PDA

View Full Version : Canonical Kabal information

Iracundus
04-12-2010, 01:47
In the latest December WD. Sad that official information of a race has to be hunted for and dredged from WD articles rather than being included in the Codex.

Apparently the smallest of the minor Kabals number only a few hundred individuals and are limited to hidden locations or scattered powerbases, while the major ones have millions of Warriors. Then it goes on to discuss some of the other major Kabals depicted in the Dark Eldar Codex, along with their color schemes.

The Last Hatred: Interest in "forbidden arts" and death/necromancy. Some rumor they aim to rise beyond mortality or exterminate the Eldar race and enslave whatever entity is born from the ashes (?Ynnead). Apparently they wage war against the Craftworld Eldar and Exodites with unmatched fury. Also famous for keeping captives alive while wringing out every last bit of suffering, and now able to bind souls to the cadavers permanently. Color scheme: The purple edged black with the blue rectangular detailing

The Bladed Lotus: Determined to preserve their twistedversion of ancient Eldar culture. Everything from their feasts to their warfare has become ritualized. Possible implication therefore they may be a former Eldar noble house. Color scheme: Slightly green edged black

The Black Heart: Big enough to have several Archons each leading separate factions within it, and vying to gain Vect's approval though they refrain from outright murder of their rivals lest they be seen as "blunting one of Vect's favorite tools."

The Black Myriad: Founded by Archon Vhloriac. Possible current Archon is Vhane Kyharc, or perhaps there are also multiple Archons in this Kabal. Vhane forced all the Trueborn in the Tier-Nodal Spires to have their faces altered to be like his. Then forced them to wear masks that resembled his own features. Finally on a raid he unleashed a virus that forced every living creature's features to reform to be like his. Color scheme: Black with armor gaps and recesses red.

The Broken Sigil: Their symbol is Drethuchii meaning Shattering of Harmony. Think Night Lords for the Dark Eldar. Thrive on terror tactics to the point that their Archon Lord Xerathis is looked down upon by rivals for being predictable. Color scheme: Brighter blue edged black

The Obsidian Rose: Currently led by Archon Aestra Khromys (aka Queen of Splinters) formerly of the Black Myriad, who is also another rags to riches story. Technically more like a riches to rags to riches story, in which she became known for quality weapon manufacturing as well as killing Archon Vloriac of the Black Myriad. The Kabal apparently thrives through the quality of its weaponry. Color scheme: The fiery reddish black scheme in the Codex

The Poisoned Tongue: Renowned for their wit and their lies, and taking advantage of their allies. Distrusted by all, but since there is little trust in DE society this isn't a major disadvantage. Led by Lady Malys. Some rumors say they hear 2 voices when she is alone but these spies do not survive long. Apparently can second-guess everyone except Vect, and in recent years apparently even that is changing. Model pictures seem to show association or patronage of the Cult of the Seventh Woe with whom they share similar colors. Color scheme: Blue edged black as per Codex.

The Baleful Gaze: Formed exclusively from those once on the lower rungs of Commorrite society. Led by Lady Llanthei. Control a large portion of Blighthaven Docks. Since they were once haggard and cadaverous, they all prize physical beauty. Color scheme: Similar to the Black Heart except red undersuit and red feet.

That leaves for the canonical Great Kabals: The Wraithkind, The Lords of Iron Thorn, and the Bleaksoul Brethren unaccounted for.

Given their symbol's apparent depiction of a mouthless Mandrake, my personal speculation would be that the Wraithkind have some sort of admiration, relationship, or tie to the Mandrakes. It is also similarly my personal speculation that the Lords of Iron Thorn may have some relationship, origin, or special dominion over "the bleak wilds of Iron Thorn" (p. 12, Dark Eldar Codex).

