:19
Leave the necrons alone in the galaxy and the C'tan can keep following the Nids onto the next Galaxy.

Who knows; they might have eaten them all by the time they get to the next galaxy.

Bunnahabhain
29-11-2010, 12:36
Entropy.

Unless the warp can beat thermodynamics, that is...

El_Machinae
29-11-2010, 13:59
If the Necrons represent the peak possible technology, then the 'nids will win IF they're actually as numerous as feared and not merely as strong as the tendrils seen so far.

It's like humans vs. a zombie virus. Either we have sufficient technology to beat it, or it eventually wipes us out. :)

Francis
29-11-2010, 14:59
Now here is the thing. I can't seem to get my head around all the "NIDS WILL EAT ALL!!" propaganda tossed all over the web. As far as Imperial reports go there is nothing that says there are any more fleets left after Leviathan. And when it get it's ass kicked by Kryptman and the greenskins I think we can pretty much be certain that the Nids will remain a threat to small alien empires and minor imperial colony worlds at worst.

Many seem to think that the Tyranids have eaten countless galaxies before they came to the Milky Way. Anything more than a couple of galaxies eaten is as far as I am concerned very unlikely, when you take into consideration the space between galaxies and the time it takes to evolve as a species, the Nids can't possibly have devoured the dozens or even hundreds of galaxies people seem to think. Now if we say that this is the first alien (for them) galaxy they have travelled to, then I can't possibly believe that there are much left after Leviathan is grinded down in the Octavius sector.

So the Orks will help stop the Nids, but who will stop the Orks? Well the Orks need enemies. Preferably somebody they can have fun with. And who is more fun than the ever stalwart defenders of the Imperium. You need only consider the happy and ever popular ork battlecry: "Oi, ummies, lets bash em" to know that they really actually love us quite a bit. As such it is not in the ork interest to kill off the Imperium. As Ghaszghkull Mag Uruk Thraka so aptly put it "good enemies iz ‘ard to find, an Orks need enemies ta fight like they need meat ta eat an’ grog ta drink."

That is why I am certain the Imperium will continue to control the larger parts of the Milky Way long after the last Ripper is crushed to a bloody pulp under the boot of an imperial guardsman.

Yayale
29-11-2010, 15:20
I think the tyranids are the most likely successors. Fluff says there are many more of them still travelling to the galaxy or other ones. When they defeat a world they digest all of the resources leaving planets that can never be inhabbited again. They are constantly changing to adapt to the enemy and growing in number.

The orks are a close second. Yes they love war so much they fight amongst themselves, so it would take an insanely long time. Ork numbers are constantly groing due to the fact that you kill one and millions of spores are released creating many more. It has been stated in numerous fluff that once a planet is attacked by orks it is almost impossible to totally remove their taint as the spores are so resilient.

Chaplain of Chaos
29-11-2010, 15:40
Go look at the map in the tyranid codex, it shows the size of Hive Fleet Leviathan. it occupies a region of space larger than the milky way galaxy itself.

DarthMcBob
29-11-2010, 16:39
Plus the 5th edition rulebook (on page 166, if you're curious) outright says that they have eaten a dozen galaxies before arriving at the one we know and love. So if the Imperium strips down every single world in the galaxy of all life, useful minerals, water, and atmosphere and converts all of that into ships, troops, and weapons... they'll have about 1/12th, or about 8.3% of the Tyranids total resources available. Then they have to deal with the fact that the Tyranids have instantaneous and perfect communication across any distance to every last fleet, and can perfectly coordinate their attacks whenever they choose. Oh, and their leader does not exist in the physical universe, and thus cannot be killed. And every one of their commanders can just get itself a new body every time it is killed. And that they can massively alter their own genetic structure to suit their needs even when separated from the Hive Mind (ie. Hormagaunts grow wings to escape an enclosure in the Aphelion Project). A small handful of escaped creatures can, given some time and biomass, create their own synapse creatures and call down the Hive Fleet on that poor world in question (once again, from Imperial Armor: The Aphelion Project). Good luuuuuuuuuuck. :evilgrin:

