PDA

View Full Version : IA9 and 3D glasses

Dio´Ra
03-12-2010, 17:59
So something occurred to me while reading IA9. There are some pictures which use the colours blue and red to overlay with each other, the same way as you do it for 3D. Seeing with the whole 3D craze going on: tv, computer screens, gameboys and more and more movies. Made me wonder if FW was just experimenting here with this gimmick.

Now I don't have any 3D glasses laying around the place so I couldn't realy test my theory on 3D images in IA9. So I was wondering if there is someone out there with 3D glasses and a copy of IA9 who could check the following images on pages: 10/11, 20, 27, 32 and 36/37. There are more in the book, but I guess just looking at one might prove my theory.

Also feel free to convince me that this 3D theory is insane and I have gone mad ;) But the best way to do so is just by trying it out :rolleyes:

jt.glass
03-12-2010, 18:20
Modern 3D glasses do not work off different colours, do they?

glass.

Formerly Wu
03-12-2010, 19:01
Correct. Modern 3D uses polarized light, not red/blue.

But might be worth a try, if anyone has an old pair of red/blue lying around.

carldooley
03-12-2010, 19:44
it could also be possible that you got one whose RGB layers were mislaid. Sometimes when the different printings don't overlay correctly you get what you are describing. You may want to return it and get another copy (considering that IA books aren't exactly cheap).

Dio´Ra
03-12-2010, 20:59
it could also be possible that you got one whose RGB layers were mislaid. Sometimes when the different printings don't overlay correctly you get what you are describing. You may want to return it and get another copy (considering that IA books aren't exactly cheap).

If that is the problem then it won't be easy to get a new copy, seeing how I would need to send it back and this one is full with autographs from the whole FW crew from the last GD etc.

And this red and blue overlaying doesn't occur everywhere in the book. Only with those specific frames, everything else looks fine. It just gave me the impression that if I were to read it with those old red/blue 3D glasses it would give the impression of having a hologram frame...

ctsteel
03-12-2010, 22:04
try some blue and red cellophane and just hold it to your eyes. or a thin glaze of blue/red ink wash on some clear plastic (there's a hobby-inspired solution to everything)

ForgottenLore
03-12-2010, 22:22
I see the effect you are talking about, so it occurs on more than one book.

I tried using some colored acrylic I had lying around and didn't really see any noticeable effect.

UberBeast
04-12-2010, 01:18
Lazy GW always spends tons of money making great books and then never checks them off the printers!

Chem-Dog
04-12-2010, 02:44
Correct. Modern 3D uses polarized light, not red/blue.

But might be worth a try, if anyone has an old pair of red/blue lying around.

It's nearly christmas, I'd eat my own rectum if SOMEBODY on warseer didn't get access to a box of Cadbury's Roses (and all the red/blue cellophane you could ever need) over the holidays.

ehlijen
04-12-2010, 02:55
Modern 3D glasses do not work off different colours, do they?

glass.

They do, but that requires a device that can actually emit polarised light to be filtered differently by each lense (ie a screen of some sort). With printed media that isn't a practical option, so printed 3D effects are still reliant on either the magic eye pattern effect or colours.

eyescrossed
04-12-2010, 04:09
... I'd eat my own rectum ...
I truly doubt that :p