Update:
As per:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=&pIndex=1&aId=12800025a&multiPageMode=true&start=2&_requestid=943580

Wraithkind: Appears my original speculation about some link to Mandrakes was correct. After attempted secession from Comorragh, Vect's takes revenge with Mandrakes (or similar creatures) and plunges them into a half out of phase state so that this Kabal can only feed outside of the Webway. Color scheme: Blue on black undersuit

Iron Thorn: Former great noble house, that controls the only remaining psy-lotus garden. Apparently still consider themselves "of true blood." Their leader, who wears the Ironthorn Crown, is currently Marquis Valkhere who is apparently a lotus-fiend and over indulges to the point of only spending a few minutes each cycle lucid. Color scheme: Gray on black undersuit

Dying Sun and Falling Moon: Remnant solar cult and lunar sect that still fight each other. Color scheme (whose?): Red edged blue on black undersuit

The Severed: Mutilate their left hand and replace with prosthetics to mimic how their Archon S'aronai Ariensis lost his hand. A space bound Kabal in exile that also collects hands from their victims. Color scheme: Mauve/magenta on greenish undersuit and green paldrons.

Bleaksoul Brethren: Operating out of Viridian Sound (? a realspace location or a Commoragh location). Shark-like teeth and twisted sense of humor. Color scheme: Brown on black undersuit

Flayed Skull: Described in the Codex as militarily the second most powerful behind Vect's Black Heart. Favor aerial forces and Archon was former Reaver. Color scheme: Red on black undersuit

Slashed Eye: Brought to its knees by Baron Sathonyx. Formerly under control of Archon Cythrax, but no longer. Now the Kabal is a tool for the Baron, and they field large numbers of Hellions. Color scheme: Dark purple on black undersuit

Fiend Ascendant: Archon Tarsidhe addicted to gladiatorial spectacles and now for last two years fighting along the Eastern Fringe in a spectacle of theatrical inspired warfare. Color scheme: Blue-gray on brown undersuit.

MajorWesJanson
04-12-2010, 02:49
In the latest December WD. Sad that official information of a race has to be hunted for and dredged from WD articles rather than being included in the Codex.

Yes, it's very sad that they are adding more material for a race besides what is just in the codex. :rolleyes:

Iracundus
04-12-2010, 02:52
Yes, it's very sad that they are adding more material for a race besides what is just in the codex. :rolleyes:

I think you missed the point:

Sad that official information of a race has to be hunted for and dredged from WD articles rather than being included in the Codex.

It is the fact that core information on the major canonical Kabals is being left to be fleshed out in WD articles instead of having this be done in the Codex itself. The key words are "instead" or "rather than", not "besides" the Codex information. It is information that should have been released in the Codex. There isn't any Codex information other than a symbol and a few color schemes. It would be as if there were no information on other major Craftworlds or other major Space Marine Chapters other than a symbol in their Codex, and players then had to go scrounge in WD if they wanted to know more about a particular faction.

Bubbatron
04-12-2010, 11:01
well at least this time you get some background !!!

DE players eh - just never happy !!!!

Idaan
04-12-2010, 11:02
In the designer videos Phil and Jes said that they had so much background for the Dark Eldar that there was no way they could fit it in the codex. I think that it's better that it's released - in whatever form - than to rot in the darkness of Phil's drawer for all eternity. And wasn't "having no new background and just paraphrasing the codex" the main complaint about WD fluff articles? I'm happy to see it at all, and it gives me a reason to buy WD.

Edit:

It would be as if there were no information on other major Craftworlds or other major Space Marine Chapters other than a symbol in their Codex, and players then had to go scrounge in WD if they wanted to know more about a particular faction. There is lots of additional info about variant Aspect Shrines in WD323, including colour schemes and banners.

ashendant
04-12-2010, 11:38
You mean like this one? there are like 8 kabals here, 9 if the twin archon kabal are two kabals
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?categoryId=&pIndex=1&aId=12800025a&multiPageMode=true&start=2

totgeboren
04-12-2010, 12:06
It would be as if there were no information on other major Craftworlds or other major Space Marine Chapters other than a symbol in their Codex, and players then had to go scrounge in WD if they wanted to know more about a particular faction.

