PDA

View Full Version : Foundation Paint Set cancelled?

lordmetroid
28-11-2010, 10:01
I was about to order a foundation paint set and noticed it was not at their homepage, has it been cancelled?

Chaos and Evil
28-11-2010, 10:06
Yes. GW no longer sell it, or the discount Wash Set either, AFAIK.

Shamutanti
28-11-2010, 20:48
Depending on where you live, some stores still have them in stock.

Killgore
29-11-2010, 12:21
I believe the paints are still available separately,

shame the sets are gone but tbh I only used a few of the paints on a regular basis

Ravenous
29-11-2010, 12:54
Yes. GW no longer sell it, or the discount Wash Set either, AFAIK.

They should just sell a 6 pack of devlan mud, that stuff is talent in a bottle for noobs.

Inquisitor Engel
29-11-2010, 13:43
They should just sell a 6 pack of devlan mud, that stuff is talent in a bottle for noobs.

I'd prefer a 6-pack of Badab Black. I go through that stuff like water.

DarthSte
29-11-2010, 14:44

Such a wonderful idea!!

Ravenous
29-11-2010, 15:55
It really is, I buy Devlan and Badab in 3s because its always sold out most times I got into GW.

Wil Grand
29-11-2010, 15:57
Or just buy Army Painter Dip..... Same effect, fraction of the price.

Kroot Lord
29-11-2010, 18:10
Or just buy Army Painter Dip..... Same effect, fraction of the price.

Not at all.

Completely different products, different effects, different uses, and not even a "fraction of the price".

Wil Grand
29-11-2010, 18:19
Muckle big can 16, wee toattie tub 2.15. Other than having to use dullcote the finished articles can sit next to each other. You just don't 'dip'.

Kroot Lord
29-11-2010, 19:13
The 250ml can works out as as 42 pots of Badab Black (42 pounds x .8 for discount= 33.6 pounds, so over twice as expensive). However:
- Army Painter is only one colour and will only work on a few types of colour (ones that work with brown), vs the washes which work on any colour due to their variety
- you lose absolutely loads of dip when shaking/spinning the model
- dipped models are much shinier, even with a matt varnish
- dipped models are completely dipped, whereas washed models can just be a tiny part of the model
- washes are much more controlable
- washes complement GW/Vallejo colours
- washes are just a completely different product in so many ways. It really is comparing bananas to yellow paint: they can both be used to "paint" a house yellow.

Wil Grand
29-11-2010, 19:32
Which why I wrote the words -
You just don't 'dip'.
I don't know what passes for matt varnish in your part of the world but dullcote is completely flat so that's two problems solved Next; only being brown -

Such a wonderful idea!!

So we're talking about brown, so it's not a problem, APD is brown.
I'm sorry if I'm coming over as condescending but just because it has the word 'dip' on the can doesn't mean the world will explode if you use it to shade a recess with a brush, thus you can control it, just like GW washes.

- washes complement GW/Vallejo colours

So you saying APD doesn't?

Mannimarco
29-11-2010, 23:41
Yeah I use the Army Painter dip "soft tone".

its not great if you actually dip the model but it turns out pretty good if you just lightly brush it over desert yellow (humbrol spray paint). Does look pretty glossy but some matt varnish takes the shine right off.

Army Painter also does a pretty good little selection of sprays for those who just want to get their army painted and on the table ASAP.

I managed to get 2k of nurgle daemons done in only a fraction of the time it would take to paint them all individually: Blast them "Necrotic Flesh", paint the horns, weapons and details, brush on a dip then matt varnish them. Job done. Check out the sprays on wayland games.

I try not to look down on any of the noobs who want to get their army up and running without spending hours on every single model in it. If more people used painted models the game might be better. I cant be the only person tired of constantly fighting marines of the grey chapter, you can tell who the special ones are as they are usually undercoated all black. Heres the army painter site. Look to the gallery to see what this stuff looks like.

http://www.thearmypainter.com/index.php

Ive heard some you would be as well just using that wood stain stuff, they say its very similar but I wouldnt think so myself.

RayvenQ
30-11-2010, 00:46
Army Painter Dip has its uses, but the effect and the result between the dip and Devlan mud, aren't they same at all. Though they both have their uses.

The Ape
01-12-2010, 10:54
I brush "dip" my nids using wood varnish. Devlan mud/badab black give a totally different finish to "dip"...

TMATK
01-12-2010, 21:13
Wow, they killed off all their paint sets just in time for Christmas. Boggles the mind.

