PDA

View Full Version : High Elf Tactics to Beat Daemons

'lectric-sheep12
04-12-2010, 05:10
Anyone know some good tactics or unit choices for combatting Daemons of Chaos?
Thanks

Ratbeast
04-12-2010, 07:27
teclis, just point and click :rolleyes:

All comes down to what the daemon player fields, if you have a rough idea of what he has in his list would help

jthdotcom
04-12-2010, 08:52
with sensible magic choice teclis is easily killed though. If i was using daemons against high elves, i would have a master of sorcery with life, just to keep dwellers belowiing on teclis, so your points may be better spent elsewhere

RMacDeezy
04-12-2010, 13:38
not to mention siren song him into combat. it doesn't matter if his phoenix guard bunker wins the ensuing combat as long as teclis doesn't survive it. daemon lore of nurgle has a bunch of spells that force toughness tests too. teclis is a pain but any daemon player worth their salt has a few ideas of how to take him down by now. all HE elite choices are good, i'd say SM are the best vs daemons as daemon core all have low T. and life magic (at least from what i've seen) is falling out of favor in daemon circles, being replaced by light in armies with lots of khorne and nurgle, beasts in slaanesh heavy lists, and metal as a good support lore. the daemon lores are all pretty good, lot of people forget about them until plague wind devastates their horde and swamps them in nurglings, or phantasmagoria/glean magic is used.

for the most part daemons have the same strengths and weaknesses as HE. they're very fast, hit really hard in CC and have strong magic, but are not tough and (except for plaguebearers) HATE protracted combats. this may be the one army that HE would actually win a fight of attrition against. my advice is to bring a strong magic phase and bring units that can outlast him in combat. avoid LoLife as this lore is decent but falls to mediocre against daemons and becomes sub-par if ToV is stopped. what do you expect to face?

Darnok
04-12-2010, 15:09
Thread moved to the WHF Tactics section.

Darnok [=I=]

scruffyryan
04-12-2010, 21:12
Depending on the demons you fight this might be an army that elven shooting has some serious legs to it for. Outside of plaguebringers (which i dont see played very often anymore) the majority of the army is toughness 3 and almost entirely melee oriented. If you're running into a lot of fast units (things like pleasureseekers and fiends) it might have some issues but the ability to whittle down blocks of expensive troops by a rank or 2 and then asf them gives you a real chance at keeping them from being stubborn and allowing you to disintegrate their units in 1 round of CC

Shnerg
04-12-2010, 22:27
Try a horde of 40 LSG. Deployed 10x4 you get 40 attacks, not to mention shots from the bows. I'm sure 40 attacks would destroy pretty much anything. And SMoH. Take a large number (24 perhaps, 8x3) will destroy loads of shizzle.

Tarian
04-12-2010, 22:29
Dragon Princes to hunt Flamers/Tzeentch unit works well too, not as well as before, but a 2++ is still nice.

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
04-12-2010, 23:19
Anyone know some good tactics or unit choices for combatting Daemons of Chaos?
Thanks

Well I haven't have the pleasure of fighting demons but have tried using Lore of light for your mages and/or equipping your hard hitting units with magic weapons/bound items spells or the amulet of light?

Tarian
04-12-2010, 23:40
Standard of Sundering makes Light a dangerous Lore, and they lost their Ward doesn't work against Magic rule.

w3rm
04-12-2010, 23:59
2 lvl 1 light wizards and 1 lvl 4 light wizard iwth book of hoeth. 3d6 str 6 hits ftw!! Should munch up any daemon core and is wounding the greater daemons on 4's! Plus you still get all those lovely spells like Pha's protection and so forth. WS 10 and I10 means even that keeper is no getting his re rolls and if the bsb is a herald of tzeentch or herald of khorne with FSB then hunt him down with a noble on an eagle with White Sword and Dragon Armour!

Tarian
05-12-2010, 00:45
Actually, nobody gets ASF rerolls against HE, since all our units have ASF.

RMacDeezy
06-12-2010, 17:40
2 lvl 1 light wizards and 1 lvl 4 light wizard iwth book of hoeth. 3d6 str 6 hits ftw!! Should munch up any daemon core and is wounding the greater daemons on 4's! Plus you still get all those lovely spells like Pha's protection and so forth. WS 10 and I10 means even that keeper is no getting his re rolls and if the bsb is a herald of tzeentch or herald of khorne with FSB then hunt him down with a noble on an eagle with White Sword and Dragon Armour!

as stated before, this is a good idea, until you find out that your opponent brought the standard of sundering! your entire magic phase will be gone. and the -2 to cast alone sees to the fact that it is found semi-regularly in daemon lists. this would be a good tactic against undead but its too risky against daemons. you DO NOT want DoC to gain the upper hand in the magic phase, especially if you're HE

Trains_Get_Robbed
06-12-2010, 20:09
Easiest way to defeat demons? Stack up on C.R. Seriously.

Take D.P for sure and hunt down his flamming units with these, take S.M (and W.L if you can) and 25 man blocks and up of Spears.

Make sure to hit each demon unit either one on one, or supported with your units. If at any point they get a second unit in on combat, it becomes a mess and essnetially impossible to come out on top (yes, this is even if you have 3 or four of your units to their 2).

For magic, I personally go for buffs as opposed to killy, but thats just my playstyle. However this being said, Demons has to be one of the easiest armies for me to take care of (even since 7th O.o).

warplock
07-12-2010, 03:06
A Prince on a barded steed with the Vambraces of Defence, heavy armour, and an enchanted shield, can last many rounds of combat against most permutations of the Greater Daemons (even a Bloodthirster). As long as you can take your armour saves, and they haven't made it S10, you should be able to save nearly 90% of all wounds suffered. The Prince will not be able to kill it and will die eventually but the aim is to tie up the 500-600pt Daemon with a much, much cheaper model for 3 or 4 turns, giving you an advantage over the rest of the field.

Tarian
07-12-2010, 05:26
Always take the Dragon Armor, just in case its either A) A Daemon of Tzeentch, or B) Has the Firestorm Blade. A 1+ Rerollable followed by a 2++ is rock solid, not as good as pure immunity though...

Rake
07-12-2010, 09:33
It depends on how much you want your opponent to enjoy the game. If you just want to win put Teclis in a 15 man Phoenix Guard Bunker with your BSB with Banner of the World Dragon, park this IMMEDIATELY behind your obligatory White Lion horde (or 24 man unit if less than 2.5K). Take your Sword Masters block on your right, your Spearman block on your left and laugh at the poor sod. After the deployment phase is over, right before the battle starts taunt the poor fool who dares play against Teclis and the Men in Pointy Hats, the Everchosen of GW and their dumb rules, by implying you might take Life magic. Then dash his hopes, pick Shadow and laugh. Without any shooting he is pretty much screwed.

If you feel like actually playing the game, leave irresistible magic at home, make a balanced force and take him on. It will be a tough battle deamons fell some but not too much.