Just like in the Chaos Codex! The information given for the Word Bearers, a first founding legion, and the instigators of the Horus Heresy no less, was one picture of a red marine.

It looks like something to get used to.

Iracundus
04-12-2010, 12:27
Alright, then we can update those too then.

As for the other comments, I don't play DE so the original comments were not partisan. It was more about the fact that nothing was said about any other major Kabal other than in the most perfunctory way. It's not as if it were just some minor supplementary detail to a minor Kabal. It would be as if nothing were said about Iyanden in the Eldar Codex beyond a color scheme or other Marine Chapters beyond their Chapter symbol in the SM Codex.

LexxBomb
04-12-2010, 23:03
you know they could just make the codex bigger to fit in all the background material they could ever want...20 extra pages wouldn't blow the budget or the profit margin at all... heck they could charge us an extra 10% and all would still be good.

SgtTaters
04-12-2010, 23:23
Anyone feel that the kabals have little 'meaning' though? I think this comes from DE being post 2e.

Like say if I see yellow/blue CWEldar and blood red space marines, both convey specific army styles with star units (wraiths and death company). If orks have a bunch of buggies or a bunch of dreads, it both implies different Clans.

but with DE right now if I see an all raiderbound list or venom heavy list or one with 3 talos, no specific Kabal comes up. Their distinction comes in being Kabal/Coven/Cult themed, but not a specific named one. Sure this WD and website update lists a ton of kabals, that's great, but none will stick out in my mind. There's just 5 major craftworlds but it goes into detail what each's style is. Other than the Black Hearts, is there really any Kabal that stands out?
Then again, Tau have the same 'problem' (it's not really a problem, just lacks the iconic imagery that the Rogue Trader armies enjoy)

Does Duke Sliscus, Urien Rakarth, or Lelith even have specific color scheme?

Iracundus
04-12-2010, 23:46
but with DE right now if I see an all raiderbound list or venom heavy list or one with 3 talos, no specific Kabal comes up. Their distinction comes in being Kabal/Coven/Cult themed, but not a specific named one. Sure this WD and website update lists a ton of kabals, that's great, but none will stick out in my mind. There's just 5 major craftworlds but it goes into detail what each's style is. Other than the Black Hearts, is there really any Kabal that stands out?

Well yes. The purple armored ones, now known to be the Last Hatred, and the fiery red ones, now known to be the Obsidian Rose do stand out in the vividness of their armor.

If people stressed the Kabal's interests, these preferences could be reflected in game. For example, the Last Hatred's animated cadavers could be represented by Wracks or Grotesques. The former noble houses of Bladed Lotus and Iron Thorn might perhaps have more Trueborn warriors. Wraithkind may have more Mandrakes. Obsidian Rose could stress having lots of splinter or darklight weaponry and so on.

Originally the major Eldar Craftworlds didn't have much beyond just color schemes too. It was only after repeated iterations of the background and people playing up their specialties that they have become more well differentiated and noticeable.

The first two's colors are unknown but Lelith would be in the same colors as the Cult of Strife, since she is their leader. In turn the Cult of Strife seems to have similar colors to the Black Heart, suggesting there may be an alliance or patronage relationship.

Born Again
05-12-2010, 09:18
Just like in the Chaos Codex! The information given for the Word Bearers, a first founding legion, and the instigators of the Horus Heresy no less, was one picture of a red marine.

It looks like something to get used to.

Hey, there's 2 whole paragraphs on page 20, which is an improvement from the 3rd edition codex, where they literally did have just one picture of a model!

Scribe of Khorne
05-12-2010, 17:54
Anyone feel that the kabals have little 'meaning' though? I think this comes from DE being post 2e.

