PDA

View Full Version : High Elf Gunline

OneMeanDuck
28-11-2010, 23:51
So I am starting WHFB with High elves and have purchased a nice size army and such and want to make a magic/gunline with some counter assault.

My goal is 3000 points and I have some questions I would like some advice before i write up a list.

1: Sea Guard and Archer blocks. I am thinking of 2 blocks of 24 (5x5) seaguard with a mage/noble in each one for shooting and some combat. And then possibly 3x10man Archer squads with musician for some cheaper shooting. Whats the best way to run these? Are small blocks of archers worth it at all?

2: Which Lores. at 3000pt I am thinking 2 lvl4 mages one with heavons and one with shadow. The heaven mage can blast stuff while the shadow can hex making my arrows better and aiding with a counter charge. I am also thinking of a lvl2 life mage so i can give regeneration to a squad of swordmasters or pheonix guard.

3: Rare, I am thinking 3 bolt throwers and 2 eagles to mess with other artillery. Is that good or should i toss in more bolters.

4: Counter assault. I have 20 pheonix guard so I will use them to tarpit if anything. I kinda want 2x counter assault units and then a squad of dragon princes cause they look so cool (:rolleyes:) I am thinking 20 swordmasters and 20 lions for a nice countercharge element. OR should I go with 2 blocks of swordmasters?

Gotrek
29-11-2010, 23:00
good luck realy but i can't see Helves as a gunline. all yer shooting is BS based, you have no template weapons, and to tell the truth, 2 lvl 4 sounds like a waste of points and you'll hardly ever have eneughf power dice to do all you want.

on the other hand i might just be wrong.

Jericho
30-11-2010, 00:49
Why on earth would you use Lore of Heavens to "blast stuff"? Definitely not the most offensive Lore out there. High Magic could work with some direct damage spells and Curse of Arrow Attraction. Re-rolling to hit with dozens and dozens of arrows helps, but honestly I don't think volumes of S3 bowfire will be very cost effective.

Compared to templates/war machines, bows really aren't that amazing en masse.

scruffyryan
30-11-2010, 06:39
I would not try to high elf bowline at 3k points, at high point value they benefit way way more from largish bricks of melee troops and a shadow mage.

bowline is workable at the 1k to 1.5k point range but almost universally only if you're running high magic for curse of arrow attraction.

wolf40k
30-11-2010, 06:50
I would never do more then a Level 4 and a level 2 mage in one list because even if you get a full 12 power dice the chances of casting all 6 of your spells is not very likely.

cptcosmic
30-11-2010, 09:21
I would never do more then a Level 4 and a level 2 mage in one list because even if you get a full 12 power dice the chances of casting all 6 of your spells is not very likely.
this

one lvl 4 with shadow and one lvl 2 with high magic would work, if you have alot of shooting, although I would never specialize into HE shooting, it is not point efficient. one block of archers and 2 bolt throwers is the maximum of shooting I would ever take.

Morkash
30-11-2010, 10:01
One problem I see...you have lots and lots of bows. Ye, well, anything with T 4 and only little armor won't give much about that. If these T4 troops are Chaos Warriors or Dwarfs, then good luck in shooting them into the ground...or meeleing them with S3 spears. It could work against soft armies like state troops based Empire and such, but then again, the Empire would smash your blocks with mortars... As already said, I can't see it working either.

goodz
02-12-2010, 20:42
If you run into an empire or dwarf gunline it will also rip you apart, in fact i think an orc gunline might rip you a part:P

1 Level 4 with shadows or life and book of hoeth can do a ton of damage, then a level 2 with shadows/life as your 2nd mage... that should be enough on the magic front

the nice thing about your archers is they get always strikes first, so if you think warriors of chaos, you get 1 long range shot, 1 close range shot, stand and shoot, melee. so you might kill like 2-4 per 10 archers depending on mark/weapons. The bad thing is that that is not point efficent at all.

A unit of 18 chaos warriors Halberd + shield MoK (MoN or MoT are going to have less losses)

48 shots at long range - 2-3 dead chaos warriors.
48 shots at close range - 3-4 dead
24 stand and shoot 1-2 dead
close combat - 1-2 dead

reform into ranks you might if your lucky cause them to flee from combat res, but i think that the 6 chaos warriors in the front rank should kill 10 seagaurd in the first round of combat, so odds are your units dead despite having 2 large units shooting at one...

You will win some high elves are strong, but if your looking to make the best list possible gun line fails.

wolf40k
02-12-2010, 22:36
If you run into an empire or dwarf gunline it will also rip you apart, in fact i think an orc gunline might rip you a part:P

Ah the Orc gunline, Probably one of the most combat ready ranged unis in the game, armed with choppas and toughness 4, Man I think I have my next army idea down:)

puckus10
02-12-2010, 22:57
I had what i consider to be a high elven gunline. You need at least 2 bolt throwers and many msu's of archers. I had 60 altogether. Don't bother with the light armour. Then take a level 4 mage with seerstaff, forliathes robe, and some sort of wardsave. Go give him shadow and take the spell that reduces there toughness(so those shots can actually hurt someone), purple sun, mindrazor, and miasma. Purple sun so you can nuke the enemy if your bows cant and the last two for when the enemy comes in contact with you. Also, my counter assault was 2 lion and 2 normal chariots and some silver helms.