PDA

View Full Version : Worst Looking Good Unit?

Shnerg
04-12-2010, 17:10
Hey all,
I am curious what you all think the worst looking good unit is.

Bergen Beerbelly
04-12-2010, 17:22
Well for me I think the Striking Scorpion models of the Eldar look pretty bad but they do a good job of tearing up stuff. They could use a re-sculpt because to me they look like a bad copy of the Predator alien from the Predator movies.

Shnerg
04-12-2010, 17:24
I reckon Howling Banshees. They can mince units like Quentin Crisp can generally mince, but look like someone lit their heads on fire, and let them run around.

Hicks
04-12-2010, 18:43
The current plague marines are atrocious. I can't believe the old ones got replaced by these. The old imagery was lost and replaced by what mostly looks like normal CSMs dunked into acetone (only one of them was deemed good enough to join my DG). I'm glad that FW resurected the old style with the PM upgrades... but not at FW prices and I would much prefer whole models for them (the legs don't fit at all with the rest of the mini).

I also agree that the current Banshees aren't the best, the previous ones were better IMO.

And while we're at it, I think the bad unit with the best model prize has to go to the Lictor. The current figure looks totally gorgeous, but this thing is just so bad in game.

LonelyPath
04-12-2010, 18:56
I love Chaos Terminators, I just hate the models, so I convert mine from regular SM termies.

Culgore
04-12-2010, 19:06
Obliteraters are pretty terrible looking, but are generally considered must haves. I refuse to field them... until I convert up my own

Simo429
04-12-2010, 19:39
Ragnar, one of the worst models games workshop have

I agree with Chaos terminators, if I were going to use them I would be tempted to use 5 lords

scar face
04-12-2010, 19:43
Well for me I think the Striking Scorpion models of the Eldar look pretty bad but they do a good job of tearing up stuff. They could use a re-sculpt because to me they look like a bad copy of the Predator alien from the Predator movies.

Striking scorpions? There are one of my favourite looking units.

For me, it would have to be the avatar.

scar

dragonet111
04-12-2010, 19:43

I agree with Chaos terminators, if I were going to use them I would be tempted to use 5 lords

Maybe not as blatant but Tycho also need a new mini, the new art in the codex is really good need a mini to match that.

Gmaleron
04-12-2010, 19:45
-Ragnar for Space Wolves.

-Pask for Guard

Krovin-Rezh
04-12-2010, 19:48
Fiends of Slaanesh take the cake.

Simo429
04-12-2010, 19:53
Think we have a winner with that one.

Deamonettes look awesome as well so why are the fiends so poor?

Shnerg
04-12-2010, 19:59
Actually, you might have it there. Or Beasts of Nurgle. Proper demented.

anewhope
04-12-2010, 21:00
Mephiston is an awful looking miniature. The pose is terrible and bunging a standard Space Marine backpack on looks bad, it doesn't give him the air of one of the most powerful units in the entire army at all.

Da Reddaneks
04-12-2010, 21:13
Ork Wartracks and/or Warbuggies ... Very effective for their cost. Yet a remnant still left over from the Gorkamorka era. They are as aesthetically displeasing as anything in the game at the moment.

Reflex
04-12-2010, 21:51
Dark eldar models... oh wait they got re done.. few, dodged a bullet thar...

Ork lootas look horrible imo. remind me of the original marine devastators.

LonelyPath
04-12-2010, 22:35

Ugh, I'd forgotten about Ragnar.

With the rate I'm being CSMT Lords I may have enough to use as termies at some point, lol!

xxRavenxx
04-12-2010, 22:58
I'm surprised at this list.

Ragnar is a bit 2D, but a fine sculpt. Mephisto is also nice, especially given his age. Hes a bit 80s, with his gloves and all, but hes still solid and has some great detail.

Scorps and banshees both have fantastic sculpts.

Fiends are definately horrible, The avatar is an atrocity.

I think plastic cadians (with their huge heads) is possibly a high ranking ***** must have :P (Yes I know you could use a different model set, but face it, cadians are the basics).

I also have a personal hatred for the tau battlesuits. Those dumb square bodys really annoy me.

superczhunk
04-12-2010, 23:11
Fiends looks great! What's wrong with them? They're an excellent update of the old unrankable ones. I suppose people are looking for a more lithe, sexy model? The Beast of Nurgle is much worse.

My vote is for Tau Battlesuits...Forge World has the upper hand with those models.

Shnerg
04-12-2010, 23:12
Really? It's the bodies and not the stupidly small heads that get you?

Raibaru
05-12-2010, 00:00
Obliterators easily. One of the best units in the chaos codex with easily the most hideous model ever to come out of modern day games workshop.

Vaktathi
05-12-2010, 00:03
Ragnar/Jain Zar/Eldar Warlocks/Avatar/Wartrakks/Warbuggies/Obliterators/Eldar Jetbikes/any of the old DE range/etc

Toldavf
05-12-2010, 02:13
I would have to say chaos possessed.

