PDA

View Full Version : Gamesworkshop customer service

farfromsam
30-11-2010, 18:34
Most people have complaints (,and many of them) about GamesWorkshop reguardless of what they do. But I have never heard anything about poor about the customer service they provide. Which is hard to do providing to models world wide.

So thank you GW, although your models are expensive, at least I know I'll get what I pay for and not have the Inquisition after me.

Vandelan
30-11-2010, 18:44
I can't recall the last time I saw anyone complain about GW customer service...

UberBeast
30-11-2010, 18:48
I think what makes their customer service even better is the frequency they are required to fix issues. Because I purchase a lot of GW material I end up needing them to replace something fairly often. They are always on the ball about it.

Simo429
30-11-2010, 18:50
Yeah they are always outstanding.

Once I had lost a piece, I mentioned it to a GW employee and he opened up a new pack no questions asked, can't think of another company that would do this when it was my fault not theres.

MOMUS
30-11-2010, 19:08
I think i can smell flamer fuel....

In all seriousness i have never had problems with GW, until they got rid of mail order.

dreamwarder
30-11-2010, 19:12
I think i can smell flamer fuel....

In all seriousness i have never had problems with GW, until they got rid of mail order.

What do you mean got rid of mail order? I can still mail order from them...

UberBeast
30-11-2010, 19:22
What do you mean got rid of mail order? I can still mail order from them...

Maybe he means bitz order?

Simo429
30-11-2010, 19:48
there certainly should be a service where you can order any specific bit. I assume that they don't because they want people to buy certain packs to get combi meltas ect

nagash66
30-11-2010, 20:22
there certainly should be a service where you can order any specific bit. I assume that they don't because they want people to buy certain packs to get combi meltas ect

The logistics behind the old bit order system made it not viable, they are a company at the end of the day profit comes first.

Simo429
30-11-2010, 20:26
Can you explain how?

Bestaltan
30-11-2010, 20:31
I've always held the customer service folks in high regard ever since, a few years back, I ordered a hive tyrant that ended up having two left legs. I called, they said no problem, and mailed me an entirely new hive tyrant. :D

LonelyPath
30-11-2010, 20:52
With me they've always done everything they can to solve any issue I've had over the years, same with people I know. Heck, a guy I know ordered a Armoured Company when Apoc was released, it arrived with only 6 or 7 LR, he called up and they sent him a new armoured company (seems it cost them less by mail to send that than to send the replacement individual kits, lol). I myself have had relacement LR, Rhinos, 3 or 4 building kits and assorted parts that have been missing from kits. Also, when I had a pre-order dispatched late they sent me a free bonus miniature, same when I took out subscriptions years ago and they forgot to send me issues or the free gift (like the t-shirts they used to give away, etc).

Atomic Rooster
30-11-2010, 21:06
Bits have always been, and will always be available online through 3rd party sellers.

http://www.thewarstore.com/Warhammer40KBitz.html
www.ebay.ca
etc, etc.

owen matthew
30-11-2010, 21:40
They have always been great to me. For over a decade not one complaint.

WildWeasel
30-11-2010, 23:10
Can you explain how?

Bits orders are VERY labor intensive. Each needs to be pulled, and packed individually. Unlike packed product, which are sealed, easy to handle packages, bits are small, often oddly shaped, and require more care in handling (drop a few boxes, pick them up; drop some bits, go get more).

There's also issues that arise when, say, part C of a given model sells a lot of bits, then when they need to pack more of that model, it turns out they don't have enough of part C on hand, so need to cast more, delaying fulfillment of orders.

For a company the size of Privateer Press, for example, the labor and production overheads for the bits are small enough to still be doable. For GW, the volume would just be too much, as this is a service that scales poorly. Especially since the GW hobby encourages much more conversion work (and is, in fact, the only way to field certain units or load-outs), and thus a higher proportional need for bits sales.