El_Machinae
29-11-2010, 17:05
All that is true, but their 'biological capabilities' have nearly peaked. Oh, there's some room for small adjustments, but a 100 kg 'nid is only an order more deadly than a space marine. With technological growth, 100 kg can become incredibly powerful. What I mean is that it's the equipment than really matters, and the 'nids aren't really creating new 'equipment' or capabilities for their troops that're much more impressive than they already have.

DarthMcBob
29-11-2010, 18:45
All that is true, but their 'biological capabilities' have nearly peaked. Oh, there's some room for small adjustments, but a 100 kg 'nid is only an order more deadly than a space marine. With technological growth, 100 kg can become incredibly powerful. What I mean is that it's the equipment than really matters, and the 'nids aren't really creating new 'equipment' or capabilities for their troops that're much more impressive than they already have.

Why do you say that? The Hive Mind is incredibly vast compared to our own, and will make a new creature when it senses a need for one. How on earth would you know whether or not it has any impressive new toys coming in on the next hive fleet or not?

Lord Asgul
29-11-2010, 18:48
In my opinion, the Necrons will target the Tyranids because they are the greatest threat to their foodstock. Since the C'tan cannot seemingly win them to their side and with limitless resources at their disposal, the Necrons have the ability to win...easily. Also with the Imperium probably dealing with all matters Chaotic, the Imperium would then probably be crushed by the emergent fully awakened Necron Tomb Worlds. What we have seen of the Necrons so far is nothing, what is to come is yet to be seen.

feintstar
29-11-2010, 19:39
Entropy.

Unless the warp can beat thermodynamics, that is...

Entropy is commonly (is only slightly innaccurately) known as Chaos...

The Warp IS thermodynamics.

Aside from this, while I am a fan of the theory that Necrons and the Tyranids will battle each other over the face of the galaxy, there is another, more esoteric alternative that is hinted at in the old Tau dex:

It is hinted throughout the story of the Ethereals' arrival that the Tau were actually created, as were the Kroot. If so, then those who create such races are actually very powerful, and evidently benign. And, no-one even knows they are there...

The Old ones will Rule the galaxy, after the Rhana Dandra.

Shamana
29-11-2010, 20:24
The Tau yes, but I'm not sure it says anything like that about the Kroot... Can you give me a page?

DarthMcBob
29-11-2010, 20:25
Aside from this, while I am a fan of the theory that Necrons and the Tyranids will battle each other over the face of the galaxy, there is another, more esoteric alternative that is hinted at in the old Tau dex:

It is hinted throughout the story of the Ethereals' arrival that the Tau were actually created, as were the Kroot. If so, then those who create such races are actually very powerful, and evidently benign. And, no-one even knows they are there...

The Old ones will Rule the galaxy, after the Rhana Dandra.

:eyebrows: The Old Ones are dead. All of them. The ones that the Necrons didn't get were taken by the Enslaver Plague. The only one who was even suggested to be alive (Qah) was smashed into bits by Slaanesh.

Idaan
29-11-2010, 20:29
Plus the 5th edition rulebook (on page 166, if you're curious) outright says that they have eaten a dozen galaxies before arriving at the one we know and love. So if the Imperium strips down every single world in the galaxy of all life, useful minerals, water, and atmosphere and converts all of that into ships, troops, and weapons... they'll have about 1/12th, or about 8.3% of the Tyranids total resources available.
That's not how thermodynamics work. They had to spend vast portions of the accumulated biomass as energy to move between the galaxies. We don't know how much exactly, but still.

grayghost
29-11-2010, 20:59
The Imperium will do the only thing it does well....survive. It will survive long enough so that Humanity will evolve to equal or surpass the Eldar in psychic potential, only with the discipline to avoid creating a new Chaos god.