DeviantApostle
05-12-2010, 03:03
Obliterators have to take the cake - horrible looking AND expensive - but honorable mentions always have to go to Abaddon and Logan Grimnar.

Ok, they're old, we've gone through a scale change but how the heck did we go through two codex updates without new models yet? When they go at each other, it's like watching Napoleon Bonaparte slap fighting Danny Divito.

Born Again
05-12-2010, 10:05
The current plague marines are atrocious. I can't believe the old ones got replaced by these. The old imagery was lost and replaced by what mostly looks like normal CSMs dunked into acetone (only one of them was deemed good enough to join my DG). I'm glad that FW resurected the old style with the PM upgrades... but not at FW prices and I would much prefer whole models for them (the legs don't fit at all with the rest of the mini).

Yeah, the Citadel ones are horrible, only 1 in the box that I think is just ok. I went with the lovely FW ones, it's not hard to cut up the feet a bit to make them match the torsos. Hopefully GW will redo PM's as a plastic kit taking FW's as a lead... but I'm not holding my breath. With FW prices though, I won't be doing my Death Guard army any time soon.

They looked horrible when I first saw them in WD, but are better when I have seen them in person. Still a bit of a let down on the potential they have though.

To everyone saying Ragnar, give the guy a break. That model is over 15 years old!

DDogwood
05-12-2010, 14:28
Obliterators, for sure. Not only are they ugly, but they are just as ugly as the ugly models they replaced.

Zweischneid
05-12-2010, 14:34
Obliterators.

traeplien
05-12-2010, 15:00
Abaddon and Logan Grimnar.

Ok, they're old, we've gone through a scale change but how the heck did we go through two codex updates without new models yet? When they go at each other, it's like watching Napoleon Bonaparte slap fighting Danny Divito.

This is getting sigged. :D

In other news, I can't believe no one has said GW's Greater Daemon of Khorne/Bloodthirster! It's a winged, red, gorilla-cow.

burning crome
05-12-2010, 15:08
The thing with models like Mephiston, Ragnar and tycho is you have to factor in their age. The improvements in casting and the generally bulking out of the current lines make them look a little to small and flat compared to new(er) IC but they where and still are good sculpts.

I also kind of like the current plague marines. The ones I canít stand are the dumbing down and catoonifing of the daemons. It started with the 40K nuglin prince. And whist I can just about take the blood letters and daemonettes (thier still not a patch on the metal sculpts before) the horror are just plan bad.

Steel Legion for Life
05-12-2010, 15:26
Plastic Catachans - obviously, guard infantry is pretty good in game, but the basic catachan plastic Guardsman is HIDEOUS.

Look at the arms - with BULGING muscles so big they literally couldn't possible touch their own shoulders. All of the faces look melted. The Heavy weapon crews & command box, which were done without the BULGING MANLY ARMS actually make the originals look worse, as it shows that you can make models look muscular without them looking stupid.

Oh, and, while he's not in the ruleset anymore, Captain Cortez is probably in the running for ugliest space marine model ever released.

sidcom
05-12-2010, 17:25
for me, it would be DE Warp Beasts, it is probably ugliest model ever made by GW

Hendarion
05-12-2010, 17:35
Obliterators (all of them sucked) and 3rd Edition Striking Scorpions (the current ones rock!).

J.P. Biff
05-12-2010, 17:45
Obliteraters are pretty terrible looking, but are generally considered must haves. I refuse to field them... until I convert up my own

Second!! :D

Sgt John Keel
05-12-2010, 18:05
I must be the only one who kind of like the Obliterators. Honestly, they're not awful?

As for the topic, I think i will nominate the plastic Leman Russ (with variants). The modified Ryza pattern turrets with Mars Alpha pattern hulls look so much better it's ridiculous.

Anaxagoras
05-12-2010, 18:13
I must be the only one who kind of like the Obliterators. Honestly, they're not awful?

As for the topic, I think i will nominate the plastic Leman Russ (with variants). The modified Ryza pattern turrets with Mars Alpha pattern hulls look so much better it's ridiculous.

No, I like them a great deal as well.

insectum7
05-12-2010, 19:50

I agree, I love the Obliterator minis, I think GW did a sub-par paint job on their studio models.

I think the Avatar is one of the best models of the range, even after nearly two decades.

I dislike the SM terminators though. Too big and waving their arms around like they're doing the windmill. You can improve them with careful assembly, but I still think they're some of the worst in the SM range.

burning crome
05-12-2010, 21:37
Plastic Catachans - obviously, guard infantry is pretty good in game, but the basic catachan plastic Guardsman is HIDEOUS.

I forgotten about them why on god earth were they not updated with the new boxes.

DeviantApostle
05-12-2010, 22:15
Ok, if we can look back into the past for a minute, I've got 2 contenders.

