PDA

View Full Version : New GKs Counts as for Pre-Heresy Thousand Sons

CoolKidRoc
02-12-2010, 15:50
I can not wait for the new GK dex to come out, it just sounds so incredibly awesome!

Re-rollable armor saves, Everyone has psychic abilities, vehicles that are psychic. It just totally screams Thousand Sons. Doesn't it? I mean people will have to get past the storm bolters, and the NFWs but I think you could just say they're psychic weapons and it'll all be good.

I think it'll work for Pre-Heresy or Current TSons too! You can bend the fluff either way really, right?

What do you guys think :D

Koschai
02-12-2010, 15:58
That is exactly what I am planning on doing!

I'm already starting to look into picking up some Thousnd Sons models for the head's and torsos. Of course I've been stung before on jumping the gun re codexes releases so I wont drop too much cash until I see the pre release copy at our local store.

DuskRaider
02-12-2010, 16:50
You don't even know if the rumors are true. I'd hold out until you have the codex in hand.

Reflex
02-12-2010, 20:48
I'd be ok with this as a pre heresy army. If someone wanted to do it as a 1k sons army now i'd have a problem with it. but it if the rumours are true it could be a good conversion idea.

oldschoolmonk
02-12-2010, 21:38
It has to be better than the existing options for Thousand Sons. Even if the end result is being able to play a 20-30 strong marine army (no difference) and have a chance of winning (theres the difference) that says a lot! I would just be VERY cautious with your WYSIWYG, because a poorly done substitute would be very frustrating.

DarkCube
03-12-2010, 01:08
I will only allow it if my opponent takes the time to convert stuff into Thousand Sons.

Proxying does not do this awesome idea justice.

feintstar
03-12-2010, 01:25
You'd need a TSon kit or 3 and a few Tomb Kings kits for the weapons mostly... Painted Red and Gold...

I think you sold me. I can't stand PA GKs (purist) but this, this works.

They will apparantly have ATSKNF (Up for discussion), and I don't know if preheresy TSons go with that or not. I thought that was a quote from the Codex Astartes. But still, it works. I suppose they've been stuck in the warp for 10 millenia but for them no time has passed - escaped from the planet of sorcerors before the rubric went off - that sort of thing.

I like.

CaptainOtter
03-12-2010, 03:15
Eh, I can't really see Thousand Sons being that rock hard. Grey Knights seem to have statlines that are pretty well above the standard marine. Thousand Sons shouldn't be tougher than their fellow legions.

CoolKidRoc
03-12-2010, 03:39
Eh, I can't really see Thousand Sons being that rock hard. Grey Knights seem to have statlines that are pretty well above the standard marine. Thousand Sons shouldn't be tougher than their fellow legions.

I'm pretty sure all the stat lines are exactly the same, especially if they're going back to S4 NFWs. It's just the psychic stuff that makes them more powerful... hence the Psychic Tsons :)

I think the only problem with WYSIWYG would be the storm bolters, do you arm them with storm bolters or do you give them normal bolters and call them magical?

CaptainOtter
03-12-2010, 03:55
I'm pretty sure all the stat lines are exactly the same, especially if they're going back to S4 NFWs. It's just the psychic stuff that makes them more powerful... hence the Psychic Tsons :)

I think the only problem with WYSIWYG would be the storm bolters, do you arm them with storm bolters or do you give them normal bolters and call them magical?

From what i hear (and I this all rumors on this site), GK are going to be highly elite and will have very different statlines. 2A, and they might keep WS5. I can't see any reason for a basic thousand son to have a statline like that. And I can't imagine NFW not giving at least something, even if they are simply power weapons. Again, that's all speculation so they could end up having a somewhat tame statline.

Yeah, Thousand Sons did have some sorcery here and there, but from what I've read the basic foot soldier was never all that powerful compared to other legions. The impression I got was that Thousand Sons had a much higher rate of psykers, and a high ratio of marines with small, latent powers. It's not like each marine was trained to use those powers in the same way that every grey knight is a fully trained psyker. But I'm not exactly a TS expert and haven't read every piece of background out there, so I might be wrong.

I think the only way using GK as TS would work is if you make them veteran TS. Elites who would be more in touch with their powers, have access to better equipment, and more highly trained. That would work very nicely.

CoolKidRoc
03-12-2010, 04:35
Yeah, I'm expecting to get the TSon books for Xmas so I'll be doing a lot of reading over of them then, but I can see where you are coming from.