Tiu
29-11-2010, 20:59
Nids eat everything and move on; and leave Necrons as sole players in the galaxy.

+1
Theres loads of Nid fleets still out there, so theyll win in the end. Once they scoured the galaxy, they move on. The only ones who survive (for a given value of "survive") are the necrons, since theyve got nothing the nids want, and vice versa. So, in the end the crons dominate the galaxy.

grayghost
29-11-2010, 21:08
+1
Theres loads of Nid fleets still out there, so theyll win in the end. Once they scoured the galaxy, they move on. The only ones who survive (for a given value of "survive") are the necrons, since theyve got nothing the nids want, and vice versa. So, in the end the crons dominate the galaxy.

I thought the Necrons needed life for food, especially since there aren't enough C'tan to be eating each other.

Yayale
29-11-2010, 21:32
+1

The nids would want the necrons for resources, whack em in a digestion pool and suck em up to make more nids.

As much as I'd like humanity to win I swear I've read somewhere that they are loosing planets on a daily basis. Man will be one of the first to go :(

Stonerhino
29-11-2010, 22:30
The Tyranids may be very vast. But they use the biomass they collect. It's not a 100% return when a fully grown bug dies and gets re-eaten. Also, you state how much was used when they traveled between galaxies or even how much biomass they ate while there.

The Necrons however use technology that breaks atoms down to their subatomic particals. Without the side effects of what happens when you split an atom. If they have the means to construct atoms from subatomic particals then they can actual make use of 100% of any material they encounter. Not just what is already in a usable form.

grumbaki
29-11-2010, 22:56
Ok, the nids ate a dozen galaxies. Was this one at a time? I doubt it. They are probably spread out quite thin, and different nid offshoots are attacking galaxies far, far away. I very much doubt all of them will converge on this one.

I say the Orks. Sooner or later the Imperium will splinter. The Eldar are but a shadow of their former selves. The necrons? It's not like an Ork is going to be afraid of them, and eventually they'll find the tomb worlds and the Mek boyz will have a good time. The Orks are the only race that can have a million of them slaughtered, and for the rest to smile and say "that looks like fun!" Truly, they are the epitome of resilience, and they have the numbers and the will to back it up. Organized resistance is all well and good, but eventually even the order will break down, and then the Orks will reign supreme.

Ragnaork is coming. Eventually.

DarthMcBob
29-11-2010, 23:03
That's not how thermodynamics work. They had to spend vast portions of the accumulated biomass as energy to move between the galaxies. We don't know how much exactly, but still.

They travel via the manipulation of gravity (as for how that works, I'm just as confused as you are). We don't know what fuel source they use, or if they even need one (it could be psychic). We don't know if that required any biomass at all. Tyranids aren't big sticklers for physics anyway, like everyone else in the 40k verse.

Da Reddaneks
30-11-2010, 02:11
I am as hard core of an Ork fan as they come. And I can definitely say that the Orks will never "rule" the galaxy. HOWEVER, no one else will ever rule the galaxy either while the Orks are around. They are the ultimate spoiler. The only thing that gets the orks organized is an obvious apparent threat. And something like the main body of the Tyranid invasion force (or the final rise of the necrons) would be something sufficient to unite the orks into a galactic waaagh.

Of course once the tyranid threat was over the orks would fall appart and start warring amongst theirselves. And there may not be much left after the Orks unite for the final waaagh either.

So my answer is "no one will rule the galaxy." if anyone gets too big, powerful and draws too much attention to their selves the orks cause them too many problems. And the orks cant stay organized after the primary threat is over to rule anything.

El_Machinae
30-11-2010, 14:25
Orks are merely a thorn to any true ruler. It's like a peasant thinking that "as long as there are wolves, we'll never conquer the planet". Yeah, maybe true. But once you have rifles, wolves become a non-issue.

