PDA

View Full Version : A question regarding Lucius and the Eldar

Dakkagor
02-12-2010, 21:02
So Lucius The Eternal, champion of Slaanesh, is killed by a Craftworld Eldar.

ALL craftworld eldar carry a spirit stone to specificially protect themselves from Slaanesh. With that in mind, would Lucy be able to possess the Eldar in question? Similarly, what happens if he is killed by a wraithlord, or flung into the warp by a D cannon?

I know we have already argued about the things that could kill Lucy and get away with it, for example tau gun drones, anything from the Tyranid or necron armies, et cetera. I'm really interested in peoples thoughts on this particular metaphysical gordian knot.

Lord Inquisitor
02-12-2010, 21:09
The spirit stone captures the Eldar's soul on death. However, Lucy's soul invades his killer (I presume) so I don't think the spirit stone would stop him.

Col. Tartleton
02-12-2010, 21:59
Chaos is best described as "Maphacking." They win. You lose. Sorry buddy, see you later. If Lucius is Immortal he can't die. Period. Even if someone figures a way to outfox him, Slaanesh will cheat. It's not like they specified that's the only way he can come back. That's just how he comes back. You could kill him and then commit suicide. He'd just reincarnate some other way and go on.

Slaanesh always gets his man. Lucius could be effectively immortal like Kharn. It's just that Slaanesh is screwy and likes to make things difficult. So instead his champion is a fickle duelist who loses once and a while. Whether its intentional or not who knows? The point is Lucius as an entity is Immortal.

TheLaughingGod
02-12-2010, 22:00
I like to think that a Phoenix Lord will kill Lucius at one point and Lucius will cackle and go to invade the Phoenix Lords body... only to find thousands of souls in there waiting for him. :evilgrin:

Eumerin
02-12-2010, 22:09
I like to think that a Phoenix Lord will kill Lucius at one point and Lucius will cackle and go to invade the Phoenix Lords body... only to find thousands of souls in there waiting for him. :evilgrin:

Eh...

The real surprise would come in finding that there isn't a body at all. The Phoenix Lords are largely animated armor at this point.

Israfael
02-12-2010, 22:12

Having a champion of Slaanesh sharing their "home"? That doesn't sound especially bad for Lucius, as much as it does the Eldar souls, haha.

I believe Col. Tartleton, as always, has done an excellent job describing what would happen. Chaos cheats, Lucius is a prized toy, he'd find a way.

Gimp
02-12-2010, 22:16
I have thought about this as well.

What if he was captured by Dark Eldar who then ate his soul. Would he be able to come back?

Scalebug
02-12-2010, 22:26
In the years that has gone by since the character was first introduced, has not every possible "What if Lucius is killed by X" been debated to...well, death? :rolleyes:

TheLaughingGod
02-12-2010, 22:47
Having a champion of Slaanesh sharing their "home"? That doesn't sound especially bad for Lucius, as much as it does the Eldar souls, haha.

I believe Col. Tartleton, as always, has done an excellent job describing what would happen. Chaos cheats, Lucius is a prized toy, he'd find a way.

Considering the raw power of a Phoenix Lord gesalt, who actually absorbs and dominates souls itself. (Korlandril is completely lost in the vast galaxy of souls contained in Karandras)

I suspect Lucius (being but one soul) would be hilariously trapped

Scalebug
02-12-2010, 23:10
It's not really "thousands of souls" in the Phoenix Lords...

Given that they have not been around more than 10K years, how often do you think they get killed and have a new exarch take up the armour?

TheLaughingGod
03-12-2010, 04:04
It's not really "thousands of souls" in the Phoenix Lords...

Given that they have not been around more than 10K years, how often do you think they get killed and have a new exarch take up the armour?

No idea. But remember that Exarchs are a gestalt of souls by themselves. I forget how many souls made up Korlandril's Exarch or the Exarch he became, but I believe it was more than a handful.

Eumerin
03-12-2010, 05:05
No idea. But remember that Exarchs are a gestalt of souls by themselves. I forget how many souls made up Korlandril's Exarch or the Exarch he became, but I believe it was more than a handful.

iirc it was eight - including Korlandril himself. But I could be mistaken.