Like say if I see yellow/blue CWEldar and blood red space marines, both convey specific army styles with star units (wraiths and death company). If orks have a bunch of buggies or a bunch of dreads, it both implies different Clans.

Then again, Tau have the same 'problem' (it's not really a problem, just lacks the iconic imagery that the Rogue Trader armies enjoy)

I think its actually refreshing to not be tied to a specific list because I like a specific scheme. Coming from playing WE chaos, and BA, its nice to 'feel' as if I have the whole book to work with.

Sami
05-12-2010, 18:09
Lelith's colours (Cult of Strife) are pretty much nailed down - black armour, green edge highlights, red hair and dark washed-out gold for certain pieces of armour.

The Duke's faction (Sky Serpents) has no colour scheme listed. Seeing as they are a band of pirates drawn from all parts of DE society, I very much doubt there is a unified scheme. Indeed, the profile for The Duke states he has never worn the same outfit twice, so feel free to go nuts with the paint job :D.

As for Urien, there are no colour schemes for the covens, so again you can paint him how you like.

For the others, Malys is Poisoned Tongue who are green hair, black armour, green highlights and some very dark blues in there as well (same gold trims). I'm looking at the codex in bad light atm so it could be that their entire armour is near-black blue rather than pure black.

Of course you can paint them how you like - I'm just letting you know of the schemes used in the colour section of the codex.

Kage2020
05-12-2010, 18:18
I was actually expecting to be underwhelmed by Codex Dark Eldar since the 4e Codex Eldar was pretty yawn-worthy (not terrible, though). While the Greyhaw Dark Elf imagery is all but jumping out of the pages... Well, as much as it means anything, I rather like the new Dark Eldar.

Kage

Poseidal
06-12-2010, 12:06
Is there anything new on Cruella's Kabal or what happened to it/her?

My morbid curiosity is getting the better of me...

Sephiroth
06-12-2010, 15:13
Is there anything new on Cruella's Kabal or what happened to it/her?

My morbid curiosity is getting the better of me...

From what I recall, she controlled the Flayed Skull... so they're still there, but have a new Archon (but might have several).

Does the Codex list the number and name of the "great" Kabals? I was under the impression all where of varying power levels, save for the dominant Black Heart.

Iracundus
06-12-2010, 19:40
In the sidebox "Symbols of the Great Kabals", 8 Kabal symbols are shown (though Black Heart is omitted). These are the Black Myriad, the Bleaksoul Brethren, Lords of Iron Thorn, Wraithkind, Broken Sigil, Last Hatred, Baleful Gaze, and Bladed Lotus.

Nubl0
14-12-2010, 04:15
Is there any more information on the Kabal of the dark mirror? Other than the article on the GW site I can't find anything. I'm doing them anyway as I really like the colour scheme :P just have to think of a suitible name for my archon...

Sephiroth
14-12-2010, 10:46
Is there any more information on the Kabal of the dark mirror? Other than the article on the GW site I can't find anything. I'm doing them anyway as I really like the colour scheme :P just have to think of a suitible name for my archon...

They seem to share the colour scheme of the Lords of Iron Thorn Kabal, except with a purple contrast (eyes, drug-injector lines, hair) instead of the ice blue.

Mind you, the example "Cult of the Lethal Blade" is pretty much identical to the "Cult of the Seventh Woe" in the Codex.

Kiras of the flame
15-12-2010, 04:32
the lore here is helpful for creating your own Kabal...

SgtTaters
15-12-2010, 08:39
Just got that WD, the article is nice, wish there was more. That's the sort of thing that makes WD worth getting.

Makes me wish there were more Special Characters from those Kabals that altered your armylist ala space marine chapter HQ's.

Like....

Last Hatred Archon- blurring the line of life & death
-When a pain token is gained (not by haemonculi) by Trueborn, on a roll of 4+ an additional token is granted

Bladed Lotus/Iron Thorn Archon- faded nobility
-Trueborn are scoring

Broken Sigil Archon- terror lovers
-Torment Grenade Launchers and Grisly Trophies free upgrade on all raiders/ravagers. Army cannot Seize Initiative.

