PDA

View Full Version : Mordheim - First time player

The Grand Wazoo
15-03-2006, 19:43
Right. So I'm about to start playing in a campaign at my local games store with a Witch Hunters warband. Been reading through some of the other Mordheims threads for advice, and I'm starting to get an idea of how things work.

Anyway, this is the list I've come up with, is it a viable starting warband?

Captain - Hammer, Sword

Warrior Priest - Hammer, Mace

Witch Hunter - Dagger, Crossbow, Sword

Witch Hunter - Dagger, Crossbow, Sword

Witch Hunter - Hammer, Mace

Flagellant - Flail

Flagellant - Flail

2 Warhounds

Zealot - Dagger, Shortbow, Spear

Zealot - 2 Daggers, Shortbow

Zealot - 2 Daggers, Shortbow

Comes to 499gc, fills all available Hero slots at start-up and is at max size 12 models.

cardboard_armour
15-03-2006, 20:31
Zealots are kinda rubbish. I can see that you want a bit of shoooting but short bows will do nothing but whisk Angel Delight. Even then it'd take a couple of tries.
Get more Flagellents. For their price they are just fantastic. DEATH FROM ABEARD.

McMullet
15-03-2006, 23:07
Zealots are OK, but don't waste time giving them ranged weapons. They're fine with basic close combat weapons as charge takers/cover for your important warriors. Buying extra daggers is a waste of GCs, for an extra GC you get a mace, which is much better. Lose the shortbows, and give them maces. Also, upgrade the third witch hunter to have a sword, the parry is worth having.

Odin
16-03-2006, 11:17
Yup, I agree with McMullett. Zealots are good becaue they provide you with cheap numbers. Mine got an extra attack an Ws each, and became pretty tasty in combat as well. Mace and Dagger is a good choice for them as well. With Bs2 they couldn't hit a barn door at 2 paces, so don't bother with shortbows.

Your Captain on the other hand has Bs4, so it might be worth getting him a missile weapon. Crossbow pistol has an acceptable range, and allows you to shoot someone who's charging at you. Crossbow is also good, especially if you have a few of them with trick-shooter, nimble and/or fast shot.

The Grand Wazoo
16-03-2006, 20:09
Have my first 3 battles under my belt, one a 4-way battle, and I think I've done okay. No deaths(Except for a doggie. Big deal) or injuries.

My captain has gotten the Fearsome skill, one hero has gotten +BS, another one Wyrdstone Hunter, warrior priest has gotten +1I, one Zealot got promoted to a hero with +1W and my flagellants both gained +1A... and I've made enough money to equip all 6 heros with Lucky Charms and buy 3 heavy armour.

Looking good so far, and great fun :)

ashc
20-03-2006, 21:18
sounds like you are off to a fine start then; are you levelling your WH Heroes as shooters or combat chaps out of curiosity?

Ash

The Grand Wazoo
21-03-2006, 07:53
sounds like you are off to a fine start then; are you levelling your WH Heroes as shooters or combat chaps out of curiosity?

Ash

Mix of both, I guess.. I have two WH heroes with crossbows, the rest of the guys are going for close combat.

ashc
22-03-2006, 11:17
sounds like a pretty good idea, always thought the Witch Hunters benefitted nicely from a good number of pistols handy when it comes to the inevitable combats.

Ash

McMullet
22-03-2006, 11:29
If you want to buy pistols, Duelling Pistols are a steal. They aren't that much more expensive, but the extra range and positive to hit modifier makes them useful for shooting, and gives you a nice bonus in combat, too.

Velkyn Kyil
22-03-2006, 12:03
Witch Hunters need weapons training to use Duelling pistols though, don't they?

McMullet
22-03-2006, 15:29
That's a good point, actually, they do.