PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Beastmen Army

WolfGuardChris
04-12-2010, 16:41
If I were to start a Beastmen army where would be a good place to start? Which lord should I get and what special units should I be looking to purchase? Are large infantry blocks effective? What are their most effective strategies? Should I even bother with Beastmen? They got a new army book recently I hear but was it a good one?

Thanks

Torpedo Vegas
04-12-2010, 16:56
Holy crap where to start. I'm not the authority on beastmen around here so I will awnser the non beasty questions.

Large infantry blocks aren't "effective", they're what basically runs the entire game. They aren't good, they ate great, and its generally a good idea to have a large block of infantry at your army's core.

Brastmen haven't gotten a new book this edition, and they're book isn't that great, but if you like the look of the army or are a skilful player its shouldn't matter.

Have you read the 8th edition Rulebook? Do you have any idea how it works?

EDIT: Try and make your topic name relevant the topic. I thought this was a thread about making rules for literal chaos goats.

Harwammer
04-12-2010, 20:10
If I were to start a Beastmen army where would be a good place to start? batalions. The mordheim beastman box gives you some good models too.
Which lord should I get and what special units should I be looking to purchase? beastlord is best. Great shaman is handy too. You get good models to represent the shaman from the mordheim range. Bestigor blocks are good specials. Harpies help too.
Are large infantry blocks effective? deep ungors for steadfast, gors lead by a banner of beasts/gnarled hide bsb wargor are good too. You can get all these troops cheaper in the batallion
What are their most effective strategies? Bestigor horde with beastlord and banner of discipline with a nearby unit of gor with the previously mentioned banner of beasts bsb. Ungor horde for third block. Shamans with the lore of beasts to wildform the core troops. Chalice stalls warmachines while the troops reach combat. Harpies chase fleeing troops off the board.
Should I even bother with Beastmen? They got a new army book recently I hear but was it a good one? if you like the models and don't mind playimg a low shooting/armour/cav army then go for it. Beastmen received the most recent new book, but many perceive it to be weaker than a new book should be.
Thanks
No probs!

mrtn
05-12-2010, 02:45
I agree with Harwammer for the most part. :) Two battalions is a good start (though I'd prefer to buy one, paint it and buy another. Possibly even a third.). Shamans are easily converted from gors (put a GS hood over their head), and a beastlord and/or BSB from the bestigors.

Take a look on the Herdstone forum if you like, a dedicated beastmen forum (see the link in my signature).

H33D
05-12-2010, 18:42
Get a Beastlord, a Lvl 4 Bray-Shaman (or just a lvl 1/2 caddy if you don't want magic), and either a Wargor BSB or a Gorebull one if you like and are bringing Minotaurs.

Don't worry about large infantry blocks with Beastmen. Take 15-25 size Gor units with 2 hand weapons, and Ungor Herds with spears and shields in units 25+ size units (both sized to your taste).

Bring a large Bestigor unit of size 25+ (I say 40 including characters) as it is the best unit Beastmen get and makes a perfect bunker for characters.

Don't spend too many points on characters or monsters. Let your units do the work. Outmaneuver, combo charge, and flank your opponent. You units really do shine in close combat, so get them there!