Sgt John Keel
01-12-2010, 21:25
Wow, they killed off all their paint sets just in time for Christmas. Boggles the mind.

Except they did it several months ago. But I guess Christmas is always just around the corner.

Wil Grand
01-12-2010, 21:28
I brush "dip" my nids using wood varnish. Devlan mud/badab black give a totally different finish to "dip"...

If you leave it alone, yes, if you use it as a shade step early on and do your two plus highlights on top then it's near identical.

I don't think they 'killed it off' before Christmas, I think the large stock they had made ages ago has run out at Christmas.

Templar Ben
01-12-2010, 21:31

I presume the idea is people "need" GW paint so they will buy them no matter what. By having them buy them individually instead of a bundle they are getting more revenue (since presumably there are no colors that don't move that need bundling to sell).

TMATK
01-12-2010, 21:46
I presume the idea is people "need" GW paint so they will buy them no matter what. By having them buy them individually instead of a bundle they are getting more revenue (since presumably there are no colors that don't move that need bundling to sell).

If that is indeed their idea, then I repeat; it boggles the mind! :)

There are a bunch of companies that sell miniature paints that are just as good and they all sell paint sets. Christmas is when you get the 'big gift'. So not only do they not offer the mega paint set, they don't even sell the small ones? I think they're overestimating people's brand loyalty.

Next thing you know, they'll try selling space marines one at a time to increase revenue! lol

Bigbot
01-12-2010, 23:35
I use ogryn flesh far more than devlan mud.

Boltgun metal - ogryn flesh - badab black - Forge world weather powder orange ruse - chainmail chips = Good worn paint job.

rich1231
02-12-2010, 09:18
Guys I would guess that the cost to produce another run (remember GW outsource paint production) is higher than the diminishing returns on sales of the discounted set.

xxRavenxx
02-12-2010, 09:19
If you leave it alone, yes, if you use it as a shade step early on and do your two plus highlights on top then it's near identical.

I strongly disagree. Dip completely obliterates fine detail on models, because it sits as a thick varnish layer on top of the model. It is fine as the last coat, and *maybe* with a couple of hilights afterwards, but not as step two :)

Also, for those who say "army painter only comes in one colour".

It comes in three. Light brown, dark brown, black.

And frankly, between those three, you can dip anything, and it will look very presentable.

Wil Grand
02-12-2010, 09:32
But if it's brushed into the recesses it's not sitting on top of detail, is it? I'll grant that the medium is different but the tones you get when you use both as a placed shade is the same. I think you guys don't really get what I'm saying here, you don't dip the miniature since yes, that looks totally different, you don't paint the whole miniature with dip since again, that looks different. What you do is you pick out the recesses of cloth, armour, etc.

Painting white cloth using APD? Coat d'Arms Dark Sand base, carefully shade the recesses with AP Dark Tone, tidy edges with Dark Sand and highlight with Coat Linen, blend extreme highlight with white.

Painting white cloth with Devlan Mud? Coat d'Arms Dark Sand base, carefully shade the recesses with Devlan Mud wash, tidy edges with Dark Sand and highlight with Coat Linen, blend extreme highlight with white.

Erm, they look the same.

Templar Ben
02-12-2010, 11:33
If that is indeed their idea, then I repeat; it boggles the mind! :)

There are a bunch of companies that sell miniature paints that are just as good and they all sell paint sets. Christmas is when you get the 'big gift'. So not only do they not offer the mega paint set, they don't even sell the small ones? I think they're overestimating people's brand loyalty.

Next thing you know, they'll try selling space marines one at a time to increase revenue! lol

It is not shiny and new though. GW may presume that Christmas sales will be the large plastic kits which have huge margins.

GW always overestimates brand loyalty. :cool:

TMATK
02-12-2010, 18:36
I will say this, the GW washes work very well and are basically idiot proof. They dry smooth and splotch free no matter what you do, you don't even need to apply it carefully.

Schmapdi
15-12-2010, 18:28
*bump* Foundation paint set back in stock at GW for the holidays. Only now removed from it is any savings from buying them all separately.

TMATK
15-12-2010, 18:37
They should change the name of the "Brush Set" to "Brush Bundle" since that offers no savings either.

Shamutanti
15-12-2010, 19:53
If anyone is interesting Sheffield's Meadowhall GW has 4 of them in stock. Went in today and saw them lined up next to wash sets!

superdupermatt
16-12-2010, 17:49
You mean this?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat470005a&prodId=prod1095433

RTGamer
16-12-2010, 22:20
Yeah as a poster mentioned 2 posts above yours its back for the holiday period.