Orks have completely peaked with their threat level. They're just an infestation, and only a threat to those who're latently weaker or on a downward slope. That's why they're such a risk to the Imperium.

Novrain
30-11-2010, 15:25
Eldar!

Nids come, eldar run to the webway, nids eat everything outside taking millenia to do it, while that is happening CWE defeat DE because CWE get new codexes more often, nids move on, big fight between resurgent CWE and Necrons, ultimately eldar win (they were created to control / destroy necrons right?)

They then use their planet forming technology to make the nid eaten worlds into maiden worlds again.

Eldar rules, ok?

Idaan
30-11-2010, 18:18
So my answer is "no one will rule the galaxy." if anyone gets too big, powerful and draws too much attention to their selves the orks cause them too many problems. And the orks cant stay organized after the primary threat is over to rule anything.

The Eldar ruled the galaxy for a million years unbothered to the degree that they forgot what fighting even meant.

SolkaTruesilver
30-11-2010, 18:34
The Orks will never rule for the simple reason that Orks always have been a menace to this Galaxy. There hasn't been a time in the past hundred of thousand of years when the Orks weren't present.

Adn yet, even during the Age of Strife, they managed to be contained. I believe their WAAAAAGH!! power increases only when they have worthy opponents to face, and afterwhile they simply degenerate into random gangs.

Stonerhino
01-12-2010, 05:25
The Orks will never rule for the simple reason that Orks always have been a menace to this Galaxy. There hasn't been a time in the past 60 million years when the Orks weren't present.

Adn yet, even during the Age of Strife, they managed to be contained. I believe their WAAAAAGH!! power increases only when they have worthy opponents to face, and afterwhile they simply degenerate into random gangs.Just a little change but it's good now.

Mondo80
01-12-2010, 05:49
the Necrons could be hiding a few planets whos population is made up entirely of humans with the pariah gene. the probably only wipe out races that have presence in the warp.

Stonerhino
01-12-2010, 06:12
The Necrons could be hiding almost anything. Think about going beyond a few planets of Pariah. If the Outsider is in a Dyson Shell then right there you more space then nearly an entire galaxy worth of planets.

A Dyson Shell built around our sun with it's surface on the Earth's orbit. It would have a total surface area of something like 1 trillion times that of the Earth. If you give the 400ish billion stars in the Milky way an Earth sized planet that can support life. That one Dyson shell is able to support two and a half times the total life in the Milky way galaxy. And that's giving every star a life supporting planet. Most likely that one shell can support more then ten or more time the total life in the galaxy. With 60 million + years to grow it.

El_Machinae
01-12-2010, 12:14
Very much. Once you start expanding surface area and start properly utilizing resources, the 'upper limits' of what's possible is amazing. Supercomputers can theoretically think more than an entire galaxy's worth of people, once the components get small enough. etc.

Shas'o Gavner'Elan
01-12-2010, 17:30
Hehe, I like how everybody has resorted to defending their favourite race. :D Of course, that's not a bad thing, it means we get lots of different opinions. Also, it's more fun when you take on the role of a commander of your chosen force. It really brings the hobby to life!

Either way, I agree with both El_Machine and Da Reddaneks on the Ork case - they'll never rule the galaxy, not while the Imperium (and the Tau Empire :D ) still stand, but unfortunately they'll be a BLOOMIN BIG nuisance to any race that tries to!!

SeaSwift
01-12-2010, 17:35
You do realise pretty much every vote will inevitably be for one of the user's armies?

Necrons.

I play Eldar.

Shas'o Gavner'Elan
01-12-2010, 17:49
Yeh thats the point i was putting across :D For example, whoever voted for Dark Eldar was obviously a DE player, as there is no way in ten million years the Dark Eldar are gonna conquer the galaxy. It's not only highly likely their entire race will be wiped out soon (in galatic terms), it's unavoidable! They'll make a big mess on the way, of course, but even so...

