PDA

View Full Version : BL Recommendations?

RealMikeBob
03-12-2010, 11:59
My partner would like to buy some Warhammer books for her nephew's Christmas as he's taken a real interest in the background of his army recently. However he's only 11 and I don't really read many Black Library novels (and very rarely Fantasy stuff). Can anyone recommend any decent books that would be suitable for his age (preferably featuring Orcs)?

Any help would be appreciated, cheers!

BobtheInquisitor
03-12-2010, 14:57
Are you asking for Warhammer Fantasy books that involve Orcs? Or Warhammer Fantasy in general?

Gotrek and Felix fight a lot of Orcs in Trollslayer (the first book of the first omnibus), which is a good read, but dark and violent as most BL books are.

You also might try a collection of short stories, such as Tales from the Old World, to get him started on the universe in bite-sized chunks.

Xisor
03-12-2010, 17:44
Indeed, the books are quite dark, quite violent, but I don't think there's anything about it that's particularly...glorifying about it.

The Gotrek & Felix books certainly feature a lot of orcs throughout, but for a young chap, it's not hugely important for them to start at the beginning, especially not for books so thoroughly serialised as the G&F books are. Being only eleven and presumably having a lot else to consume his time, he might wish to delve right in to the novel Orcslayer, which features the Orcs prominently?

As one of my earliest BL books, I thoroughly enjoyed Dragon Slayer, but then I was more excitable about dwarfs!

RealMikeBob
04-12-2010, 07:04
Are you asking for Warhammer Fantasy books that involve Orcs? Or Warhammer Fantasy in general?

Just Warhammer novels in general. One that gives some insight to his army would be preferable but that's not vital.

I like the idea of a short story collection though. Thanks :)

Da'Mass
10-12-2010, 23:35
At age 11 I had Realm of Chaos: Slaves of Darkness, and I turned out juuust fiiine.

I've never come across anything inappropriate in any of the BL books I've read.

Except for a crude love scene in Konrad which is now OOP & some extremely mild references to the same in Nagash the Unbroken & Caiphas Cain.. teh dirty dog. And I've only come across that word that rhymes 'brit' recently in Dead Men Walking.

Maybe Empire...story of Sigmar Heldenhammer.. which has an epic fight with Orcs at the end, and a nice starting point for his quest for lore for how the humans got started.

Discworld books pose a bigger risk.
And anyway, by 11, your nephew's female counterparts will all be stuck into the Twilight books and they are pure filth.

Rokemikal
11-12-2010, 20:51
Gotrek and Felix all the way

BobtheInquisitor
12-12-2010, 22:23
I would not recommend starting the Gotrek and Felix books with Orcslayer. First of all, it has an ending that could best be described as ...not representative of the franchise. Second, I find it's the weakest of all the Gotrek and Felix books even excluding the ending. Third, it takes place 20 years after the real Gotrek and Felix books and just feels tired and pointless compared to the vitality and excitement of the William King books and the characterization depends too much on familiarity with previous novels even while contradicting much of the character growth from those novels.

Trollslayer is the first, and even if it isn't quite the best (Daemonslayer), it's still a good starting point.