Lamartes. Not the current one that's kinda cool, the previous Lemartes who looked like he was the weediest space marine ever, his toothpick legs unable to hold up his jumpack and a helmet that looked like he'd woken up and put a pisspot on his head (assuming that commodes are skull shaped in the Imperium like everything else).

Ok, this isn't so much a single contender as a gigantic WTF moment in 40K history. The 3rd edition Tyranid line... WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!?

Sgt John Keel
05-12-2010, 22:48
I agree, I love the Obliterator minis, I think GW did a sub-par paint job on their studio models.

I think the Avatar is one of the best models of the range, even after nearly two decades.

I dislike the SM terminators though. Too big and waving their arms around like they're doing the windmill. You can improve them with careful assembly, but I still think they're some of the worst in the SM range.

Absolutely true. I like the previous metal termies much better (especially the lightning claw armed). On that topic, all (most) of the more modern lightning claws look awful.

destroyerlord
06-12-2010, 00:27
Oh, and, while he's not in the ruleset anymore, Captain Cortez is probably in the running for ugliest space marine model ever released.
This wins the bad model thread, but he wasn't a particularly powerful unit, just an ordinary Captain with a powerfist and iron halo IIRC.

I don't understand the Abbadon/Logan hate going on here. These models are both fantastic sculpts, way ahead of their time. If you compare them to the other models that were out at the time (early 3rd/late 2nd ed.) they are so much better its not funny. Even more recently it was these models that instructed the re-design of terminators from old 'I can't move my arms' look to the newer look on larger bases.
Abbadon won the best GW model of all time back in 2002/3 (can't remember exactly), and I think he would still be up there, even against some of the amazing minis that have been produced since. (He is a lot better than Lysander, for example, IMO).

Azazyll
06-12-2010, 01:08
Leaving out the models that have been in the game longer than I have (Ragnar, the Avatar, and just squeaking in the month after Abaddon), all of which were amazing for their time, I'm going to have to go with the Necron Monolith. It's not just the giant dime store candy gem on top. The whole monolith concept is overdeveloped. It should be sleek and simple, instead it's squat and blocky, the angles are all wrong, and the weapons dangle off it haphazardly. I look forward to the day they are redone.

And we might be speaking to soon - I'm not thrilled with what I've seen of the Stormraven.

+1 for the obliterators not being that bad. They are a thousand times better than the first batch.

- Catachans are also terrible and disproportionate, but they aren't that good a unit.

Retribution
06-12-2010, 01:19
Obliterators just look...terrible

I'm not a big fan of the current generic Crisis Suits either, and most of the Ork line is just...meh i guess, i think DoWII killed their aesthetic for me

eyescrossed
06-12-2010, 02:06
The Stormraven looks horrid, IMO

Brotheroracle
06-12-2010, 02:38
I'm sorry but the horrid-ness of the razorgor for the beastmen in fantasy takes the cake! Great unit but the model is so horrible it crosses the boundaries of any game system.

cshaw
06-12-2010, 03:34
personally i would go with ratlings or ogryns from IG

Maskedman5oh4
06-12-2010, 05:47
Has no one mentioned Doomrider yet? :eyebrows:

Souleater
06-12-2010, 12:38
Wracks - they're horribly horrible.

eyescrossed
06-12-2010, 13:07
They have models?

Wade Wilson
06-12-2010, 14:18
3rd Edition carnifex.

Back when the carnies were pretty epic and badass they replaced the iconic tank eating, plasma vomiting Screamer Killer with...a grining crabman?

Why???

ColShaw
06-12-2010, 14:30
I second the Monolith. Whenever I see it on the field, I can't help referring to it as the "Giant Floating Ring-Pop". That plastic gem... yeesh.

LonelyPath
06-12-2010, 15:04
3rd Edition carnifex.

Back when the carnies were pretty epic and badass they replaced the iconic tank eating, plasma vomiting Screamer Killer with...a grining crabman?

Why???

That was a Rogue Trader model, it was released somewhere around WD 140 along with the original Hive Tyrant and boxes of warriors (previously seen in Advanced Space Crucade).

Having you mention the 3rd Ed. Nids though, those ones were all horrible to my eyes, but I still like the RT releases for them.

GrogDaTyrant
06-12-2010, 15:43
Lootas take my vote. Love the unit. Hate the stupid 'harness-gun' setup. But I play Orks, so that doesn't stop me from using them. I just use custom models outfitted with weapons from every other race in the game.

Wade Wilson
06-12-2010, 16:24
That was a Rogue Trader model, it was released somewhere around WD 140 along with the original Hive Tyrant and boxes of warriors (previously seen in Advanced Space Crucade).

Having you mention the 3rd Ed. Nids though, those ones were all horrible to my eyes, but I still like the RT releases for them.

Oh no, i loved the original carnifex. Still have it. Loved the original Hive Tyrant too. it makes for a brilliant tyranid Prime. It was the 3rd edition Carnifex (between the rogue trader and 4th edition current fex) that i hated. ;)