Which is why they have moved to bits packs: these are just more direct-only blisters, in-essence, that can be stocked and handled as such.

That said, they could definitely use more bits packs, especially for things like weapons and such. Imagine how many packs of combi-weapons they could sell!

UberBeast
30-11-2010, 23:35
Bits orders are VERY labor intensive. Each needs to be pulled, and packed individually. Unlike packed product, which are sealed, easy to handle packages, bits are small, often oddly shaped, and require more care in handling (drop a few boxes, pick them up; drop some bits, go get more).

Lots of small companies do a fine job of opening and reselling GW bits.

GW used to sell bits for more than their total sum would have added up to. I'm sure if there was a problem with making money through bits it probably had more to do with an inefficiently run organization than some flaw in the overall idea of selling bits.

Tastyfish
30-11-2010, 23:47

GW used to sell bits for more than their total sum would have added up to. I'm sure if there was a problem with making money through bits it probably had more to do with an inefficiently run organization than some flaw in the overall idea of selling bits.

There's a level of investment and risk that makes it not worth it - soon as a bit approachs a significant portion of the whole model then you're competing with your own product. When the price of each individual bit is linked to your entire range there comes a point where I can understand why you stop doing it (especially with the vision to move to 100% plastic). Theorectically you could make money (by selling the one bit to an idiot millionaire) but it's just not worth the effort to persue that market.

I'll also take this opportunity to trump FW's customer service, phoned up begging to order a bit of a broadside battlesuit that I'd lost during a house move before I could assemble it and they ended up just sending me a new one (bit). I was really impressed.

WildWeasel
01-12-2010, 00:16

You pointed out the problem there: small companies. That either specialize in that, or do it as a sideline. It's more efficient for GW to have everything done as bundles, due labor costs, as well as things like warehousing the full range of bits and sprues for individual order. Labor and space are finite, and they make more by dedicating those resources to packaged product. It's not that bits are unprofitable, it's just that the resources that would be devoted to them are more profitable elsewhere.

Vaktathi
01-12-2010, 00:24
Indeed, while GW has lots to complain about, one can't fault their customer service for making things right if a kit doesn't come the way it should. I asked for a couple of the plastic eldar vehicle canopies as a couple of my warwalkers didn't have them in their boxes, and GW sent me two falcons...:p

Darkspear
01-12-2010, 00:39
I did have problems with the customer service. 2 years ago, I made a direct order and I receive nothign after more than 28 days. I sent emails but received no replies. I was so angry that I called GW Nottingham (I am located in SE Asia mind you). Only after the call did I receive my purchases just days before Xmas.

I also had some faulty parts from a bits order made previously, despite my many callls they are enver replaced.

If you asked me, I find GW customer services sloppy. I have bought stuff from other companies and the experience were a lot better.

SamaNagol
01-12-2010, 01:40
Bits ordering was never unprofitable. It was never something which they needed to downsize. It was simply something which solely existed as a fan service to a very niche part of the gaming community and they didn't need to continue doing it to grow and prosper as a company.

And unfortunately that is why it doesn't exist anymore. With the move over to predominantly plastic sprues, the online bits resellers are having a very good time of it but there is always that one nice metal piece that you really want. Such is life.

FabricatorGeneralMike
01-12-2010, 04:14
I did have problems with the customer service. 2 years ago, I made a direct order and I receive nothign after more than 28 days. I sent emails but received no replies. I was so angry that I called GW Nottingham (I am located in SE Asia mind you). Only after the call did I receive my purchases just days before Xmas.

I also had some faulty parts from a bits order made previously, despite my many callls they are enver replaced.

If you asked me, I find GW customer services sloppy. I have bought stuff from other companies and the experience were a lot better.

