PDA

View Full Version : blood!!! for painting purposes

SeB
29-11-2010, 11:11
Can somebody tell me what color some of the warhammer40k's alien races blood is? namely in order of importance 1- eldar/ dark eldar
2-tau
3-ork
4-tyrranid
i will be so gratefull if somebody can find the color of these races blood for me. i know its silly but i dont feel right making their blood red without knowing if its correct fluff wise.

Aiwass
29-11-2010, 11:16
Red. For all :)

Eldar and DE have human like skin, so red is what they have.
Orks had blood red times ago IIRC
Tau... I don't know, but red goes good with Tausept ochre ;)
And tyranid, who cares? Red I say!

Sanguine
29-11-2010, 11:18
Well tyranid blood can be anything you want, the HM isnīt fussed :D Ork come from fungi so id assume some sort of thick, yellow, pus like substance, Eldar and tau are humanoid so id assume they have the same carbon composition therefore having haemoglobin to carry oxygen to the brain.

dragonet111
29-11-2010, 11:20
For Orks it's red. In an old White Dwarf they say the Ork blood is red because if you want to represent a wound you need red blood otherwise it will just looks like a accident with pistachio ice cream.

I think the same rule apply for the other races. at least humanoid races.

For Tyranids I have absolutely no clue

HerrDusty
29-11-2010, 11:34
Tyranid blood is usually described as an "ichor" of some sort, I always imagine it to be a pinky purple colour, but it could be any colour you wanted.

Korraz
29-11-2010, 11:47
For the humanoids I'd definetely go with red. They all have a similar physiology.
Tyranids...as always, it depends on what is needed.

eyescrossed
29-11-2010, 11:52
I thought Tau blood was blue, and Tyranids a thick dark purple ichor.

Hendarion
29-11-2010, 11:52
Hadn't there been some fluff some time ago that Ork blood includes algea and that's why they have green skin? Got that retconned in the meanwhile?

Aiwass
29-11-2010, 11:55
GW retconning!? nah, this can't be truth :p

eyescrossed
29-11-2010, 12:05
I think they retconned it because of green blood on green skin. It looks silly :shifty:

Malagate
29-11-2010, 12:07
Orks are green still because of Algae, but it's not in their blood :D somehow.

Eldarish stuff definately go for red, a nice rich red too as I would think they would bleed nothing but the best.

I have a feeling Tau blood is cyan, but I'd personally make it more purplish so that it stood out against blue skin, just say it's an arterial bleed or something :chrome:

Tyranid, I always got the feeling they would be full of black sticky stuff, but I'd say any colour that sticks out will do. Contrasts are important, otherwise it looks like messy painting rather than blood, also black blood I would imagine is tricky because it might look like they've had a messy meeting with an ink pot/tar pit.

eyescrossed
29-11-2010, 12:09
Black would be pretty icky. It fits them, IMO.

dragonet111
29-11-2010, 12:18
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AlienBlood

Look at the tabletop section at the end of the page.

I can't find the White Dwarf issue.

SeB
29-11-2010, 13:52
Thanx alot for the speedy replies everyone! ;) really helpful and appreciated.

Sinisterfence
29-11-2010, 21:21
Ork blood is definitely red, at least as of the 2nd ed. codex, GorkaMorka etc. onwards, I always imagined 'Nid blood was bright acidy green, like Alien... cos they're dinosaur-bug-Alien Aliens

Mabd
29-11-2010, 21:31
I always thought of 'nid blood as a washed out yellow (like the Posleen/Aldenata books - and it looks good).

Col. Tartleton
29-11-2010, 22:29
Eldar blood is high corrosive venom... They're not traditional carbon based, they're crystalline. They're more like a statue of a person than a person. They should crack when wounded... :)

Humans are Red
Orks are Red but Black or off white-yellow bile or pus would look good.
Nids bleed Green because Starship Troopers says so. Would you like to know more?
Tau bleed blue like a horshoe crab because they're cobalt not iron based.
Eldar should bleed clear. They're that refined...

Verm1s
29-11-2010, 22:51
Orks are green still because of Algae, but it's not in their blood :D somehow.

Very possible. You don't have melanin in your blood or haemoglobin in your skin, and RL plants don't have chloroplasts in their sap.

Do a google. ;)

Askil the Undecided
29-11-2010, 23:10
Very possible. You don't have melanin in your blood or haemoglobin in your skin, and RL plants don't have chloroplasts in their sap.

Do a google. ;)

Thank you captain anatomy, however Orks blood-borne green algae is a secondary oxygenation vector and also the larraman cell-like clotting agent that makes the foundation of their rapidly forming dark green scars.

Aiwass
29-11-2010, 23:16
Whatever, ork blood is red. Have you any dark red scar by chance? Mines aren't.

Hellebore
29-11-2010, 23:27
Ork blood was green in 2nd ed. They changed it to red entirely for modelling purposes. Considering their blood was to contain much of their 'plant/fungus' like attributes, being green made some sense.

Of course, that's not entirely true. There are plenty of different algal colours around so the orks could still have orange/red blood and have red algae in it.

Hellebore

Askil the Undecided
29-11-2010, 23:31
Whatever, ork blood is red. Have you any dark red scar by chance? Mines aren't.

Yes I do actually it can result from cuts healing imperfectly over main blood vessels.

However human scars like our skin pigmentation and cellular oxygenation have nothing to do with genetically engineered green symbiotic algae in our blood that can function as a binding lattice for skin regeneration.

Orks with red blood are the result of lazy Artists not bothering to consult the fluff.

dragonet111
30-11-2010, 07:13
Nids bleed Green because Starship Troopers says so. Would you like to know more?.

They also bleed orange:)

Aiwass
30-11-2010, 10:23
@Askil, or what Hellebore said, for that matter.

Wade Wilson
30-11-2010, 10:29
heh heh, i guess it comes down to what you feel is best for your models. With nids go for a colour that works best with your colour scheme. With the fluff of tyranids evolving constantly two warriors could have completely different colours of blood. If one of your models bleeds acid you could use a green/yellow? The books i have read seem to conflict (no suprise) from red to black to purple so hey...

Malagate
30-11-2010, 11:51

Do a google. ;)

Good thing I wrote "Algae" instead of "chloroplasts" then, because I'd look like a right silly sausage if I managed to confuse a microscopic organism with an organelle :rolleyes:

Brother Valtarius
30-11-2010, 16:20
For Orks it's red. In an old White Dwarf they say the Ork blood is red because if you want to represent a wound you need red blood otherwise it will just looks like a accident with pistachio ice cream.

I think the same rule apply for the other races. at least humanoid races.

For Tyranids I have absolutely no clue

Correct in 40k Ork blood has been mentioned many times as being red, I do believe that it has been stated that in Fantasy ork blood is black (I think).

MarshalFaust
30-11-2010, 16:37
i would say
orks: a very deep red almost verging on black
Tau: blue to bluish purple
tyranids: clearish yellow or orange
eldar: sparkles or rainbows
dark eldar: dark sparkles and sad rainbows