Archon Khromys of Obsidian Rose- peerless artisans
-once per game, a trueborn unit can reroll 1's result with shooting

Baleful Gaze Archon- indomitable wills
- trueborn gain stubborn.

Wraithkind Archon- shadow fiends
- their fluff is too cool and different, their half-shadow forms would either be a drastic rules change or no change at all.

Flayed Skull Archon- (blood) red ones go fasta!
- reavers can be bought from Elite slot, and are scoring.

Lord Damocles
15-12-2010, 10:03
Like....
Then you'd get an Index Astartes style problem though - why paint them blue if the yellow ones are just flat out better?

Nazguire
15-12-2010, 11:42
Then you'd get an Index Astartes style problem though - why paint them blue if the yellow ones are just flat out better?

There was a problem with the Index Astartes rules? I found them to be quite balanced and characterful. Most had drawbacks to go with the advantages (Initiative 3, No Terminator squads, etc)

Iracundus
15-12-2010, 11:57
Just got that WD, the article is nice, wish there was more. That's the sort of thing that makes WD worth getting.

Makes me wish there were more Special Characters from those Kabals that altered your armylist ala space marine chapter HQ's.

Unfortunately there still exists a double standard. If it's Marines then they get special characters or rules. If they're xenos, then well you get nothing other than being told to fudge it with the general list.

That said, I would use taking more (or less) of certain things to represent these Kabals aside from color schemes:

Last Hatred: More Wracks and Grotesques. More Haemonculi.

Bladed Lotus, Iron Thorn: More Trueborn. Maybe less "lower class scum" like Hellions. Use venom blades since they are described as the hallmark of the aristocracy.

Broken Sigil: Phantasm grenades, torment grenades, Vexator mask and grisly trophies.

Obsidian Rose: Lots of splinter weapons. Alternatively, lots of darklight weapons.

Wraithkind: Lots of Mandrakes

Flayed Skull: Everything either flying or embarked on something that flies. Lots of Reavers and fliers.

Cult of the Bladed Hand: Try using only hydra gauntlets as your Wych special weapons.

Sephiroth
27-02-2011, 11:31
From the latest WD...

The Cursed Blade - Name refers to individuals or organizations that rebel against their masters. Thus the cult hold treachery as a high virtue, a process of "accelerated natural selection". Many 'lacerai'.

The Red Grief - Highly mobile, aerial Cult. Very "the ground is unworthy of my feet" attitude, and will dismount from their raiders only to deliver the killing blow. Lots of Reavers, Hellions, etc.

The Pain Eternal - Exceptional in that they don't have an arena in Commorragh, but are a spacefaring Cult, who follow one of the Dark Muses, Hekati (Mother of Strife). Consider the destruction of things sacred a high art form, so target Imperial Shrineworlds, for example. In this way, they attempt to 'bleed' the gods themselves.

The Seventh Woe - Name refers to the destruction of a maiden moon by Khaine, and the end of innocence. This cult is very demanding of it's members, with many fleeing its harsh regime to join Hellion Gangs - but those that remain are considered amongst the deadliest of all Wyches.

The Blade Denied - Specialise in using an opponent's weapon against them. In the arena this means to face an armed foe weaponless, before disarming and killing them with their own blade. In Realspace raids, this translates to a desire to use a foe's strengths against them.

The Cult Of Strife - Pre-eminent Wych Cult, due to Lelith Hesperax. Hundreds of thousands flock to the arena to watch Commorragh's star dance the night away in the arena. During the rare times Lelith leaves for a Realspace raid, Dark Eldar raids are far more likely as the nobility of Dark City face boredom. Close-ties to the Kabal of the Black heart.