I'm sorry that happened to you. You seem to be in the minority tho as most of the time they are on top of it. I have found more often then not that the situation is resolved as fast as possible. I don't have alot of nice things to say about GW especially after working there, but the CS is top notch. =o]

Corax the Deliverer
01-12-2010, 04:42
I had a horrible experience with Games Workshop that made me furious. I ordered a book online. They charged my credit card. Nothing never arrived. I called Games Workshop about why I hadn't received my order. The customer service guy informed me the price was wrong online and that is why I hadn't received my order. I asked him if he was going to honor the online price since it was still that price online. He told me no and two weeks later finally reversed the charge. I manage the east coast of a retailer and I would of fired my employees if the would have treated me that way. They were rude, insulting and unprofessional.

marv335
01-12-2010, 09:55
Can you explain how?

It was a cost decision.
I went to Lenton on a visit a few years ago (while the bitz service was still running)
The amount of floorspace the storage took up was incredible.
Floorspace costs money.
Also there is the manpower requirement, wastage, additional complexity of packing.
It just wasn't worth the hassle for GW.
Additionally, with the move towards plastics, there is less call for parts.
It was a niche at best and it took up a proportionally larger amount of the factory's time than it was worth.

LonelyPath
01-12-2010, 11:08
I miss the days when you could order complete boxes over the phone and ask to have items in said box swapped out for other things. Again this drew on manpower and required alot more time to process orders and they stopped performing the service when they could be putting the same energy and time into creating a better turnover of their resources.

Abaraxas
02-12-2010, 09:43
I bought a box of Grey Hunters from a hobby shop that sold GW back in 94 or so and to my utter dismay it was missing some of the sprues-I called them (Games Workshop) and they sent me what was missing, no questions asked.

I went from feeling jilted after forking out what was a lot of money to me back then to happily relieved after that phonecall-the guy was really cool to me and said it happens occasionally.

Years later I ordered some bitz and they took longer than usual to arrive because they didnt have the parts in Australia.
When I got my order, it had a letter of apology redeemable for free postage on another order.
I didnt call them or anything, in fact I hadnt particularly noticed I hadnt got my bitz yet...they did it on their own accord, really good stuff.

Its smart buiseness, Ive always had a high regard for them after the Grey Hunter scandal (looking back I think the hobby guy or his mates had looted the box)

ghoulio
02-12-2010, 10:50
I bought a box of Grey Hunters from a hobby shop that sold GW back in 94 or so and to my utter dismay it was missing some of the sprues-I called them (Games Workshop) and they sent me what was missing, no questions asked.

I went from feeling jilted after forking out what was a lot of money to me back then to happily relieved after that phonecall-the guy was really cool to me and said it happens occasionally.

Years later I ordered some bitz and they took longer than usual to arrive because they didnt have the parts in Australia.
When I got my order, it had a letter of apology redeemable for free postage on another order.
I didnt call them or anything, in fact I hadnt particularly noticed I hadnt got my bitz yet...they did it on their own accord, really good stuff.

Its smart buiseness, Ive always had a high regard for them after the Grey Hunter scandal (looking back I think the hobby guy or his mates had looted the box)

Abaraxas is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Right up there with Frakienfish and Star Crash.

farfromsam
02-12-2010, 15:49
I hope GW sticks with this style of Customer Service. I believe one of the reasons they've been able to is that we are (mostly) an honest customer base. I'd hate to see people abuse the system to the point they remove it.

Hrw-Amen
02-12-2010, 16:43
I'm not sure why, but it appears that some of us have problems with GW customer service whilst the majority of people have no trouble at all.

As I have posted in prior threads I have twice had problems and both times they have failed to sort them out and with some degree of rudeness.

Once when i got a box of Shinning Spears that had no stands. I telephoned, offerred to buy a set as I had got the box, (Still shrink wrapped mind you.) from an external retailer who was having a sale. They refused to take my order over the telephone saying I had to go online and never mentioned anything about just shipping me some.