I think there is like a coven or something of the Librarians... maybe a pre-heresy librarian tson coven would be cool? I dunno lol.

feintstar
03-12-2010, 05:34
Yeah, Thousand Sons did have some sorcery here and there, but from what I've read the basic foot soldier was never all that powerful compared to other legions. The impression I got was that Thousand Sons had a much higher rate of psykers, and a high ratio of marines with small, latent powers. It's not like each marine was trained to use those powers in the same way that every grey knight is a fully trained psyker. But I'm not exactly a TS expert and haven't read every piece of background out there, so I might be wrong.

We I'm not a TSon expert but I read the heresy book and they are all psykers in there. Each unit would have a member from each seperate psychic school/clan: One group did divination, one did kinetics such as sheilds, one did fire, one did telepathy, and there were other minor disciplines, all vying for power and influence within magnus's inner circle. Each member of the unit contributed to the whole, such that as long as the Telepath was alive, all the unit could benefit from the foresight of the divinator, for example, and thus when the Tsons fought every warrior fought in perfectly directed unison with foresight of the enemy's actions - until they started taking casualties that is.

That's pretty decent reason for them to have WS5 to be honest. 2 Attacks is less obvious, but could be explained by wargear... I guess... The stormbolter is also a hard question to solve, wysiwyg wise... Maybe if you could model on multiple Ammo Chains, but otherwise leave them as bolters? Sorcerous Ammofeeds for counts-as stormbolters? There's a scene in the TSons Heresy book where the main characters are stripping and cleaning their bolters using their psychic powers and transparent/at-this-stage-apparently-benign deamonic familiars.

You would also be inclined to include the penitent engines (which are rumoured to have a Toughness value) in a list like this, as substitute for Chaos Spawn which is the random mutation curse of the TSon legion prior to the rubric. Interesting indeed.

Also, nothing stopping you from going with TSon terminator coven + vehicles to the max. WOuldn't worry too much then about stormbolters vs combibolters.

CoolKidRoc
03-12-2010, 14:32
True true... all termie armie, never done that before. Could be interesting!

feintstar
03-12-2010, 15:24
I'm having a hard time figuring out what model kits to use:

I could go for straight TSons and grab a bunch of Tomb Guard for th swords, but then I'd have to painstakingly file off the chaos iconography that's all over the things.

Alternately I could grab some ?Maximus Pattern armour from forgeworld (at far greater cost) but then I'd have to patch some Iconography onto them such as headpieces and the like.

Not certain how to run with this.

CoolKidRoc
03-12-2010, 15:38
Yeah... TSons are probably the hardest pre-heresy chapter to convert up. I was almost thinking about designing my own armor and just molding them for myself because that would almost be easier lol...

So I guess the breakdown at the moment would be something like;

Head - TSons and/or Warriors of Chaos (with GS and horns filed off)
Sword - Tomb Guard
Body - Normal SMs
Pre-Heresy Icons - GS

It'll be an undertaking for sure.

Aiwass
03-12-2010, 15:42
There are lots of pre heresy TS in the internet, and a very beautiful ones here on warseer. Search the ones of Magos Explorator, very nice ones and easy to make.

CoolKidRoc
03-12-2010, 15:44
Oooh... Step by step instructions :)

http://www.mywargame.com/2010/02/15/creating-space-marine-legions-thousand-sons-part-1/

Ooh... and I can't believe my buddy didn't tell me he had these pads made up. I'll have to bug him about it.

http://chapterhousestudios.com/webshop/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.browse&category_id=44

Raibaru
03-12-2010, 19:08
Thousand Sons bits:

Get the helmet from Maxmini.eu's steam knight line. They'll let you order just one type if you want. One resembles the helmets on the Thousand Sons book cover quite well as well as the artwork. Another they have makes a good standard helmet for non-sorcerer types.

The the robed DA bodies for sorcerers with chaos bits and guns. Use remaining chaos space marine bits for the diversity in a pre-heresy list. Use FW to make captains and sternguard types.

Maxmini.eu also has pre-heresy jetpacks that look good for assault marines should they exist in the grey knights codex. They also have a pack with books, candles, etc you can use.

http://www.maxmini.eu/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=56

http://www.maxmini.eu/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=60

Then buy a ton of these to sprinkle throughout your army. Someone posted these up on another board and they claim they fit well. Far cheaper then the Tomb Kings alternative. They also have staffs you may want to consider.
http://www.brickforge.com/store/home.php?cat=273

Finally, you can get some TSon's inspired stuff listed above here:
http://chapterhousestudios.com/webshop/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.browse&category_id=44&vmcchk=1

A dark crimson color with white+mithril for the trim looks good. I think the the older artwork they also used bronze. But the new thousand sons cover shows mostly white/silver trim.