PDA

View Full Version : 2000 pt Bretonnians, new to 8th

The Beast Walks Among Us
04-12-2010, 15:06
(Also posted at the Roundtable of Bretonnia)
Hi guys,
I have a tournament coming up in Jan and am trying to put together a 2000 pt Bretonnian army. I have not yet played a game of 8th, so obviously whatever help I can get would be great.

Lords:
Lord - warhorse, sword of strife (+2A), cuirass of fortune, virtue of heroism, shield, knight's vow - 234
Prophetess - Warhorse, dispel Scroll, Life - 265

Heroes:
Paladin - BSB, gromril great helm, sword of might - 124

Core:
40 M@A - Musician, SB - 215
8 KotR - Musician, SB - 216
16 Peasant Bowmen - Braziers, musician, SB - 116

Special:
4 Pegasus Knights - Musician - 230
5 Questing Knights - Musician, SB, banner of eternal flame - 177

Rare:
Trebuchet - 90

Total: 1999
-----------

Any comments? Should I drop some archers for a second trebuchet? Thanks very much in advance -- Brian

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
04-12-2010, 16:30
(Also posted at the Roundtable of Bretonnia)
Hi guys,
I have a tournament coming up in Jan and am trying to put together a 2000 pt Bretonnian army. I have not yet played a game of 8th, so obviously whatever help I can get would be great.

Lords:
Lord - warhorse, sword of strife (+2A), cuirass of fortune, virtue of heroism, shield, knight's vow - 234
Prophetess - Warhorse, dispel Scroll, Life - 265

Heroes:
Paladin - BSB, gromril great helm, sword of might - 124

Core:
40 M@A - Musician, SB - 215

Special:
4 Pegasus Knights - Musician - 230
5 Questing Knights - Musician, SB, banner of eternal flame - 177

Rare:
Trebuchet - 90

Total: 1999
-----------

Any comments? Should I drop some archers for a second trebuchet? Thanks very much in advance -- Brian

For Bretonnian Armies that have to rely on Knights it's best if you try to get as many ranks for the lance formations. I'd suggest bring the KOtR units to at least 12 models each for a rank of bonus of 3 plus the standard bearer bonus to help strip steadfast away from the units they are assaulting.

The Peagsus Knights are nice models but due to their special rules they won't be able to cause disruptions for flank & rear charges so I'd suggest to trade in the points for those figures for the additional knights of the realms & trebuchet.

Also if you want to use the virtue of heroism note that it won't work with magic weapons (as I didn't see if you paid the points for a lance for your lord).

If I may suggest the following changes if you have the figures:

Lord: 240 pts.
equipment: lance, shield, & barded warhorse
magic items: birth-sword of carcassonne, cuirass of fortune, & virtue of heroism

4th. Prophetess of the Lady: 260 pts. (Life)
Warhorse & Chalice of Malfleur

BSB: 130 pts.
equipment: lance, shield, & barded warhorse
magic items: gromril great helm & sword of might

11 KOtR w/full command with banner of swiftness: 303 pts.
11 KOtR w/full command: 288 pts.

40 M@A - Musician, SB - 215 pts.
10 Peasant Bowmen - Braziers, musician, SB - 80 pts.
10 Peasant Bowmen - Braziers, musician, SB - 80 pts.

8 Questing knights: 224 pts.

2x Trebuchets: 180 pts.

Total: 2000 pts.

Ok, now that lord is armed with a lance the virtue can work on the first turn he charges on. If that fails then he can try to wound with the birth-sword with a STR 5 with opponents having to re-roll armor saves for successful wounds.

The knights now have a rank bonus of 3 plus the standard bonus to help out with CR results and the ability to strip away steadfast from units if you can pull off multiple charges. I also equipped one of the KOtR units with the banner of swiftness so you can charge out at 2d6+9 (I'd put the Lord in this unit).

I also increased the number in the Questing Knights so that the Prophetess has someplace to go as well as provide a rank bonus for those knights to help with the lance formation.

And finally you now have 2 trebuchets to rein destruction on your opponents regiments.

All of this was accomplished by trading in the pegasus knights and 12 of the archers.

I hope that helps.

The Beast Walks Among Us
05-12-2010, 00:55
Thanks very much for the response. As you mentioned I am a bit restricted by the figures I have available, and lances of 12 might not be doable I guess I'll have to rely on trebuchets/magic to thin down enemy ranks and take away steadfast. Do you have problems with manouvering such large lances? Even with 9 I find them a bit unwieldy.

My understanding is that the virtue of heroism is OK to use with a magic weapon now, since according to the errata, it grants the 'heroic killing blow' special rule, which makes no mention of any magic weapon restrictions. But I'll let someone who knows the rules better clarify it.

I'm a little surprised you would drop the peg knights. It seems like with the vanguard move, fast cav rules, and stomp, they've actually improved. However this is pure speculation since I haven't played them in 8th yet.

Have you had much luck with archers? They seem great on paper but with such large units these days, I dont know if S3 shooting will make a huge difference. I do like the new rules for stakes though.

Anyway, your help is much appreciated, thanks again -- Brian

Ravenar
05-12-2010, 04:27
You are correct. Virtue of Heroism now works with magical weapons as per the amendments posted on the GW site.

Personally, I find that my Questing Knights in groups of 9 die quickly. I fear you may see only 5 disappear before you get more than 2-3 wounds from their S6 attacks.

I do agree with ethe above poster that 12 strong lances are the way to go.

All in all, it seems to be a good infantry list. I prefer playing mainly Knights myself, but that tends to be hard in 8th edtion.