The second time I had just come out of hospital and was house bound. I had bought an Ork Stompa as a project for this period just before going to hospital. When I openned the box I found the front armour sections warped and twisted. (Looked like melted?) Again they refused to replace the bits when i called them. On this occasion they insisted I took the model back to where I bought it. I explained i could not as i had just had an operation and could not get about. (The store was a 70 mile round trip away.) They refused to help and said that was the only way to get a refund or replacement.

I offtend wonder when I read the threads on here what other people do and say to get things sorted out so well and quickly? My wife tells me I am too polite and that often A: Comes across and false and possibly creepy. B: Sounds like I am lying. Or C: I just am too polite to make a big enough fuss and give up letting them get away with it.

What do other people who have had bad experiences with GW customer service think? Or indeed what do the ones who have had a good experience say or do to get the outcome they desire?

AngryAngel
02-12-2010, 17:29
I have had no problem at all with GW customer service. They've always been prompt and trouble free for me. I haven't even called on on a few fowl ups over the years. I get alot of GW stuff, and if I've had a problem, I've always gotten a prompt fix to it.

Can't say I had to get angry or loud at any time. They've if anything just offerd the fix, and confirmed address, and said it was on its way. Perhaps those with negative run ins have just had to deal with the wrong people ?

From anyone I know who has dealt with them its always been overwhelmingly positive.

Abaraxas
02-12-2010, 17:42
Abaraxas is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Right up there with Frakienfish and Star Crash.

well good sir, let me assure you that I was most unimpressed with ghoulio the motion picture :o

LonelyPath
02-12-2010, 17:56
@ Hrw-Amen - GW now require people to post the defective product to them or return it to the store they purchased it from. This started a little while back after people were suspected of taking advantage of the replacement service they'd provided. Basically people were buying a product then calling up to say it was defective in order to get a free 2nd product. I know someone that used to be with a group I used to game with that really took advantage and got 4 Land Raiders for the price of 1 by calling up saying the first was defective, waited a month and called again to say that 1 he bought from a store was defective. While most of us are honest, some of us aren't :(

I was a little miffed when this happened to me as I don't get out much myself (physically disabled) and the store I bought it from was a problem filled train ride (I need to call up a week in advance to make arrangements to get help which often isn't supplied even when I do!) and in the end had to have my neighbour go and send it to GW for me (nice of them to do so). As soon as the item was posted I called them again, gave proof of postage and they immediately sent a replacement which arrived the next day (they got the one I'd had sent back a few days later, why waste money on fast postage, heh).

But, yes, it's now standard practice to provide proof that the item is defective in order to get a replacement.

stroller
02-12-2010, 18:38
Most people have complaints (,and many of them) about GamesWorkshop reguardless of what they do. But I have never heard anything about poor about the customer service they provide. Which is hard to do providing to models world wide.

So thank you GW, although your models are expensive, at least I know I'll get what I pay for and not have the Inquisition after me.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.... (sorry... a bit....)

Daklathen
02-12-2010, 23:56
I played (and then worked) at the GW shop that Swan (one of the leads for the US customer service office) was the manager of. He is a great guy and really helpful.

I have been having issues with my White Dwarf subscription lately. I have it sent to my house, but if it arrives, it shows up 3 weeks after it's available in stores, and most of the time it never shows up. I just give them a call and they will send me a new one, no problem. Almost always gets to my house the next day.

Cry of the Wind
03-12-2010, 01:53
I've never had a problem with GW or FW. I've had a few miscast models come my way from GW and the odd wrong item from FW but have never had a problem with my issue being resolved no matter the complaint. In that area, GW and FW have my respect and admiration.

eldargal
03-12-2010, 04:35
The logistics behind the bitz service were horrendous, though there was some discussion around one of the game days here in Warseer I think, with someone from GW saying they wanted to bring back the bitz service as well as be able to sell every model Citadel ever produced. But they are still trying to find a way to make it logistically possible.
It may even have been Jervis Johnson himself, can anyone remember what thread it was in? I'm sure I didn't imagine it.