SolkaTruesilver
01-12-2010, 18:04
You do realise pretty much every vote will inevitably be for one of the user's armies?

Necrons.

I have an IG army, but I voted Tau. :angel:

Granted, it's a Gue'Vesa army.. but still... :chrome:

Shas'o Gavner'Elan
01-12-2010, 19:31
Nice, SolkaTruesilver, nice :D

MEcorp
01-12-2010, 22:17
I play Chaos and I voted Necrons.

On the whole Nids v. Necrons thing (which I kinda started). Consider the following:

The Necrons fought and eventually sorta-defeated the Old Ones (they at least caused them to kill themselves), known to be masters of genetic engineering and the warp. Furthermore, while slumbering they were somehow able to keep the race designed for their destruction (Eldar) from killing them off. We know they are waking up now. And we know that their technology is completely and utterly physics breaking (FTL travel, guns that can't work, ships that can rebuild themselves from nothing, folding space, wraith travel, etc.).

The Nids have consumed dozens of galaxies before. What does this mean exactly? It could mean that a progression of fleets have traveled in a straight line through these galaxies, bumping off their inhabitants and om-nom-noming contentedly. However, given time and energy constraints this seems unlikely. More likely is the idea someone mentioned earlier about them spreading out for their point-of-origin and each splinter being largely self-responsible. Furthermore, these galaxies could have been almost completely empty. It hardly seems likely that each galaxy could have dozen's of advanced, highly militant races in them. Indeed the advances the nids have had to make here indicate that they haven't faced off against space-fleets and artillery for example.
What this means is that we have only a limited idea of how many nids are still incoming, could be a lot, could be very few, could even be none.

We also know that Nids avoid planets held by the Necrons because the worlds don't harbor life sufficient for their needs. We also know that Nids aren't capable of consuming all types of materials, hard minerals for example. Stands to reason from this that Nids can't consume Necrons, even if they could prevent them from phasing out. However Necrons are capable of reconstituting themselves almost from basic elements and are capable of adding new recruits (Pariahs, that beetle-engine thing from the Soul Drinker books).

In this respect my money's on the guy who we know has the resources and the tech. As opposed to the guy who might have the numbers and could potentially get the resources.

Long rant, sorry about that, but once the brain-matter starts flowing it takes on a life of it's own.

Lord Malorne
01-12-2010, 22:42
People may vote differently though four armies stand at the front as most commonly thought to be the final winners, I don't mean in this thread (though it seems to be holding true) but in general.

The nids would want the necrons for resources, whack em in a digestion pool and suck em up to make more nids.

As much as I'd like humanity to win I swear I've read somewhere that they are loosing planets on a daily basis. Man will be one of the first to go :(

I think the line goes:

For every world lost, ten more are brought into the fold.

Can't remember the source though :(.

burad
01-12-2010, 22:44
The necrons have waited 60 million years. All these other races will have died out or moved on and the necrons will still be here.

Yayale
05-12-2010, 00:03
Some of the Necron fluff is new to me, Didn't realise they ahd the ability to repair things from nothing and all that, think I might actually be swayed to the side of the Necrons. They wont rule the universe as such just like the nids wouldn't. They would almost extinguish all life then go back to their respective tomb worlds for a nap again.

I think man will live in some form or another, but they will never rule the galaxy.

sharkaithegreat
06-12-2010, 20:13
I voted chaos because although the Imperium will probably collapse humanity will survive in small hidden pockets after the 'nids eat everything else. IMHO these humans will eventually own the galaxy after the 'nids move on.
Most of these surviving humans will be affected by the dark gods and most will worship them without an Emperor to worship instead.

Mánagarmr
06-12-2010, 20:24
Imperium all the way.

"We may be few, and our enemies many. Yet so long as there remains one of us still fighting, one who still rages in the name of justice and truth, then by the Allfather, the galaxy shall yet know hope." - Ragnar Blackmane