PDA

View Full Version : Using Larger Bases

von HaŁtenmeister
04-12-2010, 19:27
I've been thinking of putting my crypt ghouls on 25 mm bases rather than the 20 mm they come with so they rank up easier.

Is this legal?

TMATK
04-12-2010, 22:14
I've been thinking of putting my crypt ghouls on 25 mm bases rather than the 20 mm they come with so they rank up easier.

Is this legal?

Technically not legal, you're supposed to put them on the bases they came with.

Grimskarr
04-12-2010, 22:16
I would say no. If you mount them on 25mm bases you will have a smaller fighting frontage (less models in combat) than when on 20mm bases. This will be to your detriment in Close Combat.

However, when you're opponent attacks your unit with a template (ie. spell or war machine), he will be unable to cover the correct number of ghouls making your unit more difficult to damage. This is not OK at all.

If you're having difficulty ranking up your ghouls, consider being creative with the 20mm bases. One idea is to change the levels of alternating models so that they don't interfere with their neighbours as much. You might do this by having the unit modeled to be running over gravestones or broken, rocky ground.

von HaŁtenmeister
05-12-2010, 01:44
So, not legal... wish I asked before I did it.

BUT, I bit the bullet and re-based them. All fifteen crypt ghouls are back on their 20s now.

TMATK
05-12-2010, 01:51
It's a good idea to use plastic cement when trying to rank up models. It lets you adjust the poses while the glue sets so you can be sure they rank up, rather then super glue which sets almost instantly.

If they're already assembled and aren't ranking, cut their arms off and glue them again. :) It's a pain but I've done it before.

Maybe you already know all this, just thought I would mention it.

T10
05-12-2010, 15:49
Using different bases breaks with convention, but is it illegal?

I can't find anything in the rule book about this. Did I miss something?

-T10

TMATK
05-12-2010, 15:51
Using different bases breaks with convention, but is it illegal?

I can't find anything in the rule book about this. Did I miss something?

-T10

p80, Models and Base Sizes.

WusteGeist
06-12-2010, 03:56
Ok while it is not legal there is something the OP could have done to avoid the cost of more bases. Measure out the exact MM of however wide his unit was on 20's (ie 5wide is 100mm 6 wide 120 so on), and make sure the new bases fit into that exact fitting. This is the basis (pun worthy here), for doing a army that is on different size bases using the thematic excuse. Example, a friend was going to do a unit of zombies with high elf chariots in the fray as if they had crashed into the zombies and there chariots got overrun. Different size bases would have been used but the frontage would have been a known. Another example, I am working on corsairs that will have the look of walking up a beach head, so I will be using 40mm bases and 20mm bases, with rocks and the odd corsair creeping up the watery front.

T10
06-12-2010, 06:46
40mm bases can also be used to represent four models (2x2). You can group your ghouls a bit more tightly on this one base. Other models should rank up nicely around them.

-T10