PDA

View Full Version : Is WoC Slannesh magic any good

Hashulaman
02-12-2010, 00:10
Slannesh seems to be getting the shaft everwhere in WoC these days. Is the same for magic? Does Slannesh magic suck as well?

theunwantedbeing
02-12-2010, 00:25
Slannesh seems to be getting the shaft everwhere in WoC these days. Is the same for magic? Does Slannesh magic suck as well?

Firstly, your choice of wording for this question is hailarious.

Secondly, it's not that bad really.
All low values and easily castable, you'll not want more than a couple of mages though, so best use a high level caster.

Ecstatic seizures is a slightly toned down dwellers below.
Hellshriek is as always very useful and being able to frenzy your units is never a bad thing.

Dreadgrass
02-12-2010, 00:38
Slaanesh magic, more than any other, is where I'd say take 3rd eye of Tzeentch (Cause calling it 3rd eye of slaanesh is just plain wrong) As slaanech spells are good, but situational. If you come across daemons or undead they're of less value since the enemy army is immune to psychology, but since both armies tend to run a caster with one of the full rulebook lores (Master of sorcery or forbidden lore) 3rd eye makes up for that.

Slaanesh isn't that bad this edition, if you need a unit to operate away from the BSB's range, slaanesh is great! They're not as killy as khorne, and they're not as hard to kill as Tzeentch, but they are solid, dependable, and, compared to other marks, slightly cheaper.

Slaanesh units at the moment, seem to be the victim of being the worst of a great bunch. Any other army offered a unit of slaanesh marked chaos warriors would leap at it, it's just that us Warriors of Chaos players are spoilt with other options!

Evil Hypnotist
02-12-2010, 07:32
I did enjoy casting Hellshriek on my friends gunline and see his 3 main units run off the table. Serves him right for keeping them next the the table edge :D

Harwammer
02-12-2010, 09:16
Its either great or rubbish, depending on what you face. As stated by a previous poster, if you can't guarantee getting the nonpsych-dependent spells then it is a good idea to take Third Eye as insurance.

theorox
02-12-2010, 10:11
I personally don't think Slaanesh Magic "Sucks shaft" at all.

:D

Theo

reddevil18
02-12-2010, 15:06
I have never used that lore, i may try it one day just to test it out :)

decker_cky
02-12-2010, 15:23
It's a lore that when it's good, it's great. The suggestion for third eye is great, since there's times when a backup lore would be key.

tarrym
02-12-2010, 20:31
Seems reasonable. I've had my own Slaanesh themed WoC army for a while now and have rarely used the Slaanesh lore (as my opponents both own VC armies). However I can see the 3rd eye working well.

Havock
03-12-2010, 14:15
It is better now than in 7th, with non-psych armies becoming more prevalent. Either run it as a level 4 or as a level 2 in support of a level 4.

I am playing with the latter idea. The basic spell is actually rather good nowadays, infantry units being more susceptible to D6 S3 hits.
Still wish my level 2s could take shadows :(

GreySeerZ
03-12-2010, 15:05
I've always been interested in taking it, but have never wrote a list where it fits in. When going with level 4s I just can's seem to justify leaving my disc at home, since it gets him into perfect positions and he usually has the ward to back it up. I guess I could run him on a steed/horse with knights or something. I just feel that there are other lores which do the same things better.

Like the above poster said, seizures is a lesser dwellers, hellshriek = hellcannons but the hellcannons have more utility. The one spell that might really be fun to play with is the delusions one. I could see how getting one unit out of position could be game changing. But for now I think I'll stick with Tzeentch and rulebook lores like shadow. IMO Pandemonium + puppet is just lethal for the enemy's magic phase and treason is down right ridiculous in 8th, watching a horde of swordmasters tear itself apart and a unit of grave guard KB through its own regen save is just priceless. With hordes and the like running around I pray for it every game.

theSkullduggery1
03-12-2010, 15:27
My most recent game was the first time that I took a Slaanesh Sorcerer, Lvl 4 with Diabolic Splendour (also a BSB with Doom Totem). First turn my Sorc went to the middle of the board and cast hellshriek, caused 5 units to panic and 2 went off the table...I felt a little bad for how effective it actually was, but I guess I've also taken out 600+ point units with a Infernal Gateway.

After that Slaanesh was still good; Titillating delusions saved me from a charge I didn't want to face and got me into two combats that were in my favor, and ecstatic seizures did really well even though I was facing beastmen and everything was T4.

There were more failed panic tests that game than I have ever seen!

Lord Inquisitor
03-12-2010, 16:23
(Cause calling it 3rd eye of slaanesh is just plain wrong)
*Snicker*.

decker_cky
04-12-2010, 15:53
(Cause calling it 3rd eye of slaanesh is just plain wrong)

Third leg of slaanesh?

GenerationTerrorist
04-12-2010, 16:06
Slaanesh magic needs alot more cunning to use correctly than Tzeentch or Nurgle.

Like others have said, though, it is next to useless against ITP armies like Undead or Daemons. Against stuff like Empire or OnG, it is fantastic.