In any event, while it's true that there probably aren't 10,000 souls making up your typical Phoenix Lord (though Phoenix Lords have been around for more than 10,000 years - 10,000 years prior is when the Horus Heresy occured), the number is probably in the high hundreds at minimum. I would imagine that the Phoenix Lords see a lot more combat - and therefore death - than your typical Eldar who is content to spend his entire life on one craftworld.

Hellebore
03-12-2010, 05:06
I have thought about this as well.

What if he was captured by Dark Eldar who then ate his soul. Would he be able to come back?

Lol, you'd get thousands of Lucius:evilgrin: Who would then go on to be eaten by other dark eldar and so on until all of Commoragh is Lucius the Eternal. One shot Dark Eldar extermination bomb.

Of course, the first archon with a soul trap to kill him might keep him as a pet...

But as the Colonel says, Slannesh cheats.

Hellebore

Paul Nexus
03-12-2010, 07:17
In the years that has gone by since the character was first introduced, has not every possible "What if Lucius is killed by X" been debated to...well, death

Yes but, just like Lucius, this topic finds a way back...

Dark Eldar are the way to go. Turn him into something amusing without killing him.

ryng_sting
03-12-2010, 09:12
To a DE, is Lucius a kind of never-ending meal?

Hendarion
03-12-2010, 09:56
To a DE, is Lucius a kind of never-ending meal?
More like never ending castor oil. As soon as he's in, he's out already yet again.

eldargal
03-12-2010, 10:01
Thats a mental image I could have done without.

*sploomf* 'Haha! Born again, thanks Ms Slaanesh!'

DarthMcBob
03-12-2010, 15:27
Meh. Have the Tyranids kill him. Or the Necrons. You have to feel triumph about it for the whole soul possession to work. If you don't feel anything, you're cool.

For that matter, he could just step on a land mine or something.

I don't think the Dark Eldar would want him. They hate and fear Slaanesh above all others. They forbid psykers to avoid attracting his/her attention. Taking such a servant alive back to their city would gain just that. Besides, he'd probably enjoy what they'd do to him anyway.

TheLaughingGod
03-12-2010, 15:42
I don't think the Dark Eldar would want him. They hate and fear Slaanesh above all others. They forbid psykers to avoid attracting his/her attention. Taking such a servant alive back to their city would gain just that. Besides, he'd probably enjoy what they'd do to him anyway.

The irony here is that what they'd do is put him in a sensory deprivation chamber and leave him. That's what they do to their own, when it's time for a punishment.

Clockwork-Knight
04-12-2010, 00:48
Lucius only gets ressurected as long as Slaanesh has the power to do so, and he pleases Slaanesh with his battles.

Even if Lucius died by falling from a chair and breaking his neck while on a ship that is being destroyed by a weird space phenomena that has nothing do with the warp, he'd still get up somewhere and someday (perhaps even in the past) in the eye of terror, if Slaanesh wants it.

feintstar
04-12-2010, 04:16
That's a brilliant story idea though - a Group farseers dispatch a group of warrior aspects and various with intention of trapping Lucius in a soulstone then putting it in some deep dark, hidden chamber with wards and automated gaurdians such that in 10K years time some arrogant monkiegh can release him back into the universe...

ctsteel
04-12-2010, 11:10
I know the webway is essentially a series of sealed tunnels through warpspace, which daemonic forces can't get into (without assistance or a weak spot in the wall of the tunnel). This makes me wonder if Lucius was taken into a section of webway, which was then permanently sealed off, he'd be essentially trapped inside a bubble which the warp can't get to. So in theory he could be trapped there.

It might depend on what happens to a soul when a body dies in the webway though - is the soul itself trapped by the barriers that protect the webway, or can the soul still somehow bleed into the warp - which seems odd since this would indicate that the warp can still be accessed from within the webway, which it shouldn't since it's protected. If it can get out, then he can still reincarnate. If it can't get out, this opens up a can of worms in that if there is zero warp access within the webway, that should mean that all psychic powers are non-workable in there also, and I'm reasonably sure that's not the case since the eldar use them constantly....