PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody own the Talos model? I am curious about its weight

Mike3791
28-11-2010, 13:57
Hey I plan on fielding a Talos in my DE army and was wondering how much it weighs due to it being a gigantic metal model. Is it easy to put together? Does it break a lot? Thanks in advance.

Toldavf
28-11-2010, 21:07
Its not to much of a challenge to put together but its best to pin as much as possible. Yes it is quite weighty for a GW model and yes it does have a tendency to break.

As a side I really hope they re-do these in plastic as soon as possible.

The_Peacemaker
29-11-2010, 21:54
Its a big hunk of metal that falls apart. With some skill you can get it to stay together but the stem always breaks.

My buddy just took out the stem and glued it to the base, thats how bad it is.

Ulrig
29-11-2010, 21:58
I owned one back in the day.

They are heavy and I remember them always falling apart.
Pins are a must.

LonelyPath
29-11-2010, 22:05
Never owned one, but I've never seen one that either hasn't either broken in transit or falls apart during a game.

Bunnahabhain
29-11-2010, 22:36
If you're not pinning big, multi part metal models, you're doing it wrong...

cuda1179
30-11-2010, 03:40
Mine is heavy as all hell. They snap plastic flight stands almost every game. I recommend replacing the plastic pole bit with a steel nail.

Toldavf
30-11-2010, 08:44
I've never broken a flying stand yet. You guys aren't glueing them in to the talos are you?

Clang
01-12-2010, 06:10
A big blob of metal is always going to be at risk when suspended by a little plastic stalk.

Hmm, maybe we'll get a plastic Talos in the next DE release, if anyone can wait that long :) In the meantime, has anyone made a plastic conversion, e.g. from a Necron destroyer body or jetbike/skimmer bits? It wouldn't look the same as the GW model, but to me it seems fluffy enough that each Talos could be a hand-crafted unique machine.

stroller
01-12-2010, 09:07
It's hefty. I've never broken the flying stand - but the claws come off regularly. In fairness however - thats because I cut the pins off too short and have never got round to sorting them properly. Mea culpa.

shadow hunter
01-12-2010, 15:05
Both mine have been okay. I haven't glued them to flying bases, so not had the problem of them breaking. They hold well without the need to glue them.

The worst part for me is the splinter rifles. They often get knocked off, and were fiddly to fix in position.