The Wrath Unbound - Enter a killing trance, known to the Eldar as "Khaelas Maenaid", a near berserk-state in which the Wyches of the Cult are as savage and dangerous as the creatures of the Beastmasters, who will fall on friend or foe. Followers of Khaine, the Bloody-handed God. Led by the Succubus Hythnamene Veilblood.

Iracundus
27-02-2011, 12:57
Would have thought there would be something more about Tyranids and the Seventh Woe.

Surely the Cursed Blade being known for treachery is bad for patronage or employment? Why would any Kabal patronize them if they know the Cursed Blade is predicably going to betray them? I suppose some might think they can get the upper hand nevertheless, but still surely that narrows the range of patrons willing to do business with the Cursed Blade. Not all Dark Eldar may hold treachery in such high esteem compared to them.

How does the Pain Eternal Cult get resources or feed if they are purely spacefaring and without an arena for an audience? Who witnesses their spectacles? Do they take their audience along for a show?

The Red Grief is featured in the Dark Eldar Codex along with a Lelith model in its colors, perhaps as representation of its Succubus.

It is a pity that Vect's Kabal and Lelith's Wych Cult should be so closely linked (though we know they are from their color schemes). It just seems too much of an all star team (almost like the Ultramarines over all, but for the Dark Eldar). I know Vect is the most powerful Dark Eldar and it would be likely he would also patronize the strongest Wych Cult, but I just wish the Dark Eldar aren't made out to be just Vect with everything else being just a side show.

Sephiroth
28-02-2011, 09:09
Would have thought there would be something more about Tyranids and the Seventh Woe.

Doesn't mention anything in their blurb.

Surely the Cursed Blade being known for treachery is bad for patronage or employment? Why would any Kabal patronize them if they know the Cursed Blade is predicably going to betray them? I suppose some might think they can get the upper hand nevertheless, but still surely that narrows the range of patrons willing to do business with the Cursed Blade. Not all Dark Eldar may hold treachery in such high esteem compared to them.

Indeed. Evidently they're still popular, it just notes the risk of working with them, "so that even for a well-protected Archon to invite Wyches from the Cult into his palace is tantamount to cutting his own throat".

How does the Pain Eternal Cult get resources or feed if they are purely spacefaring and without an arena for an audience? Who witnesses their spectacles? Do they take their audience along for a show?

It's one of those things I don't think the writer/developers stopped to think about when they were brainstorming ways to make them different. They dock "only once every few years" in the Dark City. "Acts of anarchy and iconoclasm are held as a kind of inverse worship for the Pain Eternal, for they believe in a higher reward than the adulation of the crowd".

The Red Grief is featured in the Dark Eldar Codex along with a Lelith model in its colors, perhaps as representation of its Succubus.

Indeed. I think they were created by a Studio staffer, but they're just like any generic Wych Cult with the exception of preferring mounted/mechanised warfare. No mention of any oddities.

It is a pity that Vect's Kabal and Lelith's Wych Cult should be so closely linked (though we know they are from their color schemes). It just seems too much of an all star team (almost like the Ultramarines over all, but for the Dark Eldar). I know Vect is the most powerful Dark Eldar and it would be likely he would also patronize the strongest Wych Cult, but I just wish the Dark Eldar aren't made out to be just Vect with everything else being just a side show.

To be fair, the Kabal of the Black Heart seem to simply be sponsoring the Cult of Strife because, with Lelith, they're the current crowd-drawer in Commorragh, and even Vect is an admirer of Hesperax. I imagine should she fall, this relationship may fade (or vice versa if someone removes Vect from power).

AlphaLegionMarine
28-02-2011, 11:24
Thanks for this information. It helped me pick a Wych Cult for my Kabal of the Flayed Skull. I think Cult of Red Grief will work well with them.

Idaan
28-02-2011, 15:10
Enter a killing trance, known to the Eldar as "Khaelas Maenaid"
Love it. I always thought that the Maenads would fit the DE background very well: they alrady had bacchanean tendencies, ancient Greek inspirations and very aggressive women.